Is Ryan Kent good enough for England right now?

He could play Premiership football, but he'd still be nowhere near the England side.

I am fucking delighted about tonight, but it's totally chronic seeing utterly ridiculous statements about our players after a win. All it does is set them up for a fall. We had people wanting Goldson to get an England cap before the Hibs game. Can't you see how bonkers it is to suggest that any of our players, especially our forward players, are good enough to play for England?

We used to have players that got capped for England when England were a better team and Scottish football was just as shit. And we have players being capped for nations pretty much on a par with England, better if you count recent tournament performances.

Kent isn't at the level yet, he needs to do it consistently in Europe. But I don't agree he's anywhere near as far away from some of those players as you think.

Never understand these calls. Do you really want Kent , who is currently our best player to be dragged off, to play all over Europe risking injury ,for no benefit to the club .

Our support is totally bipolar. Touting players for call ups to one of the best international teams in the world after a great win.

Wanting everyone sold and conceding the league after a bad result.

100%.

I don't see how saying Kent would look out his depth in the England set up is that negative. He's fantastic for us, but England have some of the best young attacking players in the world.

Will never get capped while playing up here, but if he can carry his current form down to the prem when he inevitably makes the move every chance he could be in and around squads. Kalvin Phillips from Leeds just made his England debut, a side Kent was of course just heavily linked with, so it's not impossible. As Thomson alluded to on commentary tonight, Kent really can be anything he wants to be, provided he makes the right decisions and keeps improving.

The simple fact is... no matter how highly we rate him, the English don't. An average England squad player transfers for an average of 40 million now at least. Leeds offered us 10.

So would:

Raheem Sterling
Oxlade Chamberlain
Jadon Sancho
James Ward-Prowse
Jack Grealish
Marcus Rashford
Phil Foden

All England players that could play out wide.

I love Kent, but come on.

I don't necessarily disagree about Kent's chances but IMO : :))

Ward-Prowse - Shite, overrated and will be forgotten in a season or two.

Grealish - Flatters to deceive and won't be well capped. An all round fanny into the bargain. James Madison is a far better English player in that mould.

Oxlade Chamberlain - a utility player, useful and I quite like him but nothing special.

Foden - cracking wee player but apples and oranges when talking about Kent surely? Not a forward.

Rashford - can't make my mind up on him. Keep hearing he's an amazing, mercurial talent but of you compare him to his peers internationally, Mbappe for instance. And in the England context he's nowhere near Rooney or a young Owen. Still a great wee player but overrated by virtue of how much he is talked up.

I'll give you Sterling - fantastic wee forward and a cut above anyone on that list as it stands and Sancho - again brilliant wee player.

For me, youve got 3 or 4 genuinely good and/or great English forwards who are nailed on starters when you add Kane. Given what he's shown in Europe with Rangers and just from watching him play, I don't think Kent will ever get to that level but is on a rung or two down on the ladder with players like Greenwood, Saka, Nketiah, Hudson-Odoi, Mount et al. He should get capped IMO if Southgate is testing out different players in frendlies but I don't think he will which is a shame and indicative of the arrogance in that League when in reality 16 or 17 of the teams in it are shite.

He could play Premiership football, but he'd still be nowhere near the England side.

I am fucking delighted about tonight, but it's totally chronic seeing utterly ridiculous statements about our players after a win. All it does is set them up for a fall. We had people wanting Goldson to get an England cap before the Hibs game. Can't you see how bonkers it is to suggest that any of our players, especially our forward players, are good enough to play for England?
Maguire starts for England mate I wouldn't put their centre half position up on a pedestal :)) .

I would say so, but im biased because i fuckin love him. No one who plays in the scottish league will get near the english team. It would hurt their ego too much

I don’t think he’d look out of place, but no SPFL winger is getting near the England team as it stands.

In a way it's good for us that our best players aren't in the spotlight.

We aren't a "look at me" club and never have been.

If he

a) Gets a move to the EPL
b) Wins us the title
c) Gets us to the Europa final

Then maybe.

Suspect b or c would lead to a) first though.

Be much better if we found out that he had a Scottish granny then he could play for Scotland but would Steve Clark pick him? Probably not.

Whether he is or isn’t good enough we should be having ex players firing out articles declaring he is good enough to drive the price through the roof it’s what the mentally challengeds have been doing for years

Seem to recall some on here not so long ago moaning about his contribution and his lack of goals and assists. Questioning whether or not it was money well spent.

Now - he's an England International.

He has started the season well, has a tendency to deliver in the big games, has recently added "numbers" in the games against lower class opposition and is generally looking pretty good and more consistent.

For me he is still a long way from the England team but if he continues to develop and deliver consistently then who knows - in all probability though he won't be considered, irrespective of how well he does here, until he moves on and is delivering at a higher level than the Scottish League.

Not saying it's right just the way it is. And that probably suits us as international recognition probably means his departure date is brought forward - adds a few £'s though.

So would:

Raheem Sterling
Oxlade Chamberlain
Jadon Sancho
James Ward-Prowse
Jack Grealish
Marcus Rashford
Phil Foden

All England players that could play out wide.

I love Kent, but come on.
You're correct, England have a lot of options before considering Kent. His biggest drawback is the level of player he's up against on a weekly basis in Scotland. Iirc Hateley was only capped once while playing for us and he was at the top of his game at the time. Kent's good for us but apart from Leeds there aren't any other EPL clubs looking at him. He's young though but he'd need to be doing it week in week out down there to have a chance

Some of the early replies to this thread are an embarrassment. You’d think every player was Messi-esque in the England squad. Kent will get caps for England in his career.

I’d honestly rather Kent than chamberlain and Ward-prowse. Not a big fan of grealish either.

None of the three of them play wide for England or their clubs anyway. Evidently Kent is never going to be picked for England while he plays in Scotland but he'd have a good shout when he eventually moves to England.

Imo he's good enough to get in the squad, not sure bout the first team. Could guarantee the ones taking the piss out the OP would have said the same about Borna being the 1st choice LB for Croatia at the start of his Rangers career.

He should at least get a call-up to the squad, he probably won't though because the English FA are so far up their own arse they can taste the brylcreem.

He’s a long, long way from an England call up, to suggest otherwise is silly.

He would need to playing in England first before they would even contemplate looking at him.

As much as a player kent is, people are hillarious on this post. Kent is a great player, nowhere near as good as sterling, sancho and co. Before this season people were sceptical he was good enough for us nvm the english national side lmao

2 months ago I would have said you're mental but the Leeds boy Phillips got in the squad and Leeds want to sign Kent for big money. That being said, England have many attackers ahead of Kent

If he is better than a waster like deli alli, which he is! then why would he not be considered? He would give England kick up the arse and actually show them that you don't have to play in the Premiership to be good at football.

Some of the early replies to this thread are an embarrassment. You’d think every player was Messi-esque in the England squad. Kent will get caps for England in his career.
He probably will get capped for England but it won't be while he's playing in this footballing backwater, he will have to perform in a top league against top players on a consistent basis.

I would think he might be good enough for a place on the bench for England.
Not 100% sure of it, but in his current form, and his performances in Europe, he wouldn’t be far off.

He won’t get selected though as he plays in Scotland.

One of the problems we now have as a club is that no England manager is going to select a player who is playing in Scotland. If Ryan wants to have an international career, he will have to move to England and prove he is as good at that level as a number of young lads competing for the wide attacking berths in Southgate’s teams.

I wouldn't doubt RK could positively contribute to an England side right now
But I'm unsure he'd suit their style of play -

It's all academic though because he'd never get picked by the current England manager imo

Back