“I need Helander back fit sharpish”

Throwing Katic under the bus like that is shocking and are we going to rush hellander back to soon and him break down.

If Gerrard could open his eyes and see who's out of form and pick a formation that shits us then maybe the pressure wouldn't all be on a rookie CB

I think that is an extremely poor comment. He has played the same formation and just about the same team since the break and it has been stinking the place out. Katic has a poor one today but Gerrard has been poor for weeks. Obviously the last 30 mins on Thu is the outlier to this comment.
Did he say that after the tramps game?

Think loads of supporters have a bit of a soft spot for Katic but Gerrard seems to criticise him more than any other player after mistakes or poor performances.

Gerrard isn't devoid of criticism. He spent more than any supporter would have imagined we had and bought us a Liverpool perennial loanee who wouldn't look out of place at a bottom five Championship team.

His determination to stick with the Warburton 433 with more expensive players is costing us dearly domestically and as a result have absolutely crumbled after the break.

he is lucky he got 30mins

he was lucky he started after Thursday tbh

We'll see. A lot of clubs will see the way he is seemingly programmed to diving into rash tackles and will run a mile, but others will appreciate that brawn and think they will be able to work on him as a long term project. Gerrard just doesn't have the time to do that.

Pathetic comment from Gerrard.

It was Katic worst game in a Rangers jersey no doubt about it, but Gerrard is as much to blame as Katic today.

His tactics cost us.

did they?

i’m not buying that!

20+shots on goal!!

i’m all for blaming the manager but who can legislate for Katic and his inability to clear his lines (twice)

Thought McGregor could have done better at their first goal shouldn't have stayed on his line and no goalie should get nutmegged

Think loads of supporters have a bit of a soft spot for Katic but Gerrard seems to criticise him more than any other player after mistakes or poor performances.

Gerrard isn't devoid of criticism. He spent more than any supporter would have imagined we had and bought us a Liverpool perennial loanee who wouldn't look out of place at a bottom five Championship team.

His determination to stick with the Warburton 433 with more expensive players is costing us dearly domestically and as a result have absolutely crumbled after the break.

Why call it the Warburton 433?

Like he is the only manager who plays it.....

Honestly - this place sometimes

We'll see. A lot of clubs will see the way he is seemingly programmed to diving into rash tackles and will run a mile, but others will appreciate that brawn and think they will be able to work on him as a long term project. Gerrard just doesn't have the time to do that.

He has persisted so far.

Why call it the Warburton 433?

Like he is the only manager who plays it.....

Honestly - this place sometimes
It's a formation that MW ushered in for our club.

It worked in Scotland's 2nd tier. It didn't in the top flight.
Gerrard's determination to stick to the formation with one out of form player up top is costing us heavily.

Successful teams change and adapt. We've one the square root of f all using 433 and no manager since MW has adapted.

did they?

i’m not buying that!

20+shots on goal!!

i’m all for blaming the manager but who can legislate for Katic and his inability to clear his lines (twice)

Yes they did. He blamed himself for the Kilmarnock result yet played the exact same 11 in the exact same system today. A system that clearly hasn’t been working for 6 weeks now.

Guess how we got back into the game and took the lead? By bringing a second striker on and changing the system.

Then what does he do? Makes 2 subs, reverts back to the old system and we end up drawing the game. It seems he’ll never learn.

Katic was a disgrace today but he’s an easy scapegoat for Gerrard to hide behind. It was pretty clear after 20 minutes that Katic was having a mare. There was only one person today with the power to do something about that, but he chose not to.

