The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Why are Aberdeen fans suddenly thinking they are getting McCrorie for free?

The agreed fee is £350,000. The only possible thing would be £50k off the fee if we take Wright now.

Good thread below on Wright for those interested in stats.

There is real talent there, and his skillset gives him a much higher ceiling than Hastie & Jones. Look forward to see how we develop him.

Good read there mate. Looks like he's clearly got attributes that can be worked on and improved further - needs a bit of luck on the injury front.

The management team have already shown they can take players to the next level and above; Tav, Goldson, Barišić, Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Jack to name a few.

Reactions: cav
Nothing in that post adds up to them getting a decent wedge.

25m is fairytale stuff.

probably the first time I’ve seen two premiership clubs interested in a striker and the selling club declaring they’re willing to knock 15m off the price. How generous of them.
Probably desperate to get him off the wage bill as well,he must be on a fair whack.

Frog Eddie is 11.5 months away from being able to sign a pre-contract on a free.

If he doesn't go by the summer they are getting nothing for him.

Remember PSG also have a reported 40% sell on fee for Edouard so they could end up breaking even due to the contract situation.

Scott Wright is too old for me. Not good enough imo.

We absolutely need Scottish players but I think we need to get them earlier and as cheap as possible. Doig at Hibs is someone we should consider.

We absolutely need Scottish players but I think we need to get them earlier and as cheap as possible. Doig at Hibs is someone we should consider.
Wright has just turned 23, that’s still young & as I said he has missed a lot of development so in football terms he isn’t 23 as of yet.

This isn’t signing 29 year old journeyman Greg Stewart, it’s a young player with potential who we can acquire cheap & develop.

Put it this way, I reckon we can get a decent fee for Jones from a club down south. We sell Jones for said certain fee, then bring Wright in & it’s great business.

FWIW I mentioned I liked Doig earlier in the season, I’d imagine 10s of young guys in Scotland like him & McCann are being watched.

His progression over last 3 seasons is clear from the stats. Add in the SG factor and the price and its worth a punt. Upgrade over Greg Stewart.

Arsenal target Odsonne Edouard also watched by Leicester as Celtic slash asking price​

Both Leicester and Arsenal have been handed a recent boost in the chase for Edouard, with Celtic lowering their asking price by a staggering £15m as they look to speed up his departure from the club.

Football Insider has claimed that the Hoops are now willing to accept a bid in the region of £25m for the forward this month, after conceding that they are unlikely to command a club-record fee given their lack of success this season.

B-)B-DB-)B-D

If Wright is to replace Barker and he moves on then I’m ok with it, we’ve done well with Bosmans and if Stevie G is personally phoning McInnes then he clearly wants the guy so he’ll need to come and kick on, if not we’re only out his wages. We need to be improving the starting 11 from this position of strength, might need to wait till the summer for that but I live in hope. I’m sure Wilson could have a Hagi type deal up his sleave for the end of the month!

If Wright is to replace Barker and he moves on then I’m ok with it, we’ve done well with Bosmans and if Stevie G is personally phoning McInnes then he clearly wants the guy so he’ll need to come and kick on, if not we’re only out his wages. We need to be improving the starting 11 from this position of strength, might need to wait till the summer for that but I live in hope. I’m sure Wilson could have a Hagi type deal up his sleave for the end of the month!
Barker has a part to play as Gerrard has shown. It’ll be Jones or Stewart away

Doig at Hibs is only 18 & for me has great potential.

Watched him on Monday & he was excellent first 45 minutes K.
Yeah but they would want decent cash for him. I think we need to be picking up this young Scottish players younger so we can give them better coaching for longer in their development.

My worry with Wright is that his development has been hampered a lot by working under McInnes and injury - and that 23 is too late to fix it.

Already have young LB in Bassey. If we sell Borna this summer we need a mid 20s player to replace him imo. Doig is a prospect though.
We need to start hoovering up younger Scottish players in this league as much as we feasibly can now that we are on top again.

They did it for years with Christie and the like which worked well for them.

Can’t see the lazy Frenchman leaving this month. His value is decreasing each day

When you consider how much we've all been saying Morelos has been hugely off form all season due to his poor goal return, Eduoard has 2 fewer outfield goals (although has scored 3 pens) with 3 of his goals coming on the first game of the season.

He's got the fatal combination of 1. A rapid nose-dive in contribution and form, 2. Desperation to leave and 3. Quickly approaching that treacherous final year of his contract.

The talk of ~£25m is absolutely pathetic.

Yeah but they would want decent cash for him. I think we need to be picking up this young Scottish players younger so we can give them better coaching for longer in their development.

My worry with Wright is that his development has been hampered a lot by working under McInnes and injury - and that 23 is too late to fix it.
Jack was slightly older when he signed was he not? Jack is now so far superior than the boy we signed it's almost untrue imo. Decent players with good training and surrounded by better players higher standards will improve.

