Ricky Foster saying Balogun went to ground too easy for the penalty

Just opened this .... I watched this morning and he clearly said it was pen? He also said the same on the radio with Billy Dodds.

Why are people so raging? We won 4-0 and people are making stories up so they can call a former player a pr!ck.

Foster has been really respectful to us in the media and gave us plenty of credit. No issues with him even if he is a yes voter.

There’s always pushing and pulling in the box but if anybody is going to put their hands high and grab around the shoulders then they are in trouble

It was a soft penalty. But it was a penalty, as was the one on Roofe in the first half.

It's either a penalty or not. Decapitation is not a requirement!!!!

A direct free kick is awarded when a player:
  • Kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
  • Trips or attempts to trip an opponent
  • Jumps at an opponent
  • Charges an opponent
  • Strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
  • Pushes an opponent
  • Tackles an opponent
  • Holds an opponent
  • Spits at an opponent
  • Handles the ball deliberately
If any of these are fouls are committed by a player in their team’s penalty area, the opposing team is awarded a penalty kick.

It's crazy the abuse Foster takes on here. He has been very positive about Rangers every time he has been on Sportscene. Here is what he actually said, and the context in which he said it.

ST: "Was this a penalty for you?"
RF: "Yeh I think it is. He drags him back."
ST: "It's in the soft category"
RF: "It is, but I think big andy..he gets the wrong side of him. So he just kind of puts his arms on him. He does go down easily but..
MS: "Soft or hard it's still a pen"
RF: "Yeh it's still a pen."
In another thread he was taken out of context again about tavs defending. He had basically said along the lines of tav was better going forward than out and out defending and that he was even cutting out those small mistakes. Him and Stewart both said that the way we are playing just now nobody sees much of us defending and that if we continue to play like this nobody can match us. A telling comment from Stewart was no other team in Scottish football could hit the heights we are at the moment.

They should have said to their preferred audience "It definitely wasn't a penalty"

Just to wind them up and send them into meltdown.

He literally said on numerous occasions it was defo a pen, him and Stewart both said that, they were also very complimentary about us.

I dont get this need to appear to get offended by everything on here.

He also talked about the non penalty was a joke of a decision.

We moan that pundits dont give us praise, they give us praise and then some people feel they need to pretend said pundit is being negative.

We won, they said we actually deserved more goals. No issue.
This all over.

There’s a time to criticise sportscene and the likes and we need to choose wisely, save looking like the boy who cried wolf every week.

Their comments on our performance last night certainly isn’t one of those times - nothing they said was controversial and were actually very complimentary towards us. Albeit they have no choice at the moment.

There's just so much nonsense talked about soft to stonewall penalties.

In bygone days of yore you got a penalty when somebody halfed you in the penalty area. A defender could save the ball on the goal line with his hands without being sent off.

Nowadays it is considered 'clever' to 'invite contact' and then take a flyer. There was contact so he was 'entitled to go down', aye like you've been hit by a sniper..

Then it's 'he went down too easily'.

And we mustn't forget the out and out divers.

Yesterday was as sound a penalty decision as you'll see. Pulled back with two hands. Balogun didn't even need to go down for that to be a penalty.

Compare it to Katic’s grab on Jullien‘s shirt last season. Nobody quibbled about the award then. This was much more blatant. One hand on a shoulder the other around the waist then a pull back. Stonewaller.

It's crazy the abuse Foster takes on here. He has been very positive about Rangers every time he has been on Sportscene. Here is what he actually said, and the context in which he said it.

RF: "It is, but I think big andy..he gets the wrong side of him. So he just kind of puts his arms on him. He does go down easily but..
Absolutely spot on some posters on here can't wait to have a go at him for some misguided reason,even to the point of deliberately twisting what he actually said.IMO he speaks well of us and always gives balanced views.

Of course that penalty denied the sheep the opportunity go and bang in three goals and beat us. Aye right "Dick" Foster.

The abuse that Ricky Foster takes, who is as bluenosed as any on here, on various threads is a disgrace.

His politics is a convenient stick to beat him with. I mean, has he publicly stated that he is anti-monarchy or something similar to warrant getting it so tight? If so, it’s news to me.

Fair enough if you didn’t rate him as a player but the guy supports the same team that we all do ffs!

Foster Stewart and Thompson were praising us to the hilt last night. Said we looked likely to extend our lead and no one will get close to Gers the way were playing.

I don't think he was even looking for a Penalty, he just went down cause he was pulled. He didn't even claim for it

The Aberdeen player had two hands on his shoulders pulling him down :D
I may be a little late to this thread but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Ricky Foster can FK off. The day any Rangers fan values his opinion, is the day we shut down the club. Never.

One of the absolute WORST signings we ever made. An absolute joke of a player and light years from the standard our club demands.

Pathetic.

The fact is that Foster was nothing but positive about us, never had a bad thing to say.
Anyone that heard different then I worry what your life must be like.

I may be a little late to this thread but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Ricky Foster can FK off. The day any Rangers fan values his opinion, is the day we shut down the club. Never.

One of the absolute WORST signings we ever made. An absolute joke of a player and light years from the standard our club demands.

Pathetic.
So Walter Smith doesn’t know anything about signing players by that logic?

There have been several players signed over the last forty years who were significantly worse than Ricky Foster. Was he Rangers class? As it turned out, no. But his chances of achieving that were hamstrung as everyone had already made their minds up that he was useless before he kicked a ball.

He wasn’t nearly half as bad as some make out. You don’t play out of your skin against a side like Valencia in the CL if you are a complete diddy.

