Eduard v Alfie - price tag

Edouard is the better all round player in my opinion.
Better technical ability yes. Suppose though it depends on what you are looking for in a player. For example I think Edouard would really suit a team like arsenal whereas Alfredo would more suit a team like Chelsea or united. (And I'm not saying he walks into any of those teams by the way )

I'll say this, I'd much rather face a Tim team with Edouard, than a Tim team with Morelos. He's easier to handle if our team's set up right. Whereas Morelos is a constant pain in the backside for any defence.

Eduord is a great player no point pretending he isnt. He is very highly rated by the French and imo right now worth more money than Alfie. After Alfies brainfart at the piggery I would be a bit wary of spending too much on Alfie if I was interested in him. He has to complete a full season without making an arse of it. Right now Eduoard is worth more, its not even a debate imo.

Our own manager has even acknowledged his discipline issues.

The Scottish media don’t force him to kick out at opponents, sly stamps, kicks etc.

Well they do play their part when they make it headline news and completely ignore similar acts against the player himself. Was there ever really any mention of Lego raking his studs down Morelos’ achilles before he lifted his hands and got himself sent off? Or the various sly kicks and punches from opposition players throughout Scotland looking to provoke a reaction?

Nope, none at all. To read about it you’d have had to have come on this forum. Now Morelos isn’t blameless at all, he clearly has to learn to control his impulse and walk away, but the media are absolutely to blame for helping to encourage this sort of nonsense, they’re so one sided over it, it’s ridiculous and them and the officials/compliance officer all turning a blind eye to those provocations is a big part of what pours petrol on the fire and encourages players to chip away at him knowing full well they’ll get away with it and Alfie absolutely won’t should he retaliate.

Edouard is a great finisher, no doubt about that but he needs his midfield to do all the work and set him up for a reasonable chance of hitting the target and when they do it's clinical. Morelos will make his own scoring chances and set himself up. The main difference for me between the two is the size of the cojonas, ( balls). Alfredo is fearless, Edouard fearful.
As it stands the only thing that lot have is that Alfie hasn't scored against them. Once he has they'll shut up and the SMSM will bang an extra 10m on his price tag. I always stick a tenner on Alfie hitting a hattrick against them

you do know the Scottish papers don't you? they'd be more likely to go and find a personal story on his family than praise him

I feel Alfie is the sort of player that a lot of managers would love, fiery (just needs to control it) he can play a defence on his own which I don't think Edouard can do and he's a guy who will run for the team. There is obviously flaws but if you are a team who play one upfront, you'll definitely be thinking of him as an option because he can bring so much to a team and with the right training/management, he's got much more potential left in him

I personally think Eduoard is a better player and will go on to have a more successful career as in staunch as that makes me.

He changed the game when he came on against us and always looks calm and collective and there is never a danger of him losing the plot and getting a red card. Great technique as well.

They should be sold for roughly the same price but with him scoring against us, that lot getting more for their players and the fact a think he is slightly better is why a see them getting about 5 million more.

He scored 4 in 8 Europa league games and 2 in 6 champions league a quick search show and is being tipped as for the French national team.

Listening to Lafferty on Si Ferry it was interesting to hear him say he thinks Morelos struggles to play with someone up top. On his day he is outstanding and a think is more reliant on instinct than technique and his hold up play is great but he has let us down once too often.

Fact is tho if you state an opinion and say you rate Eduard better you're automatically regarded as one a them when the reality is you just dont have the blue tinted specs on and can have an opinion of your own.
The only thing is I wouldn't listen to a word lafftery says as he talks a lot of shite at times. Alfred can play with someone with him but it needs to be the type of player that complements him and doesn't run into the same spaces as him. Kamberi for example looked to link up well with him in the little game time they got together. As he's not a goalscorer but more of a link up striker

Media bigging up their players value any chance they get, their players have medals and they have also sold multiple players to the premier league for big fees. It's easier to get big fees for players when almost every year you're selling a players for more than the last. Wanyama, Forster, Van Dijk, Dembele and Tierney, the fees have gotten bigger almost every time for some of their best players. Meanwhile until Gerrard came in our team was filled with mostly pish who couldn't even finish 2nd in the league, it's no wonder our players value's are constantly undermined when the only decent fee we have gotten in almost a decade now was 2.5 million for Windass. If Morelos goes for 15-20 million it will be much easier to get a similar fee for the next star of the club, even more so if he's a success at his next club.

Neither player will go for £30m but I think both will leave Scotland at some point before the window shuts.

