Scottish Game Toxic

skaillbear

Is the Scottish game in 2020 as toxic as it has ever been?
There has always been rammys, tiffs and deep rivalry in the game but in my memory there has never been such a deep rooted undertone of hatred and toxicity across all factions of Scottish football as there is now.
It used to be possible to have a bit of banter with a fan of another team (not just Celtic) and leave it at that with a laugh and mutual respect, but these days any football conversation unless with one of our own turns to abuse by the end to the point that its akin to discussing religion or politics these days.

I wonder will this wave ever subside and return to a more even keel?
I dont think it will be anytime soon.

Its definitely more petty. Three weeks of news reports and fallout from hand gestures.

In the 80's going to OF games, it was normal to go to the match dodging bottles and bricks and it was just part of the day out.

Don’t think it’s as bad as that. Plenty mates and colleagues are non rangers fans and can talk and have a laugh about the football with them no problem.

The issue for me is social media. It gives a platform for anybody to have a go at anyone 24/7, usually anonymously

Utterly toxic, and all because C*ltic have tried to turn everything to their advantage and other clubs went along with it, probably having been promised 40 pieces of silver. I hope they are happy with how it is all turning out.
What do we expect when that prick Liewell is running the SFA

Don’t think it’s as bad as that. Plenty mates and colleagues are non rangers fans and can talk and have a laugh about the football with them no problem.

The issue for me is social media. It gives a platform for anybody to have a go at anyone 24/7, usually anonymously
Yeah that definatley has a big impact, lots of folk that spend their life on twitter think that is the opinion of all of society.

Definitely toxic and I think it's all our fault!!
Wait for it......coz the majority of other teams and their support wanted us dead and they didn't get their wish. They hate us and all we stand for.
Also as we get better the more toxic it has become, great isn't it just knowing we mean that much to everyone,?

Yeah it’s the worst I’ve ever known it and I’m nearly 50. I don’t even get involved in conversations about football in work anymore. (Maybe I’m part of the problem right enough).

I think it's just refelecting society in many ways. People are far more entrenched in their views, there is no debate any more. Hold a different view and you aren't just wrong but an extremist.

There is an increasing hatred of Rangers and it's building up a head of steam. People cannot look at things rationally. A lot of folk can't see passed calling us Sevco and thinking we should have been obliterated. When we win 55 a lot of people will have to wake up to us not just being back where we belong but probably in the healthiest state we've ever been in. I think that could break a lot of fans of other teams. At least I hope so.

I'm going to have to adjust that to 50%

The other 50% is 19th Century Terroristism

I think i could go along with this,everything they rhat bastards get involved in invariably goes tits up and ends friendships that have lasted for years before they got involved.

Definitely toxic and I think it's all our fault!!
Wait for it......coz the majority of other teams and their support wanted us dead and they didn't get their wish. They hate us and all we stand for.
Also as we get better the more toxic it has become, great isn't it just knowing we mean that much to everyone,?
We live rent free in a lot of heads mate:)

Never known it to be so hostile, there’s always been rivalry but it seems now to be genuine hatred (on both sides).

It has definitely been amplified by the independence campaign and all that has awoken in Scotland.

Nationalism is definitely a big part of it. That combined with the media narrative around admin and tax hasn't helped.

The current climate of folk taking offence at anything and everything has given more scope for the media to exaggerate things.

I do think CFC still maintain the position they were cheated and never defeated, despite them currently putting a long run of trophy wins together. You look now the amount of ex CFC players writing nasty, unsettling lies about everything Rangers related over the last 3 weeks, tells you everything about the toxicity of our game, the saddest thing is that others in the MSM don’t counter or challenge the absurdity of what is currently written.

The ugliness of Scottish football was laid bare for all to see in summer 2012.

It will be a beautifully proud moment when we eventually lift title no.55, to see how far we've come, and how the club prevailed, despite the sheer bloodlust from those who wanted us dead and buried.

Media, social media and a biased television station feed the idea and easily influenced people take the bait

I have always felt that I have a healthy respect for that lot and understood that there are many C*ltic fans who, like me, were rational, reasonable and (i like to think) clever human beings that understood it was a game and did not sign up to the sheer hatred from some parts of the support of both sides. What I have learned is that irrespective of how decent people are on the outside they have a deep-rooted hatred burning inside them. I've lost a lot of respect for good friends who openly state they want us dead. Bizarre.

The Sevco thing seems to be something that other fans will think winds you up, cant say it bothers me much, usually laugh at them , I find h*n more offensive which usually surprises them if you nip back at that one.

There has always been rammys, tiffs and deep rivalry in the game but in my memory there has never been such a deep rooted undertone of hatred and toxicity across all factions of Scottish football as there is now.
It used to be possible to have a bit of banter with a fan of another team (not just Celtic) and leave it at that with a laugh and mutual respect, but these days any football conversation unless with one of our own turns to abuse by the end to the point that its akin to discussing religion or politics these days.

It is the worst it’s ever been
On and off the pitch

the government and football governing bodies are bending over backwards to the mentally challengeds in our society and we as a football club
And as a Protestant population have had enough

I always wondered if other rivals go out of their way as much as the Tims do to badmouth their opponents. Like posting all sorts of lies on every other teams forums, to taking out adverts in foreign newspapers, and writing books on our financial problems. Is this something say Liverpool fans would do to Man Utd?

On another forum I lurk on (local town forum) my signature is W.A.T.P
I had someone right out say my opinion was not valid as I was a racist bigot.
I obviously challenged the person on it and they claimed the slogad had racial undertones.
Once I pointed out the biblical history to it and the wide use by speech-makers and songwriters over the years they just refuse to apologise or even acknowledge their ignorance.
That winds me right up

Its indicative of the climate the whole country is in after years of toxic nationalist/Republican attacks on daily life.

Long may it continue. I don't want to be chummy or even civil with those cunts.

An easy way to tell is the treatment of Morelos. The majority of our media and pundits are actively trying to drive out Scotlands most promising player, tells you all you need to know. In any other country this man is worshipped not in our hating cesspit country.
absolutely never seen the like before, Walters got the bananas thrown at him but I dont remember the media going after him like they do Alfredo

Back