This current Rangers team has peaked. We're now on the slide

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

Failure(for whatever reason) to freshen up this squad is going to cost us.
Before today, we were only 1 point behind last year and scored more.
Let's not get paranoid. We are in front in the league.

If we win this season we'll freshen the squad with the guaranteed champions league money, but that income is not worth gambling with.

If we don't see a step up over the coming weeks then we really need to spend some money in January to strengthen the starting 11 and secure this title knowing the prize pot at stake.

We're looking at 12 potentially leaving next summer.

6 out of contract, another 6 with a year left on their deal.

Next summer is going to be a massive overhaul one way or another.

As I said on the match thread, it’s the obsession with getting wide and crossing it that’s the major problem. It’s so predictable and fruitless! Needs to stop pronto

it’s a tactical problem not a team peaking problem IMO

We defaulted to that in the second - i thought we tried to play through them in the first

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

This must be the most short sighted post ever on here.

We will win the league by 12 points or more and be in the CL groups next year.

This side will be better than last year, its a short term blip in form

If we are being brutally honest we scraped through a lot of close games by a goal last year and after a while saying "thats the sign of champions" doesn't cover up the flaws.

We're looking at 12 potentially leaving next summer.

6 out of contract, another 6 with a year left on their deal.

Next summer is going to be a massive overhaul one way or another.
Even more reason to start the work in January and guanatee we've money to invest in the summer.

We seem stale and need an injection of enthusiasm and energy!

The transfer window is closed so the squad is what it is. The gaffer needs to find a solution as our start to the season hasn’t been very good and we’re on top because we’re the best of a bad lot at the moment.

It’s certainly starting to look like that.

Team badly needs freshened up and probably a change of shape/tactics too.

Subs a bit earlier would also help.
We’ve got a decent enough squad, but Gerrard looks wary of fully utilising it.

You're certainly making us sound bad though......6 games in and you 're panicing......some of the opposition have upped their game , with the exception of tim .....be patient we're still top of the league.......

If we are being brutally honest we scraped through a lot of close games by a goal last year and after a while saying "thats the sign of champions" doesn't cover up the flaws.
But last year it was.

We'd find ourselves level with minutes to go and I felt like we would be getting something from the game.

Today even when the plus 6 minutes appeared I had no confidence we'd pick up the win.

The ruthless mentality seems to be missing so far this year.

Our tactics and use of the squad needs improvement for sure. Player for player it's still the best squad by far so we should have enough.

That said, the rest of the league has improved and we're not doing back to back unbeaten seasons so expectations on our end are also at their peak

I believe the “reason” is down to COVID and front loading for 55/stopping 10IAR. Now we’ve stagnated and there’s no end in sight.

Not selling someone to pocket some cash and buy a couple of players has hurt us really badly.

I would also argue the same problems with the coaching staff exist and have always existed with the negative tactics and patterns of play.
Who should we have sold? What bids did we have for any first team players?

Players going through the motions.
Players that look physically done.
Players that simply aren't good enough.
Star players off the boil.

Been a horrific start to the season and the lack of depth in that squad is going to be shown in the coming weeks and months.

How the hell have we been left with a player like Simpson in the first team having had a surplus of quality players in that position not so long ago?

The team has not peaked. The problem is the manager making to many changes.
The team has peaked. You're not going to get much better than a undefeated league season, winning a europa league group and reaching the last 16 of the competition on back to back attempts. Dream runs are still possible but that's the reality for a club like us when we play in a league like ours. With the contract situations for the majority of our key players, for this squad they have reached the peak and i reckon a few of them know it.

We arent a settled side in all honesty. A lot of disruptions since the start of the season.

From players been out injured coming back into the team not fully fit, being ruled out for weeks at a time. Add covid into the mix too and we are pretty much struggling to have a settled team.

We all know that Simpson, Wright and Sakala wouldnt have started today if we had a settled team, but we cant begrudge that either as we've also had players out of form playing too.

Who should we have sold? What bids did we have for any first team players?
That wasn't really my point as much as just saying that because we haven't/couldn't sell anyone it means we can't freshen up the squad or spend a little bit more than usual.

If he was proactive with subs instead of reacting after they score it would help it's a huge weakness of Gerrard. Taking off our only players with pace and risking Alfie who had a hamstring injury didn't make any sense at all. We have a massive squad which he says constantly will be used yet its the same 14-15 players every week.

