Mark daly at it again

A whole catalogue of depravity within that rancid club from the east backed up with fact and convictions and they have somehow managed to make our club look far worse on the basis of allegations.

Would any legal savvy posters on here know if we have any grounds for legal action concerning the use of 'cover up' being used against us ?

He’s put the phrase ‘cover up’ in inverted commas to indicate that it is as yet an allegation and not a proven fact. That gets him off the hook on that one.

However, it is a disgraceful hatchet job based on the words of one person whose recollections have changed markedly since 2016.

What we have here is a victim who, truth be told, has no idea whether it was reported to the police or not. The same boy also claimed previously that his Dad sorted Neely out.

We then have a bog-standard statement in the Rangers News which was pretty much the parting shot for anyone moving on from their current job back then.

Unfortunately it was enough for Daly and the BBC to try and build a case against Rangers.

The headline of a " COVER-UP AT RANGERS " is nothing short of disgraceful given the paedophile ring and child abuse on an industrial scale that was taking place at Celtic.

Which could explain no records of someone at Rangers reporting it. Victim's dad beats the shit out of Neely, then the records are "lost" as it's been dealt with by a serving Police Officer who would probably lose their job.

And that is the real story here. How can the Police not know about it? Regardless of who reported it, would it be wrong in assuming that Rangers would think there would be a thorough investigation considering the victims father approached them in the first place? Not only was he duty-bound as a Police Officer, but more importantly as a Father?

One of these is true:
1) It was reported and the record has been '"lost"
2) A serving Police Officer has failed in his duty to report an allegation of abuse by his own son.

Why isn't any of the above the main talking point? Surely this is just a desperate attempt to try and drag Rangers into the whole football abuse scandal to divert attention away from others.

I didn't watch the report tonight, but I seen it on the headlines and I can categorically state that I've never heard Celtic FC being reported in the same way, despite the fact they re-employed one of their (many) abusive coaches.

The devious, sickening tone and wording of that BBC Scotland article is to infer to the reader that there was more than one victim of Neely at Rangers, and not just this widely reported solitary incident, after which Neely was correctly sacked and police informed. Our club can't allow itself to be defamed in this manner.

There is no dispute about some of the facts. Neely abused, Neely was fired.

What is in question is whether a police report was made. Rangers say it was, the police have no record 29 years on, the victim says it wasn't. I don't think we will ever get clarity on that.

Given that Neely abused and was fired, I don't understand why there was a Rangers News article at all. Again, 29 years on, it just makes us look bad.

Then there are the BBC innuendos, for example, that Neely was abusing during all of his time at Ibrox. There is no evidence of this.

The big question is how do we handle it.

I don't think we should go down the same road as Celtic. The best way to handle this, and all the other cases in Scottish football, is to bring it out into the open.

Rangers should be demanding a fully independent inquiry into historical child abuse in Scottish football. All of Scottish football; the clubs and the national team. That inquiry should also be asking who knew what and when and why action wasn't taken in the past and why it hasn't been taken now.

From 2016:

"Rangers is now aware of an alleged incident involving an individual who worked very briefly for the club more than 25 years ago.

"It's understood the individual was dismissed immediately and that the police were informed.

"Rangers wishes to stress that all employees adhere to the strictest codes of conduct, especially when dealing with children and young people.

"Rangers have not been approached by Police Scotland or any authority regarding this allegation."

So, the bit in bold. Where did Rangers get that information/understanding from in 2016? The club need to come out and clarify this. Anyone there at the time needs to be questioned.

Not interested in the other club or "hollicom". This is our club and if they've failed this guy then I want those responsible punished.

Quite clearly from Souness and Walter. And indeed - with the allegation tonight that another coach confronted a room full of players about his mate Neely being sacked the complainer has confirmed Neely was sacked as a direct result of the original complaint.

I find it odd that Daily has not approached Graeme Souness or Walter Smith who sacked him yet he asked Rangers for comment when it’s unlikely anyone who was there at the time still is.

So an article stating that Neely ‘left to pursue his own business interests’ is now a cover up ?

I’m sure everyone knows of somebody that has been sacked yet resigned for personal reasons or similar. There is enough in Daly’s article to determine that Neely was sacked.

Daley has just done a hatchet job based on a tenuous article.

Was he as vocal when convictions were made ??

Will he be as vocal calling for a full, independent inquiry into ALL Clubs ?

Is there also a possibility that he’s been ‘incentivised’ to come forward now that both Hood and his father are no longer with us?

That's obvious. 'John' has contacted Thompson legal as they are investigating. Thompson contact Daly who is using their evidence for a documentary.

He’s put the phrase ‘cover up’ in inverted commas to indicate that it is as yet an allegation and not a proven fact. That gets him off the hook on that one.

