Colorado Rapids sign Danny Wilson

Given his recent form, including getting on the scoresheet a couple of times, I'd have liked him to have stayed to see if he could develop a bit more consistency. And notwithstanding Martin's arrival, with question marks about Alves's future he probably would've got the chance to. Who knows if he was capable of doing so, though.

Fair play to the lad for not creating a song and dance about not being guaranteed a starting spot or whatever and shipping out quietly. And perhaps it moves Aidan Wilson, a lad I like the look of, up the pecking order. Murty seems to know the young players well, and I don't think will be hesitant to give them a chance in the first team if it's merited.

wish him and his family all the best, no bad feeling or small club mentality from this bear, but having to answer to a manager called Padraig? #Unstaunch

All the best Danny in your new career in the USA, no hard feelings from me on him leaving our great club.

Good move for both parties in my personal opinion.

He gets more money, a better lifestyle and all the pressure that he struggles with comes off. And we get rid of a player who just isn’t good enough to be a main stay in a title winning side, as much as many have fooled into thinking he’s turned a corner by about 5 displays, two of which were friendlies.

Best of luck to him.

Strange move for a 26yr old.

Was beginning to demonstrate a real presence in the back four.

Wish him all the best.

Lifestyle choice and a right good one. Once there assuming he does fine he can apply to stay permanently. Easy choice this secessionist backwater or the USA with cash - Danny will have a few quid and be paid well there too. Totally envy the lad.

If he knew a deal couldn't be reached to stay at Rangers at least he was honest about it and managed to get us a fee no matter how small.

I've always been a fan of his and he has been out best centre back this season so to say he won't be missed would be a lie but best of luck to him.

In reality I think we as football fans need to think about people's personal lives.

If it was you and you got the chance to earn more money and try out a new country like America for a few years it's a once in a lifetime chance to go and earn good money which may not have been available otherwise.

He's played for Rangers twice and Liverpool so already livedlout the dream.

Football life is short so sometimes you have to make the most of what it can bring.

I say good luck to him and thanks for his efforts.
Very well put.

A definite case of what might have been given how good he looked alongside DW when he first broke through.
He’ll still have a good career tho.
There is still an unfair pre conception of the MLS. It’s far more challenging than the lower reaches of our league.
Absolutely no certainties that Wilson will be a success just because he played for Rangers.

Good luck to him. Even in his good spell was responsible for giving away some horrific goals with poor defending, killie away comes to mind. Good on his day, not so good off it.

Good luck tho.

He better get himself fit pronto cos he’ll be playing at altitude in Colorado. Good lifestyle move for a 26 yr old. If he does reasonably well there he could easily pick up a coaching role to extend his career. After 3 years (if it’s like Canada) he can get citizenship and a whole new life. He wasn’t a gaurenteed first choice playing for us (let’s be honest, one game in four he tended to be a bombscare) And giving up playing for Scotland is a small sacrifice for the return

In many respects, a good move for him; he'll have a great lifestyle in the States and he'll probably be a superstar at that level of soccer.

He will miss helping us winning Fifty Five though.

Part of me thinks we (and him)may regret this through time, but good luck Danny and thank you for your time here.
Shame about the low fee though even out of contract he was worth more imo he was captain of the club just a few weeks ago

I’m sure the wage cap for an international slot player is $500,000 a year. So that works out at roughly £7k a week.

It would be interesting to know what was offered to him when financially MLS is the more attractive package.

I don’t see him winning anything there anytime soon. Colorado are shite and there are so many teams that are better equipped. They’re the St Johnstone of MLS.

For me it’s a very strange move- he’s still relatively young with a lot to offer and has been playing very well of late.
For him- I suppose it’s a change of lifestyle, his wife is American and he’s no doubt getting more money.
In summary- it’s a terrible move from a professional point and a great one for him and his family.

Slightly disappointed as he had been playing well recently, but with his contract set to end, a move makes sense for club and player.
I hope we replace him.

And wish him well.

I'm sure someone on here claimed his wife is American, so it's probably a case of her wanting home more than him having aspirations to play in a footballing backwater. Disappointed that he's never fulfilled his potential, but at least he's never let his contract run down or leave on a bosman.

Only in recent months has he looked a worthy Rangers player. Before that I'd have wondered if we'd be able to sell him and get him off the wage bill, so I'm not particularly bothered.

What does bother me is that with the uncertainty surrounding Cardoso and Alves, who's injured, McCrorie injured too, the only cover we really have for Bates and Martin is Aiden Wilson. I do have high hopes for the lad but the battle is still on for 2nd and we really could do with some injuries healing soon, or signing another CB before the end of the window.

Good luck to him.

Plsyed in some good teams and some poor ones for us but upped his game recently even managing to score a few.

I quite liked him but hes not irreplaceable and nor are most in the team if im being honest.

