Frank Lampard sacked (confirmed)

They’ve clearly seen what Martindale is doing at Livi and decided to act now before Koeman gets the tin tack and Barca come calling with a 3 year contract and a bag of smack

Nothing against Chelsea...but just don't try for Mr Gerrard....
I doubt the gaffer would manage any other club in England apart from Liverpool, but still.
Gerrard is not stupid, he is all too aware that he has a possible 20 years management ahead of him.

Why rush out of a position he is currently enjoying the fruits of his labour, along with a fantastic management team, DOF and players.

He doesn’t need to rush away from us, IMO.

There was an article when Lampard took over Chelsea, where they attempted to take the mickey out of SG at the position FL was taking up at Chelsea.

Lampard takes over as EPL big gun while Gerrard battles it out for second place in Scotland.
Media muppetry once again.

It took Gerrard til the 3rd season to get the defence 'fixed' here.
You could still see an identity with Gerrards teams though. You knew what he was trying to do on the ball and off the ball.

No idea what Lampard was trying to do. It was a mess.

I don't think Nagelsmann would go, I don't think he would go Dortmund either - know's what he is doing and wouldn't work with the people at either Club, Rangnick has taught him a hell of a lot and the pair of them are more clued up than most give them credit for.

It's just Chelsea being Chelsea. They don't let managers ride out difficult spells, there's no loyalty there whatsoever. 6 bad weeks & your out on your ear there I'm afraid, it's shocking really.
Seemed to have worked ok to me the last decade? Contrast and compare to Arsenal who showed loyalty to Wenger for too long.

I liked Chelsea from the Ron Harris and Charlie Cooke days but they are a club that epitomises everything thats wrong in English football. Never were a huge club but money sadly now rules and they are looked upon as one of the massive clubs nowadays.

It just shows you how well he played Them to get back to the EPL. His stock is ridiculously high after being at Leicester.
Agreed but I’m not sure many down south give much of a toss about Scottish football.
Yes it got Rodgers ‘noticed’ but Leicester were going through a rocky patch, and slipping away back to being a mid table at best team again.

I think it was more Rodgers previous especially with Liverpool getting them so close that got him that chance. Of course since he’s been there he’s done a great job.

Didn't do him amy harm the job he did up here but...

It took Gerrard til the 3rd season to get the defence 'fixed' here.
I’m not so sure it did, we conceded the least goals in the league last season & 18/19 we saw a huge reduction in GA from 17/18.

Obviously we have improved it ten fold this season, but defence wasn’t an issue last season.

You could still see an identity with Gerrards teams though. You knew what he was trying to do on the ball and off the ball.

No idea what Lampard was trying to do. It was a mess.
Spot on.

The more I think about it he could well be the next darkside manager.

I would hate to see it but he’ll look at how Rodgers restored his reputation there and got his return to the PL. They may also want to try and replicate what we have with Gerrard.

Hopefully Frank’s Rangers allegiances are too strong and it doesn’t materialise though and it’s all just a stupid thought in my head!

He got the job because of who he was. Mebbe next mentally challengeds manager?
Definitely hadn't done enough in management to get near the Chelsea job after a pretty ordinary season with Derby.

Think Celtic may try their luck but I can't see him going there

52887361_2256695437695835_4373955060288192512_n.jpg

Lampard and Chelsea probably over achieved last season. However, they seemed desperate to make up for missing out on a couple of transfer windows by splashing ridiculous amounts of money to try and make them top dogs again overnight. Reality is, that was never likely to happen. It was always going to take time to integrate so many big name signings into the squad / team. Personally think they'd have been better just bringing a couple in last summer, maybe one this window, then another couple next summer. Gradual improvement. It's what Liverpool did under Kopp and what we have done since Gerrard arrived. There doesn't seem to be the patience for that at Chelsea though.