However, it is a disgraceful hatchet job based on the words of one person whose recollections have changed markedly since 2016.

The way the BBC have used this allegation it to tarnish our club surely can't be right ?

Not very good at keeping evidence are the polis

Firstly the evidence you're referring to presumably in relation to the effigies was lost by the PF, not the police.

Secondly, Strathclyde and Police Scotland along with all other police forces are bound by Data Protection laws and have retention policies in place. For the most serious crimes it is around current year + 6, meaning files are destroyed after that time unless they need to be retained for a specific reason.

Presumably if this was reported, they'd have detained and interviewed a suspect with a view to charging them. If there was insufficient evidence the circumstances would be reported to the PF for consideration and further direction.

Given it was so long ago, only serving or retired officers who may remember dealing with the matter would know for certain, unless Rangers have files on it in their personnel dept somewhere.

I would hope that Rangers' refusal to comment to the BBC after a number of requests prior to airing this item tonight is because the club doesn't trust BBC Scotland not to twist our words and try and condemn us further.
When the first version of this story was aired a couple of years back it was conveniently the day before Torbet was up in front of the beaks and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is not in the offing here. It was the main story on BBC Scotland's news website for two days and this rehash brings nothing new to light.
That said, I want the club to deal with this issue in the correct manner and if we have had any failings we hold up our hands and take responsibility. We also need to demand a full independent public inquiry into child abuse in football.

If hood said he Was going to do it (seems to be the case that it was his task to do and not Walters or souness) Then he either has done it or not.

He can answer this surely as it’s something you’d recall doing imo

Bit difficult as he died in 2006.

So an article stating that Neely ‘left to pursue his own business interests’ is now a cover up ?

I’m sure everyone knows of somebody that has been sacked yet resigned for personal reasons or similar. There is enough in Daly’s article to determine that Neely was sacked.

Daley has just done a hatchet job based on a tenuous article.

Was he as vocal when convictions were made ??

Will he be as vocal calling for a full, independent inquiry into ALL Clubs ?

Any casual observer reading that appalling BBC Scotland article would think that Neely had a free rein to " continue abusing when at Rangers. " Rangers can't let such damaging allegations go without a right to reply. It is an outrageous article.

What is in question is whether a police report was made. Rangers say it was, the police have no record 29 years on, the victim says it wasn't. I don't think we will ever get clarity on that.

Given that Neely abused and was fired, I don't understand why there was a Rangers News article at all. Again, 29 years on, it just makes us look bad.

Then there are the BBC innuendos, for example, that Neely was abusing during all of his time at Ibrox. There is no evidence of this.

I don't think we should go down the same road as Celtic. The best way to handle this, and all the other cases in Scottish football, is to bring it out into the open.

Rangers should be demanding a fully independent inquiry into historical child abuse in Scottish football. All of Scottish football; the clubs and the national team. That inquiry should also be asking who knew what and when and why action wasn't taken in the past and why it hasn't been taken now.

HHB,

Something happened between Neely and this man who was only a teenager at the time. However, his story has changed.

In earlier versions he claimed other coaches (although not being direct witnesses to the incident) saw him come out of Neely’s room and cracked a joke.

He also claimed that a coach had accused him of lying about his friend in front of others in a dressing-room.

It surely wouldn’t be difficult to obtain statements from the people in question.

In one version the ‘victim’ says Neely skelped him - in another, he didn’t actually strike him.

There is an issue with the father being a serving police officer. The claim that his father beat up Neely appeared in the early reports but is now being ignored.

I appreciate that we are all up in arms regarding this matter but have a read of the below article, apologies I can't copy and paste. This is the article where this story was originally printed in 2016. You will notice the survivor confirms that his dad battered Neely and sorted the situation.

My point regarding this is that there is no mention of the violence in the Daly report. Now ask yourself this question, a senior ranking police officer batters a man accused of abusing his son. Do the police when this is reported make sure that the accused/battered faces the full force of the law which also means one of their own loses their job or do the feel that Neely being battered and sacked is the outcome that best suits the situation. The documentary evidence held by the police would have quickly been moved to a shredder to protect the survivors dad/High ranking police officer.

Despite the fact that the lickspittles are trying to claim the blood is on Rangers hands the blood is actually on police Scotlands for the way they dealt with it at the time.

Rangers must bring in a fully independent investigator to prove or disprove BBC Scotland's allegations regarding Neely continuing to abuse individuals at our club. If they are lying, there should be no hiding place for BBC Scotland. We must go after BBC Scotland.

We should get a new Fighting Fund to support this mate.

This is blatant hatred in terms of the difference in our treatment to them.

