Andy Halliday and Barry Ferguson on Pedro

My original point was I find it distasteful hearing a bang average player like Halliday slagging off Pedro, as much of a failure as he was

Others then piled in claiming Halliday was within rights to etc hence why debate has now erupted as IMO Halliday wasn’t exactly a success with us and had very limited ability so I find it rather laughable that he’s having a pop at Pedro for all to see online

Jogging back with his thumbs in the air to catch Callum McGregor in the 2017 semi final and then acting like a big wean when he rightfully got hooked.

It was aw Pedro’s fault, so it wiz.

Done a shite job & left. More like set us back years, cost us millions upon millions on duds, an absolute fraud.

How is that any different to what I said? The real culprits are the board members who saw fit to employ him and then trust him with transfer money. I don’t know if he set us back years either, we were absolutely shite when he arrived too.

As for your edit, Waburton was a shite manager who never saw winning as a necessity and didn’t want to keep a loan player on the pitch so he could protect the parent clubs asset. It’s well known he tried to engineer a move to Forrest, where unsurprisingly he rolled up thereafter, and he did threaten legal action against the club so you can’t ignore that. All in all, I think you’re kidding yourself on if you can’t see why many give him a harder time than the other dud.

Barry Ferguson was a fantastic Rangers player, a joy to watch. That said I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club as a coach. Seems to have never grown up.
Pedro was probably the worst appointment in the clubs history, he was a dead man walking within 5 weeks of taking control.

Reactions: VGM
How is that any different to what I said? The real culprits are the board members who saw fit to employ him and then trust him with transfer money. I don’t know if he set us back years either, we were absolutely shite when he arrived too.
Because the damage he done was a lot more than just a “shite job”.

And I wholeheartedly agree it was a compete and utter disgrace from the board too.

Done a shite job & left. More like set us back years, cost us millions upon millions on duds, an absolute fraud.

Warburton helped push the club in to the 21st century, gave us a fantastic season & helped the club massively off the park. I’ve no idea what went on behind the scenes, and neither do you.
I’ve not got sympathy for either.

Pedro burned through millions and Waburton was up to his neck in shoddy transfer deals through his daughters agency.

Both stubborn and unwilling to adapt their style of play to the players at their disposal.

They both set us back years.

Only plus from Warburton and Pedro era was Tav, Jack and Morelos.

Here’s another point...

We should have been in the position where the Morelos money would be an bonus, rather than a recoup of unnecessary losses.

The entire circus should never, ever have happened

I agree

The board are to blame for appointing him and then giving him about £10m to spend

Not one person on the board were removed from their position which was astounding

Compare it to Kevin Thomson's reaction to being passed over for it.

Publicly thanked Pedro and the club for being considered for it, said it was an honour to be shortlisted and wished them well.

Fast forward a couple of years and KT's in an important coaching role at the club and Ferguson is managing Kelty Hearts.

It's not a coincidence.

Barry Ferguson doesn’t have the savvy to be involved at the top level of coaching.

Which is a real shame, as he was the best Scottish player of his generation (by a country mile as well).

Anybody with eyes and a brain could see Pedro wasn’t going to be in the job for long, so if Barry had played the game he would have been in with a shot of running the team in the short term after the inevitable happened.

He couldn’t do it though - didn’t know how to.

He just couldn’t fathom the politics required.

I agree

The board are to blame for appointing him and then giving him about £10m to spend

Not one person on the board were removed from their position which was astounding

Fair point mate.

However...

They dug deep - and continue to dig deep - to try and rectify their mistake.

Had the bodies responsible left the boardroom would we have replaced the many millions they have brought to the table?

I’m not so sure.

We basically agree though that it was a serious boardroom error lol.

There are some who will never forgive Ferguson for his part in undermining and ultimately getting rid of Le Guen. Whereas there are many who will be forever grateful for it. And Pedro was even worse than PLG.

Some will say he would never have disrespected or publicly criticised Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith or Steven Gerrard like that.

Very true, because they knew what they were doing.

On saying all that, of course he shouldn't be anywhere near a Rangers coaching role.
This is the correct answer.

There is and was a clear lack of respect for both PLG and Perdo from Ferguson. Would that be because they were foreign and BF didn’t know how to adapt to these guys, or was it because the foreigners wouldn’t adapt to us?
It seems to me, given the way BF carries himself, regardless of how good a coach he or some may think he is, he’s not in a position to be anywhere near a coaching role at the club. Our coaches and managers have always had a certain air and aura about them, class, decorum. I’m not sure BF has that, as great a player as he was and as effective a captain as he was, he’s not cut out for the management role here.
What I would like him to do is perhaps get himself into the youth side of things, bring through the youngsters at the training centre, mould the next generation into the midfielders that so many of us were used to. He should be, like Kevin Thomson, in amongst the youth set up. He would be hugely effective there, and would command a degree of respect, but for the first team I don’t think so.

