We cannot sell Morelos if we want to win the title.

I disagree.

Alfie is a great striker and there’s no doubt about it. That said I actually think his best all-round displays are against strong European opposition where his strength helps us to get into games. He gives top defenders a dog’s life and that’s why he’s worth massive money.

Domestically, he’s scored goals of course but he’s been far too streaky. That’s a particular issue as, when he isn’t scoring, he doesn’t link especially well in the tight spaces we usually have to work in in Scotland. It’s very rare we get 50 yards to play into the way Aberdeen gave us on the opening day.

I actually think Hagi and Kent have looked more threatening playing along with Roofe, whose movement is exceptional and who links very well in small gaps.

As I say, that’s not all to say he’s not a great Player and one of our best individuals. Just that we may get a lot more out of others if they play with a striker not so focussed on himself.

Another big issue is he is obviously reffed to a uniquely harsh standard in this country. You can almost guarantee he will be sent off three times this season for nothing.

I agree with that completely.

I'd love for him to stay as long as we can afford it, he allows us to play a way in Europe and against them that really works, against low block I think others may be better suited but I remember the Killie game at Ibrox where he came off the bench and got us the winner.

It's great that we're not completely reliant on him now but we're still stronger with than without him but in saying all that I still think he'll go at the end of the window.

I was resigned to losing him and I think he wanted to go but there seems to be a change in him and I think if we want to win the title we can’t sell him.

Imo Itten and Roofe won’t get enough goals to replace Morelos goals and that’s not me having a go I think Itten might be one who needs a few months maybe even a season to find his feet with us and Roofe does his best work outside the box with tremendous movement and him and Alfie would be sensational.

I was massively massively criticised for saying Itten isn't the man to replace Morelos' goals.

"He's just in the door, how can you tell that, give him time".

I could tell because I watched him, watched his movement and watched what he did in certain positions/situations. He isn't a potent goalscorer.
He is a decent player, can bring others into the game and he will definitely score some goals, but he isn't a 20+ a season (league) goalscorer, and i'm not yet convinced if he is even a 15.

He would be good foil in a front two though.

But I completely agree, I was resigned to losing Morelos, but with his change in attitude/demeanour of late, and the fact he is our best striker, he is a MUST keep.

I can't help but think that Gerrard has done a fantastic job behind the scenes to turn that around.

It’s because they are incomparable mate in all honesty.
Your not getting it lad.
They are 100% comparable.
You are only going on what Hateley done.
He got it big time from fans at the start of his Rangers career because he was'nt performing. Look what he turned into!
So Itten on a 4 year deal and you can catagorically say he won't be a success?
Is that what you are saying?

Sulk all season? He looked happy today and his teammates were not showing signs of petulance from him.
The enablers have bigger issues with the French Boyd, than we do with Alfie.
That's why i said 'if'. Today was good, but let's be honest and look at the standard of the opposition.

You can look at my posting history and see last year i thought we absolutely had to keep him, but once the manager starts saying his head has been turned I start to worry.

If he can make him happy to stay the season I would be delighted, but i really dont think we can afford any disruptive influences this season.

Morelos or a significant 1st team player will be gone come the close of this transfer window, cant spend and invest as we have without a significant income, it is what it is

St Gallen are the equivalent of Alloa...... that’s good even for this forum

Absolutely excellent isn’t it.

“We need to look into the European market for more affordable players rather than overpriced English rejects or Scottish dross”

Club buys a player from a European league.

“2nd place in Switzerland and Swiss internationals are the same level as Alloa”

Morelos didn’t exactly hit the ground running when he arrived. If Swiss league is Alloa what does that make the Finnish? Brora Rangers?

We are a different proposition with a fully committed Alfie .
There are very few Players that can occupy an oppositions back 4.
Any premiership team whose ambition is to finish in the top half should try and get him.
Personally I would love him to stay as I agree with the op .
55 becomes far more achievable with the Buff up front.

I was resigned to losing him and I think he wanted to go but there seems to be a change in him and I think if we want to win the title we can’t sell him.

