Great Wins For Us and Defeats for Them on the Same Day/Night

1978 - We beat Forfar at Hampden after trailing until the 83rd minute, while down at Rugby Pk Kilmarnock were dumping them out of the Scottish Cup.

We faced Killie in the next round at Ibrox winning 4-1.

That was the one that came to my head straight away, they took it bad and threw a bottle at our bus coming through Stepps before the M8 was built.
That’s so weird you mentioning that.........our windows were done there too, and I kept thinking it was the same night, but I remember now that it was the next round, when we were put out by cologne, shit finish to a disappointing night!!!!

Actually it does. Our draw with the Sheep and them losing to Falkirk in 1987 for us to win the league.
Was going to post this, I remember the scenes at Pittiodrie when the news filtered through, always remember watching the highlights on Scotsport a half empty piggery, a ginger guy called Sammy something scored with a diving header iirc

Great wins for us, with the added bonus of a suffering defeat for them on the same day/night.

The obvious one for me , April 19th 1972

Celtic had clinched their 7th successive League Title four days earlier.
European Semi Final night, and both Glasgow teams are in the two big cups, at home, second leg.
Both teams had recorded impressive results away in the first leg, Celtic held Inter Milan to a scoreless draw, and Rangers had come back from Germany with a 1-1 draw against Bayern Munich.

It had been a shite season for us.
They hammered us 3 times in 4 weeks at the start of the season, all at Ibrox.
In early October, we sat joint bottom of the 18 team League with East Fife on 2 points!
Our domestic highlight of the season was Partick Thistle beating them 4-1 in the League Cup Final.
Over the course of the season, we had improved somewhat.
In Europe we had eliminated Sporting Lisbon, and Torino, to get to the ECWC Semi Final.
Domestically we were in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup, albeit via three replays.
We sat in 3rd place in the League, a whopping 15 points adrift of Celtic, which is as far away from them as we had ever been.

Anyway, back to April 19th.
Rangers defeat Bayern Munich 2-0, in one of the greatest nights ever at Ibrox .

It does not get sweeter than that, into the European Cup Winners Cup Final, Barcelona here we come.
Walking back from Ibrox that night was just glorious, and as I reached the hielanman's umbrella in Argyle St, a small crowd had gathered around the outside of a Der TV rental shop, watching the end of the Celtic game, which remained 0-0 after Extra Time, and was now going to penalty kicks.
Apollo Dixie made a sweet night even sweeter.
That's the game that comes to mind, I remember watching Dixie balloon the ball over the bar in the old Jester on PRW after our game ( bit of a lock in )

Yeah they lost a last minute goal to lose 3-2 at home to the sheep. The stadium announcer at east end park kindly updated us all with the score. Some bounce when he did
Had to pull my pal down off the bar counter in the Elizabethan on Halbeath Road that night :)) :))

April 10th 1976.

Rangers 3-0 Dundee
Dundee Utd 3-2 Celtic

Celtic had been top of the League since the end of November, barring one week in January, when we went top on Goal difference (by 1 goal), though that changed quickly when they beat Dundee Utd 2-1 at home, and we were held to a 1-1 draw away at Dundee at the end of January.
This put them on top again with a one point advantage.
Despite us taking 23 out of 24 points since the turn of the year, we still could not get above them until that day in April, when we went Top with a 1 point advantage.
Thereafter with only six league games to play, their season collapsed, as they recorded only one win in their last 7 games.

We actually clinched the Title just two weeks later on April 24th at Tannadice with a Derek Johnstone goal after only 22 seconds, as Celtic lost 1-2 at home to Ayr Utd.
Two nights later we went to Parkhead as Champions, and Derek Johnstone who was the best Centre Forward in Scotland, and favourite to pick up the Player of the Year award, showed why he was also considered one of the best Centre Backs in the country too, as he moved back to central defence in place of the injured Tom Forsyth and Colin Jackson, and gave a masterclass at the back.
The following Saturday, the big man was back up front, and would score again in the first minute (42 seconds), against Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final, as Rangers completed the Treble.

Winning i think 3-1 at shawfield, they lost at easter road 2-0? Gave us daylight as we went on to stop ten in 1975

Helicopter Sunday for me.

It had everything ; two late goals for Motherwell to cast that rabble in to despair and us to a title win that I really doubted we'd achieve.

Great wins for us, with the added bonus of a suffering defeat for them on the same day/night.

European Semi Final night, and both Glasgow teams are in the two big cups, at home, second leg.
Both teams had recorded impressive results away in the first leg, Celtic held Inter Milan to a scoreless draw, and Rangers had come back from Germany with a 1-1 draw against Bayern Munich.