Transfer fees are also dependant on a few other factors like buy out clauses, length of contract etc.

I’d guess they’ll both go for roughly the same price give or take a million or two.
No doubt the comedians on PLZ will be saying that Rangers have to sell Morelos for whatever fee they are offered because Rangers are desperate and have no money

I'll say this, I'd much rather face a Tim team with Edouard, than a Tim team with Morelos. He's easier to handle if our team's set up right. Whereas Morelos is a constant pain in the backside for any defence.
I’d much rather face a tim team with him than Griffiths in all honesty.

Okay scrub those and focus on the the glut of goals against Porto, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Midtjylland and Legia Warsaw instead then. Home and away for all group games bar Feyenoord where he still bagged 2 away.
No denying he’s been superb in the group stages.

Edouard is the better finisher, and has more pace. Alfie works harder, can hold the ball up and can ragdoll a defence on his own - considerable assets. The only thing against Alfie is his disciplinary record, and that has been fine in Europe (mostly). Value wise, slight edge to Edouard.

I agree with Kyle Lafferty on striking partners; doesn’t seem to work well with Alfie, and I’m desperate for us to go with 2 strikers for most games.

Well they do play their part when they make it headline news and completely ignore similar acts against the player himself. Was there ever really any mention of Lego raking his studs down Morelos’ achilles before he lifted his hands and got himself sent off? Or the various sly kicks and punches from opposition players throughout Scotland looking to provoke a reaction?

Nope, none at all. To read about it you’d have had to have come on this forum. Now Morelos isn’t blameless at all, he clearly has to learn to control his impulse and walk away, but the media are absolutely to blame for helping to encourage this sort of nonsense, they’re so one sided over it, it’s ridiculous and them and the officials/compliance officer all turning a blind eye to those provocations is a big part of what pours petrol on the fire and encourages players to chip away at him knowing full well they’ll get away with it and Alfie absolutely won’t should he retaliate.

Whilst a lot of your points are valid, it still comes down to one simple thing

If Morelos doesn’t retaliate, he can’t get sent off. Simple as that.

Whenever a player has a sly rake at him or elbow etc, he just has to go down so that it is brought to the attention of the ref/compliance officer and it lets our management highlight it after a match if no action is taken by the ref

You can ignore the media on this. If someone wants to buy our Director of Football will not be reading the media during negotiations. What’s relevant is his goal scoring, his overall play, salary, potential and length of contract. I think personally Morelos has a lot more potential than Edouard. His discipline is a product of his own maturity and a biased group of officials. That will all be taken into account.

Edouard is a cooler finisher when he does score against SPL dross but Alfie has shot us into the last 16 of Europa whereas Edouard did virtually nothing and Celtic were papped out by Copenhagen and some Romanian outfit. They did beat a Lazio team but nothing Edouard did was better than Alfie against Warsaw, Feynoord, Basel and Porto.
Keith Jackson and Bill Leakie and the BBC crew have never negotiated anything in their lives and no feck all about football.

We've all watched Alfie in the league and Europe and he has been unplayable at times. He basically got us to the Europa then excelled when we got there. 30 goals before Xmas is effin tremendous. The guy is absolutely brilliant.

Eduoard is as well to be fair. Both are very, very good with very little between them. In the last Old Firm before the break not a person on this earth would watch that game and picked Eduaord over Alfie, his form was patchy in the first months of the season.

Eduoard hit form after the break whereas Alfie struggled. This is all people seem to focus on though. I seen a comment recently that said the average football fan has the memory of a goldfish, which is so accurate.

Loads of people on here, and he has been getting slaughtered on here, have been so quick to downplay how good Alfie is because of his form after the break without remembering how good he actually is and the fact us fans look to him to win basically every game we play.

Half a season is no use to no one.

Whilst a lot of your points are valid, it still comes down to one simple thing

If Morelos doesn’t retaliate, he can’t get sent off. Simple as that.

Whenever a player has a sly rake at him or elbow etc, he just has to go down so that it is brought to the attention of the ref/compliance officer and it lets our management highlight it after a match if no action is taken by the ref

Yeah that’s true but the root cause of it is that the provocations go unpunished and I discussed, if the media and the officials and the compliance officer do their job the offending players pick up suspensions and arseholes like Brown no longer feel they can take cheap digs at him, and therefore Morelos doesn’t lose the head and end up with suspensions. But the polar opposite is true, nothing happens and they all get away with it.

