Club Statement

Can’t get me head round how daft people are that would think Castore wouldn’t sell strips to the biggest sports retailer in the UK.

I’ve read folk saying ‘oh well Adidas have pulled back from them’, aye, maybe they can but Castore are just starting out and people are doolally if they think they will cut off all ties with SD on Rangers behalf, they want to make it in football and take on the bigger brands, you don’t do that by cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There’s actually people who seem to think this was common perception and that anyone saying they expected Castore to be dealing with all the major retailers are liars. The mind boggles. Meanwhile back in the real world...

Can’t get me head round how daft people are that would think Castore wouldn’t sell strips to the biggest sports retailer in the UK.

I’ve read folk saying ‘oh well Adidas have pulled back from them’, aye, maybe they can but Castore are just starting out and people are doolally if they think they will cut off all ties with SD on Rangers behalf, they want to make it in football and take on the bigger brands, you don’t do that by cutting off your nose to spite your face.

People are somehow forgetting Castore are a business. Cutting off SD would be rather naive on their part - especially when they're looking to partner with more teams in the Premiership etc.

So we're still dealing indirectly with Sports Direct, who will also benefit from selling our tops (which they will, not everyone will get direct from Castore). That wasn't the narrative presented to us before the launch.

Exactly

sooner sports direct explodes the better

Personally I wouldn’t ever set foot in a sports direct store ever again nor visit their website.....I’d hope the vast majority of Rangers supporters also feel the same way. Buy direct from Castore or from the Rangers Store at Ibrox when it reopens......it’s that simple. Hopefully JD sports also go on to sell it too.

I don't understand why the club cant just come out and say, "we have no further connection with SD".

For some reason they have avoided doing this. We know we are in a partnership with Castore, but that doesnt mean we dont also have an ongoing deal with Ashley as well. Why on earth would Rangers (or Castore for that matter) want SD stocking the kit? I thought part of this deal with Castore was about expanding online retail and opening a small number of stores?

If SD can offer the kit as well, they will likely sell it cheaper which means a lot of people will buy it there regardless, benefitting Ashley. Whereas, if you can only buy it through Rangers or Castore the profit is higher. It feels like we've been a little bit misled.

They couldn't have been any clearer that we have no further connection with SD. They've not misled anyone, you would be stupid to think it would only be on sale through Rangers or Castore. It was obviously going to be in other sports shops.

We were told we have a clean slate, we do. The only merchandising deal we have is with Castore. Any kit purchased and resold by Sports Direct will be done the same method any other retailer would, it is nothing to do with us.

We could block them selling the kit, which would minimise our kit sales and ultimately that would harm us more than them, especially if we purchase direct.

Take your point and understand however imo stopping them from selling anything to do with our club would not harm us. It send out a clear message for our support to buy direct and use other retailers.

The question everyone needs to be honest and asked did we think our strips would ever be sold in SD again and I honestly don't think anyone would have thought this would have happened.

It morally does not sit well with me after all the nonsense we have had to put up with.

Castore is a brand new opportunity they should be thinking outside the box.

Exactly, all these panty wetter comments are out of order, have they been living in a different world over the last 7 or 8 years?
We have been stiffed by SD before, no wonder there was a reaction.
Give it a rest with the panty wetters patter, its embarresing..

If I was Castore I’d make sure they get paid up front from SD as you can never trust Mike Ashley.

It’s just a moral decision for a rangers fan to buy a strip from SD or not.

the way I read it....

Rangers won’t lose out if you buy from SD. But Ashley will obviously gain.

I really hope all days with cracking announcements don't end up like this.

No surprise Sports Direct chose to do this today, they really are a disgusting outfit led by a disgusting slug. To them this will feel like job done, they've wound up Rangers fans.

In about a years time, with the mess high street retail is in, Ashley and Co will be regretting ever alienating the Rangers support. I've no doubts about it.

I think slandering your club is out of order, and I don’t think there’s any justification for it.
Wow thats a reach, slander, really?
Think there was a reaction built on 7 or 8 years of past dealings with SD, that's what caused the reaction.