There are some who will never forgive Ferguson for his part in undermining and ultimately getting rid of Le Guen. Whereas there are many who will be forever grateful for it. And Pedro was even worse than PLG.

Some will say he would never have disrespected or publicly criticised Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith or Steven Gerrard like that.

Very true, because they knew what they were doing.

On saying all that, of course he shouldn't be anywhere near a Rangers coaching role.
He publically disrespected Walter Smith after the gaffer told him to get his head down after the drinking in Cameron House. What did Barry do? Flash the V sign on National tv.

He was then stripped of the armband (again) and left a few months later out the back door essentially.

Lesson, don’t mess with Walter

Barry Ferguson doesn’t have the savvy to be involved at the top level of coaching.

Which is a real shame, as he was the best Scottish player of his generation (by a country mile as well).

Anybody with eyes and a brain could see Pedro wasn’t going to be in the job for long, so if Barry had played the game he would have been in with a shot of running the team in the short term after the inevitable happened.

He couldn’t do it though - didn’t know how to.

He just couldn’t fathom the politics required.
It doesn’t matter what walk of life you are in, if you apply for a job, want the job and get an interview for the job there are a few things you don’t do in an interview.

1) turn up late, drunk or wearing green and grey
2) tell the hiring manager you are after his job
3) tell the hiring manager, before you get the job, that he’s not got a clue.

I respect Ferguson for his ability as a player. Clearly. But as a man and a footballing man....not for me.

if he genuinely wanted the job and could see Pedro wouldn’t last, then the smart thing (as you say) would have played the long game.

as for Pedro, I don’t blame him, I blame the people that hired him.

The mentally challengeds making and watching that show will be having a good laugh at us too.

Sorry mate, but this paranoid drivel is pathetic.

If the makers were that bitter would they really have Andy Halliday & Barry Ferguson on a few days after we pumped them?

If you don't like the show that's fair enough, but this pish is tiresome.

Wait till a few points are dropped and that’ll all change. I just don’t think it’s a very classy thing to do. Same way I wouldn’t be happy if Walter went on some podcast giving it “what a diddy Ferguson was, I mean how daft do you have to be to get stripped of the captaincy twice ffs, ho ho ho”.

Having a laugh is fine but that was a bit shit. I can’t be the only one who’s forgotten how brutal Halliday was during those days too. He absolutely gave up the chase during one of those OF drubbings when one of their mob went onto score, I’ve tried hard to forget it but seems others have had better success than me.

Calum McGregor.

What had Gerrard shown?
SG got the job based on his growing reputation as a youth coach and his personality as well as achievements as a player.
BF has plenty of coaching experience with Blackpool, Fleetwood, Clyde and his current role. Experience doesnt demand a role, I get that argument but you could say same of Mccoist, Lovenkrands, Thomson, Vignal etc too.
He was coaching with Liverpool, Ferguson is coaching Kelty Hearts and no one appears to be kicking down doors to give him something better.

You can almost taste the jealousy ripping out of some posters about Barry, it's always the same with local players. These guys lived the dream and we all lived it vicariously through them, woe betide those who fall short of their idea of what a true Bear is.
Telling Keith Jackson whats going on at Murray park before he has even left the car park is your idea of a true bear?

I’ve not got sympathy for either.

Pedro burned through millions and Waburton was up to his neck in shoddy transfer deals through his daughters agency.

Both stubborn and unwilling to adapt their style of play to the players at their disposal.

They both set us back years.

Only plus from Warburton and Pedro era was Tav, Jack and Morelos.
Wouldn't say that Warburton set us back years tbh, he was an awful manager during his second season and made a lot of bad transfers but he did more good than bad looking at it from a big picture perspective.

Began the total academy rebuild, gave the club a much needed footballing identity that we haven't strayed too far from and took the club out of a period of complete misery.

We would be in a much better position now if we went directly to Gerrard after Warburton.

This board will be forever remembered for being saviours - I will also remember this shambles, the Mcinnes debacle and the shambles preceding it with Warburton and Weir. Rank amateurism at its finest.
Who in their right mind would listen to Pedro and think, YES! This is the guy to stop Brenda. Then hand him a cheque book.
I do agree that I would rather AH and BF leave the colourful language at the door, but its who they are and its no different to what you hear in the stands, and in the changing room.
Still would like to have seen BF in a coaching role at the club, regardless of some people’s opinions on his columns - he is honest and speaks his mind.
Halliday and ferguson are classless and talk like neds.
Can you imagine ex players like grieg, jardine etc talking like this.
Dragged up.

