Central Midfield

I think we need 2, a passer/scorer and a physical beast.

We don’t have either.
Agreed. If we could get a good fee for Morelos and invest in two good quality players for these roles, we would be on the next level.

We do have far too many around the midfield area not of the standard required.

Tbf lads, they've dominated the mentally challengeds and some top European central midfields over the past year, so I think you're being very harsh.

We saw what Bayern did to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, they could've scored 8 and it wouldn't have flattered them.

Bayer aren't that far behind Bayern.

Our midfield is miles ahead of anything in Scotland.

McGregor, Brown and Christie haven't got near our midfield in the last 2 games.

Davis wasn't up to speed tonight and it showed, especially against a top drawer midfield.

They need to dominate and produce over the course of a season, not just for 6 months or the odd games here and there. That's the difference between being winners and losers.

Our midfield needs upgraded. That doesn't make Jack or Kamara bad players, they will play their part, it just needs taken to the next level.

They need to dominate and produce over the course of a season, not just for 6 months or the odd games here and there. That's the difference between being winners and losers.

one or 2 midfielders maybe maybe push the the existent players on

Tbf lads, they've dominated the mentally challengeds and some top European central midfields over the past year, so I think you're being very harsh.

We saw what Bayern did to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, they could've scored 8 and it wouldn't have flattered them.

Davis wasn't up to speed tonight and it showed, especially against a top drawer midfield.

Isolated games though mate.

Over the course of the season they are short of what we require.

Bauer aren't that far behind Bayern.

Davis isn't up to speed tonight and it showed, especially against a top drawer midfield.

Yes, on occasion and in some big games, they have served us well but often we have lacked the spark from the middle of the park, especially against stubborn tight packed back lines.

I just think, with a bit of cash to spend, we could take a step forward.

They're miles ahead of anything in Scotland.

Davis isn't up to speed tonight and it showed, especially against a top drawer midfield.

The OP is correct . Apart from Morelos once again going missing half way during a season the worse part of our team is quite clearly our midfield.
Aribo apart, it is very slow, not very creative and easily bullied.
I don’t think we can sell both Jack and Kamara, however I would sell whoever we got the bigger fee for.
I would then buy two, a dynamic playmaker ( not the s African lad) and a goal scoring midfielder.

Centre midfield is where a lot of games are won. If you get a hold in the midfield, most of the time you'll go on and win the game. Showed tonight I thought our back 4 and wingers were good, but CM (bar Aribo) were a bit vacant. Imo, we can't really expect to put the same midfield 3 out as last season and expect a huge difference in the level of performance.

Definitely our weakest area, but I'm confident Gerrard will upgrade in this area :)) 2 signings in that region and we will notice a huge difference in the whole level of the team.

I just think a lot of our midfielders all hold similar traits and styles.

Jack, Kamara and Davis are good players but are all defensively minded for me and as good as Aribo is he’s a young lad and we can’t rely on him for 60 odd games.

Think we need a different type of player for the midfield to drive it forward rather than constantly looking back or sideways.

Tonights actually convinced me its two midfielders we need, not one.
I wouldn’t take too much away from tonight with regards to what we need, Leverkusen are a top team who are simply better. I do however agree that we need two midfielder. A forward thinking DM and a box to box, more attacking centre mid.

Isolated games though mate.

Over the course of the season they are short of what we require.

Tbh mate, they were outstanding until the winter break, not just in isolated games.

Then the whole team, from McGregor out, fell apart, not just the midfield.

Jack and Kamara were outstanding at Pittodrie last week too.

Totally controlled the game.

Our midfield were poor tonight, but to say they all need replaced for Scottish football is wide of the mark.
As a squad there is enough to win the league, however getting in a box to box midfielder who can see a pass the title could be guaranteed.
Its finding one we can afford who wants to play in Scotland is the hard bit.

I just think a lot of our midfielders all hold similar traits and styles.

