The Aulde Enemy - England

NotOffside

Guardiola said while being asked about Foden after the game this evening " I don't want to say anything wrong, but Gareth Southgate has incredible talent for the national team in his hands..."

I think some people are still unwilling to give England the credit they deserve for having some fantastic talent coming through right now. Seems to be an easy thing for some to call all English players over-rated. Of course, some of their players have been and are over-rated but isn't that the same for every nation?

Personally I think Guardiola is spot on. When you think about Foden, who looked every bit as City player already this evening, and then the likes of Greenwood who looks a serious talent, Sancho who looks like a future star and Saka who looks a big talent for Arsenal, and add to that Alexander-Arnold, Rashford and Sterling then I don't think anyone can genuinely say that don't have a very promising and exciting side. They might not win anything as there's a few other Nations with a lot of good young talent, but there's a reason their youth teams were winning competitions and tournaments a couple of years back, and they look like a very good side in the making.

We hear this every single year about England. It’s been a common theme since I was a wean and they always prove to be overhyped. There’s always a determination to heap pressure on young English lads right away if they start off well, that and hyping them up to levels above their true ability.

Last edited:
They had Rooney Gerrard Scholes Cole Ferdinand Lampard Terry Campbell Carrick
Owen etc at one point together
For me Portugal and France are producing players of a far higher standard just now at the younger age groups

France probably have better options for CB at U20 level than England’s first team

Sancho and TAA are the only two who’ve proved it consistently at a high level

We hear this every single year about England. It’s been a common theme since I was a wean and they always prove to be overhyped. There’s always a determination to heap pressure on young English lads right away if they start off well, that and hyping them up to levels above their true ability.

So you're one of those I mentioned that won't give any credit where it's possibly due then basically. England aren't the only nation to have some over-hyped players.

They had Rooney Gerrard Scholes Cole Ferdinand Lampard Terry Campbell Carrick
Owen etc at one point together
For me Portugal and France are producing players of a far higher standard just now at the younger age groups

France probably have better options for CB at U20 level than England’s first team

Sancho and TAA are the only two who’ve proved it consistently at a high level

Can't agree with any of that really but each to their own. It's pretty clear to me that they (England) have a bunch of young players right now that could be considered as the most promising around, regardless of what France, Portugal or other nations might have.

Think they have a squad with a lot of depth and probably best they've had in the past 10 years, certainly since the 'golden generation' passed. With that said, think they are still a bit short in a couple of key areas, namely central midfield and central defence, especially when compared to the top nations like France/Germany/Spain. The World Cup run will have been of great benefit to them though - even if they didn't have the hardest run, and arguably blew the chance to reach a final, you would imagine it bred a winning mentality among the squad. Time is on their side though, especially with players like Foden/Saka/TAA still nowhere near their prime.

Theres something different about this squad. Much more professional young players than they've ever had.

There was always a lads culture with past squads. Scotland were the same, booze ups were never far away.

They have players who are now as fit and healthy as the foreign players. The difference is england has quality players and Scotland is producing garbage. Although, they seem to be getting not a bad midfield area together, the problem is with the rest, apart from robertson.

I think the one extra year for the Euro's will be a good thing for them and I give them a genuine shot at winning it, even if they're not among the top two or three favourites. I think they'll be a side that on their day can put three or four past any side in the world if it clicks. Teams generally don't like to play against pace and they have it in abundance. But on the flip side they will certainly be a better team going forward than defending with the players they have, and could obviously come unstuck at some point against the best sides.

But in the future, an attacking line up including Foden, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford and Greenwood gives them a genuine chance against anybody.

Last edited:
I think the one extra year for the Euro's will be a good thing for them and I give them a genuine shot at winning it, even if they're not among the top two or three favourites. I think they'll be a side that on their day can put three or four past any side in the world if it clicks. Teams generally don't like to play against pace and they have it in abundance. But on the flip side they will certainly be a better team going forward than defending with the players they have, and could obviously come unstuck at some point against the best sides. But in the future, an attacking line up including Foden, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford and Greenwood gives them a genuine chance against anybody.

They are favourites @11/2

Prob more Cos of the added advantage of semis and finals at Wembley . They have a right good chance however I wouldn’t say they were favs if those games were being held elsewhere

France would be about 5/2 if they had England’s group, home advantage for 5 matches and England’s overall draw.

England really need France to win their group, I think Dublin v Germany would see England favs and through but not against France, be a struggle that.

So you're one of those I mentioned that won't give any credit where it's possibly due then basically. England aren't the only nation to have some over-hyped players.

