Mark daly at it again

1. If this is true it's absolutely disgusting and whoever decided to not report it deserves everything they get.

2. I note how the only evidence is that Rangers News did not mention why he was sacked. That seems extremely circumstantial... The fact police have no report of something that happened 30 years ago is not evidence to me.

That said it should be investigated to the bottom of it.

It’s clearly obvious Daly is not going to let this go as it’s not the first time he’s claimed this. This is a serious accusation levelled at our club and if unchallenged, will prove damaging.
I’m hoping this turns out to be the big opportunity for Rangers FC to now call for a full independent public enquiry into sexual abuse at all football clubs in Scotland. It should also be the opportunity for our club to call for sanctions against those clubs who have already admitted liability in a court of law.

From 2016:

"Rangers is now aware of an alleged incident involving an individual who worked very briefly for the club more than 25 years ago.

"It's understood the individual was dismissed immediately and that the police were informed.

"Rangers wishes to stress that all employees adhere to the strictest codes of conduct, especially when dealing with children and young people.

"Rangers have not been approached by Police Scotland or any authority regarding this allegation."

So, the bit in bold. Where did Rangers get that information/understanding from in 2016? The club need to come out and clarify this. Anyone there at the time needs to be questioned.

Not interested in the other club or "hollicom". This is our club and if they've failed this guy then I want those responsible punished.

A statement from Graeme Souness and/or Walter Smith confirming that the incident was reported to the Police might not go amiss.

I will tell you something for an absolute fact, because I know of the family, the victim’s (who rightly won’t be named) father was a serving police officer at the time this took place. It was reported alright. They will try an hide behind entire anonymity and avoid reporting that because it suits the agenda.

When you sack someone for something like that, you CANNOT put reasons like “he was accused of being a paedophile” - it doesn’t work like that.

Last edited:
In 1991, police raised Crime Reports on paper forms. They were not yet computerised.

This alleged incident was not witnessed and if Neely was interviewed, it would have been done under caution. If he denied the allegation, or maintained his right to remain silent, there would have been no corroboration to the allegation. It would have been his word against the boys and insufficient evidence to report the matter to the PF.

I don't wish to make light of the incident, but the boy wasn't indecently assaulted, he had his trousers pulled down, with the threat of having his bum spanked for being naughty, but no spanking took place. As an isolated incident, it could easily have been construed by cops that if the incident did happen, it was possibly a joke that was taken too far and wasn't crime of the century.

The outcome would have been scribbled on the back of the form and it would have been sent for filing as enquiry complete.

The chances of a paper report where no crime was established still being around almost 30 years later, are pretty remote.

Daly is trying to make something out of nothing and this stinks of a certain PR Company working for the Bheasts From The East, stoking the flames and trying to deflect blame.

That’s my feeling about this.

Rangers chased the guy - trying to insinuate that a brief article stating someone had left the club using the standard phrases amounts to dishonesty or a cover-up is pretty desperate.

Comments from the ‘victim’ don’t ring true, in my opinion.

The Rangers News clipping about Neely departure is being used in a manner which would lead you to believe the club were complicit in his behaviour. It’s very short and to the point - and why would a Rangers News employee be expected to know the ins and outs of his departure when it’s the subject of a report to the police about an incredibly serious matter which may, or may not, turn out to be true?

Lastly, the implication is clearly given that Rangers facilitated Neely continued involvement in football when he set up a private vehicle to run soccer classes. No club, or individual, had or has the ability to stop the activities of a private individual when the police can’t. That is an impossibilist scenario.

These two points are very important. The PROOF they have is an paragraph in the club newspaper, there is no way the club is telling them what happened. Would leave themselves open to being sued by him.

Also he never worked for another club, there is a reason for that.

Lets have a full enquiry into what happened at all clubs. But no they would rather hide.

You would think the league campaign was about to start back after a p!sh international break with rangers sitting at the top of the league.
wee bit of mischief make me think!
Holllllllllllliiiiiiiicccccoooommmm is that’s you!!
:eek:

Surprised Rangers haven’t commented and met this head on. Should call on an open investigation and we should apologise and pay compensation ASAP

This cvnt Daly went head to head with the septic hierarchy once and was shot down, seems now he's hunting where no one will hunt him!!!!!,for fvck sake let's get into these b@stards, let's protect our name!!!!!!
Meanwhile across the city???????.