Good luck with the last bit though, the club and staff haven’t done anywhere near enough defending our players and challenging some of the injustices we’ve been on the receiving end of.

Trying to be impartial (not easy) -
& if I were say a mid-table EPl club fan assessing how either of them may improve my teams chances of success - while ignoring all the disciplinary, personality, value hype issues - such as scoring in Europe against each other or refs bias -

& judged solely on what either of them would bring to the team - I'd still go for Alfie-
- imo he's got more in his repertoire -
- he's capable of tying defenders in knots & is so awkward for defenders to play against - he sets up others even when not scoring
He's more robust than Eduard imo & if truth be told his style of play 'invites' opponents to foul him
All of which gives a greater contribution to any team than Eduard does imo

I know this is a bit simplistic but it still to me shows up the hatchet job officials & the media have done on him & the timmy inspired hype surrounding values that has one priced much more than the other

Because our fans constantly downplay any of our own and probably have very little interest in the wider footballing world (so they don’t appreciate how mad fees are). That makes it easier for the MSM to attribute low fees too.

Celtic fans are the opposite. They’ll spend hours every day telling the world how great even someone like Rogic is.
To be fair Rogic would walk into our team, exactly what we lack in a midfielder.

Is it just about how rich the selling club is? Is it that Shame FC don't need to sell?

I have Eduard slighlty ahead of Alfie for two reasons:

1. Scores against us
2. Calmer finisher and wastes less chances

BUT Alfie scores in Europe and Eduard doesn't and Alfie is on edges of Colombia national squad which is incredible achievement.

But I keep reading he is valued at £30m and Alfie at as low as £10m. Why?

Is it just that clubs see us as 'cash poor'?
Is it filth having reputation as 'standing firm' in negotiations?
Is it Alfie's apparent huffs and fluctuations in form?
It’s called not reading hollicom and the daily record mate

Can I just say one big difference between the two is the dependability of their support casts.

Edouard can count on his team mates to bail him out help him along a lot more than Morelos can depend on his supporting cast. Look at the state of the chances Edouard blew away to Lazio and imagine the grief he might have gotten if Forrest and Ntcham hadn’t cropped up to bail him out.

you do know the Scottish papers don't you? they'd be more likely to go and find a personal story on his family than praise him

I feel Alfie is the sort of player that a lot of managers would love, fiery (just needs to control it) he can play a defence on his own which I don't think Edouard can do and he's a guy who will run for the team. There is obviously flaws but if you are a team who play one upfront, you'll definitely be thinking of him as an option because he can bring so much to a team and with the right training/management, he's got much more potential left in him
Absolutely agree. Alfie takes on the defence, Edouardo has to do it mob handed.
When it comes to the media, they like to be on the winning side whether they agree with it or not. If his scoring ability and his being the best striker in Scotland was undisputed, the smsm would claim it as an exclusive and say we knew it all along. the same thing is happening with the abuse claims in the media just now. They'll all jump on the band wagon soon. its the FOMO scenario.
The price of players is all media driven and you're only as good as you're last result in their eyes.
If the smsm have Eouard as 20 and Alfie at 10, it doesn't mean he's twice as good. He isn't twice as fast or score twice the amount of goals and neither is any of the 50/60/70 million pound players out there. Its all relevant to the team they are going to and not the team they are coming from. Edouard might shine like a diamond up a coal miners arse playing for Celtic but he would be riding the subs bench in any EPL team. The sad thing is there are too many teams that would pay that kind of money as a third string striker down south and that's why I don't watch it.
I for one hope Alfie stays for another season and score that hat trick against them that gives us the title.

Other than that 5-1 game at Ibrox griffiths has been non existent anytime he’s played against us.
Just my perspective, Edouard generally causes our current defenders no issues. He can’t score from 30 odd yards, Griffiths can. Hence my fear of one and not the other.

no matter who the better player is or the media agenda, our fans downgrade the prices of our players where as they do the opposite. Even someone on here mentioning x amount for Alfie or Borna is met with messages saying they are a looney if they believe it....we need to start promoting big prices, even if they are sometimes unrealistic, which imo isn't in the case of Alfie. He should easily be 20m and above

Anybody who thinks newspapers drive transfer fees up / down are utterly mental. Clubs on the continent won't even know what The Daily Record or The Evening Times is :D

The modern way of recruitment is via stats. Clubs from all the top leagues in Europe will have every bit of data possible on Morelos or Edouard at the click of a button and will have hours of footage of both players.