It's not really. If you've ever listened to the podcast before you'd know that they regularly get tore into ex pros and managers. Its entire USP is being candid.
That might be the case but I dont like ed Rangers players talking like neds and generally being fannies towards the club.

The blame for the Pedro debacle lies with the board who hired him. They are fortunate they earned such godwill by saving us from the spivs otherwise they would have been chased out of Ibrox.
Nobody is denying that.
Ferguson thinks he has carte blanche to talk about Rangers any way he likes, wtf does Caixinha have to do with him?

This is a guy who got done for a barney in Bothwell after captaining Rangers to a 6-2 tanking at the San Giro....

This is a guy who undermined another Rangers manager as the captain by leaking to one of the biggest skidmarks in the MSM.

This is a guy who when told by Walter Smith to keep his head down after a bevvy session with the national team proceeded to give a TV camera a get it up you sign while a Rangers player.

So Barry can spare us his neddy pish about Rangers on a 2 bob podcast.

You think that was all down to Halliday?

The 5-0 hammering we had Martin and McCrorie at centre half. Dorrans and Holt in midfield and Cummings leading the line.

The 5-1 hammering when Halliday came off the bench to replace Kranjcar at half-time. That day we had Senderos and Kiernan at centre half. Barton in midfield and Garner leading the line.

You're placing all that at Halliday's feet?

As I said, in the game where Ryan Jack scored the winner, Halliday was immense.

Halliday was also brilliant in quite a few Europa League games under Gerrard.

It's quite ridiculous how quick some Rangers fans are so quick to get stuck into one of our own.

Also, who gives a fck if Celtic fans cheered his name.
Halliday is 2 minutes out the door at Rangers and already talking shite on podcasts and Snyde.

He publically disrespected Walter Smith after the gaffer told him to get his head down after the drinking in Cameron House. What did Barry do? Flash the V sign on National tv.

He was then stripped of the armband (again) and left a few months later out the back door essentially.

Lesson, don’t mess with Walter

Barry’s the common denominator in all of this. I mean Walters other captains were Gough, Laudrup and Weir and I can’t remember him having an issue with any of them.

Just a point on Pedro ... yes he wasted millions on the Mexicans but that money will be recouped when we sell Morelos

“Ah but Morelos was a JJ signing” ... well he may have been recommended by JJ but Pedro was the man that sanctioned the signing and took the gamble on JJ’s word so ultimately he was a Pedro signing as much as some on here won’t like to admit
One player not much. Don’t like slagging anything Rangers but he was a feckin nightmare.

Nothing more than muck raking imo , seems it’s all a big laugh now but I’d rather the likes of Halliday remembered his own abject failures during that period because I certainly do and none of it is funny.
During that period halliday was bombed out and sent to Azerbaijan.

I've been hearing the Pedro stories that Halliday has told and find them funny and immediately after the sadness floods that we actually went there in the first place.

Such a bonkers appointment.
Those that appointed Pedro are still there, that’s the scary thing!!

Halliday is 2 minutes out the door at Rangers and already talking shite on podcasts and Snyde.
There wasnt many chapping Andys door to sign him.
2 year deal at a championship club.
How the hell did we hold onto him for so long beats me. Far worse than docherty and mcrorie.

I'll say this, that clip right there is why Ferguson should never ever be near our club in coaching capacity.

A guy who cannot be trusted.
I think it’s more that he’s an old school type of character and manager who hasn’t embraced the modern game. Watching him there, he lacks the presence and the roundedness of a modern coach and manager.

There is and was a clear lack of respect for both PLG and Perdo from Ferguson. Would that be because they were foreign and BF didn’t know how to adapt to these guys, or was it because the foreigners wouldn’t adapt to us?

Barry more or less said why he didn't respect them. They didn't understand Scottish football and neither of them seemed arsed to learn anything about it prior to joining. To be honest, I can sort of understand that, why would you take a job like Rangers on without actually trying to get an idea of what you were walking into? Contrast that to Advocaat, who did months worth of research on the job he was inheriting from Walter. So much so, he was the one who insisted that we kept a hold of Barry Ferguson because he'd scouted our reserves at the time and wanted to work with Ferguson.

