Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

He’s not the finished article as far as being a manager is concerned and our team also requires development. I know this coming season is particularly important as they could achieve the golden ‘nine and three quarters‘ but what we need from ourselves is evidence of progress and nothing but 100% both on and off the field. I want SG to remain at least to the end of his contract.

I wasn’t one of those suggesting he should go after the collapse in January and February and argued that it was ridiculous to imagine either he or the club would seriously entertain it, but next season will be his third and he needs to demonstrate that he’s able to rectify the problems that saw our season implode in the new year and ensure we’re firstly back competing evenly with the Yahoos and perhaps more significantly able to go one better in the cups.

If he gets off to a bad start and none of that appears on the cards the calls for his head will quickly turn into a roar. We’ve seen it happen enough times before that none of us should really be surprised if it does again, and simply having the name Steven Gerrard may not be enough to save him anymore.
Well IMO he should get 5 clear Seasons

It hasn't been two seasons yet and we've gone from routine humiliation against Celtic and not getting past the preliminary round of qualifying for Europe to being better head to head and the last 32.

Jurgen Klopp is arguably the best manager in the world and it took him 5 years to sort Liverpool out.

There is no quick fix for a club in our position and it's really alarming that the fans don't understand this

In a massively more competitive league with arguably a worse starting position, in the sense that even though our squad was pretty rotten when Gerrard came in we at least had the financial advantage over all but one team. Liverpool were competing with big hitters financially.

3 full seasons with the backing he has had financially isn’t ‘a quick fix’ as far as I am concerned.

It’s all the more frustrating that our continued failings are against the jobbers of Scottish football, it’s absolutely imperative he sorts that out.

We’ve had plenty of time for perspective re. what happened this season (last season) and so has Gerrard. Three absolutes stand out for me -

1. Sadly James Tavernier is not Rangers captain material.

2. Conor Goldson is behind too many soft goals and crumbles under pressure.

3. We cannot trust Alfredo Morelos to deliver over a season.

I’d make this our top 3 priorities - a leader on the pitch, a dominant centre half to partner Helander and a new 25 goal a season striker. On this Gerrard‘s future will depend.

Gerrard has built a team that neither Warburton or Pedro could do, which is compete against the tattie munches. He also gave us our place in Europe and progress in Europe again this season.

What he has not done is be consistent enough in dealing with the cannon fodder of the league, not been ruthless enough after poor performances against clubs we should be beating, and not built a team with mental strength to last a full season.

The honeymoon died at Ibrox v the sheep in the cup last year, we've made progress again this year up-to the last few weeks of football. Hopefully Gerrard and the staff have seen the problems and can fix it. Otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.

Are you kidding? There are guys on here (and no doubt on this very thread but they're all on ignore) who are frothing at the gash in anticipation for the next dropped point so they can smugly proclaim they were right along. They can't wait. You need to remember that a lot of people on the forum don't support Rangers the way most of us do. They get their kicks out of firing the boot in to our players/manager online. If you don't believe me just wait to you see the glee from them when it happens. Utter weirdos.

These posts always crack me up but are also a big issue with FF in general.

You cant criticise the manager without being told you want him to fail.

According to this we're all buzzing for the next lot of dropped points because we dare to voice our opinions that don't follow the FF party line.

I'd have been more interested in you're opinion on the thread subject rather than reading the pish that you're spouting because posters disagree with you.

According to this we're all buzzing for the next lot of dropped points because we dare to voice our opinions that don't follow the FF party line.

I'd have been more interested in you're opinion on the thread subject rather than reading the pish that you're spouting because posters disagree with you.

It’s true though mentioning ‘honeymoon over’, ‘last chance saloon’ shows that there’s a raft of people who have made their mind up already and are just waiting on the next slip up. You only need to look at match threads on here to see how some people can’t wait to jump on the players, there more negativity on here than you’ll ever get at games imo. I’m a bit more pragmatic with it all. Gerrard and the team were badly found wanting since the turn of the year but there’s absolutely no doubt we are improving.

