Your Tactical Voting Guide

Interesting to see how North Perthshire turns out: John Swinney vs Murdo Fraser (of the people). It's been getting tighter every year and should really be Murdo's to lose if people want shot of the SNP (and that incompetent, conniving idiot Swinney) but I fear it'll stay where it is.

SNP in the other half of Perthshire are getting desperate - up and down our street three times this past week with the mobile megaphone: "don't let the Tory in" etc. Serves the SNP right for putting a buffoon failed-farmer candidate up against a reliable local Tory list MSP who's done good things for the rural community she lives in.

Indeed, let's not discuss the Tories many failures over the last ten years, like unlawfully centralising power, failing to get rid of the deficit as promised, partitioning Northern Ireland, rising child poverty, the hostile environment, the universal credit debacle, rampant corruption and a lot of very avoidable Covid deaths.
Sir, you seem to be going out of your way to derail this thread. It was started to give guidance to those who wish to see the SNP losing seats and power in our country. All you do is come on here and slag off the tories.

Since you are obviously not a lover of the Conservative party, might it therefore be possible for you to perhaps start a Tory bashing thread and not cause confusion on here when folks are coming on looking for advice on how to vote to stop the nationalists.

Linlithgow (which includes Bathgate, Armadale, Whitburn, Greenrigg, Seafield, Blackburn).

Labour (as per Daily Mail direction) - bit of candidate into (always helps). The candidate is also a current sitting councillor who knocks her pan in for Blackburn, Whitburn and Seafield doing easily a 50 hour week whilst most other councillors do the thick end of not much.

She's also the missus, and Fiona Hyslop forking hates her - largely because she sticks it to Hyslop at every single turn.
I'm not living in the constituency anymore, but my mum's impressed with her as a councillor. She's never been a Labour voter, but she will be this time. Fingers crossed.

The Mail and Alliance for Unity are both saying Labour is best but Scotland in Union website says Tory - I’m in Clackmannanshire and Dunblane constituency.

Is it just me or does that see through shelter the STV news mob have been touring around the country with, look like a big fucking johhny.

The picture they use for Nick's mug is boak inducing.

What I can’t understand is how people can live in the country being as well off as we are in Britain and think it would be a good idea to throw it away when we have no idea how we’d be after. I can’t see how we’d possibly be better off than now, so the hope is we’d be just the same. It’s mind boggling that people would want the immediate uncertainty and possibly make their families futures much worse.
Especially after the pandemic. A gamble on Scottish independence should be the last thing on the agenda at least until things have stabilised a bit, but the SNP can't wait. Never let a crisis go to waste, as they say.

Baffles me that people don't see the parallels between Brexit and independence in terms of the practical problems each throws up. Emotionally they're different issues, but in both cases the side pushing the departure has no answers or weak answers to deadly serious questions about economics, trade and so on. It's just an attitude of "it'll be fine, don't you worry about that, we'll sort it out." The SNP don't inspire confidence, they haven't earned it, they just think they can ride a pressure campaign to victory on the back of pandering to people's desire to be part of something historic.

13.5 swing required in Inverclyde to oust the SNP is a bit of a big ask but hopefully it can be done with everyone voting Labour in the constituency vote. Here's hoping.
Get voting bears and spread the word.
Waste of time. I can't stand anything SNP related.
Wife thinks the sun shines out of Sturgeons arse...don't ask, I've fell out with her on more than one occasion due to her stubbornness.
My daughter will side with me against SNP and so will my son (1st time voter this year).

All the best over in Scotland in stopping the SNP. I have been betrayed by tories and can't stand Labour lefties but if I lived in Scotland I'd definitely be tactically voting no matter who it is.

Nothing wrong with that at all and I hope they do.

However, I've been out since 6am this morning knocking my pan in to help keep Eastwood Tory and keep the SNP scum out, yet you want the Tory vote to drop?

You couldn't fuuckin spell Union.

Oh and you'll be disappointed because the Tory vote will hold up very well, as the polls are showing.
Good on you mate.

Says Renfrewshire N & W is Con both votes.

Scotland in Union Says Labour / and any unionist party.

Tactical voting won't work with different opinions.

Waste of time. I can't stand anything SNP related.
Wife thinks the sun shines out of Sturgeons arse...don't ask, I've fell out with her on more than one occasion due to her stubbornness.
My daughter will side with me against SNP and so will my son (1st time voter this year).
My sister is in Edinburgh Central and is refusing to vote Conservative in the constituency seat. She hates the SNP and Conservatives equally but doesn’t get the point that she has to vote Tories.

Labour have no chance of getting in.