Agree, getting them younger would absolutely be right mate. With COVID you don’t know just never know how tight their finances are, so it may be worth a cheeky offer ?

I have no strong thought on Wright. I’ll support him & hope he proves SG correct mate.

Ye mate seems legit point the prob is you can’t pick up all the players in the nation though and also our current regime begun fairly recently so SW as an example would have been too early .

doig does look good yeah but we have a fine LB too in the squad plus James maxwell who has come on a ton and is on-loan at QoS

Always thought Wright was a decent player. He just needs a manager who can make him better and far better players around him. Hes a no risk transfer due to minimal fee or a free transfer, he is young & Scottish which we need for European games registration and has potential. It's a no brainer and a good signing as a squad player just now.

We need to start hoovering up younger Scottish players in this league as much as we feasibly can now that we are on top again.

They did it for years with Christie and the like which worked well for them.
Aye but a 18/19 year old LB for 2 million when we already have 1 that's just turned 21 isn't going to be on the potential list imo and neither it should. Bassey has similar potential maybe even more imo.

When you consider how much we've all been saying Morelos has been hugely off form all season due to his poor goal return, Eduoard has 2 fewer outfield goals (although has scored 3 pens) with 3 of his goals coming on the first game of the season.

He's got the fatal combination of 1. A rapid nose-dive in contribution and form, 2. Desperation to leave and 3. Quickly approaching that treacherous final year of his contract.

The talk of ~£25m is absolutely pathetic.
Nobody is paying fees like that in today’s market

throw in the contract situation I’d say they will be lucky to get 15m now 10m in the summer and after that %^*& all

We've today been link with Adam Reach, essentially playing the same slot as Scott Wright, and he is 27! ;-)

IN - Adam Reach (27) - England, LW/LM/LB - contr. till 6/2021 - LINK - TM

The one has bags of experience in England, the other quite a bit in Scotland as well as talent. I would assume that SG and Co. have made their homework on any potential signings.

Jones must infuriate Stevie G with his attitude. Jones has the ability to make a contribution to the side and would've allowed us to rest Kent when required. He'll kick himself in years to come when he looks back on his career.

From the small amount that I've seen of Wright, he looks a very good player. Good touch and technique with dribbling ability and pace. There is no doubt that his talents aren't suited to the Sheep who don't know how to play football. Like other posters, I think Wright will flourish with us. Our style of play and formation will suit him and he'll get top level coaching. A shrewd signing with no downside to it.

Jones must infuriate Stevie G with his attitude. Jones has the ability to make a contribution to the side and would've allowed us to rest Kent when required. He'll kick himself in years to come when he looks back on his career.

From the small amount that I've seen of Wright, he looks a very good player. Good touch and technique with dribbling ability and pace. There is no doubt that his talents aren't suited to the Sheep who don't know how to play football. Like other posters, I think Wright will flourish with us. Our style of play and formation will suit him and he'll get top level coaching. A shrewd signing with no downside to it.
I think he'd be ideal to take some of the heat away from Kent and if we can develop him along those lines then great as we need a player similar to Kent to stretch teams.

We could replace Barker, Jones and Stewart with Wright and we'd be better off. Those three just do not contribute, they barely see game time.
There is another slant to that too CC it would break the squad model if you had two less players as options . Unless it is currently over subscribed of course .

the way I understood the SW one is they will have metrics on what facets they can improve with him . Plus he should be less costly than say JJ . Given as you say we have JJ/GS/BB as possible leavers then even if just two leave that would mean an opportunity to bring in another player on a bigger salary , without our total costs increasing . and I would bet that is what will happen.

prudent business

Already have young LB in Bassey. If we sell Borna this summer we need a mid 20s player to replace him imo. Doig is a prospect though.

Craig, I do understand that, but if you think of skill sets & the way we play, Doig seems much closer to being a Borna Wing Back type than big Calvin. Big Calvin strikes me as more of a conventional full back.

In my opinion anyway.

Ye mate seems legit point the prob is you can’t pick up all the players in the nation though and also our current regime begun fairly recently so SW as an example would have been too early .

doig does look good yeah but we have a fine LB too in the squad plus James maxwell who has come on a ton and is on-loan at QoS
Maxwell looks promising. As does the likes of Kelly. Definitely got some of our own talents we could focus on.

We've today been link with Adam Reach, essentially playing the same slot as Scott Wright, and he is 27! ;-)

IN - Adam Reach (27) - England, LW/LM/LB - contr. till 6/2021 - LINK - TM

The one has bags of experience in England, the other quite a bit in Scotland as well as talent. I would assume that SG and Co. have made their homework on any potential signings.
What I mean mate it's that it's not very common that players in Scotland are going to be good enough for us in general without being developed significantly more. Which is why it's better to get them younger.

Not sure on Reach but he has played vastly more games than Wright.

EDIT: Wright has only really performed at a good level this season.

Last edited:

I feel quite confident Wright is going to surprise quite a few, after he’s settled in.

Back