Jack, Kamara and Davis are good players but are all defensively minded for me and as good as Aribo is he’s a young lad and we can’t rely on him for 60 odd games.

Think we need a different type of player for the midfield to drive it forward rather than constantly looking back or sideways.

I agree we need a more dynamic midfielder to play centrally for us in games when we will totally dominate the game.

I'm hoping that's what we'll sign.

However, against quality opposition you need two midfielders who can retain possession.

Kamara is the best we have at that and has excelled in testing games like the piggery and European away games.

He was a huge miss tonight.

We were far looser in possession tonight than normal in Europe.

Spot on. Gerrard blind spot for Jack is a worry however.

I think we have seen the best/peak of Jack in a Rangers Jersey he's still a vital player but you just look at him in some games and say we can do much better I'm afraid.

Pre season, Aberdeen, and tonight he hasn't contributed enough for me considering he was our best midfielder last season that's an early worry.

Last edited:
I agree we need a more dynamic midfielder to play centrally for us in games when we will totally dominate the game.

I'm hoping that's what we'll sign.

However, against quality opposition you need two midfielders who can retain possession.

Kamara is the best we have at that and has excelled in testing games like the piggery and European away games.

He was a huge miss tonight.

We were far looser in possession tonight than normal in Europe.

Good thing is we have until October to sort ourselves out so need for some to panic, I believe Gerrard will have 1 or 2 more in by the end.

I think he’s good enough but one thing that’s certain is that he doesnt last a full season.

Consistently picks up wee jiggles and injuries here and there so defo a few players needed for midfield for me.
Agreed mate. Would certainly like to try Hagi in midfield with Roofe potentially taking Hagi’s current position. That could be interesting.

But agreed, we definitely do need to strengthen midfield, I feel like we have too many midfielders who are too similar in style

I keep saying it. Ross McCrorie is as good a defensive midfield player as any in Scotland. The guy is due a game there imo. We don't need to spend money to fill that position.

Agreed mate. Would certainly like to try Hagi in midfield with Roofe potentially taking Hagi’s current position. That could be interesting.

But agreed, we definitely do need to strengthen midfield, I feel like we have too many midfielders who are too similar in style

Yeah definitely, we have plenty time though still a month and a half till window shuts.

Hopefully decent amount of funds available once Alfredo jumps ship.

I keep saying it. Ross McCrorie is as good a defensive midfield player as any in Scotland. The guy is due a game there imo. We don't need to spend money to fill that position.

But he's hopeless in possession and rash with his tackles that's why he's nowhere near the team and I say that as a fan of McCrorie.

Don't get me wrong I like him but the bigger picture is unless he develops and improves his passing and other areas of his game he won't be a Rangers player for much longer I'm afraid.

In domestic games I’d play Arfield alongside Jack. We don’t need both Kamara and Jack in these games and Arfield is at least a goal threat.

Definitely need an upgrade in there though.

He was good for 6 months, and Morelos was better. Jack got it for being staunch.
People forget where we are when Gerrard first came in he built a whole new back four in his first season think out total spend that season was about 6/7 million? Then last season we bought kent and aribo on who would have had a decent signing on fee despite only being 400k. I do agree though the midfield needs massively upgraded and i think he knows this. It's now or never

The weakest part of our team.

Also the biggest difference between us and our competitors domestically.

The engine room is so important and I think Aribo is the only one who is of the quality required to take us to the next level.

The lack of passing ability, control, speed and strength in Jack, Kamara, Davis and Arfield is worrying. Always a side ball or playing backwards, rarely do they offer anything different to one another.
I agree with every word and have been saying so for past year Davis is finished Kamara flatters and is the biggest culprit of the sideways and backward passing and takes the tempo out our play Arfield is past his best but along with Jack are useful squad players and coming off the bench. We urgently require 2 quality midfielders who s first thought is to go forward and move the ball quickly

In domestic games I’d play Arfield alongside Jack. We don’t need both Kamara and Jack in these games and Arfield is at least a goal threat.

