Frank Lampard sacked (confirmed)

What’s the average tenure of a Chelsea manager since Abramovich has been in charge ?

I’ve no particular love for Chelsea, but just feel sorry for Frank.

Saying that, they've struggled lately and I heard one of the TalkSport presenters/guests on Friday lunchtime say that he’s made some mystifying team selections and something about sending a young lad out on loan to AC (I think?) who had previously done well in the team. The point being how could he been good enough to go there and not get into the Chelsea match day squad at all.

The EPL you get no time at all, and with Abramovich around usually a lot less time too.

Did he step up too early, maybe another season at Derby would have been better?
But it was never a job he could turn down.
Best of luck Frank.

As a Chelsea man myself I love Lampard but was always of the opinion he was offered that job too soon.
Same as myself, nothing against the man as hes a club legend but sometimes the job in hand is just abit too big to handle!

Saying that, they've struggled lately and I heard one of the TalkSport presenters/guests on Friday lunchtime say that he’s made some mystifying team selections and something about sending a young lad out on loan to AC (I think?) who had previously done well in the team. The point being how could he been good enough to go there and not get into the Chelsea match day squad at all.

The EPL you get no time at all, and with Abramovich around usually a lot less time too.
Tomori is on loan to Milan, option to buy for €30M which is good business for both parties IMO.

I thought the signings of Havertz and Werner were really good signings in all honesty.

Both have been absolute dug shite though.
Think probably everyone would have thought the same thing.

Havertz seemed a no brainer, he looked every bit to be a generational talent. For someone at his age to be dominating games in the Bundesliga was impressive, I don't think there's quite the jump in quality between the leagues that everyone down there thinks but he's looked a little lost.

I'd expect Werner to come good eventually but yesterday probably summed things up, given a fairly no pressure penalty to try and get himself a goal and fluffed it. Even seeing his reaction shows he's struggling big time.

I suppose there was two ways of looking at it really.

1) Signed some cracking players that will take time to find their feet - that was always likely to happen.

2) I suppose when you are given several hundred million quid to improve the team you better do just that.

Will be a great gig for somebody - I think they maybe need a bit of steel added to their starting 11 and they will really kick on.

Lampard knows better than anybody what Chelsea are like, if he thought he was going to get 2 or 3 seasons to build a team then he’s deluded

Topped their Champions League Group, still in the FA Cup, but had a poor run of league games after an excellent start.

Unless there was something very, very wrong that couldn't be fixed between internal relationships, then it looks like a poor decision. Building a squad that can challenge, as we have seen, is not a one year job.

I don't think celtic could afford Lampard, I guess it depends on their specific contract but typically when a manager is 'sacked' they keep getting paid their wages by the club sacking them until their contract runs out, they don't get a lump sum of all their remaining salary leaving them free to join another club.

Lampard still has about a year and a half left on his contract and he is said to be on a salary of about £100k per week, if 'sacked' managers take a new job before their old contact expires they lose all the money they would have received from their old club.

If Lampard took the celtic job now he would lose the remaining £7.5m Chelsea are due to pay him, celtic would probably have to give him a signing on fee around that amount just to consider the job, on top of his high salary demands.

Last edited:
Tomori is on loan to Milan, option to buy for €30M which is good business for both parties IMO.
Thanks. I know nothing about the lad to be honest, but that TalkSport guy couldn’t understand how a guy could play for AC Milan, after doing so well for Chelsea in the run of games he played, and then disappear from the match day squad completely. I think he also mentioned Rudiger as someone he couldn’t believe was getting a game instead.

He was offered the job too soon into his managerial career, maybe should have gotten some more experience before taking it but if Chelsea come calling how do you knock them back? Especially a Chelsea legend, good luck to him.

They have a huge number of players out on loan, guys you'd never know still played for the club like Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Moses and Drinkwater. Even that guy Van Ginkel is out on loan having signed in 2013 and barely played a game for them.

The AC player is Tomori I think, he was decent enough last season but felt some of the buzz was probably down to surprise factor that he'd come from nowhere to be decent.

Someone did tell me that Chelsea turn some profit on all these young players they sign and loan out and eventually punt for 5-10m. Probably know they're never going to get near the first team and are signed simply to sell on

He was doing better when he wasn’t allowed to buy anyone, but now the team look disjointed. West Ham on the Merry-go-round next for Frank, or Palace, maybe?
They Scottish MSM will be touting Frank for the paedodome to have a Gerrard v Lampard battle!!!

People saying he should've waited a year. The chance may have, and probably would've, passed him by.

If Rangers came into your work tomorrow and offered you the job, you aren't gonna say "let me go do my badges first and come back in a couple years once I've managed Motherwell."

While it's a massive gig for anybody in football, the Chelsea job also has to be a very hard shift as well. Basically it's instant success or you're out. Lampard did get a lot of resource to fire into the team at the start of this season but quite often players need time to bed in. Abramovic looks to me as if he is just not prepared to wait for that.

The right decision. The team have went backwards in terms of performances. People can blame the players like Werner and Havertz but a more experienced manager would maybe have helped them settle in quicker or at least fixed it quicker.

Lampard had no idea of his best team. Far too much chopping and changing

Taking the Chelsea job at that stage in his managerial career was always a big ask. A few more years at Derby County would've been more beneficial, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

From Lampard's point of view, perhaps he wssn't ready; should he have stayed longer at Derby, for instance?
Definitely, another season at Derby would have given him more experience without the pressure
I've no doubt Lampard will be a top manager at some point.
The Chelsea job came too soon for him.

Chelsea have always been a massive political club, & Lampard knew that more than most.

According to The Athletic, out of all Chelsea's summer deals, only Chilwell was the 1 he actively pushed for.

Chelsea players also have a way of downing tools when things aren't going there way, & that's a culture that Lampard was hoping to change long term. Obviously he never got anywhere near close to the time, but that's a worrying habit that the players have that power & they are the ones that always get backed.

What’s the point in appointing an inexperienced manager then sacking him as soon as he has a bad spell?

Suggests he should never have been appointed if they are not prepared to let him learn from his mistakes

People saying he should've waited a year. The chance may have, and probably would've, passed him by.

If Rangers came into your work tomorrow and offered you the job, you aren't gonna say "let me go do my badges first and come back in a couple years once I've managed Motherwell."

But as someone said earlier.

The Chelsea job would come up every 2/3 seasons.

Back