Over the past week there’s been umpteen threads like this , overtly negative titles , even the thread discussing the reputed Dykes and Ferguson interest turned into yet another Tav bashing thread. The thread about how even if the Tims were one point ahead the season would be called was awash with people basically saying it doesn’t matter about the blatant corruption to hand them the league the team let us down and dropped points so everything those ‘shitebags’ fault. It’s strange but at the same time maybe we’ve been too starved of success now for it to be any other way which isn’t going to help us in the long run.

Seems a smart lad.

Hopefully taken this break to get their heads together and learn some valuable lessons.

Post January was shambolic on the whole. We need a change up/alternate option in a lot of games. The rigidity of the team is Warburton like at times.

In Europe - we’ve been great. It’s keeping the lights on at Ibrox just now, I’d guess.

Domestically, we are closing, but it needs to be better.

The squad is bloated, yet weak. It’s lacking alternatives to our current style. We lack energy and bite in the middle of the park.

Next year is massive - praying we get it right.
We need multiple options in style, more creativity in midfield, more goals from those supporting the lone striker, and several players of higher quality for the first XI.

Right now these would be my only guaranteed starters and Morelos only in there if his head is on right:
McGregor
X X Helander Barisic
X Jack X
X Morelos X

Xs are spots to be earned/bought for, in case of smart-arsed comments. I haven’t written off Aribo, Kamara or Kent but their consistency is not good enough. I think we should cash in on Tavernier and Goldson while we can. Too many mistakes in both of them.

The biggest issue with FF is clueless numpties who want everyone and anyone sacked at the drop of a hat. People who refuse to appreciate the difficulty of the challenges we face, accept the reality that we're trying to win the title with a huge financial disadvantage to our biggest rival who also have everything else rigged in their favour.

People performing mind-boggling mental gymnastics to avoid saying we've made progress when we have in almost every single aspect possible. Sure, we need trophies. They will come. Talk of sacking the manager at this stage? Mental beyond tablets.

And don't forget there was thread after thread calling for his head after the Aberdeen semi last season. Now tell me again with a straight face these people don't enjoy it.

We need multiple options in style, more creativity in midfield, more goals from those supporting the lone striker, and several players of higher quality for the first XI.

Right now these would be my only guaranteed starters and Morelos only in there if his head is on right:
McGregor
X X Helander Barisic
X Jack X
X Morelos X

Xs are spots to be earned/bought for, in case of smart-arsed comments. I haven’t written off Aribo, Kamara or Kent but their consistency is not good enough. I think we should cash in on Tavernier and Goldson while we can. Too many mistakes in both of them.
That’s a lot of money required to fix that.

It would be no surprise to me if Gerrard never wins us the title.
Some of our European football has been outstanding , unfortunately when we play in the Scottish premiership we are playing against limited footballers who are very physical.

Players like Ojo have been the norm the last few years under different managers. We need more stuart mcall and less Ejaria.

I believe Shagger and Kent kept SG in his job after the Ross County match. A goalless draw in Dingwall and he'd be down the road back to Merseyside before all this Corona really kicked off. His two nr 10s tactics looks great in Europe where we're given more room, but silly and stubborn up against parked buses at Tynecastle, Rugby Park etc. A squad imploding after three weeks off in the Dubai sun two seasons in a row doesn't fill me with a lot of joy either.

Yes, the team has progressed, but not enough for us to put our blind faith in the gaffer.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
Has my 100% backing and I feel still the best man right now for the job.

The biggest issue with FF is clueless numpties who want everyone and anyone sacked at the drop of a hat. People who refuse to appreciate the difficulty of the challenges we face, accept the reality that we're trying to win the title with a huge financial disadvantage to our biggest rival who also have everything else rigged in their favour.

People performing mind-boggling mental gymnastics to avoid saying we've made progress when we have in almost every single aspect possible. Sure, we need trophies. They will come. Talk of sacking the manager at this stage? Mental beyond tablets.

And don't forget there was thread after thread calling for his head after the Aberdeen semi last season. Now tell me again with a straight face these people don't enjoy it.

Wanting to replace a manager after 2 seasons isnt at the drop of a hat though.

I recognise we've made progress under Gerrard but its progression from rock bottom.. there was only one way we could go with the backing the board gave him.

Personally I dont believe we've seen a good return on the money invested in this squad over the last 2 seasons.. I also don't believe Gerrards getting the best out of a number of players.