Imo Itten and Roofe won’t get enough goals to replace Morelos goals and that’s not me having a go I think Itten might be one who needs a few months maybe even a season to find his feet with us and Roofe does his best work outside the box with tremendous movement and him and Alfie would be sensational.
You could well be right, but I think we'd have just enough about us to win the title this time. However, it'll be much easier to win it with Alfie than without, no doubt about it.
In my opinion Alfie is still our best striker, and our best player.

Hateley was top class, had European experience at top clubs, and was injured. That's all. Injured. He then regained fitness and was awesome. Obviously.
[/QUOTE
Yes he had a pedigree. No he was not injured. If he was injured he would not have played. He took a while to get his Rangers career going.
Itten ( who has been injured) has a good pedigree too (albeit not as high profile as Hateley) so how can people say he won't turn out to be a sucess? A Swiss internationalist, good goal ratio for St. G, yet people right him off? Unbelievable!

One player does not win a league and im sick to the back teeth of people saying that we must keep certain players if we want to win leagues etc etc, Players will leave, the club will survive. MUCH BETTER players than Morelos have left our club and we still won league titles.

If he leaves he leaves. Same with Kent, in fact same with any player, bear in mind no one is forced to leave, if Morelos leaves it will be because he wants too. And if he does thanks for your contribution and know youve just left the biggest team you will ever play for.

Said on another post I wasn’t excited about roofe and got slaughtered I think it was more I wasn’t excited with the prospect of him replacing Alfie as he’s a massive loss , 2 big of shoes to fill I think , I think wee need morelos goals to win the league

There was a massive change in Alfe this time last year too.
Still he wants to it woukd be best for everyone.

Bit early to be writing off Itten but I agree I'd like Morelos to stay just one more season.
Not writing him off , but he doesn’t appear to score many goals . Certainly doesn’t look
Some of the comments on Itten are insane. Some folk can’t wait to write off players. It’s bizarre.

he’ll be great for us.
He certainly doesn’t look like a £ 2.7m player . Not writing him off but he doesn’t appear to score many goals . Roofe will chip in but again isn’t the prolific striker I thought he liked be . If we sell Morelos we need a replacement,,,,, so far we don’t have this

If you think Itten is similar to MH then I can't help you.
I'm not looking for help Lad.
I'm talking about people judging players that are just in the door.
Here's another one for you then, Remember a guy called Ally McCoist?
I remember just about the whole of Ibrox singing ..Ally Ally GTF when he played his first few games for us.
He went on to be a bit ok I suppose.
Did'nt have the pedigree Itten currently has.
Get it?

I remember just about the whole of Ibrox singing ..Ally Ally GTF when he played his first few games for us.
Get it?
No one doesn't want Itten to be huge for us, but no evidence at all of it.

Get it?
Also remember a guy called Francis Jeffers

I’ve had countless ding dongs with posters in the other Morelos thread.

Since the international break, he most definitely looks sharper and leaner which would tie in with Gerrards comments regarding him doing extra training.

His performances have also improved and his finishing as can be seen tonight.

Up until the international break I wanted him sold as quite frankly, his attitude and performances were well short of what he is capable of and not to mention he was dropped from a squad due to his attitude/application in training.

I felt if we sold him, we’d get rid of someone that had become a bad apple, and we’d reinvest some of the money on improving the overall squad.

I think it’s harsh to be critical of Itten because he’s barely been in the door and I thought tonight he done fairly well with his link up play and got himself into positions in the second half to get a few shots on target. I genuinely believe once he grabs a few goals he’ll turn out to be a cracking signing.

Roofe will also be a cracking signing IMO.

However, to Morelos, if he continues to knuckle down and recapture his form of 2019, then I’d be delighted if he stayed this season as when he fancies it, he can run any defence ragged. However, it’s a big IF. If another big bid comes in for him and we reject it, I hope he doesn’t down tools like he did last month. That’s the main issue for me

A Morelos who is in the mood would fire us to the league title this season. He looks to be getting some of that back but I expect him to be away before long unfortunately. Itten looks like he’ll take time to settle and Roofe looks like he might be better supporting Morelos rather than replacing him. I think we are going to need to find another striker who offers something like Alfredo. A bit of ruthlessness in front of goal, physicality, ability to cause havoc on his own up front. Trouble is we probably can’t afford to buy a like-for-like replacement. One thing is for sure - if he’s still here come the weekend then get him back in the starting 11.

