Filth furlough their staff

It’s the right move given the current scheme..whether clubs with tens of millions in the bank should be allowed to access this sort of money is another debate

Cash rich yet expect the state the club and fans to bail them out!! I would give them f.uck all. Bastards.

As Churchill said ‘they hate the crown but the like the half-crown’! Horrible club and fans. They should have been directed to Eire see how welcome they are there.

Our work have just told us they’ll be doing the exact same. Furloughed but 100% wage. I’ll prob be 1st tranche to be on it
I’m on 12 week isolation with the Mrs as she has bad asthma. On my employer’s orders I’ve gotta add

Quite ironic as well that their muppet fan base are always spouting claptrap about them being formed as a charity to help out the poor working class Irish people. Now they've thrown these same people under the bus so fat cats like Lawwell can hoover up over £6,000,000 a year in wages and bonus money.

Amazing how quickly they ditch their "imaginary morals" when it suits them.

They pay tax. They're entitled to it whether we like it or not.

Drama on here at times

My problem with this is the same as previous posters - when this scheme was announced it was intended to avoid redundancies - not to increase profits for companies - hopefully when they set up the scheme for real things like that will be considered.

There will always be folk who try to abuse the system. (no pun intended given who we're talking about)

Is this the scheme where companies are given money by the UK Government?

I thought they hated the UK and everything associated with it.

While I agree I will hold off until whether we need to do this also !!
Why would I hold off , it's morally repugnant for any multimillionaire football club with gazillions in the bank to do this without exhausting all other avenues first , while the NHS is on it's knees and the country is close to bankruptcy , it is a new low for all those responsible , condoners and facilitators ..
I'm glad the British government have came out and all but said just that , concerning Newcastle , Spurs and any other cash rich clubs now jumping on the bandwagon

Last edited:
Hold on a minute all that is happening here is clubs with multi millions of reserves are asking the UK government for a bail out . Surely it should be means tested. If we do this then that’s fine as we are not quick to say how rich we are etc .

This money could be used elsewhere that needs it most

I think it’s an outrage and not just because it’s Celtic

Agree with this 100%.

Felt the same when the story about Spurs doing the same came out yesterday.

A Celtic spokesperson said: “Like many organisations, due to the unprecedented challenges currently being faced, Celtic will be using the government job retention scheme available, in relation to a number of colleagues. But but weer oirsh
I know they hate everything British except benefits

Common sense?

It's poor that a large business is taking advantage of the rule but many in England are.

We'll do the same.

Makes sense from a business perspective.
We will maybe do the same but it’s not a direct comparison. We will probably do it because of need not greed .
You continue to defend them all you like

I don't blame them for using the option, I hope we as a club follow suite.
I'm currently on this scheme myself since Friday, unfortunately my work isn't offering to make up the 20% which is a bit shit given the savings they are making with 8 of us on it.

Disagree, football players earning 4-5 figures a week should be the first to be taking a cut, particularly when there's no football to be played!
Effectively the government and taxpayer is now subsidising clubs to pay their football players. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the players were also getting furloughed to a £2,500 maximum a month.

Remember, this rancid anti British organisation were awarded the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth games.

British when it suits the rancid c.unts!

Makes me sick mate. I’m stuck in the house no work, might be able to sort something in June for the self employment scheme. The Mrs wages cover our bills just about. That mhob are supposed to be cash rich , their using this scheme wrong imh.
The Tory government bailing them is the biggest irony. Fecking faceless scum bastards

Beat me to it .
The scum that they are, slag off and despise everything British .
1st in line for hand outs though eh . Bastards.
I think the phrase was “an Oirish club which happens to play in Scotland” Oirish except when it suits them of course. Add to the 3.5 billion paid by the UK to bail out their nasty little bankrupt country, which they took but for which we have naturally received no acknowledgement.

No doubt they'll be throwing millions about on transfers as soon as they can, but they pay their tax yadda yadda yadda

I hope the first people to swallow any cuts at Ibrox are the players, I'll be pretty pissed if it isn't

They pay tax the same as everyone else.

My understanding of it was that instead of paying people off (forcing them onto UC) Goverment offered the 80% to ensure that at the end of all this they still had a job to return to (ie your workplace doesn't close due to bankruptcy)

Spurs (Celtic & Others) can't afford to keep on the tea lady/cleaner etc who'll be on £400 a week if their lucky, but can afford to pay out £4m a week on players & Daniel Levy is still getting his £7m a year. Yet If your self-employed and make more than 50k/year (or just paid off) you get £87 a week & you can't even apply for UC if you have more than 16k in 'savings'

This should not be allowed with the money they apparently have in the bank. And they are part of the UK when it suits !!:mad:

Playing staff should be taking pay cuts across the board at all big clubs who think they can sponge off the tax payer in order to keep overpaying these players.

It would be nice if footballers were brought back to Earth after all this is over. Sadly that won’t happen unfortunately.

The insanity of the wages they get is a disgrace. For kicking a ball? And most of them don’t do it very well often enough.

My understanding of it was that instead of paying people off (forcing them onto UC) Goverment offered the 80% to ensure that at the end of all this they still had a job to return to (ie your workplace doesn't close due to bankruptcy)

Spurs (Celtic & Others) can't afford to keep on the tea lady/cleaner etc who'll be on £400 a week if their lucky, but can afford to pay out £4m a week on players & Daniel Levy is still getting his £7m a year. Yet If your self-employed and make more than 50k/year (or just paid off) you get £87 a week & you can't even apply for UC if you have more than 16k in 'savings'
He was talking about all football clubs.

Football clubs pay taxes so are as entitled as anyone to the scheme. It's not the governments money, it's yours and mine.

And we'll all be footing the bill to replace it.

Back