She’s that stubborn I’ve just told her to go in and vote Labour in both votes. There’s no persuading her.

Linlithgow (which includes Bathgate, Armadale, Whitburn, Greenrigg, Seafield, Blackburn).

Labour (as per Daily Mail direction) - bit of candidate into (always helps). The candidate is also a current sitting councillor who knocks her pan in for Blackburn, Whitburn and Seafield doing easily a 50 hour week whilst most other councillors do the thick end of not much.

She's also the missus, and Fiona Hyslop forking hates her - largely because she sticks it to Hyslop at every single turn.

I’m Linlithgow constituency and intend on voting for Kirsteen in the Constituency vote but the tactical vote app that Suck (and others) shared has Tory as the way to go.

So infuriating that unionism can’t take a joined up approach to elections to oust the separatists.

I’m Linlithgow constituency and intend on voting for Kirsteen in the Constituency vote but the tactical vote app that Suck (and others) shared has Tory as the way to go.

So infuriating that unionism can’t take a joined up approach to elections to oust the separatists.
Daily Mail has Labour as the way to go.

Linlithgow is a strange constituency given the spread. If Labour hadn't been an absolute mess for a few years it would be better. But in reality - Labour will be second I think.

I hope she nicks a good few votes.

Absolutely. Down here it has to be Jackie Ballie for the seat and Conservative Unionist for the Regional. No fan of Scottish Labour but to be fair, Jackie does seem to be one of the better ones in that House of secrets and lies in Edinburgh.

The galling thing in all this for me is the Greens. They will more than likely tip the balance once more. Environment is a huge vote winner, especially with the youth but not all of them voting Green on the Regional list will understand that this will be used to further the nationalist cause. Please persuade all you can from putting a tick anywhere near the Green Party, their aim is also separation first, environment second.

“Look, sir, you talk about the High Command and the Luftwaffe, and then you talk about the Gestapo and the SS. To me, they're the same! We're fighting the bloody lot! There's only one way to put it, sir: they are the common enemies of everyone who believes in freedom”

If is another repeat of the last time I’m not even voting again in Scotland a waste of time how divided unionists who refuse to vote Labour and or conservative for the greater good.

Nothing wrong with that at all and I hope they do.

However, I've been out since 6am this morning knocking my pan in to help keep Eastwood Tory and keep the SNP scum out, yet you want the Tory vote to drop?

You couldn't fuuckin spell Union.

Oh and you'll be disappointed because the Tory vote will hold up very well, as the polls are showing.
Labour are a unionist party. You can't spell union is a bit rubbish to label someone who's also voting in the right direction. The reason that a lot of Scottish people want independence is a direct response to Conservative government in the past whether you (or I or others in here) think it's merited or not.

Labour are a unionist party. You can't spell union is a bit rubbish to label someone who's also voting in the right direction. The reason that a lot of Scottish people want independence is a direct response to Conservative government in the past whether you (or I or others in here) think it's merited or not.

It's a tactical voting thread to try and defeat the SNP, yet the poster was willing a low vote for the largest Unionist party.

Whereas I want all 3 Unionist parties to do well.

You're having a pop at the wrong poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without getting into the pros and cons of voting for the Conservatives, what are the tactical voting reasons for the Mail recommending voting conservative in the list vote in every single region? Does voting for Lib Dem or Labour in the List vote not work too?

Without getting into the pros and cons of voting for the Conservatives, what are the tactical voting reasons for the Mail recommending voting conservative in the list vote in every single region? Does voting for Lib Dem or Labour in the List vote not work too?

It's a Tory paper mate and is biased to an extent.

It's constituency suggestions are pretty accurate, but on the list ballot, vote for your preference between Labour and Conservative, unless you're in the north, when Lib Dem should be your list party.

Anything else is a waste.

If everyone voted Tory on the list then that wouldn’t be good. Votes would then trickle down to parties like the Greens.

We need a good mix of Unionist parties so it’s good to get people voting for Labour on the list and the Lib Dems in other regions.

I was very, very committed to abstaining in this election. I can’t stand the pathetic devolved parliament and I resent endorsing its existance by participating. Plus the fact that the majority of the Scottish public are thick and ignorant and don’t deserve to vote.

Regardless, the cuckservatives will be getting both my votes tomorrow. They had better bloody win, or at least take seats off of the Natz and prevent a majority. I gravely fear the alternative...

Thanks for that Mark, I've voted Conservative my whole life and will now have a sleepless night with the thought of having to not vote Conservative twice.
It really sticks in my craw and makes me feel sick thinking that I have to vote for Labour first and Conservative 2nd.
I will be voting for a party full of kiddie fiddling scumbags to try and remove a party full of kiddie fiddling republicans.
Rock hard place.