He did nothing tonight apart from a tap in and an admittedly tidy finish against a knackered part time team.

No Rangers player has ever been as moody - meaning often not trying - and gotten this big a pass from fans. He’s a good player when he wants to be and that’s not what I expect.

Itten looks a better linking player in the penalty box and Roofe has top class movement and seems more of a predator. Give me them plus £20m so we can get what we really need - midfielders who can play an early freaking ball!

He's the man that scores the goals amd goals ultimately win games.

Trying to replace him this window will be near impossible.

If he does go it will be for a huge fee and we will have 2 or 3 quality players lined up but the most important thing is he looks lean and sharp again.

A fully match fit Morelos guarantees goals but we now also have Kent fulfilling his potential and Roofe who will be a huge player for us.

One more season

It's a weird one, because we've heard the same idea being put forward every year since he's signed and we've still to win the league, or even mount a serious title challenge, with Morelos up-front.

There are a range of issues at play there, of course, but I don't think there's been another striker (or player, for that matter) in Rangers' history where fans continually put forward the theory that a guy who has yet to play a part in any kind of domestic success is absolutely crucial towards the future success of the team. At what other point in our history, recent or otherwise, would a guy in a team who's won nothing be described as "irreplaceable?" How long are we going to be demanding that he give us, "one more season"?

This is his fourth season with the club, and we're still waiting on him doing something that he's still to do in his Rangers career, which is consistently deliver the goods post-Christmas (6 goals in 2018; 10 in 2019, which is far better, but the league was well and truly gone by that point anyway; and 1 in 2020, when there was still something approaching a title campaign).

You could say it's a case of fool me once, shame on you, etc, or unhappy the land in need of heroes, but there's a strange kind of collective amnesia and pressure heaped on his shoulders that's probably not healthy for him or the supporters.

I also think some of the newfound praise he's came in for from tonight should be tempered by the fact that it's on the back of two goals (as nicely taken as they were) against a part-time mob from Gibraltar :D

He did nothing tonight apart from a tap in and an admittedly tidy finish against a knackered part time team.

No Rangers player has ever been as moody - meaning often not trying - and gotten this big a pass from fans. He’s a good player when he wants to be and that’s not what I expect.

Itten looks a better linking player in the penalty box and Roofe has top class movement and seems more of a predator. Give me them plus £20m so we can get what we really need - midfielders who can play an early freaking ball!

Seriously?

I really hope he stays. The negativity over him is blown out of proportion
Some of his own “support” are fecking worse than the arseholes who demonise him, make no mistake they want him gone from Scottish football it’s just we have to many thickos who go along with the Morelos nutcase agenda being driven by the cranks in the 19th Century Terrorist media.
If last weeks studding and the subsequent no action couldn’t waken some coma victims in our support up to the fact this guy is being deliberately targeted nothing will.

I think it would be ideal if we keep a switched on Morelos. I think if he goes and we can safely say if he does it will be for serious money-we need to buy another striker as part of spending that cash.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry? you need to expand on this? is this the same as Hateley would have been viewed as a flop after a similar amount of time, you are talking total and utter nonsense.
[/QUOTE

Comparing Itten to Hateley lol Sell Alfie we sell the league,anybody who thinks different is miles aff it.

I have described Morelos consistently as an enigma until he settles down and focuses on his play that will be the case.

He remains our most potent striker though.

Bloody hell mate, give him a chance!
Sad to see this already. Itten being set up as the fall guy. We are all desperate to win the league, but have no problem holding back when it comes to criticising our players, then give ourselves a pat on the back for being a great support.

Hardly in the door ffs. Remember roofe was getting it from some on saturday, before he had the decency to score a goal and give the rest of us peace.

Seriously?
Yup - note the location of said link play. Alfie comes deep and does a good job there but in the box he’s head down, laces through. Fine, but I like Itten in the box way more for the role it plays for the team - head up and always trying to get a flick or a nod. That’ll be more important for us against deep packed defences.

Back