Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real concern is the Lundstram deal and I’ve probably said enough about that already. That aside and noting we have a pressing need to extend some contracts, we are in a good place. Take their Japanese superstar out, they are needing to hope a lot of mud getting chucked at the wall sticks. I’ll take it.

The other Davie is MDB
73613214.jpg

Can we conclude that the Borna scare stories from the weekend were just that, or are there still windows open in Europe we need to worry about?

Here's the problem, and this seems lost on a lot of people.

We play in Scotland. We can only ever get so good without the guarantee of CL money year in year out. Celtic's record purchase is Edouard for £9m and that was after 2 consecutive years in the CL group stages.

We take punts, young cheap guys to develop and older, more established guys on frees. It's all we can do and hope some of them work out.

Kent was a massive outlay and only after a season here and we knew for sure he would improve us. Our midfield is made up entirely of freebies and £50k Kamaradona.

We got 102 points and went undefeated last season. Improving our first 11 is practically impossible without a massive, significant outlay of funds we simply can't afford.

We are where we are.
Most sensible post.

The prices we are holding out for are therfore unrealistic. For some players, their 'values' are decreasing. See Borna imo.

No-one seems to want to sell any of our big players and back slaps all round at the end of every window. Until we take the plunge and make profit, financially we are not in a strong position.

Our "strategy" seems somewhat weak and could cost us.
£30 million pot of gold at the end of this season.

I'd wager we are focusing on that and willing to overdo this season than potentially lose out on that sum of money which could be a game changer for us.

I wasn’t suggesting we budget for the CL mate, was merely suggesting that’s how we rid the deficit.

Our last two European campaigns have been our best since 2010/2011, where we got to the last 16 as well - I’m not going to pretend to be a financial wizard and go through the accounts.

We have had some bids for our players, Morelos, Patterson and Kent are the ones that spring to mind but we haven’t had our valuation met for any of them.

Sorry I never meant you personally more about the board itself and our budgeting. They’ve said in the past they had to front load investment to get us at a competitive stage but where do we progress from there?

The European runs the last few years have helped the board massively in getting income into the club but we’re still running at a loss.

The way I see it is unless we achieve Champions League or sell of a star player for under our current value then no real investment into future squads will happen. The problem is if we begin to accept no new players and things become stale on the pitch. I think we can both agree we’ve already seen evidence of fans frustrations at players this season who they adored last.

They now have a quality strike force, a basic midfield and a bomb scare of a defence. I think we have a better more balanced side. Memories of the 90’s for me.
Eh? They have a guy who has started well but failed to score on Sunday when it matters? Their midfield is weaker and their waiting on Julie Ann finding her fanny to sorry a defence out that he couldn’t sort out last season?

I am genuinely surprised at just how much weaker they are

The prices we are holding out for are therfore unrealistic. For some players, their 'values' are decreasing. See Borna imo.

No-one seems to want to sell any of our big players and back slaps all round at the end of every window. Until we take the plunge and make profit, financially we are not in a strong position.

I agree with you entirely on this. I’m not saying we should undersell our players but we also need to be realistic with our valuations.

We are sleep walking into a situation where almost all of our big players (at least six) will have just 12 months left on their deals next summer. They either needed to go now or they will all need contract extensions ASAP.

They now have a quality strike force, a basic midfield and a bomb scare of a defence. I think we have a better more balanced side. Memories of the 90’s for me.
2 of the guys who will play 90% of games up front for them this season we’re posted missing against us on Sunday, let’s see how they get on when the honeymoon period is over.

That's a very cheap move for McCann. I'm not sure he makes many starts for us though but a four year deal and send him to Preston on loan would have been a shout. Davis and Arfield not getting younger

For only £1M its a no brainer. Can’t believe we passed on that. Great cover for Jack and Davis.
We have 8 options where was he fitting in ?

Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Jack, Lundstram, Bacuna, Kelly.

We went for Lundstram and Bacuna to bolster our options time will tell if that was the best and sensible decision by the management never really believed the McCann rumours most of it was fueled by folk on here wanting him.

It’s the continuity I’m concerned about in the middle.

arfield and Davis getting on
Jack, will he get fully fit
Kamara will move on

that’s all fine. In isolation. But it may all happen within 12 months. I’d love us to have a 12 month transition for new players coming in before old moving in.

maybe (probably) pie in the sky
Agree with that. Ideally, like Wright etc, we'd bring in players early to bed in.

With McCann, for example, might have been a case of being unable to offer him game time that he'd want. Davis, Kamara, Jack (when fit), Lundstram, and Kelly needing minutes, McCann might have decided against it. No idea if we made any enquiries and I do like the look.

What price are we holding out for? Or are you just making things up?

Can we conclude that the Borna scare stories from the weekend were just that, or are there still windows open in Europe we need to worry about?
He’s in Moscow with the national team so it was unlikely anyway, but Italian window closed

I’m generally more optimistic than most.

- Kept our main players, they’ll improve again as they have done year in, year out.
- Signed a few bosmans, one of which - turned down the French champions. Both of whom would have cost £10-15m between them to sign (IMO).
- Ridded of the deadwood.

However, players contracts are running down, some are likely to see their value depreciateand at some point we need to put our model into practice.

Maybe we will have to bite the bullet and accept a smaller fee than we normally would, just to show clubs that we are a club who are good for developing players.

I’ve no huge complaints, fine window but as I said, I’m very optimistic and positive.

Celtic have had a catastrophic window. The lack quality and options they have in key positions is nothing short of staggering. They are relying on a group of young, international signings with no experience of British football to grind out wins at tough grounds like Tannadice, Tynecastle etc. They need a miracle.

I feel absolutely fine with our window in that context.

I'd have kept Itten. Was a bit blindsided by that but overall I'm content with the window we've had. Sakala, Lundstram and Bacuna all need time to settle. Ofoborh was a stroke of bad luck. We've strengthened the squad and shifted the dead wood.

Was always going to be a lean summer after the Malmö baws up. Keeping our stars is bonus. Now we need to get a few of them on longer deals and see what we can do next summer. Hopefully the market is a bit more stable by then.

Absolutely, and it's a fair question to ask about why we haven't had offers for Kamara etc.

But unless we are getting acceptable bids, we are in a very difficult position. The board made the right decision by keeping Morelos and Kent, IMO. But as you say, Borna isn't going to maintain his value of we are another year down the line, possibly.

If the management team wanted him we would have asked St Johnstone for a price, if we didn't then we didn't want him, that's the way I see it. I realise a lot of people rate this lad but I guess we have to trust the management team.
Can understand the frustration though with a lad that is going cheap and could develop into a good player for us.
The reported fee would make it a worthwhile punt, even if its a buy and loan back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back