Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

He certainly needs to call out referees more strongly. We were cheated on numerous occasions last year.

No coincidence that we performed far better in Europe - the dice weren't loaded.

That is nonsense, there have been multiple decisions in Europe go against us just from when Gerrard took over. "offside goals", red cards etc

The difference between Europe and the league is primarily, in Europe we are the under dogs, we can sit back a bit more and hit team on the counter. In the league we simply don't have the quality to break down teams with 10 men behind the ball, managers know this.

He"s beem here long enough and had enough cash to make this team his own. If he doesnt deliver next sesson then he has to walk imo.
He hasnt shown enough domestically to persevere if nothing is won next year

I fully realise that.But I also see the constant excuses made for him by many on here.Would they make the same excuses if he wasn't who he is?

To be fair so many people want it to work and us to be successful the same “excuses” are made regardless of the profile of the manager. Excuses were made for McCoist, Warburton, Murty, Pedro. I don’t think the gaffer is much different in that regard

You have wanted him gone for ages and wanted Allardyce to replace him.
:D I was asked who I would get and I suggested him.I stand by that as I think he'd have a better chance of winning the strange little league that is Scotland than Gerrard.I also stand by the fact that no Rangers manager should be in a job losing 6 out of 6 trophies to Celtic. But Covid 19 has changed something's.He deserved 1 more chance.
If he delivers great if not bye bye.

The thought of going through yet another managerial change and potential squad overhaul just doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.

As long as we keep improving then we keep the faith. January onwards was a shambles and needs addressed, but overall the direction of travel is right (albeit a bit slower than we’d all like).

We’ve got to stick with this IMO.

I don’t think he would of survived the season if we played to a finish. Ibrox was toxic vs Hamilton.
The toxic atmosphere at Ibrox is created by a minority of people. If they can’t support the team or at least not boo and criticise for 90 mins they should go elsewhere. The lack of atmosphere and support in general though from us fans at Ibrox at times is not helping the team.

Such a complete nonsense that Gerrard gets an easy ride because he's Steven Gerrard. Folk on here were wanting him sacked after the Aberdeen game last year.

You're literally ignoring reality. There’s folk here and all over social media trying to belittle others who question Gerrard on a daily basis.

I did put in brackets he's been a success in Europe.But unless you actually went all the way in the Europa doing well in it isn't going to make up not winnling domestically imo.

His two European campaigns will have been treated like trophy wins for our Board, no doubt about that.

Actual silverware is required next season and I think he'll know that himself.

Now, you can make the argument that Gerrard is possibly the bridging manager - the manager to vastly improve us all over the board but not get us over that line(see Tommy Burns at Celtic) but he absolutely deserves another shot at this. He's more than earned it.

There's an important distinction made here which I think is often ignored during these conversations:

Gerrard has brought some kind of improvement to Rangers, but I don't think it's enough.

Pressed send before I meant to. Expanded it now, didn't mean it to sound that cheeky!
I
I agree with this.

Regardless of what your opinion is, there’s still a large swathe of fans star struck by the name. The reality is that the same mistakes were made two years on the bounce at exactly the same time.

The annual February-March collapse is a massive issue. The fact it’s now happened twice means it is a big thing for the players and manager. Whether it’s tactical or whether it’s mental who knows, but the buck stops with Gerrard.

Add into that the marriage he has to 4-3-3, the continual playing of underperformers, criticising and dropping some players for mistakes but not others and some quite concerning post match interviews - it’s not overly promising for me.
Hopefully two and three quarters times lucky

The toxic atmosphere at Ibrox is created by a minority of people. If they can’t support the team or at least not boo and criticise for 90 mins they should go elsewhere. The lack of atmosphere and support in general though from us fans at Ibrox at times is not helping the team.

It will be interesting to see how we get on BCD which is likely to be in place for at least half a season.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
You mention black and white in your op and again the managers situation is exactly the same . If he wins 1or 2 cups and a close runner up in the league. Gerrard is going nowhere and neither should he .

I'm not forgetting that at all. I'm also not forgetting about our inability to beat utter shite in the league, which is what scuppered another league campaign halfway through the year.

Can't do much about referees. We shot ourselves in the foot in the LCF and they can't be blamed for failing to beat the team bottom of the league - what was it, three times?

What does "a better position to challenge" mean to you? Out of the title race again the first week after the break?

It means our squad is much better than when Gerrard came to the club. We still have to find more depth in the squad ie cover at left back where the drop off in quality isn't Borna to Haliday.

We need at least two forwards and a box to box midfielder, Gerrard imo needs to be more flexible in his system too. If we get most of those right I believe we can win the title next season

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
Maybe we can have you as his successor?