Definitely need an upgrade in there though.

Jack and Arfield is an industrious pairing but both lack legs, defensiveness awareness and creative skills.

But he's hopeless in possession and rash with his tackles that's why he's nowhere near the team and I say that as a fan of McCrorie.

Don't get me wrong I like him but the bigger picture is unless he develops and improves his passing and other areas of his game he won't be a Rangers player for much longer I'm afraid.

Back in December 2018 he was tremendous when we beat that mob at Ibrox. Gerrard's quote after that game was "I've found my midfield animal". Three weeks later we played Killie at Rugby Park, Gerrard left him on the bench and we lost 2-1. If we'd won that night we would have had the momentum for the run in. Scottish football is very physical and you need a player like McCrorie to win physical battles. He doesn't see that c't Brown in his way when he's been matched against him in midfield, yet we are prepared to disregard that.

Back in December 2018 he was tremendous when we beat that mob at Ibrox. Gerrard's quote after that game was "I've found my midfield animal". Three weeks later we played Killie at Rugby Park, Gerrard left him on the bench and we lost 2-1. If we'd won that night we would have had the momentum for the run in. Scottish football is very physical and you need a player like McCrorie to win physical battles. He doesn't see that c't Brown in his way when he's been matched against him in midfield, yet we are prepared to disregard that.

Our midfield has vastly moved on and improved since December 2018 yes I agree his performance that day was sensational and yes physically he's good but it's his other areas which let him down I think that evident in his loan at Portsmouth he lacks consistency which I think has been an issue for him.

I know many will disagree but imo Davis is finished and Jack is over rated and we need better.

In particular Jack offers very little going forward. We need a better box to box player.

No harm to the players as they have been good servants but we need to improve and move forward.
Agree with this.

Jack i has done a decent stint for us, but he's not getting any better now and he's not the standard we need to win. He should be the new Haliday and we get a better stater

Not to be harsh but when playing teams like Leverkusen they are a level above players Like Jack in our midfield. No doubt He’s a battler and will do a job for us domestically , it’s just how it is. Davis also starting to show signs that he’s done at the very top level too.

McCrorie wouldn’t stand out in a Hibs team , he couldn’t get a game in Portsmouth’s midfield. Nowhere near the level of midfielder required.

Sad to say Davis is done , needs replaceD pronto , good servant And was excellent T the sty in our win there but ever since he’s been really poor legs have gone

Our midfield has vastly moved on and improved since December 2018 yes I agree his performance that day was sensational and yes physically he's good but it's his other areas which let him down I think that evident in his loan at Portsmouth he lacks consistency which I think has been an issue for him.

I am not interested in how he did at Portsmouth where he ended up being played at right back. I could have wept when we went to Tynecastle in January and watched our midfield being outfought by the team at the bottom of the league and doing in our chances of the title. Give me a player like McCrorie any day who is going to go in to contest tackles and win them. Football is a team game and it's a very lucky team who has every player who is a good passer of a ball. If you've got a guy who can go in and win the ball then he can get it on to the creative players who can damage the opposition and you'll then you'll win games at places like Tynecastle and Rugby Park.

I am not interested in how he did at Portsmouth where he ended up being played at right back. I could have wept when we went to Tynecastle in January and watched our midfield being outfought by the team at the bottom of the league and doing in our chances of the title. Give me a player like McCrorie any day who is going to go in to contest tackles and win them. Football is a team game and it's a very lucky team who has every player who is a good passer of a ball. If you've got a guy who can go in and win the ball then he can get it on to the creative players who can damage the opposition and you'll then you'll win games at places like Tynecastle and Rugby Park.

Well his weaknesses caused him to be moved from midfield to right back what does that tell you ? Gerrard wants players who are dominant in possession but can also impact and do things with the ball McCrorie doesn't fit that category and we aren't going to accommodate him just for his physical attributes in recent years yes not anymore we have dramatically moved on now.