I wish him good luck for his new adventure.

I'm not sure it's that bizarre to be honest. The alternative for him would likely have been the English Championship.
Or he could have stayed on and continue to show the same level of promise and performance he's given us over the last 6 weeks and force his way into the Scotland team. If the move is for family reasons then fair enough but if it's not then he's got a total lack of ambition.

The Colorado Rapids have signed defender Danny Wilson from Scottish Premiership side Rangers, multiple league sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.

Wilson, 26, will take up an international roster spot for the MLS club pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 visa. The Scottish Sunearlier reported that Wilson was on his way to Colorado.

The signing of Wilson continues an offseason makeover by general manager Padraig Smith and new coach Anthony Hudson that has now seen eight players come on board. Wilson is the second center-back to be signed following the acquisition of Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith.

Wilson's stint with Rangers was the second of his professional career. He began his career with the Glasgow club in 2009 before moving to Liverpool in 2010. But he made just four first-team appearances with the Reds and embarked on a series of loan moves before signing permanently with Hearts in 2013.

He returned to Rangers in 2015 and made 83 league and cup appearances prior to his move to Colorado.

At international level, Wilson has made five appearances for Scotland.
Good luck to him. I’ve been to Denver with work before. Seemed a good place. Just hope we got a fee of some kind.

Overall, he's bang on average.

When Wilson is on his game, he's solid enough, when he's off form - meh, garbage.

He isn't consistent enough. Not bothered at all that he has moved on.

Good luck to him. Still think he shouldve went to portland timbers as they need a lump of wood

Obviously negotiations broke down but can't help thinking that this is the second mistake he's made in his career.

I think he knew he wouldn't be able to cut it in the new lookRangers good luck to him i also felt he wasn't going to make it and did the right thing for him, his family and Rangers "all the best Danny"

Hope the money is good Danny because when the realisation that your career is on a downward spiral at 26 and you will never play for a club as big as Rangers again kicks in you had better have something to fall back on.
I'm sure he's well aware of what he's doing. I'm sure he's gutted about the thought of not playing Ross County four times a year in cold rainy conditions or the attraction of endangering his well being every other week against the hammer throwers in this tinpot lawless league. The American sunshine, extra money and a better lifestyle will soften the blow.

No bad feeling for Wilson, but he only showed up and played well prior to his renewal. As any worker he has a right to look for more money.
His wife will have a big say in this, plus as others have said money lifestyle and less pressure he has made a choice especially with his injuries in the past.

Good luck Danny to you and your family, hope the move goes well.

However I am a Gers fan and when someone leaves our club twice, I do question was their heart ever really here ? think that can be summed up by the up /down career you had with the Gers

Going forward very confident Mr Allen will replace with better for this position - so a win / win move for all

Colorado eh?
If there was any possible sweetener for being told that you weren't extending at Rangers it would be getting offered a move there, really good move for the lad and that'll be twice we have collected a fee for him.
Good business all round.

If the £250k fee is correct then that, along with the cash he brought in when he went to Liverpool, has been a decent return for his services.

Lifestyle choice and a right good one. Once there assuming he does fine he can apply to stay permanently. Easy choice this secessionist backwater or the USA with cash - Danny will have a few quid and be paid well there too. Totally envy the lad.

I totally understand the benefits, however at 26 there’s a helluva lot of football left in the lad.

Could understand it better if he was turning 30 & wanted to set himself up approaching the twilight of his playing days.

His choice at the end of the day but it seems a real step down IMO, in a footballing sense.

As ever no one really knows what went on behind the scenes.

Did wilson want significantly more money than he is currently on? Or did we see an opportunity to get some money for a guy with 6m left on his deal that we werent that bothered about keeping? Who knows.

I think he was handy as a squad player but too inconsistent for the 1st team. His worst attribute is his lack of pace as it doesnt allow him to escape from some of his mistakes.

I think we will need to bring another cb in (especially if alves leaves). I wouldnt be surprised if we had someone lined up which has hastened our decision to get rid of wilson.

I'm sure someone on here claimed his wife is American, so it's probably a case of her wanting home more than him having aspirations to play in a footballing backwater. Disappointed that he's never fulfilled his potential, but at least he's never let his contract run down or leave on a bosman.

Someone else claimed she was Scottish born and bred :D

Mixed feelings on this one.

Clearly a talented footballer but let down, in my opinion, by occasional lack of concentration. I felt he was a defender who wanted to be a midfielder and never really enjoyed defending. And it’s clear given his two spells at Ibrox and his two rather early departures, that his heart isnt really in it at Rangers. Talent unfulfilled in my view, always a shame.

That said, it seems he may have selected the US as his next move for family reasons and I wouldn’t criticise anyone for that. Good luck to him, I sincerely hope he does well in Colorado and am sure he will love the lifestyle.

Back