Gers fan in the dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang mad

A RANGERS fan who allegedly sang a racist song during the team's title celebrations will stand trial on Christmas Eve.

Shelby Hennessey is alleged to have chanted the song near Ibrox Stadium on May 15, 2021.

Rangers fans celebrated the team's title win outside Ibrox in May
Rangers fans celebrated the team's title win outside Ibrox in MayCredit: AFP
Hundreds of jubilant Gers fans gathered at the grounds to party after the club's Scottish Premiership title win.

Prosecutors claim the 28-year-old behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which would cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm.

The charge alleges Hennessey sang a song which contained "racially offensive lyrics".

Brian Matthews sells stake in Rangers-themed pub – months after it was targeted with Celtic graffiti

It is stated that the alleged offence was racially aggravated.

Hennessy pleaded not guilty to the charge at a hearing at Glasgow Sheriff Court today.

Prosecutor Monique Cooney said: "There is no opposition to bail and there will be no special conditions set.

"The Crown seeks trial dates."

DEATH PROBE​

Forensics seal off Glasgow home and scour for clues after man found dead

'CAUTIOUS'​

Scots could be forced to wear masks until CHRISTMAS as face masks set to stay

EXCLUSIVE

BABY SHOWER​

Hero Scots dad delivers baby in the SHOWER after tot's foot popped out

PET HORROR​

Perthshire brute sent ex horror Snapchat clip of him PUNCHING her dog

Man rushed to hospital after Glasgow park stabbing as police seal off scene

Kevin Corr, defending, said: "Bail on the standard conditions will be accepted."

A pre-trial hearing was fixed for November while the trial was set for December 24.

Hennessey, of the city's Cranhill, was granted bail meantime.

Different and more enlightened times, of course, but there will be plenty of Rangers fans around who decades ago sung the exact same song. celtic fans had their version too with hun replacing tim.
Not excusing it, but it would be hypocritical of me to condemn.
What song was it?

I believe it goes along the lines of "I'd rather be a ---- than a ---"
Which is the only footage I have seen with any offensive singing. I am not saying there wasn't any more, just that I have not seen it.

If this anti-catholic hate crime, as opposed to some dafty drunkenly singing a song I haven't heard since about 1985, then god help us. The girl was drunk, she made an arse of herself thinking she was being funny. She doesn't need to be made a scapegoat for politicians' agendas. It should be a misdemeanor and a slap on the wrist but they are blowing it right out of proportion and demanding blood.

At the 3-0 game v them in Nov 1985, I was in the Govan Rear.

At HT a group of maybe 15-20 guys came back from the concourse “blacked-up” and each held up a card spelling out the first line of a very similar version of that song.

The lone copper smiled. It was different times.

Aye lock her up and throw away the key eh!
What a waste of everyones time.

For the record, has Abdul ever been lifted for singing it?
Keeping in mind he sings it every single time he leaves the hoose!
I think he’s been lifted on multiple occasions for his songs.

Singing that you'd rather be Pakistani than a tim strikes fear into Pakistanis? Ok
You mentioned both Fear and Concern? Do you not think a Pakistani hearing someone sing about P*kis might feel concerned? After what has happened recently, after what happened to Glen, I have zero sympathy for anyone who sings songs with racist words. Some people seem to want to turn this woman into some sort of martyr.

Oh look, another pesky squirrel!!

The lassie sung a song, which while very unacceptable in this day and age, was inoffensive to the person in which the song was largely about. That is in no way condoning the song, but this is just another example of the two tier policing and media reporting that we have in this country.
It also emboldens the “anti-Irish and anti Catholic bigotry/racism” brigade, as this only serves to justify their unwarranted, unwanted and frankly untrue concerns.

While it wasn’t a song laced with any of the “anti Irish bigotry and anti Catholic racism” that we’ve yet to see, this will send a message to the haters to start telling us that they have been justified in saying there was singing of a racist nature.

Besides, clearly PS have nothing else to do, never mind catching paedophiles who are sending messages to 15 year old girls etc etc…

I'm not gonna condone it either but have any of the fairly obvious if you hate the fkn English from the stenhousemuir pub been lifted and charged with the same? If not we have some very selective offences here. It can't be one rule even if your a fkn moron.

How society is better with her in jail? You don't have to like the song to think that it's stupid that it's going to court. She was singing it with an Asian guy not at him. It's a song, not an act of violence. I feel sorry for the lassie, having her life wrecked over this.

At the 3-0 game v them in Nov 1985, I was in the Govan Rear.

At HT a group of maybe 15-20 guys came back from the concourse “blacked-up” and each held up a card spelling out the first line of a very similar version of that song.

The lone copper smiled. It was different times.
Sounds magic

Any reasonable person, of any colour, would have seen her as a drunken daft bint. She will now be front page news and seen as the face of racism in Scotland.

I don't feel sorry for her, just think there are levels of punishment and she is being hung out to dry here.
You have no idea what sort of punishment she is going to get, if found guilty. Her plea seems a bit daft tbh, given the video evidence.

How society is better with her in jail? You don't have to like the song to think that it's stupid that it's going to court. She was singing it with an Asian guy not at him. It's a song, not an act of violence. I feel sorry for the lassie, having her life wrecked over this.

She could try the satire angle.

Seen the video, pleading not guilty is a bold strategy that Cotton will have to wait to see how it plays out.

Can't be selective in which racists we want punished severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back