Colorado Rapids sign Danny Wilson

Union Jack 1872

The Colorado Rapids have signed defender Danny Wilson from Scottish Premiership side Rangers, multiple league sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.

Wilson, 26, will take up an international roster spot for the MLS club pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 visa. The Scottish Sunearlier reported that Wilson was on his way to Colorado.

The signing of Wilson continues an offseason makeover by general manager Padraig Smith and new coach Anthony Hudson that has now seen eight players come on board. Wilson is the second center-back to be signed following the acquisition of Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith.

Wilson's stint with Rangers was the second of his professional career. He began his career with the Glasgow club in 2009 before moving to Liverpool in 2010. But he made just four first-team appearances with the Reds and embarked on a series of loan moves before signing permanently with Hearts in 2013.

He returned to Rangers in 2015 and made 83 league and cup appearances prior to his move to Colorado.

At international level, Wilson has made five appearances for Scotland.

Good luck to him.

He is one of the privileged few who can tell his grandchildren that he played for Rangers.

Onwards and upwards ..Good luck Danny, even though you'v left the World' most successful football Club.

I can see why he is doing this. He has been offered a better salary than we were prepared to offer him and his wife is from the US as well so its a money/lifestyle decision. I do wonder if he should have given it another year to see if he could get a really good run in the team and show the form over a year that he has for 2 months. I wish him well though.

From a Rangers point of view, i am not too upset. If he had declared he was leaving 4 months ago nobody would really have bothered. His time here has been spend playing some good games, some terrible games and a lot of time out injured. Only in the last 2 months can you say he has really played well.
I think the management will look to bring in someone better than Danny, more consistant and less injury prone as well.

Other players i would be sad to leave but i am not too bothered about this.

Onward and upwards

Tbh i was never a fan of his. Yeah he would have the occassional good game when he could be bothered but they games where few and far between.

A wasted talent imo.

Good luck to him.

No huge loss, a few impressive recent performances could make us remember him fondly but overall he want the answer.

Bates will hopefully develop into the commanding defender that Danny didnt after showing early promise.

If that’s his level of ambition then goodbye Danny, you do not fit the remit required anyway, utterly bizarre move at his age.

I'm not sure it's that bizarre to be honest. The alternative for him would likely have been the English Championship.

Disappointed with this. Had come onto a game recently and was good to hear about his leadership qualities at half time of the last OF game.

Was hoping we could tie him down on a new deal.

he was doing well recently but we need better anyway so if we replace him with a better player then it’s another step in the right direction

No bad feeling for Wilson, but he only showed up and played well prior to his renewal. As any worker he has a right to look for more money.

Agreed. His form picked up as he discussed a new deal. Very concerning for me when the change in a player is that noticeable.

I would say it the deal suited both parties. Good luck DW. Sadly you never fulfilled your potential.

Good luck to him. It’s clearly a lifestyle choice over ambition and at 26 years old and playing in Scotland with no real emotional attachment to the club I can understand it.

Good luck to him.
Will be a great lifestyle out there for him and his family.

Good luck to him. Hope it works out well. I'm not shedding any tears that he's going, but really don't understand the ill will some have shown toward the guy.

I wish him well but can't understand the move. I'll have my blue tinted specs on but WTF? maybe he likes the sunshine.

Best of luck to him, good move for both parties I think. His form has been terrific lately but over the course he has had more poor games than good ones in my view.

If he knew a deal couldn't be reached to stay at Rangers at least he was honest about it and managed to get us a fee no matter how small.

I've always been a fan of his and he has been out best centre back this season so to say he won't be missed would be a lie but best of luck to him.

In reality I think we as football fans need to think about people's personal lives.

If it was you and you got the chance to earn more money and try out a new country like America for a few years it's a once in a lifetime chance to go and earn good money which may not have been available otherwise.

He's played for Rangers twice and Liverpool so already livedlout the dream.

Football life is short so sometimes you have to make the most of what it can bring.

I say good luck to him and thanks for his efforts.

Hope the money is good Danny because when the realisation that your career is on a downward spiral at 26 and you will never play for a club as big as Rangers again kicks in you had better have something to fall back on.

Bit of a strange move to make. Good luck to him but not overly bothered by his departure.

Back