No. I’m one of those who doesn’t believe in a giant wankathon for England’s players before they’ve actually achieved anything. It’s not uncommon for people to buy into the hype prematurely though so you’re certainly not alone. As someone else said above, this must be the golden generation Mk 8 by now.

Prob more Cos of the added advantage of semis and finals at Wembley . They have a right good chance however I wouldn’t say they were favs if those games were being held elsewhere

They shouldn't be favourites. Even with potential home advantage. But they should be considered dark horses for sure.

No. I’m one of those who doesn’t believe in a giant wankathon for England’s players before they’ve actually achieved anything. It’s not uncommon for people to buy into the hype prematurely though so you’re certainly not alone. As someone else said above, this must be the golden generation Mk 8 by now.

Maybe it would be easier for you to stop thinking about the past then and basing your opinion on that. Guardiola can see it but you can't, or maybe it's not that you can't, you just don't want to. There's a big difference.

Harry Maguire is an Eengland first choice centre half. They'll win %^*& all

Wales made a Euro semi-final not so long ago beating Belgium along the way with Chris Gunter and Ashley Williams in defence... Maguire is closer to average than world-class, but won't be a reason why England don't win something.

They shouldn't be favourites. Even with potential home advantage. But they should be considered dark horses for sure.

Maybe it would be easier for you to stop thinking about the past then and basing your opinion on that. Guardiola can see it but you can't, or maybe it's not that you can't, you just don't want to. There's a big difference.

Meanwhile you’re focussed on something that hasn’t actually happened yet, it’s hard not to focus on the past when it repeats itself time and again. Also worth remembering some of those young players are Guardiola’s, so of course he’s going to talk them up isn’t he, and I do think Guardiola has been good for England - he’s improved Sterling big time. Add to that Guardiola isn’t infallible, he’s just lost the league by a landslide and still sees fit to select players like Otamendi.

But another golden generation that are on the cusp of something special? Yeah I don’t think so, because I’ve heard it all and seen it all before, several times. Don’t know how old you are mate but this has been a regular theme for decades now.

Meanwhile you’re focussed on something that hasn’t actually happened yet, it’s hard not to focus on the past when it repeats itself time and again. Also worth remembering some of those young players are Guardiola’s, so of course he’s going to talk them up isn’t he, and I do think Guardiola has been good for England - he’s improved Sterling big time.

But another golden generation that are on the cusp of something special? Yeah I don’t think so, because I’ve heard it all and seen it all before, several times. Don’t know how old you are mate but this has been a regular theme for decades now.

Who has said they are on the verge of something special? Not me. Simply making the point that they have a lot of extremely talented young players right now and could potentially make some noise in the future. You can try to argue the toss that they don't if you like, but I think even you know you would be talking bollocks if you tried to do that.

And Guardiola only has Foden and Sterling really. Stones is now well down the pecking order and Walker is probably their fifth choice right-back now after Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Trippier and James.

Take great pleasure in watching them make a lady's front bottom of it every time a major tournament comes around. You’d think they won the most recent Euros the way they go on about it, they’re very east end of Glasgow that way

Who has said they are on the verge of something special? Not me. Simply making the point that they have a lot of extremely talented young players right now and could potentially make some noise in the future. You can try to argue the toss that they don't if you like, but I think even you know you would be talking bollocks if you tried to do that.

And Guardiola only has Foden and Sterling really. Stones is now well down the pecking order and Walker is probably their fifth choice right-back now after Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Trippier and James.

Again, heard it all before many a time.

Again, heard it all before many a time.

Heard what? That they had talented players? Years ago they had some of the best players in the world in a lot of positions. So it's not like people were making things up even if their national team didn't win anything. Or did you not rate Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney etc etc?

Take great pleasure in watching them make a lady's front bottom of it every time a major tournament comes around. You’d think they won the most recent Euros the way they go on about it, they’re very east end of Glasgow that way

A World Cup semi-final is hardly something they should be ashamed about regardless of who they played.

Last edited:
A World Cup semi-final is hardly something they should be ashamed about regardless of who they played. Swear some people here need to go easy on the old whisky.
Not that it’s anything to be ashamed of. The way they go on about a tournament in which they had very very favourable draws the full time they were in it though is embarrassing

Not that it’s anything to be ashamed of. The way they go on about a tournament in which they had very very favourable draws the full time they were in it though is embarrassing

Not embarrassing at all. God forbid a nation of people getting excited about doing well in a tournament. I suppose you think that they shouldn't have celebrated their first penalty shootout win in God knows how many years, just because it was against Colombia?