As frustrating as it is, Castore can't turn their back on a working relationship with Sports Direct if they're planning on making other teams kits in future.
The majority of fans will know by now to not step foot in SD stores again.

As castore said in their interviews with H&H and Four lads, we sold more shirts than any other team in Britain in the 90s, to get close to that again we would need maximum exposure. SD must be the biggest sports chain down south so it makes sense. Anyone buying from them in Scotland is off their nut, but we will make money from them from the sales in England.

So what's the 'exclusive' shîte SportsDirect were talking about? Just a lie?
I think SD must have been mentioned more than 1000 times in that thread. You can't get a better advert than that. Tomorrow in the media it will be "Rangers supporters fuming at Sports Direct advert" and they will be getting more free advertising space in every paper in the country. Well worth a small piece of devious work.

Happy and relived with that statement. I’d imagine it would have been difficult for the club to organise a new kit deal if we were dictating which organisations the manufacturer could sell to.

Given what we’ve been through especially where that fat bastard is concerned I completely understand the hysterics. Feel slightly for the club and Castore in what should have been such a positive PR day slightly ruined ( for a couple of hours anyway ). Everything with us is going to come under scrutiny and over reaction from the fans and rightly so IMO.

I really hope all days with cracking announcements don't end up like this.

No surprise Sports Direct chose to do this today, they really are a disgusting outfit led by a disgusting slug. To them this will feel like job done, they've wound up Rangers fans.

In about a years time, with the mess high street retail is in, Ashley and Co will be regretting ever alienating the Rangers support. I've no doubts about it.

Agreed mate,especially your last paragraph.100% on the money.

But we are still dealing with SD in some way.. i dont get it.giving them shirts to sell but basically saying dont buy from SD.. i dont care the ins and outs.. i dont want sd making 1 penny from us...so I'll say it again.. its not a new era that fat slug and his jumble sale are still hanging on. Making some money from us... like it or not we will still have fans who will use SD..

I dont know how much more it can be explained.
The club and us as fans should be looking at the bigger picture of how to maximise revenue for club and Castore.

What are you rabbling about man? You‘d need to be as thick as pigshit if you thought retailers wouldn’t sell Rangers strips, nothing wiggly about common sense.
It was all pushed as if it wouldn't be in SD stores. The line from the club, Castore, fan media etc about absolutely nothing to do with SD, no association whatsoever. They even had bits like this on the Rangers website:

"The company operates a digital, direct-to-consumer business model that has allowed it to grow extremely rapidly since launch and avoid the much-publicised challenges of many traditional bricks and mortar brands and now sells into 64 countries globally."

Everything has pointed away from what we've learned today. But I suppose it is indeed down to how naive and loyal we can be when it comes to our club. Should have expected nothing less.

Unfortunately, SD will make money by selling our jerseys, that's just a fact.
Yeah but the key is we will make plenty from selling to him, a lot more than what we would from a deal with them.
What was it we were getting agin at one point 5p in a pound?
That would have worked out about £3
I would wager the fat bastard is paying at least 10 times that for a top now

We are castore first football team, they have openly said they want to have more eventually. As much as we hate SD, castore need them if they want to make a success out of football branding. They wont be stocking general castore stuff but just football tops. Think of macron, the scotland rugby kit is on sale but not general macron stock.

Man utd, chelsea, arsenal, barca etc etc all have shirts on sale there, doesnt mean SD dictate terms to they clubs. They sell equipment and that's it.

If you dont want to buy from SD then there are plenty options, i hope majority of fans buy straight from club but for 'new' fans,maybe down south, they get the chance to see our strips once more and possibly start a liking for rangers.

The Rangers store at Ibrox will stock it, as will other retail outlets

Ashley was shit stirring with his exclusive comment
Is the store due to be open on August 1st?

