Central Midfield

Midfield should be Jack, Aribo and a new player.

Davis unfortunately is passed it. He will probably still do a job in some league and cup games but it's a season too far for me.

Kamara slows the game down too much.

Arfield tries 100% but isn't good enough for that role.

In 2020 Ryan Jack has slowed the game down just as much as Kamara has.

I agree with the posters who say he looks like he’s playing with an injury. He’s just not at it and taking the easy option every time.

Irony that folk compare the Timbo game and state we totally dominated their midfield, yet the same players fail miserably against the Hamilton accies, rancid Hearts and other rotten teams on a regular basis. Do we have the mentality of the Diddy teams who normally raise their game against higher echelon and then resort to type against the shite. We don't need players with that mentality

Irony that folk compare the Timbo game and state we totally dominated their midfield, yet the same players fail miserably against the Hamilton accies, rancid Hearts and other rotten teams on a regular basis. Do we have the mentality of the Diddy teams who normally raise their game against higher echelon and then resort to type against the shite. We don't need players with that mentality

Tactically these games are very different which is the issue. In games v the lesser teams our midfield lacks the creativity needed.

The weakest part of our team.

Also the biggest difference between us and our competitors domestically.

The engine room is so important and I think Aribo is the only one who is of the quality required to take us to the next level.

The lack of passing ability, control, speed and strength in Jack, Kamara, Davis and Arfield is worrying. Always a side ball or playing backwards, rarely do they offer anything different to one another.

For me the real issue is playing players out of position to suit a system rather than the squad.

Davies, Kammara and Jack don't contribute enough goals or assist for our main central midfielders.

Hagi and Aribo are potentially our most creative players - yet I feel we are playing them in wide areas opposed to playing them off our main striker.

Jack/Davis/Kamara combinations thereof are simply not good enough. It's clear that Jack is one of the managers favourites and he is capable of producing the goods now and again but it seems to me hes a bit too comfortable knowing he position isn't under threat. We need more quality.

We are far too predictable in midfield. Everything is telegraphed. Any additions which can change that will do for me. Turn with the ball, beat a man, a default mentality to go forward. Anything.
I can sit and predict where our next few passes are going. If I can do it, so can opponents, and they do.

Short term we should go with a midfield of

Jack/Kamara

Hagi Aribo

That frees up another attacking position for roofe when he is fit aswell.

I think as long as Gerrard is the manager Ryan Jack will be one of the first names on the team sheet. Personally I'd play Arfield beside him just now as he has proven he can score goals from there. The problem Gerrard has is where do you fit in Hagi, Kent, Aribo and Roofe into the 3 positions behind the striker? I'm guessing there will be a bit of rotation around those positions from game to game and I suspect Itten will become our main striker.
I think what we all hope is that Gerrard and his staff will have identified the weaknesses in the current Rangers midfield, and have formed a clear sense as to how to address this problem, and what their ideal midfield for this season should actually look like.

So, instead of just collecting midfielders (no matter how talented), they should instead seek to sign players who will contribute toward: i) a more balanced midfield that combines pace, power and skill, and ii) one with sufficient depth and flexibility to cope with a variety of tactical needs. I believe that Rangers hopes of winning the league will hinge on getting the midfield sorted. Let us hope that Gerrard gets it right

I think what we all hope is that Gerrard and his staff will have identified the weaknesses in the current Rangers midfield, and have formed a clear sense as to how to address this problem, and what their ideal midfield for this season should actually look like.

So, instead of just collecting midfielders (no matter how talented), they should instead seek to sign players who will contribute toward: i) a more balanced midfield that combines pace, power and skill, and ii) one with sufficient depth and flexibility to cope with a variety of tactical needs. I believe that Rangers hopes of winning the league will hinge on getting the midfield sorted. Let us hope that Gerrard gets it right
I assume that they have identified CM as a position they need to strengthen as we have been linked quite heavily with Zungu.

Back