Famous Rangers fans.

John Barrowman loves the Bears ...
7aa5f24e9c301cb394856198fcca4a80--the-teenagers-light-blue.jpg

I'm pretty sure Barrowman's wee brother was on Rangers youth books.

Paul Young (Shug the Lug from Still Game, not the singer) sat near where my granddad used to sit in the Club Deck.

He's definitely not staunch, that's for sure. I had the misfortune to be in the same bar as he and some of his pals the night the scum lost the UEFA Cup Final and he kept having a go at my mate and me for celebrating the Porto goals, going on about how we should be supporting "the Scottish team". He couldn't get it, even when their end was a sea of Irish flags and not a Scottish emblem in sight. To cap it all the barman was supposedly a Bear too, yet kept going on about how "amazing" their support was and he hoped they'd win. That's what I get for watching it in Windermere!

He had a humanist funeral or so I read.
I am not arguing about Rangers having a working-class support that were at the heart of workers movements in Scotland.
That is our cultural inheritance.

I am just saying that Jimmy Reid from what I have read, was raised as a Catholic, and I have never heard anything to suggest that, if he was interested in football, he was anything other than just another Filth supporter like most of his tribe.
Well not until this thread.

I am willing to accept that he was a Bear, but the evidence seems a bit thin.
My Grandfather, father and brother elected to have humanist funerals, all were regulars at Ibrox. We were from Govan, my old man was pretty well known and knew Jimmy. We met him a few times on Langlands Road when my dad was taking me and my brothers to Tommy Ramsey’s shop for a haircut. Amongst other things they talked about Rangers. Maybe Jimmy thought it was politically expedient to go to Ibrox now and again as most of his union members were Bears. I don’t know. I do know the guys I worked with who went to Ibrox voted Labour.

My Grandfather, father and brother elected to have humanist funerals, all were regulars at Ibrox. We were from Govan, my old man was pretty well known and knew Jimmy. We met him a few times on Langlands Road when my dad was taking me and my brothers to Tommy Ramsey’s shop for a haircut. Amongst other things they talked about Rangers. Maybe Jimmy thought it was politically expedient to go to Ibrox now and again as most of his union members were Bears. I don’t know. I do know the guys I worked with who went to Ibrox voted Labour.
I am sure Jimmy did.
He was indeed a Govan man, and certainly not a bigot in any shape or form, and I imagine as a true hero of working-class interests would have seen football and its working-class roots as something of value to be a vehicle for bringing people together rather than dividing them.
Jimmy was an idealist.
A decent man who fitted into Ibrox much more than the other place, so I do like your posts.
Rangers and Ibrox have always been the true heart of working-class Glasgow.

Have Angus or Malcolm Young ever said they are Gers fans? I know their family were bears and I could believe it of Malcolm who appears to have been into football (although his skills in the Let There Be Rock video weren't that good lol) but I just can't see Angus being interested in sports. He doesn't seem the type.

They were both at the 3-0 game v them in 1980, I know because I seen them there.......they were playing the Apollo the same night

Last edited:
Didn't Irvine complain about being represented by the Ulster flag, asking for a neutral one with a harp on instead? Also didn't want GSTQ played on the podium.
Not quiet. The Ulster flag would not be used by FIA. In Argentina they mistakenly flew the Irish tricolour as he has an Irish racing licence. After that event they announced in future it would be the Union Flag as he has a British passport. His parents had received a bit of abuse after the Argentina incident so Irvine asked if he could use a neutral white flag with a shamrock on it and play The Londonderry Air if he won, hoping it would be accepted as annoying no one . This was refused and it would be the Union flag and GSTQ

Is Gillan a bear? Never heard that before

His old man was from KP and whenever he toured up here he'd meet up with his late dad's brother and they'd go to Ibrox if there was a game on.

Being brought up in West London QPR were his local team and he'd go to see them, but like many of us, the Gers have always been close to his heart thanks to his old man.

Stuart murdoch from belle and sebastian was a rangers fan when he was younger, tracyanne campbell from camera obscura still attends Ibrox

Jimmy Reid made a very interesting documentary about Rangers round about 1987. In it he interviewed Lawrence Marlborough who was the man who brought in David Holmes who was the man who brought in Graeme Souness. Marlborough outlined his plans to grow Rangers as a global brand and predicted that British football would eventually follow the American model with TV money calling the shots, even, then-unheard of, Monday Night Football.

Reid, I think, was a football fan first and foremost and as a an atheist Communist would be unlikely to follow the tradition of following a team because of a religious identity.

raymond van barneveld. hes really good mates with ronald de boer. he came to a good few games with him when de boer was with us.

Andy Fordham definitely

I’m sure in the day Eddie Irvine and Graeme Mcdowell were also linked as being fans.

James Nesbitt?
Jimmy Nesbitt was brought up, near Ballymena about 3 miles from me, his dad was Principal of the local Primary School. He's a big supporter of Coleraine in the Irish League and supports them financially, but I'm not so sure about Rangers. He was in a local accordion band as a teenager and I've seen a couple of photos of him with the band at Twelfth parades.