Hopefully it will be available on places like kitbag sports and so on come release. The sad bit will be for places like Belfast if sports direct is the only place to go to get it on August 1st there will be people that will go there and buy it regardless

Take your point and understand however imo stopping them from selling anything to do with our club would not harm us. It send out a clear message for our support to buy direct and use other retailers.

The question everyone needs to be honest and asked did we think our strips would ever be sold in SD again and I honestly don't think anyone would have thought this would have happened.

It morally does not sit well with me after all the nonsense we have had to put up with.

Castore is a brand new opportunity they should be thinking outside the box.
The message is already out though, everyone knows we don't want to deal with SD again. But by blocking them purchasing stock, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot financially. If we have absolutely no dealings with them whatsoever and still make money out of it, I don't think there is too much to moan about.

SD will be picking up wholesale stock at £35-£40 CPU. Any suggestions they’re trying to undercut us is daft. They will be selling them at full retail price in the hopes to get sales in England from neutrals. They know full well they’ll get little sales in Scotland. In any case, they’ve still purchased the stock and we benefit. Regardless of how horrible it is to see that name associated with us after everything.

Get the message out to your Sister, Auntie, Granny etc or whoever buys you some Rangers Gear for Xmas/Birthday to avoid Fat Mike's.

Surely one of the most mental (menstrual?) threads ever? Our retail partner is selling some tops in the UKs largest sports chain. Yes we all hate SD, but business is business and we don’t risk a penny, indeed will make money. You’d think Ashley had got a seat on the board reading some of these posts.

It was all pushed as if it wouldn't be in SD stores. The line from the club, Castore, fan media etc about absolutely nothing to do with SD, no association whatsoever. They even had bits like this on the Rangers website:

"The company operates a digital, direct-to-consumer business model that has allowed it to grow extremely rapidly since launch and avoid the much-publicised challenges of many traditional bricks and mortar brands and now sells into 64 countries globally."

Everything has pointed away from what we've learned today. But I suppose it is indeed down to how naive and loyal we can be when it comes to our club. Should have expected nothing less.

I think the difference between what you say and what the club has said is that Sports Direct doesn't control our retail operations anymore. Castore do.

Aye I'm the naive one because I expected sports shops to sell a Rangers kit.

We are castore first football team, they have openly said they want to have more eventually. As much as we hate SD, castore need them if they want to make a success out of football branding. They wont be stocking general castore stuff but just football tops. Think of macron, the scotland rugby kit is on sale but not general macron stock.

Man utd, chelsea, arsenal, barca etc etc all have shirts on sale there, doesnt mean SD dictate terms to they clubs. They sell equipment and that's it.

If you dont want to buy from SD then there are plenty options, i hope majority of fans buy straight from club but for 'new' fans,maybe down south, they get the chance to see our strips once more and possibly start a liking for Rangers.
Logic. It’s great isn’t it? :))

Aye I'm the naive one because I expected sports shops to sell a Rangers kit.
No, you're the switched on thinker mate.

Its the rest of us idiots that are naive enough to think that when we're told there will be "no association with SD", we believe it.

Its the rest of us idiots that are naive enough to think that when we're told there will be "no association with SD", we believe it.

Did they ever say that quote?

Sorry that’s absolute drivel. You don’t have to be on social media to know the background between us and fat Mike. If you are not aware of it I’d suggest you’re not a huge fan of the club and may buy the odd jersey but that’s it. How many foreigners are we getting in Sports Direct buying up Rangers strips? I’d say a very very small number. Mums who don’t like buying strips but go to Sports Direct to buy them? People just creating ridiculous scenarios to get upset about.
There's people use sports direct because it's cheaper, I'm not talking about football kits here.

Yes, I agree it's like a jumble sale in their shops, but if it costs half the price to buy certain Adidas trainers, then can you blame people who dont have a lot to budget with.

Contrary to popular belief on here, being out of work doesnt give you a lot of money to play with, it helps you get by, much the same as people who earn minimum wage.

Yes you are naive if you think whoever supplies Rangers kit, be it Castore, Adidas or fucking Gola wouldn’t sell to third parties.

Back