Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it closes like this well done the board for keeping the band together, huge league season for the rewards that look likely to follow. Victory is going to be sweet

Sorry, I'm just not having it that Lundstram is worth £XX million. He let his contract run down, Sheffield Utd tried to punt him and there were was no interest. Sheffield Utd then offered him a contract which he rejected in the hope of getting a big deal as a free agent.

If he was worth decent money, one of the supposed many EPL teams that were interested in him would have signed him on a pre-contract nevermind paid relative pocket money on him. West Ham had a turnover of something like £140M last year, Everton was £185M. There is no way that if he was worth anything like the figures banded on here that none of these teams would have taken a punt on him. Fact of the matter is though that nobody valued him, hence why he never received an offer higher than what we gave him.

Make of that what you will.
You not got videos to be raging about?

It surely can only be player trading then unless we fall into the trap of budgeting for Champions League again?

In the last year the amount that supporters have put into the club has been unreal, I understand Covid has played its part but surely they can’t expect fans to back them at the same level each season if there isn’t anything coming investment wise? We got to the furthest stage we’ve been in Europe since Manchester I believe.

If it’s a case of selling then questions need to be asked why we can’t move on players for a profit. This is a side that have went to last 16 in a European competition and beaten their main rivals by 20+ points to the title. Why can’t we achieve value for these players? If anything it was the perfect time to cash in on someone to reinvest into the squad, we haven’t done that and I’d be concerned we fall into the trap of the board across the city celebrating we didn’t sell any of our players.
I wasn’t suggesting we budget for the CL mate, was merely suggesting that’s how we rid the deficit - nor am I saying the fans haven’t put their all into the club

Our last two European campaigns have been our best since 2010/2011, where we got to the last 16 as well - I’m not going to pretend to be a financial wizard and go through the accounts.

We have had some bids for our players, Morelos, Patterson and Kent are the ones that spring to mind but we haven’t had our valuation met for any of them.

Thankfully it’s a problem I don’t have to deal with :))

We literally can’t improve the first 11 without selling someone from the first 11. If Barisic left we might have brought in Doig, if Morelos left we might have spent big on a striker. But until we start trading players, we’re going to be in the frees/low fees/loan market and just trying to build strength in depth. FWIW, I’d rather keep the players we have in a settled 11 than be in Celtic’s position selling their best players and replacing them with guys at 1/5 of the selling fee.
Lundstram, Sakala and Bacuna have barely kicked a ball and the full team hasn’t exactly helped them. Can’t believe there’s people unhappy we have managed to keep a title winning side with 100 points together. In another world, that squad gets decimated and we are in Celtics position

When does the "model" kick in??

There has to come a point that we have to cash in on one of our valuable assets. We've been talking about this "model" for a good few years now. Still not happening.

Holding on to them at the end of every window is all fair and well, but it means we are not able to go out and spend.

We need to be more liquid with our transfer budget and also help with our finances /costs.

We have to accept that we need to sell player and actually take the big profit we are always on about - before it's too late for some.
This summer was really the one where I expected one or two to go for big money.

If current contracts remain the same, next year we’ll see Goldson leave for free, and Morelos, Aribo, Kent, Barisic, Helander, Katic and Kamara all enter the final year of their deals.

The priority now has to be extending contracts and figuring out why we are struggling to shift guys for decent money.

There has to come a point that we have to cash in on one of our valuable assets. We've been talking about this "model" for a good few years now. Still not happening.

Holding on to them at the end of every window is all fair and well, but it means we are not able to go out and spend.

We need to be more liquid with our transfer budget and also help with our finances /costs.

We have to accept that we need to sell player and actually take the big profit we are always on about - before it's too late for some.
When the market is back.

in reality we need Kamara, Goldson and probably Alfie tied up on mew deals in the next few months to protect their value possibly the same with Kent?

I am a dreamer at times but singing someone at 8-10 million after Malmö was just never happening

They now have a quality strike force, a basic midfield and a bomb scare of a defence. I think we have a better more balanced side. Memories of the 90’s for me.

If he has a great season with Preston we go and get him in 12 months, if he doesn't, no harm done. McCann does not at this stage improve or get in our first 11.
It's a hell of a lot easier to "go and get" a player from St Johnstone than a player who has had a good season with a championship club in England mate.

I commented about this but I think we have to look at the way the squad has been kept together as an investment this is a huge league season regarding qualification (albeit not guaranteed)

I was convinced we would move one perhaps two big assets due to ending up in the europa league and the value we have in some players now

pushing the buy develop sell model back into next summer will all going to plan giving us a double windfall

just wait for the warchest haha

Aside from the second half on Sunday we’ve looked flat near enough every game so far this season. It’s been clear we needed to freshen up this summer, particularly our starting eleven, which is near enough the same team for the past two years.

This isn’t a dig at the board either as it’s obvious we needed the Champions League or to sell for big money before we bought anyone and neither of those things happened.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I understand your perspective on our form etc, but there have been definite reasons for much of it, and yet, still, it is very early days. The squad, from say two seasons ago, was composed of many young players, but they really older and more mature now, and blended with others who are experienced players in their own right. I think we are in a very good position for where we want to be right now, but time will, as always, tell.

You need offers to sell, you also need players wanting to leave, we've had no acceptable offers and none of our sellable assets are actively wanting to leave, like they had with Edouard, Christie and Ajer.

So we either keep our good players or howk them about clubs and risk pissing off a very tight knit squad.

I don't get your point. I was talking their scouting system
I know my point is every club has its share of duds but if your scouting system brings in big profits on players then its working not too bad. Yes they’ve had plenty of duds but they always seem to find a big sale too.

Your point is true but how much would it cost to buy a player that keeps Davis/Kamara out the team? Both nailed on starters unless we paid a lot of money to improve on them.
It’s the continuity I’m concerned about in the middle.

arfield and Davis getting on
Jack, will he get fully fit
Kamara will move on

that’s all fine. In isolation. But it may all happen within 12 months. I’d love us to have a 12 month transition for new players coming in before old moving in.

maybe (probably) pie in the sky

So 4 summers into Gerard’s reign and no real money spent on a midfielder . Crazy
Whilst I agree and I wanted some genuine quality brought in we have 8 options for three places so we won't get caught short this season.

It's been a missed opportunity to seriously strengthen though that much is clear.

When we get an acceptable offer?
The prices we are holding out for are therfore unrealistic. For some players, their 'values' are decreasing. See Borna imo.

No-one seems to want to sell any of our big players and back slaps all round at the end of every window. Until we take the plunge and make profit, financially we are not in a strong position.

Our "strategy" seems somewhat weak and could cost us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back