It will be interesting to see how we get on BCD which is likely to be in place for at least half a season.
Consider in the last 2 seasons how this team have performed when:
1. under pressure, we've collapsed
2. no pressure, we've played some great football.

BCD should suit the team & it's nothing to do with fans as our away form was sketchy to say the best

It means our squad is much better than when Gerrard came to the club. We still have to find more depth in the squad ie cover at left back where the drop off in quality isn't Borna to Haliday.

We need at least two forwards and a box to box midfielder, Gerrard imo needs to be more flexible in his system too. If we get most of those right I believe we can win the title next season

I don't think anyone would argue that the squad is better, but that doesn't mean much when the guy in charge doesn't know what to do with them. I agree, however, that more players need to come in, but given a dodgy signing record, he needs to get these right.

Gerrard knows himself he's got to deliver something next season and winning the league would make him immortal. It's got to be the priority.

All our bad luck came at once in January. We lost Morelos to suspension and then Tav, Defoe, Barisic, Jack then Arfield to injuries. We missed out on Vydra on dealing day who I firmly believe would've hit the ground running up here (as he did when he got back into the Burnley side).

However we failed to adapt when we lost these key players, we just tried to play different players in the 4-3-3 and it failed miserably. Whereas Celtic changed to a 3-5-2 and couldn't stop scoring.

Bizarre isn't it. There is no middle ground allowed for Stevie. Next year we are genuinely talking about a flip of the coin as to whether he will be immortal and named amongst Rangers' greatest... Or a flop.

How messed up are some bears!?!

He could reach a league cup, Scottish Cup and uefa Cup final next year. He could finish 1 point behind celtic in the league on the last day. He could narrowly miss out on trophy by fine margins to teams comprehensively out spending his own young side... And there are genuinely folk on here who would be calling for his sacking!!!

And the disgusting thing? I bet if all that happened with one difference: we finished 2nd by 1 point to Aberdeen... Large number of us hypocrits would find it far more paletable. And we call them obsessed!

I did put in brackets he's been a success in Europe.But unless you actually went all the way in the Europa doing well in it isn't going to make up not winnling domestically imo.
No, he will have to win a trophy in Scotland, but these runs in Europe have been important in so many other ways.
The perception of the club down in England, for instance, has risen steadily with good results in Europe.
English people don't tend to take much notice of a 5-0 over Ross County, but they understand the value of an away win in Portugal.
How much did these results influence the size of the deal with our new kit suppliers?

The truth is, closing the gap with The Filth is very much enabled through our financial muscle and Gerrard has been a huge success in this regard.
Had he won that League Cup Final I am 100% sure that our entire season would be looking different today.
However, a huge hill that has to be breached is the psychological one that influences our officials in games that involve Rangers and The Filth.
It has become clear that officials shy away from decisions that will get them in the firing line of The Filths big media batteries, and instead duck their nuts to maintain a safe work and home environment for themselves and their families.
A lot of people on here may not agree, but in my opinion, this is our biggest stumbling block to success in Scotland.

If, as is a realistic expectation, a good chunk of the first part of the season is behind closed doors I would fully expect our squad to be flying and drop next to nothing

If/when the fans come back is what I’m worried about. And that’s an observation on the mental frailties of the squad and staff rather than any dig at the fan base.

Regardless of the claims from Them about how many they’ve won/stolen/been gifted if he comes back empty handed next season I think it’s time to move on.

Because of the base he began with.

Different if Gerrard walked into a squad chock full of winners and finished 2nd twice. But he didn't. Easy enough for Deila, Rodgers and Lennon to walk into a ready made championship winning squad and change very little.

He walked into a football bombsite littered with overpaid duds and players who in all honesty had no business being in a Rangers team in the Premiership.

Gerrard's had to rebuild from scratch - The goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield, the attack. There isn't an area in the team he hasn't hugely improved. He deserves enormous credit for the changes he's made to our defensive record. We were losing FIFTY goals in the league to utter muck before he arrived.

Now, you can make the argument that Gerrard is possibly the bridging manager - the manager to vastly improve us all over the board but not get us over that line(see Tommy Burns at Celtic) but he absolutely deserves another shot at this. He's more than earned it.

This post sums it up for me. Anyone who cannot see the vast improvement in all aspects of the club, including our performances is quite frankly clueless.
Rangers have been a joy to watch a lot of the time under Gerrard, but he's also transforming the club to a modern day level of excellence. We need to be patient and let him finish the job. I have confidence he'll get it done.

This is the problem surrounding conversations about Gerrard, right here.

