The cost of failure (Man City)

Frank Burnside

With reports today that Man City are ready "to spend big" after yet another failure to win the Champions League - which was the sole reason Pep was brought to the club, I was curious how much failure costs.

The answer is £773,679,000. That's how much Pep has spent on players during his 5 seasons, add in agents fee and all the youth players they've snapped up for "undisclosed" fees and you'll looking at close to a BILLION pounds. And of course wages on top of that, but I suppose that depends whether they were payed by City or by one of the owners many companies.

Not bad going to be in the exact same position as they were before Pep took over.

Sad reflection on where football is when not winning the Champions League / European Cup is classed as "failure".
I agree but that's how the owners of Man City view it, they said from day one that they will win the Champions League. Over a decade later, they still haven't despite spending an obscene amount of money - more money than any team has ever spent.

Yes he has. He was hired explicitly to win the Champions League, he has failed to do so - including being knocked out by teams with a fraction of his budget. They were winning league titles & domestic trophies and failing in europe under Mancini & Pellegrini. Not much has changed, except the football is a bit easier on the eye.

By association alone, Guardiola has improved the club tenfold, growing the City brand and making them a far more attractive proposition to players and investors alike. This comes against a backdrop of sustained domestic success and going close in a European competition that they previously had no real pedigree in. They are now in a different place.

Will they be disappointed he hasn't won the Champions League? Yes. Does that make him a "failure"? No. Why haven't they sacked him if that's the case? They could easily afford to do so, after all.

The idea that winning the Champions League is the sole be all and end all when it comes to City's Guardiola project is completely ludicrous. The type of patter that is probably being debated on Talksport as I type this.

They are averaging losses of c.25% of their total revenues with no realistic ability to cut back nor significantly increase revenues.

It is a good job for them they don't have to operate in the real world.
Exactly....like Chelsea, PSG, and very few others the debt is just 'written off' and so the nonsense continues.

So this season alone City are the champions of England and won the League cup, hardly a failure of a season. Pep has been at the helm for 3 league titles in 5 years and several cups so this is success. The Champions League is hard to win and they reached the final, the best they have ever done. No doubt the owners want to win the Champions League, however it is a cup competition and to be the champions of your country is the most important thing. City hadn't won the league title for a few years before Pep took over. I do agree, however, with some pundits who believe he over thinks his tactics for some of the big games, not playing a holding midfielder or a centre forward in the final was an error.

I did see an article a couple of years ago detailing the money that each of the big clubs owners had put in towards transfer business since 2010 or so and City's was already over £1billion then. I always doubt the authenticity of these things as not sure how they would know but for ballpark figures it was alarming. Arsenal's figure was £0 for comparison!

Obscene amounts of money being spent by these so called super clubs
I am utterly turned off the EPL, and more often than not the Champions League, as a result of the money, the focus on money and the pride that supporters often display about the spending of money.
The amount that teams spend is a badge of honour for lots of football fans.

Some of the football on show can be stunning for sure - the first leg of the Man City/PSG match was great entertainment but in general, the football can be very cautious and even boring - look at the number of draws in fixtures between Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea in particular.

Yes he has. He was hired explicitly to win the Champions League, he has failed to do so - including being knocked out by teams with a fraction of his budget. They were winning league titles & domestic trophies and failing in europe under Mancini & Pellegrini. Not much has changed, except the football is a bit easier on the eye.

Maybe they should appoint Roberto Di Matteo? I mean, he's won the CL. Must mean he's a better gaffer than Pep....

Reactions: VGM
I wonder what if, if any trophies these so called great managers would win if the didn't have trillions too spend each year?
None I would suspect!
They are only as good as the mega rich owners toy shop?

probably the weakest champions league for years with all the "big clubs" being poor...still failed to win CL

3 titles in 4 seasons. Two doubles and a treble.

Fling in a couple of Community Shield wins as well.

Total domination of the best league in the world.

FAILURE. B-D
He was brought in to win the champions league, he has failed to do it
You don't bring him and spend fortunes just to win domestically

He was brought in to win the champions league, he has failed to do it
You don't bring him and spend fortunes just to win domestically

He still has two years to run on his contract. He could win it the next two years on the spin.

Still, I'm sure people will still find faults with him somehow.

Source?

And indulging the point slightly, if that was actually true do you really think he would still be in the position after going on 5 years of the ‘failure’ you speak of?

And if he does he will have done what he was meant to do, if he doesn't he has failed

Even if they win the EPL the next two seasons as well?

If he fails to win the CL during his time with the club, he will have failed with one of the objectives set when he joined. It doesn't mean you just forget about every other success he's had because he's failed with one objective.

It would be like saying Gerrard has been a failure at us for not winning any Cups yet. Madness.

Even if they win the EPL the next two seasons as well?

If he fails to win the CL during his time with the club, he will have failed with one of the objectives set when he joined. It doesn't mean you just forget about every other success he's had because he's failed with one objective.

It would be like saying Gerrard has been a failure at us for not winning any Cups yet. Madness.
Stevie G was brought in to win the league, not the cups so he has succeeded
Peps main job was to win the champions league he has failed in his main priority, until he wins it he has failed

probably the weakest champions league for years with all the "big clubs" being poor...still failed to win CL
Define “poor”.