There's just so much nonsense talked about soft to stonewall penalties.

In bygone days of yore you got a penalty when somebody halfed you in the penalty area. A defender could save the ball on the goal line with his hands without being sent off.

Nowadays it is considered 'clever' to 'invite contact' and then take a flyer. There was contact so he was 'entitled to go down', aye like you've been hit by a sniper..

Then it's 'he went down too easily'.

And we mustn't forget the out and out divers.

Yesterday was as sound a penalty decision as you'll see. Pulled back with two hands. Balogun didn't even need to go down for that to be a penalty.

Yes, it’s a really annoying phrase.

It was technically a penalty, as was the one on Roofe first half.

We had at least a claim for another one too.

So Walter Smith doesn’t know anything about signing players by that logic?

There have been several players signed over the last forty years who were significantly worse than Ricky Foster. Was he Rangers class? As it turned out, no. But his chances of achieving that were hamstrung as everyone had already made their minds up that he was useless before he kicked a ball.

He wasn’t nearly half as bad as some make out. You don’t play out of your skin against a side like Valencia in the CL if you are a complete diddy.
Fair enuff. All about opinions, man.

But in 40 yrs of watching Rangers, he is genuinely one of the worst I've seen. All good, man.

But in 40 yrs of watching Rangers, he is genuinely one of the worst I've seen. All good, man.
Sure thing mate. As you say it’s all about opinions - we are all entitled to one regardless of if we are right, wrong or somewhere in between.

Remember the penalty in the OF game last season for Katic pulling Julien?

There was very little made about that being "soft". Actually never heard it said once in the media.

There was far more contact on Balogun, Katic had a pull at the boys shirt but was also being held prior to that.

When did a rugby tackle become a soft penalty in football? :confused:

It was an absolute stonewaller right in front of the referee complete idiotic defending from the dancing queen Considine.

I’d agree with that, as a player he was dreadful. And he looks like a fud.
But he is actually being pretty complimentary about us these days.

As is Michael Stewart, which must tear him apart inside!

Was never Foster's biggest fan when he played for us, but fail to understand the hatred towards him. He gave his all for the club and from what I can see he is being a fair and measured pundit on Sportscene.

We have enough real enemies and people who hate us without having to go looking for them - people need to lighten up.

This would be the same commentary Ricky Foster said he was a Rangers fan and thought we would go on to win the league.

Some of you guys need a day off, seriously.

You moan about "Celtic-minded" pundits everywhere and when you have a self-confessed Rangers fan on you moan about him as well.

His wife, who's also still bigging up Rangers by the way, gets slagged off 24/7 as well.

We've real enemies out there but some would rather still have a go at our own.

What Rangers fan calls other fans huns? Not a Rangers fan in my eyes and how can a nationalist supporting rat support a club that holds traditionally British values she votes for the enemy and everything the majority of us stand for.

bollocks indeed.
Anyone Everyone.

Said it on here several times every decision we get is soft/wrong.Gallagher(ex ref) Stewart,Thomson,Walker,Sutton add any others you want.Didnt hear any debate on any of the programmes regarding the penalty Hibs should have got against Celtic.I love their pain and when we win 55 it will break a few of them for good.

Was me mate.

It was a stick on the ref would know at HT he made a howler and would give something to gloss over it.
When the game was finished he thinks that is his get out of jail card.We as a club should be calling him out.F**k he was looking straight at the foul on Roofe no way can he not have seen that.

I would normally say religion or politics has no place, but yes you cannot be a Rangers supporter and vote SNP sorry
Does that stand for being black or Chinese or Muslim or Transgender? Or is that also the case for Labour voters, catholics, Jehovah’s witnesses or Belgians?
Can you give me a list of acceptable traits for ‘allowing’ others to support our team?
Here’s me thinking the other lot were the bigots.
By the way, I’m none of the above, but I don’t think politics, race, nationality or religion should have any bearing on my support for our club.

It was laughably soft tbh. If that was giving against us FF would be screaming cheat. I think it was a pen but would not really have batted an eye lid if it wasn't given. The one on Roofe was a stone-waller, zero argument there.

It was laughably soft tbh. If that was giving against us FF would be screaming cheat. I think it was a pen but would not really have batted an eye lid if it wasn't given. The one on Roofe was a stone-waller, zero argument there.
There was a shirt pull initially followed by a pull back on the shoulder that's laughably soft?

Not worth taking his points on board. He's a complete fanny.

The player was all over Balogun and in every single league in the world that was a penalty. So was the one on Roofe and possibly the handball later on in the game. Aberdeen got off very lucky penalty wise yesterday. Foster doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

So, it wasn't soft at all either. It was a straight up stone wall penalty. In fact, what the Aberdeen player was doing was ridiculous and if McInnes was any kind of manager at all he'd volley his stones for being so stupid in the box. Gone are the days where you can do what you like against Rangers.

How are people still having a go after it’s been clearly established the OP left out 90% of what he actually said lol.

This place is mental.

This would be the same commentary Ricky Foster said he was a Rangers fan and thought we would go on to win the league.

Some of you guys need a day off, seriously.

You moan about "Celtic-minded" pundits everywhere and when you have a self-confessed Rangers fan on you moan about him as well.

His wife, who's also still bigging up Rangers by the way, gets slagged off 24/7 as well.

We've real enemies out there but some would rather still have a go at our own.
Its embarrassing when you see some of the comments Amy Mcdonald gets on twitter from bears, total Cringe.
Foster gave 110% for us, he also gave 110% when he played against us, which folk weirdly dont like.
He never once said the penalty was soft.

Back