He's being held to a different set of standards just because he is, as you put it, "frickin Stevie G."

Your right. I'm sure castore would be pumping over £20m into the club and blowing Mike Ashley out of the water in the process if we had McInnes in charge...

Overachieved in Europe underachieved domestically.
Considering the money he has spent our inability to beat the dross of the SPFL is appalling.
Too much of our domestic football is turgid, I think he overthinks Scottish football.
Most of the players we have are not good enough to win the league and Gerrard has failed to get them to deliver when it counts, there are not enough winners in that squad and not enough talent.
For me Gerrard has failed to stamp his vision into his team and get them to play for him, that's a huge factor in any manager succeeding.
Too many of his signings are not good enough and he has failed to improve them and too many short term panic buys.

:D I was asked who I would get and I suggested him.I stand by that as I think he'd have a better chance of winning the strange little league that is Scotland than Gerrard.I also stand by the fact that no Rangers manager should be in a job losing 6 out of 6 trophies to Celtic. But Covid 19 has changed something's.He deserved 1 more chance.
If he delivers great if not bye bye.

And that's the thing you and a few others in this thread will be dying for him to fail so you can come out and say 'I told you so'

I don't think anyone would argue that the squad is better, but that doesn't mean much when the guy in charge doesn't know what to do with them. I agree, however, that more players need to come in, but given a dodgy signing record, he needs to get these right.

Dodgy signing record?
Some haven't worked out at all but some have been good signing. Just like any manager at any club really,

His biggest issues for me are firstly finding alternatives to the 4-3-3 variation he and his coaching team appear wedded to, and then finding better quality players to execute them.

We’re still three or four players short of where we need to be.

I’m talking about after the game. It was not a minority either.

Hearts away the weekend before was toxic also.

Although I do agree with you’re point about thr Ibrox atmosphere.

I’m surprised he’s been allowed to stay in post this long, without a single trophy.
Top player, great guy, but not our gaffer.
Last time I looked he was our gaffer and he will continue to be our gaffer as long as we are progressing. We are all in with Gerrard, the board have backed him and the fans have bought into it. We cannot continue to sack managers and start again every 18/24 months. Do you think we are improving?

There's an important distinction made here which I think is often ignored during these conversations:

Gerrard has brought some kind of improvement to Rangers, but I don't think it's enough.

Being fair it's not 'some kind of improvement' - it's a huge improvement across the board.

He's also stuck almost £30m in the coffers with the European runs

But there is a conversation that could be had on whether his teams have the mentality and consistency to challenge for a league title over 38 games.

Your right. I'm sure castore would be pumping over £20m into the club and blowing Mike Ashley out of the water in the process if we had McInnes in charge...

Moot point in a conversation about the feasibility of keeping on Gerrard if he doesn't deliver next season's league.

There are different ways to look at this.

If we play the start of next season the way we did the end of the last then Gerrard won't see Christmas in the job.

I'm not sure what the cause for optimism is. Why will we get a different team next season out of the same manager?

You're literally ignoring reality. There’s folk here and all over social media trying to belittle others who question Gerrard on a daily basis.

As opposed to figuratively, aye?

I'd say he still has the vast backing of the support. There is an element, however, who seem steadfast in their belief that that is purely because his name is Steven Gerrard when — shock horror — it's perhaps because they think he's done a decent job on the whole. I couldn't give a f*ck about his celebrity. I want him to be given a third season because I think he deserves it. Same goes for a lot of folk.

Moot point in a conversation about the feasibility of keeping on Gerrard if he doesn't deliver next season's league.

So his recent history will have no baring on that decision... At all... Understood.

So at no point would you be using a phrase along the lines of "Trophyless for 3 years" you say?!? That's generous of you! And also a complete lie...

So I suppose the real and genuine positive impact he is having on this club (This Week without a ball having been played) Is going to be relevant!

This is Rangers FC. Gerrard needs to deliver now... and he will. The improvement has been there for all to see... yes he has made mistakes, but it is all going to come together next season. Gerrard will know exactly what needs to be done for 55.
IMO we couldn’t be in better hands. For me he’s arguably the best young manager in Britain right now... we’ve got him on an upward trajectory.

Being fair it's not 'some kind of improvement' - it's a huge improvement across the board.

He's also stuck almost £30m in the coffers with the European runs

But there is a conversation that could be had on whether his teams have the mentality and consistency to challenge for a league title over 38 games.

I think I would stop slightly short of giving him such high praise but I certainly agree on the reservations over the ability to do it over a full season, and I really do think his failure to be part of a successful title-winning team at Liverpool - or at least part of one that mounted sustained campaigns over seasons - could be part of the problem.

Back