Liverpool V West Brom

Moaning to the ref about VAR or requesting a review should be an automatic yellow. It's half time and players are still moaning about it by the look of it.

The ‘hand signal’ is supposed to be in the same category as the ‘where’s the card’ gesture - a yellow card offence.

Refs aren’t enforcing it though and players are predictably taking the piss. Robson-Kanu was telling the ref to look at it after he went down in a completely innocuous incident with a hamstring injury ffs!

There should be a tennis challenge rule system I reckon where each team should have 5 maybe less chances to question the decision. I’m not a fan of this new system at all, ruining the flow of the game.

Wouldn't introducing upto 10 challenges only affect the flow of the game even more? Who decides when to challenge, the manager, captain, any team member?

I think it would be open to abuse and used to break up the game when a team is dominating play.

The ‘hand signal’ is supposed to be in the same category as the ‘where’s the card’ gesture - a yellow card offence.

Refs aren’t enforcing it though and players are predictably taking the piss. Robson-Kanu was telling the ref to look at it after he went down in a completely innocuous incident with a hamstring injury ffs!
I got the feeling Kanu was being sarcastic with it.

Welcome to North American sports guys.
It will drive you crazy.More And more people
over here are PVRing sports and cutting
out all the stoppages.Surely to god the
EPL will not take this route,or you will
be forced to take a packed lunch with you
to every game.

I doubt it will ever come into scottish football due to the cost so hopefully we wont get it.

to every game.
Someone in work was asking me about the NFL the other week and came onto how long a game lasts.

"60 minutes, split into 4 quarters."

"Oh, only an hour. That's quite quick."

"No, the match takes about 3 hours from start to finish."

"How does it take so long?"

"Well..........."

I think each team should be allowed 3 challenges each and they can challenge any decision they think is wrong. The captain is the only person that can challenge it but his teammates can advise him(obviously) and the clock gets stopped at every challenge.

Someone in work was asking me about the NFL the other week and came onto how long a game lasts.

"Well..........."
Completely different game though, the stop start of the clock is not down to the refs

And at least you actually get more minutes of play unlike in football when the clock keeps running all the time

Well it means they cant complain for it to be used for every incident, like they do in tennis and cricket.
So then what happens if there's another 10 in the 2nd half? Who makes the decision to appeal? How quickly? You can't just say 3 a match and no more at this stage.

Do they get the appeal back if they're right like they do in cricket and tennis?

So then what happens if there's another 10 in the 2nd half? Who makes the decision to appeal? How quickly? You can't just say 3 a match and no more at this stage.

Do they get the appeal back if they're right like they do in cricket and tennis?
Chill out mate

They just mentioned the var meant total of 5mins delay in game
Also 2 subs
Also 3 goals

Only 4 mins of injury time...

to every game.
The total first half delay was a whopping 5 minutes.

Completely different game though, the stop start of the clock is not down to the refs

And at least you actually get more minutes of play unlike in football when the clock keeps running all the time
I was specifically referencing it to refs reviewing plays or giving fouls, like VAR is going to be used for. They need to find a formula that works to the sport. If you get 2 quick decisions it'll take 5 minutes out and can kill the flow.

NFL is a completely different dynamic but if you get a ref who sees the game a certain way, everything in the Patriots favour as per usual @Butcher6 , then the game will take longer and longer.

Really poor defensively from Liverpool in the first half. They look like they haven’t got the Swansea result out of their system. I didn’t think the stoppages have helped either. As much as the decisions have (correctly) gone in Liverpool’s favour, they broke the flow of the game for a fair spell in the first half, which ironically didn’t help Liverpool’s momentum.

Mané is still not at last season’s level.

For all you never want to lose, given the race for the top 4 and still being in the CL, it might not be the worst thing in the long run, especially if Klopp does not replace Coutinho in this window.

I was specifically referencing it to refs reviewing plays or giving fouls, like VAR is going to be used for.

NFL is a completely different dynamic but if you get a ref who sees the game a certain way, everything in the Patriots favour as per usual @Butcher6 , then the game will take longer and longer.
Haha let’s not derail the thread with Pats and @Butcher6 ;)

I initially thought putting a ‘cap’ on the number of challenges/reviews could be a solution as well but that just opens it up to people gaming the system to kill the momentum of the opposition if it’s at the behest of the coaches imo.

I initially thought putting a ‘cap’ on the number of challenges/reviews could be a solution as well but that just opens it up to people gaming the system to kill the momentum of the opposition if it’s at the behest of the coaches imo.
Yea that was my point, be it 3 5 or however many, something hs to be in place before players are moaning for it to be checked every 5 minutes.

Let's not let all this chat about VAR take anything away from what's been an excellent watch so far.

I have a feeling there is a lot more to come second half.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, sorry if it came across like that. I Was genuinely asking what your thoughts on it should be? I doubt the authorities have even given it much though.
I honestly dont know, i hate the system and havent given it a lot of thought but the idea of players surrounding the ref moaning for var to be checked is a joke.

I feel sorry for the fans, you cant even celebrate right away anymore, imagine Lovenkrands goal in the cup final for example and we have to wait to see if its given, its horrible even thinking about it.

Complete joke but thankfully for us i doubt it will ever end up here.

"Well..........."
And they reckon there is only about 12 minutes of the ball in actual play

I honestly dont know, i hate the system and havent given it a lot of thought but the idea of players surrounding the ref every moaning for var to be checked is a joke.

I feel sorry for the fans, you cant even celebrate right away anymore, imagine Lovenkrands goal in the cup final for example and we have to wait to see if its given, its horrible even thinking about it.

In NFL it's the managers decision, they get 2 and if they get it wrong they lose the challenge and have a time out taken off them as well.

I honestly dont know, i hate the system and havent given it a lot of thought but the idea of players surrounding the ref every moaning for var to be checked is a joke.

That last point is bang on. It took 1 1/2 minutes before the West Brom fans could celebrate their goal. That's shite.

In NFL it's the managers decision, they get 2 and if they get it wrong they lose the challenge and have a time out taken off them as well.
I would rather something like that, you get 2 and you have to use it for a really big decision, i still dont like it but i feel a cap has to be part of it in some capacity, im sure in time it will be better than it is now.

"Well..........."
Time outs,adverts,video reviews,and the biggest time waster of all coaches challenges.
Recording the game is the way to go today.

Back