I appreciate that we are all up in arms regarding this matter but have a read of the below article, apologies I can't copy and paste. This is the article where this story was originally printed in 2016. You will notice the survivor confirms that his dad battered Neely and sorted the situation.

My point regarding this is that there is no mention of the violence in the Daly report. Now ask yourself this question, a senior ranking police officer batters a man accused of abusing his son. Do the police when this is reported make sure that the accused/battered faces the full force of the law which also means one of their own loses their job or do the feel that Neely being battered and sacked is the outcome that best suits the situation. The documentary evidence held by the police would have quickly been moved to a shredder to protect the survivors dad/High ranking police officer.

Despite the fact that the lickspittles are trying to claim the blood is on Rangers hands the blood is actually on police Scotlands for the way they dealt with it at the time.
Is this the same guy? Says he’s in his 40s now, that one says 50s. Also says 10 when the other said 14. Very difficult to say if it the same person with it being such a hatchet job!

The objective has been achieved with the headline. In the minds of many Rangers are also now guilty of covering up abuse which Daly suggests ran deeper than one well-documented verbal slur alone.

Only by contesting this can the club remove themselves from the spotlight and ensure its glare focusses solely on Celtic once more.

It’s a sickeningly transparent piece that exposes the machinations at work to ameliorate Celtic’s litany of abuse.

Neely was obviously a 'wrong 'un'.
However, the story as told by his Ibrox victim would probably not have resulted in a conviction for anything of a sexual nature as it certainly lacks a sexual ingredient, unless we are to revisit every caning in the history of school discipline.

I suspect that there would have been a sexual gratification in the episode for Neely if we are to believe the insinuations that have followed him to the grave.
However, I am not sure where the club could have gone with this allegation in the absence of any other evidence to support it.
Sacking him itself seems about as severe a punishment as they could have doled out.

Should they have informed the police?
Well, shouldn't the boy's parents have?

There was no cover-up in this matter it would seem to have been dealt with transparently with the parents fully involved.
It would also seem that the parents were content with how the club dealt with it.

I don't want to detract from Neely's possible wrongdoing, but this really smacks as scraping the barrel by Daly on behalf of Celtc Football Club, in a desperate attempt to muddy clear waters by spreading the guilt for a period that shames Scottish football, but in particular marks out Celtc Football Club as something beyond the pale.

Tbf that article in question is regarding something that happened at Hibs to another boy and his Dad battered him.

Any casual observer reading that appalling BBC Scotland article would think that Neely had a free rein to " continue abusing when at Rangers. " Rangers can't let such damaging allegations go without a right to reply. It is an outrageous article.

Walter and Souness getting slaughtered on social media saying they knew and let it continue

If someone at Rangers doesn’t nail this it’s going to grow arms and legs

This all day long!
We just can't let a possibly slanted report from BBC Scotland appear to involve our club to be as much involved in child abuse as some others just to try and claim that Rangers "had a paedo problem too"...that is just obscene!
So bring it on...let Rangers call for a FULL enquiry into alleged child abuse in Scottish football and how the clubs dealt with it!
Over to you Mr King!

That report is about an incident at Edina Hibs through in Edinburgh not at Rangers.

HHB,

Something happened between Neely and this man who was only a teenager at the time. However, his story has changed.

In earlier versions he claimed other coaches (although not being direct witnesses to the incident) saw him come out of Neely’s room and cracked a joke.

He also claimed that a coach had accused him of lying about his friend in front of others in a dressing-room.

It surely wouldn’t be difficult to obtain statements from the people in question.

In one version the ‘victim’ says Neely skelped him - in another, he didn’t actually strike him.

There is an issue with the father being a serving police officer. The claim that his father beat up Neely appeared in the early reports but is now being ignored.

Agree with all of that.

But the issue is how does the club handle it.

There is little chance of getting our side of the incident into the media. Can the BBC be sued for this article? I doubt it.

That is why I think that calling for a fully independent inquiry may well be the best route to take. Then let the others argue why they don't want one.

A sense of dread hit me when I seen this article.

but upon reading, I’m genuinely questioning the point of it. There is nothing new other than a supposed uncovered article in a magazine which states that the sick bastard had left Rangers. This is no evidence of a “cover up” which the headline claims. The article itself goes on to state that they were sacked.

Again, there is no evidence that Rangers did not contact the police. This was in the 90s, within an organisation which doesn’t even exist anymore, which would have had a paper system which was unlikely to have been transferred over properly in multiple office moves. Unfortunately, it is of no surprise that there is no record - that doesn’t proved whether a complaint was or wasn’t made.

Also, another anonymous allegation which is based on the word of the accuser. Whilst I applaud any any abuse victim that comes forward, these things must be verified in court. I have no doubt that at least one of these predators operated at Rangers, but as of yet there is zero hard evidence that Rangers were culpable in enabling them in any way at all. Compare and contrast that to other teams in Glasgow which didn’t fire them, gave them money, moved them about and gave them awards whilst sacking staff who raised concerns.