One thing a lot of our fans don't factor in is that reputation plays a part in terms of the price you will get for a player as well. Celtic actually have a track record in recent years of selling players for good money who have went on to be excellent players at a very high level like VVD, Dembele and Wanyama. You could even fling the likes of Lurch and Armstrong in there as well, Tierney is looking good for Arsenal now he is fit. They have a bit of a reputation for actually developing players to go on and play at a higher level in recent years, we simply don't have that.

Both players fit and flying, there's not a lot in it. I think Alfie does some better things than Edouard and vice versa.

Whether people like it or not until he scores against the tims and he truly gets the discipline issues under control others will always downplay his worth.

Us winning trophies would also help dramatically. (In others eyes).

I still think he’ll move for £18-£20m.

Anybody who thinks newspapers drive transfer fees up / down are utterly mental. Clubs on the continent won't even know what The Daily Record or The Evening Times is :D

The modern way of recruitment is via stats. Clubs from all the top leagues in Europe will have every bit of data possible on Morelos or Edouard at the click of a button and will have hours of footage of both players.

One thing a lot of our fans don't factor in is that reputation plays a part in terms of the price you will get for a player as well. Celtic actually have a track record in recent years of selling players for good money who have went on to be excellent players at a very high level like VVD, Dembele and Wanyama. You could even fling the likes of Lurch and Armstrong in there as well, Tierney is looking good for Arsenal now he is fit. They have a bit of a reputation for actually developing players to go on and play at a higher level in recent years, we simply don't have that.

Both players fit and flying, there's not a lot in it. I think Alfie does some better things than Edouard and vice versa.
Are you telling me Bill Leckie and Keith Jackson aren’t world renown journalists with David Frost-esque coverage and reporting ?.

Hence why Europa disciplinary record was good this season.
Absolutely mate. Too many on here shout about Alfie’s discipline whilst forgetting what he gets cards for. He has never once made a bad or over the ball tackle. He gets booked for the smallest of fouls that all other players don’t.

Just compare with Christie. He’s been involved in 3 sendings off with horrendous over the ball tackles, yet the narrative is that he’s not a dirty player, wasn’t intentional, he’s not like that blah blah blah.

Too many on here with short memories. What Alfie should do when the likes of cunts like club foot, broonaldo and pick any sheep defender foul him off the ball is not react and hit the deck immediately, the way that they shitebags do when Alfie reacts to them.

Well said mate, absolute nail on the head that a lot on here need to remember.

I've always had trouble with this idea that scoring against the beasts from the east is a significant factor in judging a players worth

Are all these players who scored against them in the league better than Alfie now ??

Celtic have sold Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster Armstrong and none marked a dud. This is why they can ask for high fees that added with a little media cooperation helps.

Who was the last player we sold who went on to do well?

Hopefully when Morelos goes he succeeds so we can command a better price on future outgoings.

Here's how I view it.

Morelos - Scores in big European games, On the cusp of the Colombia national team.
Edouard - Scores in big League games, Playing for the "champions",

In that sense not much between them.

BUT like it or not Alfredo has issues (its not a myth made up by the media) with discipline, daft bookings for petulance towards officials, red cards, going AWOL for big cup games.

Edouard's main indiscretion is an air rifle charge IIRC when he was at PSG

As players both are good at what they do, I think Alfredo does better for the "underdog" team (us in Europe) with his hold up, selfless running and ability to ruffle defenders feathers whereas Edouard IMO is a better all round player technically.

Value wise, it all depends on what the buying club wants to offer. But IMO they're not far apart

Celtic have sold Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster Armstrong and none marked a dud. This is why they can ask for high fees that added with a little media cooperation helps.

Who was the last player we sold who went on to do well?

Hopefully when Morelos goes he succeeds so we can command a better price on future outgoings.

Jelavic maybe?

I think that Alfie is more important to us than he is to them but in the transfer market Eduard will command more mainly because of reputation

Rogic would have to walk seeing as he never plays for them as he can’t run (according to a poet mate). Aside from Griffiths he is the player im most terrified of, can score from anywhere.

He’s fine if they are on the front foot. Hopeless against pace.

Well said mate, absolute nail on the head that a lot on here need to remember.

Your not following the script mate. Brown was ‘clever’. Meanwhile reverse roles and Alfie doing the same would be a dirty South American according to our racist ‘pundits’.

To be honest I don,t think clubs in Europe particularly look at Alfie record against the scum .Think they are more interested in what he has done in Europe.

Back