Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has Josh Maja done in his career to suggest he could fill the gap Morelos would leave? A few goals in League 1 for Sunderland?

I don’t know how many he scored on loan at Fulham last season (I’d guess maybe 3 or 4) but he’s always looked like he is capable of playing at a decent level. Was he not only 21 or something when he was at Sunderland?

edit: only 22 just now.

Also, Morelos is now a £15-£20m striker. To fill the void he leaves we would need to spend the same amount which we aren’t going to do. There will always be a bit of a downgrade.

Last edited:
Morelos was given a healthy contract extension by our club after clubs sniffing about, I would imagine there would have been some agreement attached to that extension with a valuation needing matched, no match ! No go! Simple.
Again Porto want to pay less for a top European striker than the manky mob got/getting for that diddy ajer in his last year of his contract.

Last edited:
MORELOS IRON ARM
FC PORTO 17-07-2021 12:28
By Paulo Pinto/Pascoal Sousa
Morelos is determined to start an arm wrestling with Rangers officials to release him in this season with the aim of signing a five-year contract with FC Porto.

The leaders of the Glasgow emblem are uncompromising and stretch the rope, guaranteeing that the Colombian striker will not go to the Dragon for less than 15 million euros, a figure which the blues and whites have approached, offering 12 million and 20 more percent on a future sale.

Steven Gerrard, former Liverpool star and current Rangers coach, does not want to give up the South American scorer, but Morelos will have assured his closest circle that he wants to leave the Scottish champions and accept the invitation made by FC Porto. The goalscorer has even already obtained information from his compatriots Uribe and Luis Díaz about the reality of FC Porto and also of the Invicta city.

If that’s what he wants, let him go.

But not for a € less than Ross Wilson’s valuation of him.

I only want players at the club who are committed and want to he here. If players want to be elsewhere then you won't get the same hunger and commitment, you only need to look across the city to see what happens when you have too many players who don't want to be there.

If Morelos and Goldson want out we should be looking to move them on in this window and bring players in who are hungry and want to be here.

I agree with Goldson but we hold more power with Morelos as he has two years left and I’d be wanting a top fee.

Again Porto want to pay less for a top European striker than the poets got for that diddy ajer in his last year of his
I’m sure there is an mutually agreed fee that Morelos and his agent know we’ll let him go for. From reports this could be £15m so they bid that and they get him.

No I’m not saying he’s better than goldson not at all but Cahill is still a good player.

Cahill may be even better than Goldson, I really wouldn't know. My issue is if he can only get in 20 games a season he can't be part of a stable central pair partnership. And I feel it's important to have as stable as possible a central pairing.

Might be a bit more palatable if we could choose the 20 games but we can't so these things being what they are he would likely be missing at critical times.

While letting him run down a contract isn't consistent with the business model, and aside from that irritates me too. I think if it happens this has to be seen as a special circumstance not a common occurrence with such a saleable asset.

The defence broke records last season, multiple records too many to bother listing. Apparently including the British record which had been Chelsea who lost just 15 league goals one season under Mourinho to our 13.

And ever present in that defence was Connor Goldson. Champions league groups is where we need to be. And if it requires him to get there which it very well might I would accept the contract situation and bear him no grudges when he goes.

I was wondering if the Cahill thing came to fruition would Gerrard be thinking of using him in Europe? And hoping his 20 games mostly cover that?

Well in that case bench him until we get what we want because if we back down all clubs will get our players to do that if they want them.

We must stand our ground with this re fee imo.
We will get less than we want it swings in roundabouts it looks like we are doing the same with Veerman by offering less and getting the player to force the clubs hand Kent also dug in at Liverpool to get his move here

Apparently Morelos has told friends he wants to leave rangers
Good for him. Now we get £13-15m and that's fine. Not £10m or whatever.

We will get less than we want it swings in roundabouts it looks like we are doing the same with Veerman by offering less and getting the player to force the clubs hand Kent also dug in at Liverpool to get his move here
We didn’t take less than we wanted last summer so why will we this?

Sorry, but I have to point it out again - I love that we say "Porto need to give us what we want or f*ck off" but we don't criticise Rangers for not just paying what Herenveen want straight away for Veerman! :-D

Football fans do love having all the cake.

Porto will be hoping for something similar to what we want with Veerman - that the player angles for the move so much the club drop their price (Veerman has said himself what Herenveen want is too high).
You only just realised football fans do this.

Its not unique to Rangers.

In further news water is wet.

The praise Maja gets for a player that's done nothing is weird.
He was the star man when he broke through at Sunderland and had a more than decent record at a very average at best Bordeaux side his efforts at Fulham also weren't that Bad considering they were in a relagation fight all season

Last edited:
So you’d take less than the tramps are getting for Ajer with a year left?
Yes. Covid has changed the market and there are too few rival bids, in fact none. Ajer it seems has EPL interest. Kerching. How do we make someone pay this £18m or whatever?