Jimmy Nesbitt was brought up, near Ballymena about 3 miles from me, his dad was Principal of the local Primary School. He's a big supporter of Coleraine in the Irish League and supports them financially, but I'm not so sure about Rangers. He was in a local accordion band as a teenager and I've seen a couple of photos of him with the band at Twelfth parades.

Man Utd fan .

Stuart murdoch from belle and sebastian was a rangers fan when he was younger, tracyanne campbell from camera obscura still attends Ibrox
Traceyanne Campbell sits in the Govan Rear. I've seen her a few times on the concourse.

Last edited:
Jimmy Reid made a very interesting documentary about Rangers round about 1987. In it he interviewed Lawrence Marlborough who was the man who brought in David Holmes who was the man who brought in Graeme Souness. Marlborough outlined his plans to grow Rangers as a global brand and predicted that British football would eventually follow the American model with TV money calling the shots, even, then-unheard of, Monday Night Football.

Reid, I think, was a football fan first and foremost and as a an atheist Communist would be unlikely to follow the tradition of following a team because of a religious identity.
Not everyone (even in the sixties) followed Rangers because of a Protestant identity mate. If you think about the population of the yards in Govan and surrounding areas, the proximity to Ibrox, and a team in the east end openly courting the Catholic Irish, why not go and watch them? Jimmy Reid was at Ibrox more than once or twice. Whether he was an avid fan is open to interpretation. I'm only speaking from personal experience having met the man when younger.

They were both at the 3-0 game v them in 1980, I know because I seen them there.......they were playing the Apollo the same night
I was at the 3-0 game in 1980 & have absolutely no idea why I never went to the gig that night, love the Gers & love AC/DC, talk about a perfect day or what.

I remember when The Cult played the Academy a few years ago and the first thing Astbury said when he came onto the stage was "We Are The People" !!
Your spot on mate, I was also at that gig, judging by the roar that went up when Astbury said it their were plenty of bears in the crowd.

Brian Blessed discussing I, Claudius

2192rzo.jpg

Nice find mate, I've been trying to find a video clip of big Brian on one of those "talking heads" shows where several different celebs were discussing Christmas, what it was like when they were kids etc. BB appeared on it a few times wearing the 97/98 Rangers home top. Have tried to find info on it but can't find anything.

His old man was from KP and whenever he toured up here he'd meet up with his late dad's brother and they'd go to Ibrox if there was a game on.

Being brought up in West London QPR were his local team and he'd go to see them, but like many of us, the Gers have always been close to his heart thanks to his old man.
Yet another reason to love Deep Purple & the Gillan Band, superb.

Not quiet. The Ulster flag would not be used by FIA. In Argentina they mistakenly flew the Irish tricolour as he has an Irish racing licence. After that event they announced in future it would be the Union Flag as he has a British passport. His parents had received a bit of abuse after the Argentina incident so Irvine asked if he could use a neutral white flag with a shamrock on it and play The Londonderry Air if he won, hoping it would be accepted as annoying no one . This was refused and it would be the Union flag and GSTQ

Thanks for clearing that up bro.

I always love these threads - so and so supports us and so does this famous actor/singer or whatever.
Yet hardly one of them will come out and admit it. I admire the ones that do though
We have the perennial shitebags that are George "mon the ton" Bowie, Robert "up the jags" Carlyle and Jim "the shite" White.
Until they start admitting who they support then they are not real supporters of my club.
You never see a famous poet not admitting they support the peado harbourers or having a go at us.

Any of the following would do I am a Rangers fan,I am a Glasgow Rangers fan or I am a Teddy Bear how hard is it.

His classic on the news at ten reading out the nights football results “Hibs one and they should be getting used to it by now Celtic nil”

Lifted the following quote from the old board, 2008. :cool:

Just gave a tribute to Alistair Burnett on ITV and was stating how he could commentate on the the Royal Family and give news that the general public wanted to hear!

"He would refer to the Royal Family then easily switch to Rangers 2 Celtic 1 and Ally McCoist scored them both" - great quote!

Last edited:
I always love these threads - so and so supports us and so does this famous actor/singer or whatever.
Yet hardly one of them will come out and admit it. I admire the ones that do though
We have the perennial shitebags that are George "mon the ton" Bowie, Robert "up the jags" Carlyle and Jim "the shite" White.
Until they start admitting who they support then they are not real supporters of my club.
You never see a famous poet not admitting they support the peado harbourers or having a go at us.

Robert Carlyle "came out". He said he misses watching Rangers when he's away from home.

The late great James "Jimmy" Reid was a big Rangers fan
Jimmy Reid was a Partick Thistle fan if anything,but he wasn't a great follower of football as such but occasionally would be at Firhill with none other than my own father. But as i've said he wasn't big on football.

Back