Disappointed that Neely abused after leaving us as well. Sadly we can’t go back in time and change history; so we must try and right some past wrongs. Rangers should be leading Scottish football on this issue; show the scum how to do it

I will tell you something for an absolute fact, because I know of the family, the victim’s (who rightly won’t be named) father was a serving police officer at the time this took place. It was report alright.

When you sack someone for something like that, you CANNOT put reasons like “he was accused of being a paedophile” - it doesn’t work like that.

Is the victims father still alive then? He could surely nail this quite easily.

If this turns out to be true then whoever covered this up should be arrested and jailed.

No fucking bullshitting or excuses.
Absolutely. If mistakes were made we should own them and deal with the consequences. There should be no hiding place for those who knowingly or unknowingly allowed paedophiles to go unpunished.

We are not like that corrupt institution and should never behave like that corrupt institution.

Surprised Rangers haven’t commented and met this head on. Should call on an open investigation and we should apologise and pay compensation ASAP

I'm sorry but what happened to this boy, whilst shocking, is in no way comparable to what happened at other football clubs.

Rangers claim that it was reported at the time, until it's proven that we didn't report it I'm calling bullshit.

It is bold, but I’ll be honest, if the guy was sexually abused (and we certainly believed that something untoward happened, we’ve confirmed that already) and no one was punished then I understand his anger and can’t condemn him for directing it everywhere and anywhere. There is a reason we don’t have victims deciding punishments, emotion will usually override logic and facts.
Where is this confirmation you speak of? There has been no evidence presented to a court and no verdict recorded only hearsay. You are perpetrating the myth and passing it on as truth. Are you on the right forum? I have just watched the news and it is a stitch up an dI am sure the club will respond.

I have never once seen a BBC article with Celtic and Cover Up mentioned.

When it is evidenced that there was one.

BBC have used that for Rangers when there is no evidence.

Odd that.

That was the very first thing that struck me.

No hesitation whatsoever in using it to tarnish our name without full evidence but when it came to celtic and their convicted paedophile ring there was never any mention of a cover up.

Haven’t they wheeled neely out previously just before the scum hit the headlines as a pre-emptive evening up?

I'm sorry but what happened to this boy, whilst shocking, is in no way comparable to what happened at other football clubs.

Rangers claim that it was reported at the time, until it's proven that we didn't report it I'm calling bullshit.
I get what you mean but as a lawyer myself I always try and see these things from the perspective of the perceived victim. I want rangers to deal with this now; the longer they stay silent the worse it will get.

I will tell you something for an absolute fact, because I know of the family, the victim’s (who rightly won’t be named) father was a serving police officer at the time this took place. It was report alright.

I'm not being arsey here mate this is important, is the word "report" a typo when it should be reported?

Lad should be compensated and we should be billing hibs for it

Statement required now calling for a full enquiry

I will tell you something for an absolute fact, because I know of the family, the victim’s (who rightly won’t be named) father was a serving police officer at the time this took place. It was reported alright. They will try an hide behind entire anonymity and avoid reporting that because it suits the agenda.

Isn’t the victim saying it wasn’t reported?

Not sure if I buy that to be honest.

If there were 100 departing employees at the same time then maybe, but surely word would have came down from up top to just say he's left the club, nothing else. Like we've done with some players who have left recently.
The club could not say why he’d left before any trial.
That would probably be illegal and would be used by the defence, suggesting the inability to ensure a fair trial.

Quite a bold statement from the guy saying 'total lies' in regard to us reporting it to the police.
His lawyers would have been ramping that up not him imo. So as far as i can see, this came about after said victim visited a police station. Was he reporting it or looking to gather paperwork for a claim.?

Quite a bold statement from the guy saying 'total lies' in regard to us reporting it to the police.

How would he know if it was lies if his parents asked the club not to report it? That could well have been his parents line to him.

Nothing to say that Hood wouldn't have reported the matter.

I dont trust the police not to lose evidence when it suits them either.

I'd like our club to confirm publicly what this incident was about and what they know of Neely being removed.

