How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

For all those saying Patterson is better than flannagan. I would be stunned if you have seen him play more than 5 full 90 mins to come to that conclusion
Thats all I need to see to know he is better than Flanagan.

Can’t run, can’t pass, can’t cross, can’t dribble. Plays like a 1970s full back.

If people can’t see how much he hinders us in games like tonight they need to watch a lot closer. We couldn’t open the game up and spread the play to create spaces because the players do not want to give him the ball.

Also not the great defender his fans make him out to be. Always got a mistake in him, booked for a silly foul & actually managed to get beat in a rare

Playing him Sunday is correct. He was brutal tonight - really highlights what tav contributes to the team. He still checks in field even on his comfortable foot actually

If we cant play an 18 year old full back against 10 men behind the ball St Mirren something is very wrong in my opinion.

Tynecastle is exactly the type of place where Flanagan comes into his own, and I suspect he played tonight for match practice. He did ok but will
Never offer as much going forward

If we play the same team. We will drop 2 points like last time. It’s that’s simple. Got F all going forward.

Folk getting ridiculously carried away about Paterson here. It’s not helpful for the lad either. The fact that he’s around the first team is brilliant but he’s played a friendly and a game against Stranraer. Flanagan has never let us down, has played at a very high level and has been a model pro since arriving.

Some people should take a look at themselves and realise what our captain brings us right enough in his absence.
He let us down at Aberdeen, he let us down in Moscow.

I could list more if you want. Absolute myth that he is some dependable outstanding defender.

Flanagan is really poor. Maybe Patterson just isn’t ready for this level yet but our right hand side is significantly weaker with Flanagan involved in it and I doubt it’d be any worse with Patterson there. Hopefully Tav is back ASAP.

Experience in the mens game for mutliple years

Patterson would naturally be targeted massively by Hearts

While we all want to see youth players given a chance this weekend is not the time

If Patterson was to play on Sunday you know exactly what the Hearts team talk would be, he would have been targeted from the start and the lad would be under enormous pressure.

If he made a costly error Gerrard would be crucified.

Flanagan needed some game time if he was going to be considered for Sunday so it made sense to play him tonight as NP won't be starting on Sunday.

It's the right decision for me as things stand.

I can totally see your point that Flannagan needed minutes on the pitch.

I ju
Flanagan needed some game time if he was going to be considered for Sunday so it made sense to play him tonight as NP won't be starting on Sunday.

It's the right decision for me as things stand.

I agree mate. Flanagan needed minutes in his legs. I think Patterson would have suited tonight better with his attacking play.

No real arguments as we got the 3 points.

I despair on here , really , he’s good enough to play , at 18 he’s old enough

We had nothing wide right and Flanagan not attacking hurt our shape

nah Patterson is too young , honest to Christ , sooo what age isn’t too young??? 23/24/25 ffs

what a crappy excuse , too young, what age is billy Gilmour?

Flanagan was fine. Not the best going forward but defensively strong. I would bet most of us have not really seen much of Patterson to make a fair assessment. I put my trust in Stevie G to know who to pick.

Eh really easily, flannigan was solid tonight and has all the experience in the world.

If Patterson was to play on Sunday you know exactly what the Hearts team talk would be, he would have been targeted from the start and the lad would be under enormous pressure.

If he made a costly error Gerrard would be crucified.
Hearts will play 2-3 youth players. We should target them and it’ll be a simple rollover then, just like last time at Tynecastle

Not a big fan of Flanagan but he never done much wrong tonight. Offers nothing going forward but he done his job defensively.

We would have Flanagans temperament and rash tackles as a worry and Patterson’s inexperience as a worry also, who to play

I despair on here , really , he’s good enough to play , at 18 he’s old enough

We had nothing wide right and Flanagan not attacking hurt our shape

nah Patterson is too young , honest to Christ , sooo what age isn’t too young??? 23/24/25 ffs

what a crappy excuse , too young, what age is billy Gilmour?

You're asking a lot of a boy making his debut to come in and play three games in a week and even more so under the pressure that we're seeing at the moment.

He'll get his chance. He's being managed well.

Thats all I need to see to know he is better than Flanagan.

Can’t run, can’t pass, can’t cross, can’t dribble. Plays like a 1970s full back.

If people can’t see how much he hinders us in games like tonight they need to watch a lot closer. We couldn’t open the game up and spread the play to create spaces because the players do not want to give him the ball.

Also not the great defender his fans make him out to be. Always got a mistake in him, booked for a silly foul & actually managed to get beat in a rare

You really should get to spec savers mate.

First half Flanagan was our only player who found a team mate with every pass. Yes 3 crosses got deflected. How many crosses did Patterson put in on Friday that found a man ?

We couldn’t open the game up because our midfield took an eternity to actually get it forward. I’ve seen double decker buses turn quicker than Jack tonight, he is the only player I have seen who has to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the park.

Flanagan got booked for his fourth foul, it was Kamara that got booked tonight for a silly foul or are you thinking of Patterson from Friday night.

Patterson has one good game against a lower league team that offered no attacking threat. Cue piles of posts wanting him to play at Tynecastle. If he played and had a bad game it would set him back in confidence massively. Cue the same people booing him from the stands and slagging him off on here.