The manager has been roundly praised for our european performances and rightly so.. hes also received criticism for our domestic performances and again rightly so. That's the way football works!

FF was full of optimism at the start of this season and fully behind the manager, including myself so it's unfair to say genuine fans are wanting him to fail.

Are you kidding? There are guys on here (and no doubt on this very thread but they're all on ignore) who are frothing at the gash in anticipation for the next dropped point so they can smugly proclaim they were right along. They can't wait. You need to remember that a lot of people on the forum don't support Rangers the way most of us do. They get their kicks out of firing the boot in to our players/manager online. If you don't believe me just wait to you see the glee from them when it happens. Utter weirdos.

That's bullshit. I don't know a single Rangers supporter that takes any glee from dropped points.

Made up bullshit when you don't agree with an opinion and can't accept constructive criticism.

It's no surprise that the ones (not saying you) offended usually answers with mentally challenged, panty wetter, bullshit etc instead of having an adult discussion/debate, when they see the manager or a players negative areas brought up and discussed.

Two seasons, no trophies, continuing to make the same mistakes, the same errors, the same stubborn set up. Players bottle and mentality questioned once again. Another season where we collapsed whilst both the manager and players have no answers what so ever. No title fight and an absolute walk in the park for the bheggars whilst we squabble amongst ourselves.

Aye great, I'm sure Rangers supporters are delighted with that.

I've posted on here in its various guises for 18 years now. I'm fairly comfortable in my assessment of how it works. If people disagree that's fine. The only engagement some people seem to have with Rangers is watching them on sky sports and calling for the manager to be sacked whoever that may be at the time.

I also sit next to guys at the ground who barely get out of their fucking seat when we score. We have an utterly toxic element in the support. Demand, demand, demand. "Ahh, this is shite get that cnut sacked".

Nobody is against constructive criticism. But more often than not it quickly descends into the usual "shitebag" "coward" "sack the lot of them". Before you know it a player has a reputation for being a shitebag.

Brilliant post mate, this needs to be long term to work

Honeymoon over for Gerrard. We did improve this year but it was marginal. Our style of play isn't great and the players dont seem motivated for every game. The buck stops with Gerrard. he has been there long enough and made enough signings. We have made progress off the pitch but not really on it. I hope he understands he cant let 10 iar happen. Period.

Progress domestically for Rangers is silverware, therefore we have flopped spectacularly on that front.

It’s almost as if there isn’t a manager in world football who could do a better job than Gerrard, someone who is now approaching his 3rd season without a trophy.

Making it black and white like that is absurd. People lose their shit when you say it, but it needs to be considered where we were before Gerrard came in. We were a million miles away from a trophy, now we’re within touching distance.

It would be monumentally fucking stupid to blow it all up simply because some people are too pig headed to understand that trophies aren’t the only measure of progress.

Cheery old thread, boils down to the usual moans despite the fact we haven’t had a game in two months. Next will be one slagging off Goldson and Tav (oh, we had those yesterday)

The list of players just released by the club to the media is a positive as we look to move forward. No more time for sentiments, we need a squad capable of winning titles and trophies.

Gerrard could easily have given both Flanagan and Halliday new contracts and kept them on as squad fillers. Thankfully he's seen past squad fillers/good around the dressing room and been ruthless.

Hopefully he is every bit as ruthless when it comes to dealing with some first team regulars. I'll start with the captain.

Making it black and white like that is absurd. People lose their shit when you say it, but it needs to be considered where we were before Gerrard came in. We were a million miles away from a trophy, now we’re within touching distance.

It would be monumentally fucking stupid to blow it all up simply because some people are too pig headed to understand that trophies aren’t the only measure of progress.

Guys like yourself will still be remembering where we were in 10 years time, it’s preposterous and has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the manager overseeing a monumental collapse since the turn of the year.

I've posted on here in its various guises for 18 years now. I'm fairly comfortable in my assessment of how it works. If people disagree that's fine. The only engagement some people seem to have with Rangers is watching them on sky sports and calling for the manager to be sacked whoever that may be at the time.

I also sit next to guys at the ground who barely get out of their fucking seat when we score. We have an utterly toxic element in the support. Demand, demand, demand. "Ahh, this is shite get that cnut sacked".