Let's have the full public enquiry we've all been asking for for years.

My understanding (which could be wrong) was he harassed 1 boy verbally, the boy told his father who was a cop, the cop went straight to Walter who called the police to inform them (they did %^*& aw) and ensured Neely was fired?

We need someone around the club at the time to put the record straight and go after those accusing Walter, and others, of wrong doing.

Just for the record if this did happen I will be completely disgusted at those in charge at the time.
Graeme Souness was our manager. He knows what happened.
I wonder who Daly has been informed by? If it is the victim I'd be inclined to believe him.

I hate to ask this question. But would the events described, Spanking a child on the bare, been criminal at that point of time in Scotland? I was spanked at school around that same time frame in the early 90s here in America. I agree that what happen is wrong but don't know if the police would have taken it seriously at that time.

I was thinking similar, the police or parents might have been happy that losing his job was sufficient punishment since it wasn't actually sexual abuse, it was 1991 not yesterday.

Let's get it all out in the open with a full public enquiry into child abuse in Scottish football.

Is that not what the journalist is wanting? It needs to happen though.

I’m guessing his son speaks on behalf of himself and his father. Rangers should also apologise/compensate ASAP. Absolutely the right thing to do. Surely nobody would disagree?
I disagree, until there is evidence, and not somebody looking for cash possibly lying and at the moment is anonymous. Why has he not revealed who he is like others have, if he is genuine? If I said the same. would you pay me compensation?

If Neely was innocent wouldn’t he have sued us for wrongful dismissal?

if the press start accusing Mr Souness or Mr Smith if lying I’m sure they won’t take that lying down

Don't be silly!

Neely knew he wasn't innocent so why the phuk would he sue???

So the allegations are that the boy had his pants pulled down and was threatened with a spanking?

Obviously in this day and age it is horrendous behaviour and would be without a doubt be a criminal offence, but please excuse my ignorance - was that the norm back then?

Were boys being spanked in school?

The cane was abolished in state schools in 1987 if I recall correctly.
It was the belt (or tawse) in Scottish schools, rather than the cane, but you are right, things were different back then.

If you upset my Tech teacher at school, you were made to 'run the gauntlet'. ie. Everyone was taken into the corridor and you stood at one end, whilst the rest of the class were lined up against both walls, you then had to get to the other end of the corridor, whilst they kicked and punched lumps out of you.

That certainly wouldn't happen nowadays.

Picture the scene. Youth player tells his parents he was abused by this nonce. Parents tell club. The parents, one of which is a serving police officer, have meeting with the clubs Manager and Assistant Manager (right to the top despite it being a kid making the report). The club sack the nonce immediately regardless of his denial and at the time it being the kids word against the nonce (no doubt it did happen with what we know now).

What does the father do? A serving police officer? Is he just gonna sit there and allow it not to be reported to police. I take it the victim is just as angry at his mum and dad? Utter nonsense.

The club need to investigate this and be honest about any findings. we cant be the club that ignores it or diminishes it.

If it was a spanking on a bare bottom, sports clubs had no authority to inflict corporal punishment so it probably would be a criminal offence especially if on a bare bottom. If the person responsible was a nonce then it would be argued that it was done for sexual reasons.

And some on here need to take a look at themselves. If your kid came home and said some guy wanted to pull his pants down and smack him you would go mental. Dads in the 70s/80s would have done the same. We need to take this face on and explain exactly what happened. If we let a child down we need to make it right.

Last edited:
Both Walter and Souness have never varied in their recollection of events.

This is absolutely key to this situation.

If the incident was reported to the police, then those who either a) actually made the report or b) witnessed it being reported (if those who reported it are no longer living) must come forward.

If it wasn’t reported to the police then those who didn’t are complicit and deserve whatever punishment comes their way.

Whatever the outcome, it is now time for all accusations of child abuse in Scottish football to be subject to a forensic police enquiry and public inquiry. Again, appropriate punishment should be issued to all and any clubs that can be shown to have concealed child abuse within their midst, with varying degrees of punishment appropriate to the number of victims, the number of paedophiles involved and the degree of cover up.

In addition, extremely large (£1m+) financial settlements should be order to every victim.

There can be no excusing covering up child abuse and not reporting it to the police.

Back