Is it because all but one won the CL?
I’ve got news for you. That happens every year.

I’d probably only class Liverpool as having any notable drop in standard.

With reports today that Man City are ready "to spend big" after yet another failure to win the Champions League - which was the sole reason Pep was brought to the club, I was curious how much failure costs.

The answer is £773,679,000. That's how much Pep has spent on players during his 5 seasons, add in agents fee and all the youth players they've snapped up for "undisclosed" fees and you'll looking at close to a BILLION pounds. And of course wages on top of that, but I suppose that depends whether they were payed by City or by one of the owners many companies.

Not bad going to be in the exact same position as they were before Pep took over.
Failure is man u spending similar amounts since fergie left and getting nowhere near a champions league or premier league title ffs

Stevie G was brought in to win the league, not the cups so he has succeeded
Peps main job was to win the champions league he has failed in his main priority, until he wins it he has failed

I'm glad you've been privvy to all of the private boardroom conversations in Ibrox and The Etihad as Stevie and Pep thrash out the terms and objectives of their contracts. How can I argue with a man like yourself with that sort of insight?

I'm glad you've been privvy to all of the private boardroom conversations in Ibrox and The Etihad as Stevie and Pep thrash out the terms and objectives of their contracts. How can I argue with a man like yourself with that sort of insight?
Good reply

Patiently awaiting @Scaramanga input to this thread....

I’ll hang back until the OP is finally hit by the revelation that most of the other top clubs in Europe are also spending obscene amounts of money to try and win big. I’m just glad Chelsea won the CL because it’s a victory for the little people.

You just know that after Advocaats first couple of seasons he was sniggering about how we’d spent a fortune only to be in the same position as before where we’d only had domestic success.

Maybe they should appoint Roberto Di Matteo? I mean, he's won the CL. Must mean he's a better gaffer than Pep....
Nobody said Pep was a bad manager but has he failed in his main objective at City? Absolutely. He also failed at Bayern (arguably took them backwards).
These elite clubs all want the CL possibly even more so than their national league. I’m not saying local fans (or expats), those who stay in Manchester, Lille, Milan, etc don’t want to win their respective leagues, of course they do! I’m mean the suits and the “global fans”. Folk who wouldn’t be able to point to Manchester on a map. For them being second, third or even fourth with the chance of being the best in Europe is far more desirable. It’s the closest to a super league they will get. For fans in Shanghai or Arua they’d rather see PSG v Chelsea or Milan v Bayern than the likes of Fulham or Bournemouth etc.
They want to see the best teams with the best players being a CL team brings in a certain standard. Winning it almost lets you pick your players.
Last but not least there is a cash incentive for teams like City to win. They’ve spent a mountain of cash and won the same as they have before and for a lot less.
£1bn should have more than domestic league titles and cups IMO. How much did it cost Inter when they won it with Jose Mourinho? Was it not £500m over a much longer period?

Nobody said Pep was a bad manager but has he failed in his main objective at City? Absolutely. He also failed at Bayern (arguably took them backwards).
These elite clubs all want the CL possibly even more so than their national league. I’m not saying local fans (or expats), those who stay in Manchester, Lille, Milan, etc don’t want to win their respective leagues, of course they do! I’m mean the suits and the “global fans”. Folk who wouldn’t be able to point to Manchester on a map. For them being second, third or even fourth with the chance of being the best in Europe is far more desirable. It’s the closest to a super league they will get. For fans in Shanghai or Arua they’d rather see PSG v Chelsea or Milan v Bayern than the likes of Fulham or Bournemouth etc.
They want to see the best teams with the best players being a CL team brings in a certain standard. Winning it almost lets you pick your players.
Last but not least there is a cash incentive for teams like City to win. They’ve spent a mountain of cash and won the same as they have before and for a lot less.
£1bn should have more than domestic league titles and cups IMO. How much did it cost Inter when they won it with Jose Mourinho? Was it not £500m over a much longer period?

They won the league once in 3 seasons before he took over and then won Three In A Row for the first time in their history with Guardiola as manager.

Backwards? Ok. :D

It's very difficult to win a Cup Competition. It takes a lot of luck along the way and all it takes is one bad day at the office and you are out. It's not always the best team who wins a Cup Competition. The best team always wins the league though.

PSG must have spent around a billion trying to win the CL over the last decade and they haven't managed it yet either.

They won the league once in 3 seasons before he took over and then won Three In A Row for the first time in their history with Guardiola as manager.

Backwards? Ok. :D

It's very difficult to win a Cup Competition. It takes a lot of luck along the way and all it takes is one bad day at the office and you are out. It's not always the best team who wins a Cup Competition. The best team always wins the league though.

PSG must have spent around a billion trying to win the CL over the last decade and they haven't managed it yet either.

I think we’ve found FF’s answer to Paul Merson B-D

Sad reflection on where football is when not winning the Champions League / European Cup is classed as "failure".

It's always been like that though, some clubs have bigger ambitions than others. When Real Madrid won it 5 seasons in a row in the 50's, I'm sure the first year they never would have been deemed a massive disappointment.

Was watching an old interview on ITV the other night with Trevor Francis.

"I don't think any player is worth a million pounds."

Mind you, that was in 1980.

Back