We do need two in. A natural holding player that can play forward passes and a dynamic number 8, I really hope Zungu is the former as he seems absolutely perfect for that role.

Aribo, Kamara and Jack are the only midfielders we have that are good enough to start regularly imo, Davis and Arfield should be nothing more than rotation options to give others a rest.

Well his weaknesses caused him to be moved from midfield to right back what does that tell you ? Gerrard wants players who are dominant in possession but can also impact and do things with the ball McCrorie doesn't fit that category and we aren't going to accommodate him just for his physical attributes in recent years yes not anymore we have dramatically moved on now.

We will not agree on this. So far as I am concerned we need a physical ball winner in our midfield to enable the rest of the team to play. Imo McCrorie fits that bill.

I Don't think our cente midfield is as bad as people are making out - they strolled to on Sunday against the 3rd best team in the league and tonight was an anomaly - Leverkusen are miles ahead of any team we have or will face in a long time so I wouldn't judge it on that. That being said it is clear Gerrard wants one more CM so I would expect us to make a move - would be interesting to see Hagi play in there though

Jacks a good presser and all effort but when a game gets technical he’s like a lost sheep, Davis is too old and kamara enjoys more technical games but doesn’t stamp his authority on a match. All of them are more than good enough for us but we still need a quality addition to help them

All are good enough for us only if we are content to standstill and accept being 2nd in a two horse race.

Most teams in Scotland know who to play us, the low block agaiinst us causes massive problems because we lack the flair, pace, drive, creativity and goalscoring threat from our midfield. A blindman can see it and I will be shock and very disappointed if SG does not have two midfielders on his shopping list to help improve our engine room.

hard to judge any of our players based on tonights performance, different animal of team. Our midfield generally bosses the mentally challengeds midfield when we play them, one or two additions wouldn’t go a miss though. Wild they had a 17 year old playing tonight that looked like he had been playing in that midfield for years..

I think it’s utterly insane that we’re sticking with the 4-3-3 - regardless of opposition - with the current options in midfield.

If we upgrade it, then batter in, but not being able to put more numbers in there to in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 is negligent from the coaching team.

Was disappointed with our midfield passing wasn’t good enough but I thought Arfield did well when he came on
I'd be tempted to put Arfield in before Jack,yes I know he got poty and all that,but he's too safe at times and kills momentum and I think Arfield offers more of a threat,but we do need more pace in there.

I think it’s utterly insane that we’re sticking with the 4-3-3 - regardless of opposition - with the current options in midfield.

If we upgrade it, then batter in, but not being able to put more numbers in there to in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 is negligent from the coaching team.
We don’t exactly have any natural right wingers to play a 4-5-1.

Jacks a good presser and all effort but when a game gets technical he’s like a lost sheep, Davis is too old and kamara enjoys more technical games but doesn’t stamp his authority on a match. All of them are more than good enough for us but we still need a quality addition to help them
We need someone like Barry Ferguson that wanted the ball could spray it around and take from deep drive with the ball.

Like him or loathe him he is the type of player we are missing

The good thing about the loss to Leverkusen - predictable though it was - was that Rangers were shown to be horribly deficient in terms of balance and quality in their midfield, when faced with a quality opponent who played to a standard we should be aiming to match, \\

These shortcomings were made clear against Leverkusen in a way not always apparent in the SPL where the standard of the opposition is generally poor, making it easier to conceal flaws. It is to hoped that Gerrard and his staff will spend the rest of their time between now and the end of the transfer window trying to recruit a midfielder(s) of the quality that will make the difference and complete the team.

I have been saying the exact same thing for months and that we needed to get 2 quality signings here.
If we need to sell anyone it should be either Jack or Kamara.
We wouldn’t get much for Jack I don’t think. Kamara is 4 years younger and a more established internationalist.

Back