Scottish Game Toxic

This is the worst it has ever been, but it has gone well beyond football now.

In a way I'm thinking "fùck it, bring the bastards on" - always like to have a bit of needle. However it is also sad, Scotland was a great place to live. Now it's become toxic and has accelerated since 2014 - a lot of people I thought of as being, rational, decent individuals let their mask slip and I take absolutely nothing to do with them now.

SNP

Are republicans end of

and if we don’t stand up to them and fight our cause it will get even worse

I honestly can see it as bad as Ulster in the 70s if it’s not nipped in the bud

Said this in a post in response to the IRA package to Glasgow University last year and the fact that the "government" said nothing.

A couple of replies from Ulster bears were adamant that it would not get as bad as NI. Since then we have had Irish Republican marches on our streets (resulting in chaos), open support of the IRA and the infiltration of these organisations into the pro-independence movement and not an eyelid. In fact, certain SNP MSPs/ MPs are endorsing the divisions.

In my opinion it’s because most fans wanted our team dead and when that didn’t happen it’s created a lot of this toxicity add to the fact we are now challenging on all fronts and have Stevie as our manager they don’t like it one bit.

Don’t think it’s limited to just Scottish football, the easily offended brigade are out in force everywhere these days and the media are quick to pick up and run with it no matter how utterly stupid it is.everything is twisted to suit agendas and topics of the day whether it’s racism,sectarianism,mental health u name it. The world had gone mad and someone needs to press the reset button or it’s gonna get a whole lot worse.
I think our winning 55 presses the reset button !

My old man was a copper in Govan in the 80's, and regularly worked games at Ibrox (used to get me into the main stand terracing where all disableds went back then for nothing)

I wasn't allowed to go to OF games.

My mum drove over to pick him up at Helen St after one and took me with.

When we got came off the motorway at Ibrox and headed towards the stadium there was a full scale riot in progress.

We, being in a staunch Royal Blue Cortina, got a fucking massive brick thrown at us by the vermin and it put a huge dent in the roof.

It wasn't considered unusual.

All that came of it was my mum going "this is why you're not allowed to go!"

Exactly! I kinda miss it in a strange way.
At least nobody was making their fingers into guns back then though :eek:

Scum fc are in control, no doubt about it. Peter Lawwell and other earls are pulling all the strings.
I'm not convinced the Ryan Christie was legit, something stinks there.

Is the Scottish game in 2020 as toxic as it has ever been?
There has always been rammys, tiffs and deep rivalry in the game but in my memory there has never been such a deep rooted undertone of hatred and toxicity across all factions of Scottish football as there is now.
It used to be possible to have a bit of banter with a fan of another team (not just Celtic) and leave it at that with a laugh and mutual respect, but these days any football conversation unless with one of our own turns to abuse by the end to the point that its akin to discussing religion or politics these days.

I wonder will this wave ever subside and return to a more even keel?
I dont think it will be anytime soon.
It will never be an even Keel in my opinion!
F them all

Since 2000 but has come to a head since 2012.
Tim tactic of manoeuvring place men into positions of power throughout society bearing fruit.
They are untouchable.
Look what they've got away with and still are.
SFA, politics, press, GCC...etc etc etc

Nationalism is 100% to blame

The only thing that surprises me about this post is that it wasn't the first response to this thread. Had to wait for the 2nd response to arrive at the answer.

Could not agree more. Scottish Nationalism and the SNP being overrun with republicans is entirely to blame for all of the current poisonous atmosphere.

Its always been toxic but (fans may be able to correct me if I've got the match wrong) you can almost pinpoint the turning point to the 3-2 victory in December 2002. To divert attention from the fact that the tide was turning on his team MON put on a bizarre on field display with Lennon then made a big issue of "sectarian" abuse that Lennon took.

This bled into the national conversation and FM Jack Maconnall's abysmal Offensive Behaviours act and what was an increasingly diminishing issue was brought back up and continues to poison discourse to this day.

By the way here is the match!

I genuinely think Scotland in general is toxic at the moment.
Country divided due to independence.
Companies going bust and into administration with folks losing jobs.
Health service missing key figures.
Schools underfunded to the point that my sons class sometimes have to share reading books.
Just all off top of my head.

Never known it to be so hostile, there’s always been rivalry but it seems now to be genuine hatred (on both sides).

It has definitely been amplified by the independence campaign and all that has awoken in Scotland.
After 2012 we slept and allowed the hate brigade to set the agenda.Im afraid we let it get so far that we cant reverse the damage done.The press is full of bead rattlers and until that changes we will always be a target for their hatred.