For God's sake. This thread is as embarrassing a read as I have ever seen on FF. From the number of professional managers on here I would have expected better than "never throw players under the bus", What utter crap. If they don't play well then they deserve to be criticized and justly so. Stevie Gerrard isn't out there playing midfield any more but trusts his players to carry out his instructions. It isn't his fault if they can't or won't. He was a miracle worker on Thursday night and is now the worst guy to try and be the manager of Rangers so, think on. I have no idea why so many players have lost form and I don't think he does either. Today both his center halves were red rotten. Tav was awful and Halliday is no substitute for Borna. Arfield was anonymous today as was Hagi.Jack was almost as bad so there are 3 of our midfielders out of it. The subs were good and brought us back to 2 each but Alfie and Kent are desperately off form and both need to be played and rediscover their form. If the players can't or won't play for a legend in Gerrard then get rid of them and start over. He likes playing 4 3 3 but needs better players to make the system work.

But to be positive, they are better than the Maple Leafs who I watched last night get thumped by Carolina with a Zamboni driver in goal for The Hurricanes.

He will protect and play some players and throw others he doesn't fancy under the bus. Been pretty clear he has not fancied Katic from the beginning. What about Edmundson then - why is he not getting a look in??

The jury is still out on Helander tbh - does he have the consistency we need?? I would say nope.

His handing of certain members of his squad is now looking a bit suspect under pressure.

It is 10 0% true however not a comment that should have been made.
Hoprfully it gives the 2 centre halves a kick up the backside a d doesn't competely knock their confidence..

Either could happen and it is, a risky game to play making public comments.

That’s a pathetic shitebag comment obviously aimed at defending himself.

It’s not as though Helander has looked anything like answer anyway.

Personal opinion but that’s a disgraceful comment from Gerrard. I’m losing faith in him, he continually publicly skated Katic while others, such as Goodson, are treated differently.

In spite of the many views expressed, it might just be, if Katic had played a wee bit better today, we would have picked up the three points.

Whilst I don’t disagree with the fact we could do with Helander back I really need to take issue with Gerrard over this.

He, like the rest of us, saw the total clusterfuck of a game our two central defenders were having and did absolutely nothing about it.

We had a perfectly good centre back in Edmundson sitting on the bench whilst Goldson and Katic, especially Katic, continuously put us in danger and their idiocy at the back then lead to the corner which drew the game level.

It’s all well and good hanging your players out to dry in public but the reality is Gerrard has the opportunity to change it at any point today and decided to let Goldson and Katic play the full game.

I’m getting a bit sick of the manager and his empty words tbh.

I'm sure our centre halves, the ones we need to keep Braga out will welcome that statement !! Hellander isnt the fix to our woes. He might be part of a fix..if we sign a top Centre Half to play beside him..

He's got plenty of excuses but seemingly no solutions. He's the manager, the onus is on him to fix it. Helander being out is way down the list of problems that need to be addressed.

"hmm wot message does it send to Katic n Edmundson"

That they're behind an international player with experience of playing at the highest level. There is levels between Helander and both of these guys. Levels.

An injured international player who has had a few stinkers thus far in his short Rangers career. Helander gives me the fear at times, due to his lack of pace.

Reactions: SSR
Some layers
When tav was having his nightmare, I’m sure Gerrard defended him.

why is it some players and not others?
Some players react differently and I would suggest the ones that “are getting thrown under the bus” are repeat offenders.
I didn’t see anything wrong with his interview, if I had been interviewed after game and I’m sure a vast majority or fans would’ve exploded.

the staff, I would be certain have been trying and trying to make sure these simple mistakes don’t happen

Helander has never performed like Katic did today, not even close
My question to Gerrard would be if Katic was so bad why was he allowed to continue?

The performance being bad is one thing, it happens, the fact it wasn’t changed by the manager sits firmly with him and he can point and say he needs Helander back all he wants but that sits with him.

Last edited:
Slightly concerning comment. Don’t need to give the media any headlines.

Btw, Helander ain’t going to be available on Wednesday so who is going to play? Surely it needs to be Katic and Goldson. Only other option is Edmundson and that could be a risk given that Katic has more experience and played the first leg.

He’s being found out now that he’s had a long run in the team.
Was today a player being found out? The lead up to the second goal begins with some strange mix up with him and Goldson; I'm a fan of Goldson, but he was also to blame there.

Back