When Pedro started talking about phases of play, I though %^*& here we go. I could just see us playing the park the bus opportunists like St Johnstone or Kilmarnock and him thinking that was going to happen in Scottish football. Unfortunately I think he spouted that pish straight out the manual at his first press conference. I don't think he ever got what was expected of him at Ibrox, he was another Le Guen.

If it looks like quality it usually is, if it looks like shite then it usually is. Compared to current standards Pedro and Halliday have something in common, they were both not good enough.

For the record, Pedro was a disaster for us and set us back a couple of years but I blame the board for that more than I do Pedro as they took the ridiculous and unnecessary gamble on him

This every day of the week .

Can still see the Daily Rhebel back page and Stuart Robertson's quote on Pedro's appointment that the club had scoured the World to find the best appointment possible. I was at lunch at the time with 3 fellow Bears, not only could we honestly say we'd never heard of the guy, we couldn't say his bloody surname.

A joke of a signing but ultimately it lead on to SG, and apart from a blip after the Livi result, I have always felt given time SG and his backroom would prove to be fantastic appointments.

This every day of the week .

Can still see the Daily Rhebel back page and Stuart Robertson's quote on Pedro's appointment that the club had scoured the World to find the best appointment possible. I was at lunch at the time with 3 fellow Bears, not only could we honestly say we'd never heard of the guy, we couldn't say his bloody surname.

A joke of a signing but ultimately it lead on to SG, and apart from a blip after the Livi result, I have always felt given time SG and his backroom would prove to be fantastic appointments.

it wouldn’t be the first time Robertson’s taken us for mugs. When the club put all their eggs in the McInnes basket and he subsequently shat out of taking the job, Robertson then got in front of the cameras to assure us Murty was getting the job because they’d been so impressed with him and he was the best man for the job. Of course he was Stuart, it wasnt a panic appointment and nothing to do with banking on McInnes taking it and having no backup plan.

Only on FF would they take the side of a charlatan like Pedro over someone like Halliday who was praised massively for how he turned his career around at us, through sheer hard work.

I don’t care if Pedro tries his hardest, he was an utter disgrace as a manager. Spending millions of pounds on a drunk midfielder, and a striker who probably seen more Scottish monuments when he was hear than he actually made appearances.

If they were being disrespectful towards a proper rangers manager then fair enough but towards Pedro, nah he was awful. And before anyone says about Ferguson disrespecting Le Guen and Walter, I know he did and he was rightly criticised and punished for it.

Only on FF would they take the side of a charlatan like Pedro over someone like Halliday who was praised massively for how he turned his career around at us, through sheer hard work.

I don’t care if Pedro tries his hardest, he was an utter disgrace as a manager. Spending millions of pounds on a drunk midfielder, and a striker who probably seen more Scottish monuments when he was hear than he actually made appearances.

If they were being disrespectful towards a proper Rangers manager then fair enough but towards Pedro, nah he was awful. And before anyone says about Ferguson disrespecting Le Guen and Walter, I know he did and he was rightly criticised and punished for it.
On what planet does Pedro being a crap manager make it acceptable to talk about him in that manner?

And what did Halliday do to turn his career around? He was generally a sub at best in Gerrards team and largely way below par for the majority of his time here, I think everyone knows if he wasn’t one of us he’d have been out the door a lot quicker than he was. He generally comes across well and as being a very likeable guy, my opinion on that hasnt changed, but that video shows a lack of class and acknowledging so doesn’t mean anyone is turning on Halliday. Although you do speak of Halliday as if he was something more than a bit part player in a decent side and a prominent player in a woeful side that was humiliated umpteen times and achieved no success.

Having listened to the show tonight I don’t get the hysteria in here. Perhaps not the most professional media displays from Barry and Andy but that’s what makes the Open Goal shows entertaining, they’re informal. I don’t think Barry said much wrong and certainly wasn’t driving the conversation, simply said how things went between him and Pedro when asked and I don’t think he overstepped the mark.

For what it’s worth I think Barry is a good bet for manager one day. He’s stated that part-time at Kelty suits his life just now and perhaps in the future he’ll look to take management a bit more seriously and at a higher level. Strikes me as someone who is enjoying family life now but knows he has a long managerial career ahead of him and is in no rush. Eventually a club will make an offer that will make him take that step and we’ll see how it goes from there. I grew up watching Barry grab games by the neck and drag our team to league wins, just a matter of time before he does it as our manager IMO.

Could have at least refrained from calling the man a cvnt, he might be regretting it now, we all say things we wish we hadn't but in my case at least, it wasn't recorded for all time.

Maybe Halliday is the type of bloke who doesn't give a fk what others think right enough.

Back