Jack Simpson

Simpson hasn’t settled too quickly and does look frightened at times. I reckon he will start on Wednesday though to try and build some confidence and keep Balogun for the league.

Motherwell targeted him with long balls and he was struggling to deal with them. His size and supposed aerial ability were highlighted as strengths when he signed him, but he looked every inch the player who was fourth choice at Bournemouth yesterday. The decision to send Katić out on loan was correct as he needs to be playing regularly to recover from that injury - and for some players it's the second season back playing before they're fully recovered, so a year on the bench does him no good - but I cannot for the life of me see what the folk who claim Simpson is better than Katić see in him.

He had a shocker at Tynecastle.....

Ibrox against Hamilton, wasn't much better at Ross County and yes it was Leverkusen but was a bit embarrassing against them.

Edmundson was trash, as I said weird hill to die on, we would be no better or worse with him in the side, it was the same raw, nervy aimless defending, he regularly looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Next to no difference between them, Edmundson was horrendous.
Jack Simpson has never in his entire career put in a performance like Braga away. Doesn’t have it in him.

Edmundson also had a few 7/10’s, could spray it, had physicality & pace. I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough, but I’m not putting him in the Kiernan/Simpson bracket.

Simpson? %^*& knows.

Jack Simpson has never in his entire career put in a performance like Braga away. Doesn’t have it in him.

Edmundson also had a few 7/10’s, could spray it, had physicality & pace. I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough, but I’m not putting him in the Kiernan/Simpson bracket.

Simpson? %^*& knows.

"could spray it" "a few 7/10's", yeah you are 100% forgetting that people actually watched Edmundson play football mate.

Ibrox against Hamilton, wasn't much better at Ross County and yes it was Leverkusen but was a bit embarrassing against them.

Edmundson was trash, as I said weird hill to die on, we would be no better or worse with him in the side, it was the same raw, nervy aimless defending, he regularly looked like an accident waiting to happen.
Edmundson is quite comfortably better than Simpson. Simpson is in the rob kiernan bracket.

I think he has potential, but that he would benefit from a very intensive and sustained dose of "barbell medicine". Time for him to get to work if he wants to make it at Rangers.

What makes you think he has potential?

I genuinely see nothing to suggest he’s got the basic attributes to be a good defender.

Patter was shite the first time mate.

If I keep going on it’ll sound like I rate Edmundson, but he actual has some positives in his game whereas Simpson has none.

Patter still applies now, it genuinely seems to me you have totally forgot that people watched Edmundson play games of football for Rangers.

Against the grain but I still think it’s too early to write him off.
I did look at a few of the incidents against Motherwell and I think it’s possible he’s been over-coached, without having had too many top level games.

For the goal, it looked like natural instinct was (correctly) making him pressure the Motherwell player and make a tackle, but he just suddenly stopped as if he remembered something he was told during training, probably about keeping shape as a back four, and dropped back in.

If he’s ever going to make it, he’s probably more in need of a loan with guaranteed games than Katic was.

Patter was shite the first time mate.

If I keep going on it’ll sound like I rate Edmundson, but he actual has some positives in his game whereas Simpson has none.

This.

Edmundson is brutal but he's at least the blood and snotters type who could battle his way through a game in Scotland.

Simpson looks likely to cost us a goal anytime he plays.

I honestly think you can tell pretty quickly if a centre back is up to it and, for me, it was clear a long time ago that Simpson wasn’t good enough. It is worrying that Gerrard and our recruitment team saw something in him.

I think we'd probably all agree that neither Simpson or Edmundson are Rangers class. The jury is still out on Katic too. We're probably looking at a new back 4 next season (bar Tav)

And several people on here alone, who have watched games of football have told you Edmunson is a better player than Simpson. That doesnt mean hes a good player just thats hes better than him at least.

Yeah, but you are saying like that I have to take their view to be credible though,

There is a reason Edmundson was bombed out the squad.

I think we'd probably all agree that neither Simpson or Edmundson are Rangers class. The jury is still out on Katic too. We're probably looking at a new back 4 next season (bar Tav)
Looking at half a new team next season I’d say mate, when you look at the contract situations, the ages & the amount of time some players have been at the club.

Aye.

We’re sadly still at the position where the nature of the SPFL means that big, aggressive defenders will probably be passable while timid, Eddie Howe-style defenders won’t be, and that’s why Edmundson will get the nod here.

A situation summed up perfectly even 20 years ago by Bobo Balde.

Yeah, but you are saying like that I have to take their view to be credible though,

Its okay mate, keep battering that drum shouting Edmundson is as poor as Simpson.

Someone will agree with you soon enough.

Its okay mate, keep battering that drum shouting Edmundson is as poor as Simpson.

Someone will agree with you soon enough.

From what I have seen of both players - Edmundson was better than Simpson- only thing I would say is George has played 4 times as many professional level games - so Simpson "may" get better but he's certainly not shown much to encourage that line of thinking thus far.

Yeah him and Jones got bombed out the squad because they were acting like fannies breaking lockdown rules last season.

Clearly goes deeper than that though doesn't it, we have signed quite a few CB's, generally when teams sign players in a position another plays in it is because they don't massively rate AN other player, unlike Katic Edmundson had been fit, seems pretty clear the coaching team just don't rate him that highly.

You were the one who said several times to anyone who disagreed with you that they forget that people have watched Edmundson play football. I know its a shit point but you made it.

Clearly goes deeper than that though doesn't it, we have signed quite a few CB's, generally when teams sign players in a position another plays in it is because they don't massively rate AN other player, unlike Katic Edmundson had been fit, seems pretty clear the coaching team just don't rate him that highly.
It could have have been that someone actively wanted Edmundson and were willing to pay money for him, and that certainly doesn’t seem the case with Simpson.

It could have have been that someone actively wanted Edmundson and were willing to pay money for him, and that certainly doesn’t seem the case with Simpson.

Could have, would hold more weight if we hadn't signed Simpson and Balogun before his departure but.

When the guy passed the ball to their number 8 Simpson should have been favourite to get there first, I have no clue what sort of stopping tactic he was trying.

Back