The only thing that surprises me about this post is that it wasn't the first response to this thread. Had to wait for the 2nd response to arrive at the answer.

Could not agree more. Scottish Nationalism and the SNP being overrun with republicans is entirely to blame for all of the current poisonous atmosphere.
ABSOF*UCKINLUTELY ! The hatred against a United Britain is getting near boiling point .

Definitely toxic and I think it's all our fault!!
Wait for it......coz the majority of other teams and their support wanted us dead and they didn't get their wish. They hate us and all we stand for.
Also as we get better the more toxic it has become, great isn't it just knowing we mean that much to everyone,?
You have hit the nail right on the head Spot On, would only add, they all thought we were dead and now they are toxically hurting because we are back ever so strong with a big name Manager of our .huge club and getting glowing international reports.

Its always been toxic but (fans may be able to correct me if I've got the match wrong) you can almost pinpoint the turning point to the 3-2 victory in December 2002. To divert attention from the fact that the tide was turning on his team MON put on a bizarre on field display with Lennon then made a big issue of "sectarian" abuse that Lennon took.

This bled into the national conversation and FM Jack Maconnall's abysmal Offensive Behaviours act and what was an increasingly diminishing issue was brought back up and continues to poison discourse to this day.

By the way here is the match!

O'neill was the flagbearer for a lot of the hatred and toxicity that still prevails. He was the first one I had ever heard saying the term 'Irish racism'. I mean.??wtf?? All the usual suspects fell under his spell including McConnell and marched behind him and all the false offendedness that followed. It still resonates today.
All because his team were pumped that day.

You could possibly point to the fact the entire world seems to be a bit toxic at the moment.
Political divisions are poisonous all across the world; yes/no, leave/remain, republican/democrat etc there just doesn't seem to be any sort of consensus. It's my side versus yours.

In terms of Scottish football 2012 saw a lot of petty, small-minded bigots crawl out from under their rocks and given free reign to go after us.

Some of the vitriol aimed at us was nothing short of scandalous. Aided and abetted by a compliant media who were only too happy to stick the boot in.

The rise of social media allowed every crank under the sun to get their views across and everyone from the mentally challengeds (expected) all the way through the diddy teams thought we were dead and buried and saw this as their only opportunity to get their own back of watching us dominate Scottish football for so long.

In short, they can't handle the fact that not only were we not buried, we have worked our way back to be challenging for the title.

I won't be forgetting some of the shite I've been subjected to from mentally challengeds, st mirren fans and everyone else, even so-called neutrals.

When we eventually win 55 I genuinely think there will be large scale disturbances from a lot of bitter bastards that can't handle it!

This a disgusting, narrow minded, wee country these days. The nationalists poison everything they come near as do their footballing bedfellows.
I really don’t care for Scottish football outwith Rangers. I’ve zero interest in the national team too.

The SNP courting the RC vote and the politicisation of the police and law courts have not helped.

However, the attack was really started by RC's in the Labour Party and Murray didn't do anything to defend the club.

By 2012 it was open season and there was almost zero media defence of the club.

I'm still curious to know how they managed to obtain almost absolute hegemony in the media though?
That wasn't by accident, that's a well orchestrated, time-consuming and expensive undertaking. I suspect it's architect was Reid with all that he learned from New Labour.

Nationalism is an evil wherever it raises its ugly head. It divides and creates intolerance. Simple politics for simple people. Whole of Scotland is being taught to hate, taught to be intolerant of anyone that doesn’t share your views.

Ther3 ar3 thousands of bears that have been seduced by the cult. They need to stop and think what we have become.

20 years ago if you had friends in social circles then you knew where you stood with each other and you kept your thoughts and opinions to yourself. Now you've got a social media platform that anyone can say pretty much anything then claim "it's only a laugh" if they are pulled up for it.

See wee nippy got both barrels in the tinpot parliament yesterday. They reap what they sow and have made the whole country toxic. Funny when people have a different thought process to them react and they wonder why. 21st century Scotland eh?

They don't like it because we are spoiling their republican party, the snp and the plastic paddy party.
They wanted us dead and buried or at the very least nailed to the floor for a few more years so they could get ten tainted titles with limited challenge.

The game is more toxic than it's ever been, that's what happens when their hatred is allowed to influence the game.

I genuinely think Scotland in general is toxic at the moment.
Country divided due to independence.
Companies going bust and into administration with folks losing jobs.
Health service missing key figures.
Schools underfunded to the point that my sons class sometimes have to share reading books.
Just all off top of my head.
this is about the size of it, i think it will get worse before it gets better.

Back