I think he was the wrong appointment and wasn't ready but they gave him job so they should give him a bit more time to prove himself imo

But at the same time with the money he's spent and the squad he has, their performances show he clearly isn't ready tactically
It’s the chopping and changing that has went against him and he should have let some of the fringe players either go who performed last year or stick by them.

the team should have been built around Werner and Mount but instead he has shoe horned Abraham and Giroud in at times etc it’s just a bit of a shamble from the out side and that’s why I imagine Rafa has left China

Lampard and Chelsea probably over achieved last season. However, they seemed desperate to make up for missing out on a couple of transfer windows by splashing ridiculous amounts of money to try and make them top dogs again overnight. Reality is, that was never likely to happen. It was always going to take time to integrate so many big name signings into the squad / team. Personally think they'd have been better just bringing a couple in last summer, maybe one this window, then another couple next summer. Gradual improvement. It's what Liverpool did under Kopp and what we have done since Gerrard arrived. There doesn't seem to be the patience for that at Chelsea though.
Werner and a Keeper would have done as they already had Zeyech coming so Haveryz didn’t make sense neither did Silva either and both their keepers are shit

A ridiculous club. Decent young manager who's is now suffered a set back due to his lack of experience and his employers taking the wrong (as usual) option.

Seemed to have worked ok to me the last decade? Contrast and compare to Arsenal who showed loyalty to Wenger for too long.

True, it has to a certain extent, & its why I can't criticise them too much, but I don't think I'd like my club to operate that way down south.

There is also a massive gap in between what Arsenal's loyalty with Wenger & how Chelsea treat managers. There is a happy medium in there.

If Rodgers end of last season at Leicester happened at Chelsea for instance he'd be out a job no questions asked.

Tuchel is a surprising choice. Decent enough for Borussia, nothing special. Easy to win the French league when you have Neymar and Mbappe up front. Think he’ll struggle big time in the Prem. I’d have thought the safer bet and better manager would be to get Max Allegri in.

An absolute disgrace. When you take a chance with a manger you have to give them 3 years now a days. Klopp won nothing for years at Liverpool then when he had his team they were unstoppable.

Tuchel is a surprising choice. Decent enough for Borussia, nothing special. Easy to win the French league when you have Neymar and Mbappe up front. Think he’ll struggle big time in the Prem. I’d have thought the safer bet and better manager would be to get Max Allegri in.
Totally agree about Tuchel. Not sure if true but ive read that Allegri just doesn't fancy going to England

The Atheltic saying they tried to give it Ralf Rangnick till end of season, but he knocked it back. Also sounded out Nagelsmann before going for Tuchel.

As said earlier on the thread, they were clearly going for a German to try and get the best out of the two big summer signings.

Seems to have went wrong for Lampard as soon as he was allowed to buy. Shame as I like him but I'm sure he'll do okay in life

Tell you what. All rivalry aside, Lampard to Celtic would be HUGE for Scottish football.

Could you imagine the coverage downsouth with Lampard vs Gerrard?!

Plus its quite clear Gerrards better and will cost the parasitic tics on our belly a fortune!

But English media would cream themselves at the prospect!

Tuchel is an interesting appointment given that the general consensus outside looking in is that he fell out with the hierarchy at both Dortmund and PSG and can be difficult to work with.

Good coach right enough and likely to have a good shot at maximising Havertz and Werner’s talents.

I get why people act all up in arms whenever Chelsea chop and change but rightly or wrongly it is just the way they operate, all told it has been a fairly successful strategy for them in the last couple of decades.

Lampard is popular on this forum, hence the “poor decision, he needs time” rhetoric.

Reality is he’s failing badly and just saying “look at OGS” isn’t enough. For what it’s worth, I don’t think he’ll win anything at Man Utd either

He's undoubtedly made errors, particularly defensively, however for me giving a guy who's in his third year of management £200m to spend on players with egos bigger than the Thames, and expecting him to not only manage them but gel them all together, was naive at best by Chelsea.

The Atheltic saying they tried to give it Ralf Rangnick till end of season, but he knocked it back. Also sounded out Nagelsmann before going for Tuchel.

As said earlier on the thread, they were clearly going for a German to try and get the best out of the two big summer signings.
They have bigger problems elsewhere there defence is weak, they need someone decent beside Kante and they need to get a formation and set of tactics to suit the players they have.

To spend that amount in the summer and come away several months later effectively in a worse off position is criminal.

He should never have left Derby but that's easy for everyone else to say.

I hope he gets a decent gig somewhere and rebuild his reputation and learn his trade.

Back