Nobody is against constructive criticism. But more often than not it quickly descends into the usual "shitebag" "coward" "sack the lot of them". Before you know it a player has a reputation for being a shitebag.

Post of the thread mate. Bang on.

Guys like yourself will still be remembering where we were in 10 years time, it’s preposterous and has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the manager overseeing a monumental collapse since the turn of the year.

And guys like you would be sacking managers every season and then questioning why we were constantly making zero progress, if you got your way. Brain dead.

Anyone who thinks where we were is an irrelevance, is either trolling or thick. It’s literally the best way to measure progress.

And guys like you would be sacking managers every season and then questioning why we were constantly making zero progress, if you got your way. Brain dead.

Anyone who thinks where we were is an irrelevance, is either trolling or thick. It’s literally the best way to measure progress.

Should we have kept Pedro and let him build on his squad? Or Murty?

no one is suggesting sacking managers every season and the point still stands, Gerrard could have 5 trophy less seasons and you would still be harking back to where we were and saying things like it wasn’t so long ago we were losing to Annan Athletic and all that bullshit.

Tell me what relevance our time in the lower leagues has to losing to the bottom clubs twice in a few weeks, and our season falling apart?

I’d counter that with the equally as big issue of people who think he can do no wrong because of who he is, or people who think it’s Gerrard or nothing - both points of view are equally as insane as anyone who wants him sacked at this very point in time.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. He’s made a lot of mistakes, he was continuing making them up until recently and he deserves criticism for that. However, he has improved us enough for a shot at next year and being realistic, it’s insanity to say ‘league or sack him’ given how far ahead Celtic are in squad development and finances.

I'm genuinely concerned. We need to be solid throughout, cup runs and great one off matches is no good.
Two things for me are
*If things aren't going to plan and we fall behind in the league, how long do we let it go before making a change?
*seeing players being released today, as much as we need to strengthen some positions, we can't afford to flood the squad with more new players and try bed them in, expecting it all to fit in a matter of months.

Outwith that, I do think we should concentrate solely on the league, not Europe or domestic cup, league is all that matters

Once It looks like the new season is going ahead, they will spend millions getting players in that will see them over the line to get 10. He will need to recruit wisely, and have a massive upturn in results very quickly, or he will walk.

no one is suggesting sacking managers every season and the point still stands, Gerrard could have 5 trophy less seasons and you would still be harking back to where we were and saying things like it wasn’t so long ago we were losing to Annan Athletic and all that bullshit.

Tell me what relevance our time in the lower leagues has to losing to the bottom clubs twice in a few weeks, and our season falling apart?

Because the squad and the Club was pillaged. We were hamstrung by crooks and their deals, the last of which we appear to have removed in the past couple of weeks.

The lack of income worked against us when appointing managers and signing players. Our squad lacks ability which is dictated to by finances - which have been determined by the last decade.

I accept that some may dwell a little too much on the past. But I find it mind-boggling when others appear to dismiss it.

I think now we're in a position of 'no excuses' for the coming season.

The whole 'he gets away with it because he's Steven Gerrard' line is a lot of rubbish. There's no demands on the players to win things anymore that's why it's different.

The whole 'he gets away with it because he's Steven Gerrard' line is a lot of rubbish. There's no demands on the players to win things anymore that's why it's different.

You can’t deny it though. If he wasn’t called Steven Gerrard, he’d lose backing.

His name and reputation counts for a lot in some fans’ eyes.

Because the squad and the Club was pillaged. We were hamstrung by crooks and their deals, the last of which we appear to have removed in the past couple of weeks.

The lack of income worked against us when appointing managers and signing players. Our squad lacks ability which is dictated to by finances - which have been determined by the last decade.

I accept that some may dwell a little too much on the past. But I find it mind-boggling when others appear to dismiss it.

I think now we're in a position of 'no excuses' for the coming season.

We could realistically not win the title and still have no ‘excuses’ though, which is something people might have to prepare themselves for.

Last edited:
I disagree I've not seen any evidence of that at all.

Why do you think that?

More than one reply on this thread suggesting that if Gerrard can’t topple the papes, then no one can - which is an extraordinary thing to say, and wouldn’t be said about a manager with the same ability but a less well-known name.

Back