I can honestly say that after reading that article, I have no worries about our club or their conduct.

I’m guessing his son speaks on behalf of himself and his father. Rangers should also apologise/compensate ASAP. Absolutely the right thing to do. Surely nobody would disagree?
You have said this more than once already. Apologies and compensation can be made when responsibility and guilt has been established. At the moment any accusations against Rangers are unsubstantiated allegations made against dead men.
Whereas across the city, there are 7 convictions against another club, who have yet to apologise or pay a penny compensation.
Can I suggest you redirect your righteous indignation elsewhere?

I think there’s a very good chance that’s exactly what happened.

In isolation it feels like a mountain out of a molehill, but the clear objective is to tie us in with the covering up of abuse by way of mitigating the scale of Celtic’s supremely more vast offence and that’s really quite intolerable.

His lawyers haven't been advising him well.

Daly is taking this fellas opinion as fact. To say 'total lies', goes against what Rangers employees have said.

This is a stitch up with old news and no new 'evidence'

An Independent Inquiry is an absolute must if the truth is to come out, fully agree.
He fell into this trap before with the Holly Greig case. It's not something he likes to talk about nowadays

The Rangers News would have run that story based on what Souness/Smith wanted them to say.

Would it not be covered in the next board meeting minutes that Neely had been sacked and reported to the police?

A sense of dread hit me when I seen this article.

but upon reading, I’m genuinely questioning the point of it. There is nothing new other than a supposed uncovered article in a magazine which states that the sick bastard had left Rangers. This is no evidence of a “cover up” which the headline claims. The article itself goes on to state that they were sacked.

Again, there is no evidence that Rangers did not contact the police. This was in the 90s, within an organisation which doesn’t even exist anymore, which would have had a paper system which was unlikely to have been transferred over properly in multiple office moves. Unfortunately, it is of no surprise that there is no record - that doesn’t proved whether a complaint was or wasn’t made.

Also, another anonymous allegation which is based on the word of the accuser. Whilst I applaud any any abuse victim that comes forward, these things must be verified in court. I have no doubt that at least one of these predators operated at Rangers, but as of yet there is zero hard evidence that Rangers were culpable in enabling them in any way at all. Compare and contrast that to other teams in Glasgow which didn’t fire them, gave them money, moved them about and gave them awards whilst sacking staff who raised concerns.

I can honestly say that after reading that article, I have no worries about our club or their conduct.

Its like BBC Scotland want us to react so that they can create a long running shitstorm. Rangers should be speaking to good lawyers and PR professionals. Dont let Traynor issue a shit statement.

Daly has clearly asked the victim to describe the assault.
Neely put the lad over his knee and nearly spanked him before sending him on his way.

Has Daly ever put the same question to the dozens of CFC victims and put to print the answers of such a question?

I ask that as a genuine question as I don't read the rags, but I suspect he hasn't, which makes the agenda as clear as the baldy heid on his shoulders.

Also, not wanting to sound too paranoid, but did they state what edition of Rangers news that this was printed in?

Mark Daly did a one hour documentary on child abuse in Scottish Football
Half hour on Celtic and an equal amount of time on Rangers
This alone tells me he is anything but impartial
People were saying at the time he was doing his best to uncover child abuse
My thoughts then and I have seen or heard nothing to change my mind is that he is doing his best to apportion blame and appease his fellow Celtic supporters
These people are incapable of being impartial
They are part of a cult that encourages them to deflect and turn a blind eye
They protect their own at all costs
Why did he not interview Kelly or McGinn as part of his documentary if he wants to get to the bottom of what went on........maybe it’s to close to home or maybe that’s to simple or just maybe he knows he would be hammering another nail into the Celtic abuse cases
What happened to his documentary that he said he was working on?

Agree with all of that.

But the issue is how does the club handle it.

There is little chance of getting our side of the incident into the media. Can the BBC be sued for this article? I doubt it.

That is why I think that calling for a fully independent inquiry may well be the best route to take. Then let the others argue why they don't want one.

I think the club are absolutely dutybound to challenge Daly’s not so subtle attempt at inferring Neely’s abuse at Ibrox pre dated the incident with the policeman’s son.

I disagree with calling for an independent inquiry into the extent of abuse within Scottish football though. I think that is something Celtic would welcome at this stage, allowing them as it would the opportunity to merge in with everyone else.

The club need to challenge this and ensure the glare remains fixed on Celtic alone.

We need a CEO to robustly champion the club's interests on and off the pitch.
Don't listen to Traynor or McLelland, Mr. King. Give the club day-to-day leadership.

Back