Barcelona (2) v Bayern Munich (8)

Barcelona are a club in complete turmoil.

They have sleepwalked into a fucking disaster zone.

Their elections are going to be a year-long shitshow, they don't have much money to revamp this squad, they don't have a manager, their team is scarred from the last three champions league campaigns, their best players simply don't have the hunger anymore and they have lost so many of their promising youngsters to other clubs because they refused to start moving on an ageing squad 2-3 seasons ago.

They are in serious, serious trouble.
I was in Barcelona with the family last year and snuck off to see a game and you could clearly see the problems. Busquets has been great but he runs like Douglas Bader these days. Most of they players who’ve been recruited since the Barca heyday were absolutely shitting themselves the whole time. And the bench was full of players who were neither proven talent or exciting young prospects. Terribly run club.

That was the poorest defending I’ve ever seen at that level of football. Bayern were excellent but they didn’t need to be to beat that car crash defending.

Last year was Barca’s best chance. They were 3-0 up against a dejected Liverpool team who had all but lost the title to Man City and were missing two of their potent front three for the return leg. Unbelievably they managed to screw it up, despite the best efforts of Messi. It would’ve hurt them even more knowing that Spurs would’ve been their opponent in the final

I don’t think this current Barca team will ever recover from the humiliations they’ve suffered in the CL over the past 3 seasons.

What is Instagram that Ferdinand keeps mentioning

sddefault.jpg

Of course they are, the big blonde arrogant German bastards! I just cant stand the self righteousness of Barcelona who would have you believe they invented football.

Anti-football indeed.

I don't know how old you are and I am aware that German is not your mother tongue, but when you get all the media coverage about them like I have for more than twenty years, you would perhaps think differently about Bayern. One example is how they talked about Rangers publicly when we lost out to them in 1999 and actually played them off the park twice.

If Pedro was right about one thing, it was that football works in cycles.

Bayerns time again, after falling off the top and quietly rebuilding for the future.
What you tend to notice is the leagues are cyclical too. Each has its own feature. Spanish is the silky FIFA type football. The Germans high press/ very efficient. The Italians excellent defensively. The English of late have just pumped a fortune into it and don't have a recognisable style across the league (Liverpool and city being 2 obvious exceptions).

I hope the bundelisga is getting a revival. It's my favourite league to watch after Rangers

Didn't think I'd see an astonsishing result like the Germans whacking Brasil by a massive score at the World Cup but we are there again.

What you tend to notice is the leagues are cyclical too. Each has its own feature. Spanish is the silky FIFA type football. The Germans high press/ very efficient. The Italians excellent defensively. The English of late have just pumped a fortune into it and don't have a recognisable style across the league (Liverpool and city being 2 obvious exceptions).

I hope the bundelisga is getting a revival. It's my favourite league to watch after Rangers
No revival just complete domination.

I don't know how old you are and I am aware that German is not your mother tongue, but when you get all the media coverage about them like I have for more than twenty years, you would perhaps think differently about Bayern. One example is how they talked about Rangers publicly when we lost out to them in 1999 and actually played them off the park twice.
I’ve loathed them since then! We had no luck: Mols injury, Wallace hitting the bar, etc. They got away with it and carried on as if they’d strolled it.

That's the kind of doing you come to expect the tims to get, not Barcelona. What a hiding and that will spark huge turnover at them

Just came on to check the score.... unbelievable!! I picked Bayern out the sweep in the pub to win it. Confidence booster that. £160 looks good for a quid

This happens to every team where players are allowed to go on too long and believe they have an entitlement to do as they please. Managers have to be ruthless in those circumstances. In football, as in business, there is no room for sentiment. Alex Ferguson was ruthless in moving players out when he detected slippage but even he allowed things to slip in his final years in his quest to win more league championship and while he went out as a champion he left Davie Moyes nothing but ageing players on a downward spiral. Man U have had to spend billions trying to get back to a challenging position. Barca are massively in debt and may not have the funds to come back quickly. Tough!

Back