In early October, we sat joint bottom of the 18 team League with East Fife on 2 points!
Our domestic highlight of the season was Partick Thistle beating them 4-1 in the League Cup Final.
In Europe we had eliminated Sporting Lisbon, and Torino, to get to the ECWC Semi Final.
Domestically we were in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup, albeit via three replays.
We sat in 3rd place in the League, a whopping 15 points adrift of Celtic, which is as far away from them as we had ever been.

It does not get sweeter than that, into the European Cup Winners Cup Final, Barcelona here we come.
Walking back from Ibrox that night was just glorious, and as I reached the hielanman's umbrella in Argyle St, a small crowd had gathered around the outside of a Der TV rental shop, watching the end of the Celtic game, which remained 0-0 after Extra Time, and was now going to penalty kicks.
I remember we stopped to get chips somewhere on the way back and Scotsport was just showing the highlights on the tv behind the counter,place (plaice) was going mental and the wee tally was beeling.

PSG UEFA cup 2001 was great. They lost on penalties to Valencia

Fck me was that 2001? I was there that night feels like yesterday
Need to get back to following the team in Europe, some amazing trips and memories

1978 - We beat Forfar at Hampden after trailing until the 83rd minute, while down at Rugby Pk Kilmarnock were dumping them out of the Scottish Cup.

That Forfar game was a nightmare,as you say a late equaliser saved us,then wee calimero saved the day, making a few goals in extra time,think it finished 4 or 5-1.
Don't recollect the tims game, probably relieved we saved our game

Actually it does. Our draw with the Sheep and them losing to Falkirk in 1987 for us to win the league.

Them losing at home (Falkirk?) while we get a draw at Pittodrie to win the league

That was a very special day indeed.

We needed a draw to clinch our first title in 9 years, and despite losing Graeme Souness in the first half to a red card, we took the lead through Terry Butcher. They equalised before the break, and we faced a daunting second half with only 10 men.
Over at Parkhead they were surprisingly losing 0-1 at Half time to relegation bound Falkirk, who could actually stay up with a win.
Second half underway, and Celtic are awarded a dubious penalty in the 60th min, when from a Johnston cross, the ball struck Dempsey. It is doubtful that it hit his arm, there is certainly no doubt it happened outside the box. Yet Incredibly the far side Linesman overruled the referee, who initially gave a Free Kick outside the box, but was then forced to change his mind amidst protests from the Celtic players.
McClair slots home the penalty to make it 1-1.
Half an hour to go, and we are hanging on desperately at Pittodrie, whilst Celtic are going all out for a winner at Parkhead.
Falkirk substitute Jimmy Gilmour, a Nephew of Jimmy Johnstone, strikes a winner for Falkirk in the 87th minute, and word filters through to Pittodrie, and Rangers are the Champions.

The thing is, that in many ways was like Berwick. Killie were a lower division team, knocking the previous season's SC winners out of the SC. More than that, that night at Killie was a replay so, they had 180 minutes to beat lower division opponents. Anything can happen in 90 minutes, but having two bites at the cherry? And I'm pretty sure Colin Stein played for KIllie.

Incidentally, if the filth had won that night, we'd have been due to play them three weeks on the trot.

11/3 - SC tie
18/3 - LC final
25/3 - League match at the cesspit.

It wasn't the same day, but I seem to remember Barcelona dumping Celtic out of the CL the night before we beat Werder Bremen at Ibrox to set up the chance of quarter final place in the UEFA Cup back in 2008.

I always remember the cartoon ...I think in the express the next day, again in the space theme.Two astronauts walking on the moon relaying back to NASA “Tell Dixie we found the ball!”

Remember a night at Dunfermline where Boumsong scored a winner and they dropped points and the place was bouncing. Pretty sure we went top and it was the first time since Advocaat..might be wrong though
We had won the league in-between then mate in 2002/2003

But i know the night your talking about they dropped points to Hibs at the Piggery

April 10th 1976.

Rangers 3-0 Dundee
Dundee Utd 3-2 Celtic

Celtic had been top of the League since the end of November, barring one week in January, when we went top on Goal difference (by 1 goal), though that changed quickly when they beat Dundee Utd 2-1 at home, and we were held to a 1-1 draw away at Dundee at the end of January.
This put them on top again with a one point advantage.
Despite us taking 23 out of 24 points since the turn of the year, we still could not get above them until that day in April, when we went Top with a 1 point advantage.
Thereafter with only six league games to play, their season collapsed, as they recorded only one win in their last 7 games.

We actually clinched the Title just two weeks later on April 24th at Tannadice with a Derek Johnstone goal after only 22 seconds, as Celtic lost 1-2 at home to Ayr Utd.
Two nights later we went to Parkhead as Champions, and Derek Johnstone who was the best Centre Forward in Scotland, and favourite to pick up the Player of the Year award, showed why he was also considered one of the best Centre Backs in the country too, as he moved back to central defence in place of the injured Tom Forsyth and Colin Jackson, and gave a masterclass at the back.
The following Saturday, the big man was back up front, and would score again in the first minute (42 seconds), against Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final, as Rangers completed the Treble.
Jock Stein stated that DJ was the difference between the sides that night and that but for him Celtic would've taken full points.

