Filth furlough their staff

bloodandfire

CELTIC have confirmed plans to put a number of non-playing staff members on furlough.
But Hoops chiefs have vowed to ensure all workers affected receive 100 per cent of their wages.
Celtic today started the process of using the UK government's job retention scheme across the club.
SunSport understands a number of youth academy coaches will be among those on furlough for the next few months.
With no return to football on the horizon anytime soon, other employees in various departments will also be placed on the scheme.
Those impacted will be unable to do any work for the club - with the situation likely to be reviewed in June.
The UK government covers 80 per cent of wages up to £2500 per month - and Celtic will pay the rest for anyone earning more.
Parkhead officials have also promised staff that all other conditions and benefits will be honoured during this period.
A Celtic spokesperson said: “Like many organisations, due to the unprecedented challenges currently being faced, Celtic will be using the government job retention scheme available, in relation to a number of colleagues.
"At this time, Celtic will ensure that each colleague on this scheme will receive 100 per cent salary, with all other conditions and benefits remaining unchanged.
"Other colleagues will continue to work as normal to cover the club’s ongoing operational requirements.
"Celtic would like to sincerely thank each and every member of staff for all their continued efforts and their tremendous support during such a difficult time for everyone."

I don't blame them for using the option, I hope we as a club follow suite.
I'm currently on this scheme myself since Friday, unfortunately my work isn't offering to make up the 20% which is a bit shit given the savings they are making with 8 of us on it.

Hold on a minute all that is happening here is clubs with multi millions of reserves are asking the UK government for a bail out . Surely it should be means tested. If we do this then that’s fine as we are not quick to say how rich we are etc .

This money could be used elsewhere that needs it most

I think it’s an outrage and not just because it’s Celtic

A Celtic spokesperson said: “Like many organisations, due to the unprecedented challenges currently being faced, Celtic will be using the government job retention scheme available, in relation to a number of colleagues. But but weer oirsh

thought they were the club like no other......?

To be fair, I'm surprised we've not heard anything coming out of Ibrox in relation to this. I'm sure they're working on it and will announce plans soon.

A club with no shame Lawwell no doubt is still being paid his £3,500,000 a year deal while minimum wage staff get told to wait till further down the line. Players should be taking a wage cut long before cleaners but that mob as so obsessed by what Rangers do they won't cut wages till Rangers do it first.

Said it a few times now their actions don't speak of a club that's awash with money far from it. No doubt calls will be made big time for Rangers to make wages cuts since they are utterly desperate now.

Last edited:
Like others have said, this should be used when the business in question can literally not afford to pay their staff and there would otherwise be threat of redundancies. So is this the case here then? Or have they just jumped all over a handout from their much hated United Kingdom?

We will, inevitably, do something similar.

However, I'd like to see us delay any announcement until we are in a position to announce that in addition to furloughing some staff we can also announce that the players have volunteered to take pay cuts or deferrals.

Might be a forlorn hope though.

The thing is, if the authorities would just get on and announce this season terminated it would give some much-needed clarity on the way ahead. Difficult enough to put season tickets on sale when folk are on the breadline without leaving a situation hanging whereby we don't know when the season will start or how many games we will be expected to play next season.

A club with no shame Lawwell no doubt is still being paid his £3,500,000 a year deal while minimum wage staff get told to wait till further down the line. Players should be taking a wage cut long before cleaners but that mob as so obsessed by what Rangers do they won't cut wage till Rangers do it first.

Said it a few times now their actions don't speak of a club that's awash with money far from it. No doubt calls will be made big time for Rangers to make wages cuts since they are utterly desperate now.
Sutton was on message today with the "Why Rangers aren't cutting costs"
They are so fuckin predictable.

Hold on a minute all that is happening here is clubs with multi millions of reserves are asking the UK government for a bail out . Surely it should be means tested. If we do this then that’s fine as we are not quick to say how rich we are etc .

This money could be used elsewhere that needs it most

I think it’s an outrage and not just because it’s Celtic
Yeah, means testing.....no need to do any investigation, just need to look at posted company profits in this financial year.

However, I'd like to see us delay any announcement until we are in a position to announce that in addition to furloughing some staff we can also announce that the players have volunteered to take pay cuts or deferrals.

The thing is, if the authorities would just get on and announce this season terminated it would give some much-needed clarity on the way ahead. Difficult enough to put season tickets on sale when folk are on the breadline without leaving a situation hanging whereby we don't know when the season will start or how many games we will be expected to play next season.
I think the vast majority of Rangers fans would be sickened tbh if we announced this sort of thing without any news on player wage cuts.

I think the vast majority of Rangers fans would be sickened tbh if we announced this sort of thing without any news on player wage cuts.

I agree. However, as I've posted before, player cuts are not straightforward. Would the likes of Halliday and Foderingham - just two examples - agree to pay cuts when they will be out of contract on 31 May and potentially left high and dry with nowhere to go and no club to sign for until football returns (hopefully) in the Autumn?

Fans and club happy to now be part of Britain taking the Government payout. When all of this is over they’ll still be spouting the anti British pro IRA shiite

Spot on. Player cuts should be announced first or at same time at least.

Like many businesses most clubs will likely follow, but image the furore amongst them and their press cheerleaders if we had done this before them!

All clubs will be doing the same. This is a difficult time for all employees out there but 80% is better than nothing.

It was designed to protect businesses who would otherwise need to pay folk off. That's not the case for them.

Shameful.

They will also gain a sporting advantage by stealing taxpayers money that they don't require.
This is true! And it applies to all wealthy organisations. It's designed to be for firms who'd otherwise go to the wall and have staff lose their jobs, not for well leveraged employers to save themselves money at taxpayers expense.

Rangers will do the same. The fact that paying staff are still getting 100% of their wages is a complete farce, and if any of them were in any way decent, tey would be offering up a pay cut to cover the costs of every day staff, and I include any Rangers player in that.

Back