He was the star man when he broke through at Sunderland and had a more than decent record at a very average at best Bordeaux side his efforts at Fullham also weren't that Bad considering they were in a relagation fight all season
And he is only 22. Probably more accomplished than what Morelos was at 22.

I agree with Goldson but we hold more power with Morelos as he has two years left and I’d be wanting a top fee.

Let's not beat around the bush Morelos has wanted away for at least 2 years now but Gerrard and the club convinced him to stay and gave him new contracts but there would obviously be a gentleman's agreement between Morelos and his Gaffer as well that he could move on when the right club comes along. Obviously Porto need to pay what we are looking for but imo the club should be looking to facilitate Morelos' departure if he is really desperate to go. He has more than done his bit for us now and has never made any secret that he wants to leave.

I'm far more relaxed about him leaving than most on here. I'm actually excited to see how Gerrard would refurbish the team with a bit more cash to spend.

All great teams go through cycles and need refreshed every few seasons Sir Alex was the master at it. Selling players at the right time and then reinvesting.

Think I posted before that an ex work colleague of mine is Portuguese, Porto season ticket holder

Spoke to him Friday, he said there were stories across there Morelos is intent on doing everything to get his move to Porto, I did say nothing like that reported here but seeing the article above is concerning to be honest

Let’s see what happens I suppose but if he’s going to go, Porto should bid going rate and get it done quickly to allow us to move on
Makes no difference what the papers etc are reporting. Its no different to the shit made up in this country.

Because his value will continue to decrease as his contract length decreases he is also 25 so not a young player anymore which EPL clubs tend to value
You come across as the kind of guy who could win the euromillions and would moan about the size of the jackpot.

And we may get it but maybe not if no rival bids appear.

Kamara on the other hand has reportedly got EPL interest from several clubs. That's what may give us the whip hand.
Again, this is nonsense. An opinion presented as if it is fact.

We categorically will not get £15mil without more clubs involved. Horseshit frankly.

But we are already asking for less than we did last summer and Porto have still bid well under what we want so they can %^*& off.
I think we should hold for £15 million for sure but we won't get the £18 million plus we were looking at last season before the cost of covid struck

Morelos was given a healthy contract extension by our club after clubs sniffing about, I would imagine there would have been some agreement attached to that extension with a valuation needing matched, no match ! No go! Simple.
Again Porto want to pay less for a top European striker than the manky mob got or getting for that diddy ajer in his last year of his contract.
This.. I think if we get around £15m plus add ons then we will take it. I have no real issue with him wanting to go other than wishing he didn't want to go as he's an excellent player. 4 years service and would leave as a league champion to a club that if he does well there then more than likely end up in a better league in Spain or Italy.

I think we should hold for £15 million for sure but we won't get the £18 million plus we were looking at last season before the cost of covid struck
I think there’s what we are doing mate. Porto are taking the piss at £10m

Is it the case that if Morelos were to play for us in a CL qualifier he then couldn't play in the CL with another club for a significant portion of the tournament?

We think Morelos is outstanding and has been sensational in Europe but there is very limited interest in buying him. He would certainly run down his contract so I'm of the opinion now we should take the money (even if its less than we think he's worth) because he's downed tools before and has come back out of shape.
If Morelos played for Ceptic, he'd get some stick on here.

The hype around Maja is weird.
A player who can lead the line has quality and an abundance of potential but isn't the finished article, has some good attributes, a bit of development and playing regularly and you have a very good player in the making.

Put it this way if Morelos goes we won't be bringing anyone in near the finished article we need to enhance and develop someone unless we bought in another "Roofe".

Remember our main number 9 drops deep and links up Maja is quite good at that from what I've seen.

Agent doing what agents do. SG usually brings Alfie round when he gets back. If not this time, I'd rather not reward Porto for undermining & undervaluing one of our best players. It's his agent's job to find a club that meets RFC's valuation. So far, he's failed to.

We think Morelos is outstanding and has been sensational in Europe but there is very limited interest in buying him. He would certainly run down his contract so I'm of the opinion now we should take the money (even if its less than we think he's worth) because he's downed tools before and has come back out of shape.
If Morelos played for Ceptic, he'd get some stick on here.
If Morelos played for Celtic you’d get people on saying he’s worth £20m

Again Porto want to pay less for a top European striker than the poets got for that diddy ajer in his last year of his
I’m sure there is an mutually agreed fee that Morelos and his agent know we’ll let him go for. From reports this could be £15m so they bid that and they get him.
Did we not get offered £16m from Lille last year and knocked it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back