Not embarrassing at all. God forbid a nation of people getting excited about doing well in a tournament. I suppose you think that they shouldn't have celebrated their first penalty shootout win in God knows how many years, just because it was against Colombia?
They literally didn’t win a single game in 90 mins against a good side in the full tournament. A team of players like England have should be able to compete with the top nations and they didn’t, the best team they beat in it was Sweden, hardly a top team. Penalty shootouts are a lottery

They literally didn’t win a single game in 90 mins against a good side in the full tournament. A team of players like England have should be able to compete with the top nations and they didn’t, the best team they beat in it was Sweden, hardly a top team. Penalty shootouts are a lottery

They hadn't beat Sweden in a competitive game for a long time. Should have been out of sight against Croatia at half time in the semis. Clearly they made a lot of progress in that tournament no matter how much you try your best to discredit it.

They hadn't beat Sweden in a competitive game for a long time. Should have been out of sight against Croatia at half time in the semis. Clearly they made a lot of progress in that tournament no matter how much you try your best to discredit it.
You can paint it any way you like mate, facts are they never beat Croatia regardless of how “out of sight” they were they fcked it as they typically do, beat twice off Belgium without scoring, won on penalties and beat a very average Sweden side. They couldn’t have had an easier run at it and every time they came up against a proper side they shat the bed

The next golden generation :))

Genuinely seems to be a very good crop of players atm and coming through but other countries do have better. Hopefully this time the hype can be reached and it’ll be a successful Euros and eventually World Cup.

Can't agree with any of that really but each to their own. It's pretty clear to me that they (England) have a bunch of young players right now that could be considered as the most promising around, regardless of what France, Portugal or other nations might have.
That doesn’t make any sense

You can’t just disregard other teams when we’re specifically talking about who has the most talent

Let me guess, you only watch English football outside of the Gers

That doesn’t make any sense

You can’t just disregard other teams when we’re specifically talking about who has the most talent

Let me guess, you only watch English football outside of the Gers

I was making the point that you can't disregard what talent England have just because of what a few other Nations have. So actually you're agreeing with my original point.

I was making the point that you can't disregard what talent England have just because of what a few other Nations have. So actually you're agreeing with my original point.
No I’m not

In comparison to France and Portugal, England don’t have the most talented crop youngsters
You just have to have watched even a slither of European football to see how much talent other countries have

France alone have Aouar Upamecano Saliba Kouassi Konate Nkunku Mejbri Soumare Cherki N’Dicka Thuram Diaby

That’s not even including Mbappe Dembele Pavard Lucas Varane Pogba who all have a World Cup to their name and will be around for a few more tournaments yet

No I’m not

In comparison to France and Portugal, England don’t have the most talented crop youngsters
You just have to have watched even a slither of European football to see how much talent other countries have

France alone have Aouar Upamecano Saliba Kouassi Konate Nkunku Mejbri Soumare Cherki N’Dicka Thuram Diaby

That’s not even including Mbappe Dembele Pavard Lucas Varane Pogba who all have a World Cup to their name and will be around for a few more tournaments yet

You’ve named two countries. So I’ll stand by my original point that I can be big enough to admit that England have some of the most talented young players around right now.

I really have no idea why you decided to note half of the French squad. I never said England were better than France or are likely to be better than France.

Some players are hugely overrated just because they are English. Yes they have a good team but not the best young talent in the world.

You’ve named two countries. So I’ll stand by my original point that I can be big enough to admit that England have some of the most talented young players around right now.

You said they had a young squad that should be considered the best on the planet

They shouldn’t and they aren’t for a reason

You said they had a young squad that should be considered the best on the planet

They shouldn’t and they aren’t for a reason

Clearly you’re making things up to suit your argument. Literally the worst kind of people on any forum.

Some players are hugely overrated just because they are English. Yes they have a good team but not the best young talent in the world.

If you don't consider Alexander-Arnold, Sancho, Greenwood and Foden as among the most talented young players right now then either your dislike for England is having too much of an influence on your opinion or you don’t watch football outside of Scotland.

I really have no idea why you decided to note half of the French squad. I never said England were better than France or are likely to be better than France.

Big enough to admit? You say that as though you’re not some giant England fan with a hard-on for their players.

Foden has a good game against a Liverpool team that’s downed tools and all of sudden footballs coming home, again...

Foden has a good game against a Liverpool team that’s downed tools and all of sudden footballs coming home, again...

He’s had a couple of cracking games now to be fair, but truth is prior to that and when the heat was on he did look out of place in that side. That’s English football is a nutshell though isn’t it, a few good games and you’re on the road to superstardom and the ballon d’or.

Back