Hearts fans twirling their scarfs

Remember as a kid our fans used to do that.

When did it stop?

Was still happening in the late 80's/early 90's, I know that much. Possibly stopped due to a distinct lack of scarves in our support?

We were in section F3 yesterday so right alongside them. Must admit I thought it looked really good, would love us to bring this back.

That sounds like a good idea. I like how in Germany they all have the big massive flags waving around. Didn't we used to do something like that? I'd definitely be up for waving a big old Union Jack with Ryan Jack in the middle.

I remember it well late 80's into the 90's then grew out of wearing a scalf

Lot less people in scalfs these days imo

The first time I can remember seeing this was the 1996 League Cup Final against Hearts at the Piggery.

Looked very impressive at the time as half the stadium was doing it. Sadly saw it again at the same stadium 2 years later as we lost the Scottish Cup final to Hearts and their twirling scarves weren’t as appealing that day

I think it stopped when they seated the enclosures. Usual problem with seated stadia that you get start twirling your scarf and you are either one isolated person or someone complains you are blocking their view

The year Hertz nearly won the League (86 I think) they played the Filth at the San Giro and for some reason our game was off. Me and 2 of my mates went to cheer on Hearts. To avoid any misunderstanding we bought scarves.
The passage of over 30 years has not diminished the cringeworthy feeling I get when I recall the 3 of us swirling the maroon and white to a resounding chorus of "Hertz, Glorious Hertz"

The year Hertz nearly won the League (86 I think) they played the Filth at the San Giro and for some reason our game was off. Me and 2 of my mates went to cheer on Hearts. To avoid any misunderstanding we bought scarves.
The passage of over 30 years has not diminished the cringeworthy feeling I get when I recall the 3 of us swirling the maroon and white to a resounding chorus of "Hertz, Glorious Hertz"
They blew the league in 86 on the last day against Dundee and the scum won it!

I liked it. Thought it looked good. Would be better with us doing it

Hertz did it first. We did it when Wallace came back and it lasted until 5 or 6 in a row if I remember correctly.

I'd like to see it more often, it looks good with thousands of us doing it. I've really only seen it done at the piggery at the start of the 2nd half. The mentally challengeds singing YNWA with their scarves in the air, the Bears twirling their scarves in the air in response.

Can only remember seeing it as a boy and thought it looked great. I'd be well up for bringing it back.

Happens regularly at the Stydome when they start singing their Liverpool song just before kick off.

Also due to tims reserve team lying down to them that day at love street.
The St Mirren lineup was like reading the Dublin phone directory, no surprise the mentally challengeds got the result they needed that day.

Back