Lad is a really exciting prospect, as is Kai Kennedy. They need games. But they need used slowly and carefully with thought and care. Tynecastle isn’t the place to play a lad for his first away start.

You really should get to spec savers mate.

First half Flanagan was our only player who found a team mate with every pass. Yes 3 crosses got deflected. Patterson never found a man from a cross once on Friday did he.

We couldn’t open the game up because our midfield took an eternity to actually get it forward. I’ve seen double decker buses turn quicker than Jack tonight, he is the only player I have seen who has to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the park.

Flanagan got booked for his fourth foul, it was Kamara that got booked tonight for a silly foul or are you thinking of Patterson from Friday night.
Wow.

Flanagan is a competent stopper. Not something that suits our system given how much we look to our full-backs for creativity. We are more likely to drop points with him in the side.

He let us down at Aberdeen, he let us down in Moscow.

I could list more if you want. Absolute myth that he is some dependable outstanding defender.

Who said he was outstanding? He’s a decent defender who has done a good job for us over the piece. The young kid has played against one of the worst teams in the lower divisions but you have him keeping decent experienced players out the team in huge games. It’s not time for risks, it’s time for experience, cool heads and sensible management decisions. Fortunately the manager knows that.

You cannot fault Flanagan for his defensive work. He is a very solid defender. He just doesn't offer anything going forward.

I really do think for tonight Patterson would have been a much, much better option.

However, at the weekend it probably would make sense to keep Flanagan playing at the moment.

Flanagan is fine if we're up against it. Any game where we are expected to dominate, he is useless. His crossing is more of a hit and hope, he doesn't drive with the ball and more often than not, he slows the play down by cutting back inside instead of going past his man on the outside.

It was really brutal to watch him at times tonight.

Last edited:
It's a valid challenge, Flanagan is not the kind of full back who fits our system well.

I also don't buy the "he's too young / he's not ready" argument about Patterson, he's 18 FFS we've seen plenty of pros younger than him play consistently at the top level.

All that said, Hearts will want to get physical on Sunday with us and it may well be a game that suits Flano better.

Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly

I thought Flanagan did alright tonight. He’s no Tav though. As for both Hickey and PingPong, all I see is the pair of them getting torn apart on a regular basis.

Patterson shows great promise. Games like Stranraer are the time to give him his chance not a tough, physical battle at Tynecastle at a critical point in our title challenge. That said, I would not have been averse to him starting tonight, but not Sunday - as hypocritical as that sounds.

Flanagan was rank tonight, caught out a few times.
Going forward, i would release him in the summer.
He is not good enough.
He is taking patersons chance, we is not on for next season.

I know he wasn’t really tested but I thought he did ok tonight.

Solid enough, gets forward in support although not much of a threat, keeps the ball moving with simple passes to better players.

Patterson will get his chance but just maybe not away at Tynecastle.

Flanagan is solid back-up. He can do a job on Sunday. Other players will need to step up offensively. If we can’t cope without Tav against a very poor Hearts team then we can say goodbye to the title now.

Flanagan only viable option,experience and physicality simple choice

Who said he was outstanding? He’s a decent defender who has done a good job for us over the piece. The young kid has played against one of the worst teams in the lower divisions but you have him keeping decent experienced players out the team in huge games. It’s not time for risks, it’s time for experience, cool heads and sensible management decisions. Fortunately the manager knows that.
Scrap the academy in that case. Whats the point in pumping funds in to it every year if we’re constantly going to go for experience over ability?

Tynecastle is always difficult regardless of how poor Hearts have been, it’s a cup final for them and not the environment to be pitching in a youngster.

I trust SG’s judgement on this one. Last thing you want to do is put him in a game away to Hearts where one potential mistake may dent his confidence. CottonWoolLoyal

We played the young fella Myles Beerman against the mentally challengeds and he gave away a penalty.Clearly wasnt ready for such a game,Nathan will need to bide his time. Tynecastles not the place to be playing inexperienced young players

Watch Flanagan trying to deliver a cross.
It’s remarkable, as in remarkably bad.
Tonight I watched him mess up several deliveries one after the other.
Not good enough, surely he practises this?

Scrap the academy in that case. Whats the point in pumping funds in to it every year if we’re constantly going to go for experience over ability?

You pump funds into it to produce players like Ferguson, McGregor, Hutton etc. The best players always get through and those who are not good enough for us don’t. It’s really quite simple. We have a group of decent kids but that doesn’t mean they are all ready to come into our team week in week out. Especially when the team are doing well.

Josh McPake is one of the biggest prospects we have, he’s been unable to get a game at Dundee. Talented boys doesn’t mean ready for a title race, the most important one we’ve had in years. If the manager thought he was currently a better option than Flanagan do you seriously think he wouldn’t be playing? But then the manager sees them day in day out and you’ve seen the lad in the first team for less than 2 games.

"The last 2 performances show the above quite clearly" :))

I'm as excited as the rest of us about young Nathan but come on tae f*ck man. So Flanagan's years of EPL and European experience are in the bin because an 18 year old had a good game against Stranraer?

Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly
How can you post this mate when it’s not Sunday yet ✌️

Back