The thing is, that in many ways was like Berwick. Killie were a lower division team, knocking the previous season's SC winners out of the SC. More than that, that night at Killie was a replay so, they had 180 minutes to beat lower division opponents. Anything can happen in 90 minutes, but having two bites at the cherry? And I'm pretty sure Colin Stein played for KIllie.

Incidentally, if the filth had won that night, we'd have been due to play them three weeks on the trot.

11/3 - SC tie
18/3 - LC final
25/3 - League match at the cesspit.

A few chorues of nae holy water in the cup that night and you're right Colin Stein did play for Killie that night.

Don't know if my memory is playing tricks but did we not win the league at Ibrox against Hearts and the mentally challengeds lost at Falkirk. Think Mel Sterland scored two, i'm sure Kevin Drinkell scored as well.

2nd of April 2005 Celtic 0 - 2 Hearts terrible result for them.
2nd of April 2005 Pope JP2 Shuffles lose this mortal coil.
3rd of April 2005 Motherwell 2 - 3 Rangers.

Gers win title by 1pt due to the events of Helicopter Sunday which are the purest version of this thread.

I see Dixie also invented the Suvull calculator.
90,000 fans. Wrong Dixie.

Typical tim arithmetic. If there'd been 90,000 there that night it would be their record attendance, which it isn't (it's supposedly 83,000 v us in 1938, though there's doubts about that figure being right as it used to be given as 92,000. Not like them to inflate attendances is it?!).

Last edited:
11th January 1975:

Dumbarton 1-5 Rangers
Celtic 2-3 Motherwell

We'd cuffed them 3-0 at Ibrox the week before and gone top on goal difference iirc? Happy days!

24th January 1976, Scottish Cup 3rd Rd:

Rangers 3-0 East Fife
Motherwell 3-2 Celtic (and the scum had been 2-0 up :))). The Treble was on!

Not a win but I'm sure we drew away to psv in the Europa the same night they got cuffed 4-0 by St mirren. Watched it in Nico's and couldn't control myaelf.

Different nights. We lost at Tannadice that night, but their result more or less sealed the league so the Bears weren't really giving a %^*&.

There was a day they lost at Easter Road and we beat Aberdeen at Ibrox to go top of the league. I'm sure it was the same day they spelt Celtic wrong on a banner. Boruc threw one in the net.

April 2 2005 we beat Motherwell away , the tims got beaten by hearts at the cesspit ,,, and for your bonus ball , the pope died , on the same day . If carlsberg did weekends .! All this on the run in to what we know call helicopter Sunday

Did we get a decent win the night St Mirren fucked Mowbray's team?
Nope, lost a cup replay at Tannadice to a last minute goal. I had just started a new job in Dundee that day and was there. I didn’t even know Celtic we’re playing and was confused as to why a St Mirren supporting friend was texting me every time a goal went in!

Our game was so poor I was almost glad of their last minute winner as I couldn’t have stood another 30 minutes of it.

Don't know if my memory is playing tricks but did we not win the league at Ibrox against Hearts and the mentally challengeds lost at Falkirk. Think Mel Sterland scored two, i'm sure Kevin Drinkell scored as well.
Celtic drew at Aberdeen that day.

24th January 1976, Scottish Cup 3rd Rd:

Rangers 3-0 East Fife
Motherwell 3-2 Celtic (and the scum had been 2-0 up :))). The Treble was on!

That was a good day, but unfortunately one week later we drew 1-1 at Dundee, whilst they beat Dundee Utd 2-1 at Parkhead, to go 1 point clear at the top.
It stayed that way until April 10th, with both teams winning all six of their League games, until they lost 2-3 at Dundee Utd, and we beat Dundee 3-0 at Ibrox.
Their season fell apart, they were out the Scottish Cup, they went out in the Quarters of the ECWC to
Sachsenring Zwickau (ha ha), and recorded only 1 win in their last 7 League games!

Reactions: ao2
And what a goal at was.

Was at my in laws house. Think the entire estate must've heard the roar from their's when Austin McCann thundered the ball into the top corner.

We were in the beer garden of the dear departed Country Club post-match.

Place went mental. And I got sunburnt. In april

Saturday 7/12/96

We were at home to Hibs, 1-2 down at HT, 4-3 at full time.

Tims were at Motherwell. All square at 1-1 about 20 mins left, Well gk injured so midfielder goes into the nets.

Last min goal, Well 2-1 Celtic. Get in!

Big Jig with the winner IIRC

Back