Thanks for that Mark, I've voted Conservative my whole life and will now have a sleepless night with the thought of having to not vote Conservative twice.
It really sticks in my craw and makes me feel sick thinking that I have to vote for Labour first and Conservative 2nd.
I will be voting for a party full of kiddie fiddling scumbags to try and remove a party full of kiddie fiddling republicans.
Rock hard place.
Console yourself with the knowledge that in another constituency someone who has never voted Conservative is doing so, thereby you and he or she are jointly doing the right thing to rid us of the divisive infestation that is the SNP.

For those who have a problem with Conservative policies over the last ten years, which seems strange as they were in a coalition with the cuddly Lib Dems for half of that time, contrast whatever your issues are with what the SNP has subjected Scotland to. I think you will agree it’s way worse than anything you think the Conservatives have done UK wise. And remember this is an election for the super toon council it is not a General Election. It has nothing to do with what you might consider relevant for a Westminster General Election.

I’m Argyll & Bute so for me its Constituency Lib Dem and Regionail Conservative. Does that mean we vote twice the reason I’m asking is I’ve not voted in years.
You’ll get two ballot papers. One for constituency and one for regional list. From memory constituency is purple and the list is peach. You’ll want to select Lib Dem for the purple and Conservative for the list.

Remember to take your own pen, preferably black, to avoid any possible Covid risk.

On holiday just now so postal vote sent early last week.

Rutherglen labour on the constituency and Conservative list

Tory double tactically in my constituency but I can just never bring myself to vote for them.
There someone thinking the same as you in another constituency but their dilemma is that their tactical vote is Labour. You both know it is the right thing to do to rid us of the division and hate the incompetents of the SNP have visited upon us.

If everyone voted Tory on the list then that wouldn’t be good. Votes would then trickle down to parties like the Greens.

We need a good mix of Unionist parties so it’s good to get people voting for Labour on the list and the Lib Dems in other regions.
It's a Tory paper mate and is biased to an extent.

It's constituency suggestions are pretty accurate, but on the list ballot, vote for your preference between Labour and Conservative, unless you're in the north, when Lib Dem should be your list party.

Anything else is a waste.
I’ve no problem with them being biased generally but a guide on tactical voting should be clear on how the List votes work. The constituency guide is helpful but it would be counterproductive if everybody voted Tory on the list.

I’m certainly no fan of Scottish Labour historically given their links with and support of the filth but the reality is we do need a mix of unionist parties to stop the SNP.

From your user name, I’m in the same three way marginal as you so I just hope the Tories and Labour don’t cut each other’s throats and gift this shower of incompetent student politicians another constituency.

Says Renfrewshire N & W is Con both votes.

Scotland in Union Says Labour / and any unionist party.

Tactical voting won't work with different opinions.
I'm going Tory both votes but get what you mean having seen different recommendations for this week. Voted Lab last time in the constituency vote as a tactical vote and Tories took 2nd. If only it was a 2 way fight.

Unionist votes will split 3 ways again. Same as last time and they will romp through middle and claim to speak for the people of Scotland makes you sick. Unionist parties should have learned from last time and had some sort of agreement, badly letting us down.

Rock hard place.
Protecting the Union is the priority at the moment.

I’m Labour in constituency and Tory in the regional vote too.

Unionist votes will split 3 ways again. Same as last time and they will romp through middle and claim to speak for the people of Scotland makes you sick. Unionist parties should have learned from last time and had some sort of agreement, badly letting us down.

May be wrong but I’m sure the Tories did offer to stand candidates down in certain areas if Labour did the same, which they wouldn’t / couldnt.

Until unionists get their act together we will forever be stuck with a single issue nationalist party with no desire to see a devolved Scottish parliament work in the slightest.

Moved to Linlithgow recent, Labour gets my vote but a big gap to the nationalists last time out.

I would normally be Conservative and Conservative, but it will be Labour and then Conservative for tomorrow. Getting rid of the SNP has to be priority number one for us all.

My vote won’t make the slightest bit of difference in my constituency (Dundee East) but I’ll do my bit which will hopefully help!

I'm in East Ren (Giffnock)
New to the area, not 100% sure which constituency I come under from looking at that paper on phone.
What should I be voting?

I’m voting Conservative in my constituency to keep the SNP out, first time ever and I’ll be holding my nose whilst doing it. However, I will be voting Labour on the regional list despite what the fkn Mail is purporting to represent there. The more regional votes that are for Unionist parties that are not the one you vote for on the constituency vote the better, as that will prevent independence enablers like the Greens getting a list seat.

Back