I think the team have shown they are still capable but they just lose focus so quickly and then the effort just stops. That part I just can't figure out.

The fact they can just keep going throughout the game without the threat of the manage balling his head off at them or yanking them off doesn't exactly inspire them to up their game either.

The team has peaked. You're not going to get much better than a undefeated league season, winning a europa league group and reaching the last 16 of the competition on back to back attempts. Dream runs are still possible but that's the reality for a club like us when we play in a league like ours. With the contract situations for the majority of our key players, for this squad they have reached the peak and i reckon a few of them know it.
Good points mate. Still think we have the players and squad to run away with this league.

If he was proactive with subs instead of reacting after they score it would help it's a huge weakness of Gerrard. Taking off our only players with pace and risking Alfie who had a hamstring injury didn't make any sense at all. We have a massive squad which he says constantly will be used yet its the same 14-15 players every week.
He does need to change the in game management - tends more often than not to allow things to get to the stage they can't be fixed before reacting. Even then, the reaction is quite often very poor as well.

The first 45 was as good as we have played since late 2020. 2nd half less so, but we are moving in the right direction.

You're certainly making us sound bad though......6 games in and you 're panicing......some of the opposition have upped their game , with the exception of tim .....be patient we're still top of the league.......

Not panicking. Still expect us to win the league.

But we are now 12 games into the season and all the flaws that were pointed out back then are just as glaring today.

Celtic game apart, we've played jobbers and dropped 5 points in 5 games.

We defaulted to that in the second - i thought we tried to play through them in the first
Absolutely, which is why the first 45 mins were our best of the season going forward

stevie wonder can see the wide-cross-gubbed method is not working

I think there is an element of bad luck in it as well though.
I appreciate what you're saying, but I only partly accept that. We have had many chances to up by 2 or 3 goals and prevent these situations but aren't clinical enough right now.

I'm confident we'll refind that edge, but it's frustrating until we do.

We will not win games away from home playing like that, more the opposite. Our collective desire to get the job done just isn't there anymore. Psychology plays a massive role in sport, especially football, and we look weak in that area.

Desire, hunger and good decision making is non existent this season.
I've walked out of Ibrox feeling like that was a defeat.
Absoloute dug shite today, Davis rolls the ball in and it's 2-0, he fucks it and a minute later they score.

The first team squad needed some real quality added, first picks, adding some real strength.

We couldn't do that for whatever reason, and I think it shows.

This isn't a dig at the board, just a fact.

The transfer window is closed so the squad is what it is. The gaffer needs to find a solution as our start to the season hasn’t been very good and we’re on top because we’re the best of a bad lot at the moment.
That top line is when you bring in some of the young guys in. Patterson and Kelly

It’s amazing how quickly it catches up with you if you don’t improve in transfer windows.

We have had a couple of poor windows (Simpson, Wright, Bacuna, Lundstam all not good enough) and it shows when two or three of our key players are out.

The team is over reliant on Davis and Kamara in midfield it would be a massive boost to get Ryan Jack back,also has Hagi been allowed back into Scotland yet?

He does need to change the in game management - tends more often than not to allow things to get to the stage they can't be fixed before reacting. Even then, the reaction is quite often very poor as well.
He's terrified of disrupting the flow of the game its like he wants the team to work it out themselves but he's waited 10 minutes after they scored to even think about changing it. The subs all round today just didn't make any sense at all but its not just the subs. We can't seem to take a shot and just want to walk the ball into the net all the time and if that doesn't work put it out wide cross it in and not win a header once.

In my opinion it's simple.
Every single player brought it doesn't improve last seasons team.
.. By a fkn country mile to not just a bit.

Whatever happens we should see a big change in the team next season. Definitely need to move some players on to renew freshness/hunger.

Imo it's gone downhill since the friendly against Real

In my opinion it's simple.
Every single player brought it doesn't improve last seasons team.
.. By a fkn country mile to not just a bit.
Unfortunately we can't afford to buy players that will instantly improve a championship winning side.

It's all opinions I guess. In the off season people like David Edgar were telling us the opposite was the case and that we still havent seen the best of this side yet.

I'm on the fence. I really dont know if i've seen the best of Goldson, Barasic, Kamara, Kent, etc, last season, or their current form is just a temporary drop off.

I guess we will find out as the season progresses.

Back