MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crowd going to be key for us here, it will be rocking but just need to stick with the players.

I think we need to play this like two x 1 off games. We need to come out and go at them the way we did in so many of last seasons home ties, we know we can do it and don't (yet) worry about next week too much. Obviously all that changes if they get an early goal, so come out but in a reserved fashion...

Crowd going to be key for us here, it will be rocking but just need to stick with the players.

I think we need to play this like two x 1 off games. We need to come out and go at them the way we did in so many of last seasons home ties, we know we can do it and don't (yet) worry about next week too much. Obviously all that changes if they get an early goal, so come out but in a reserved fashion...
Yeah, the crowd has a huge role here, whatever is happening during the game.

We need to get our noses in front before the second leg. I think this is going to be a high scoring tie. With us just edging it.

PSV fan here, happy to be in your rainy city and greatly looking forward to Ibrox tomorrow. About the upcoming matches: I’m thinking it’ll be 50/50, and like someone mentioned here, I think there will be plenty of goals on both sides. Tbf, we are really lucky that we have the 2nd game at our home. Obviously, the Philips Stadion is nowhere close to Ibrox, but we can have a intense atmosphere too (last week against AS Monaco was the most overwhelming atmosphere of the last 15 years imo), and depending on the result in Ibrox, you might see that atmosphere too.

Our defence is pretty weak, especially the build up play. Our wing backs are nothing special. Sangare is a beast at CDM, but not too good on the ball. Veerman is a very decent player with a unique finishing ability. I’m expecting that Til will be the 3rd midfielder and tbf, he’s a ghost, but, he can score several goals out of nowhere. But if he does play, that is probably in your favor too.

Our real right winger, Madueke, will be injured until winter, so we’re playing with youngsters Bakayoko or Saibari there, both decent wingers but not CL level by any means.

We do probably have the best header of Europe with Luuk de Jong, he is absolutely ridiculous in-air. And Gakpo is a great left winger, who will try and cut into the middle and shoot from just outside the box. He’s a killer in front of goal.

Our tactic is going to be countering, with the wingers looking to play the high ball to Luuk de Jong, or passing the ball to Veerman on the box. Only 3 players to watch really; Veerman, Gakpo & de Jong. Next to that, the PSV team have a great fighting spirit and have the ability to ‘kill’ the game, which usually is not a Dutch quality.

U’ll win at Ibrox. Best scenario would be - for you - is to win hard at home and demoralise PSV for the game in Eindhoven. If it’s going to be 2-1 at Ibrox for example, expect a crazy game in Eindhoven..

Absolutely buzzing for the game, and hope we’ll have 2 great games with many goals!!!

It is hard to get a read on PSV - Their domestic results this season have been fabulous but as we know the Dutch league is a bit crazy with teams not really interested in defending, Supposedly they were lucky against Monaco and there European form last year was far from Stellar.

It also feels like many European teams we have faced that they are underestimating us.

Difficult game but its a winnable tie.

PSV fan here, happy to be in your rainy city and greatly looking forward to Ibrox tomorrow. About the upcoming matches: I’m thinking it’ll be 50/50, and like someone mentioned here, I think there will be plenty of goals on both sides. Tbf, we are really lucky that we have the 2nd game at our home. Obviously, the Philips Stadion is nowhere close to Ibrox, but we can have a intense atmosphere too (last week against AS Monaco was the most overwhelming atmosphere of the last 15 years imo), and depending on the result in Ibrox, you might see that atmosphere too.

Our defence is pretty weak, especially the build up play. Our wing backs are nothing special. Sangare is a beast at CDM, but not too good on the ball. Veerman is a very decent player with a unique finishing ability. I’m expecting that Til will be the 3rd midfielder and tbf, he’s a ghost, but, he can score several goals out of nowhere. But if he does play, that is probably in your favor too.

Our real right winger, Madueke, will be injured until winter, so we’re playing with youngsters Bakayoko or Saibari there, both decent wingers but not CL level by any means.

We do probably have the best header of Europe with Luuk de Jong, he is absolutely ridiculous in-air. And Gakpo is a great left winger, who will try and cut into the middle and shoot from just outside the box. He’s a killer in front of goal.

Our tactic is going to be countering, with the wingers looking to play the high ball to Luuk de Jong, or passing the ball to Veerman on the box. Only 3 players to watch really; Veerman, Gakpo & de Jong. Next to that, the PSV team have a great fighting spirit and have the ability to ‘kill’ the game, which usually is not a Dutch quality.

U’ll win at Ibrox. Best scenario would be - for you - is to win hard at home and demoralise PSV for the game in Eindhoven. If it’s going to be 2-1 at Ibrox for example, expect a crazy game in Eindhoven..

Absolutely buzzing for the game, and hope we’ll have 2 great games with many goals!!!
This is a better insight into PSV than the entire Scottish footballing media have been able to muster in the week leading up to the tie.

Thank you for this detailed info. May the best team win (which is us B-) :shh: )

Armchair fan at the moment. I just want to see that special, running camera sweeping across the Club Deck at Ibrox everytime we scored in Europe last season (so 3 camera runs tomorrow night please). That camera angle was absolutely incredible to view and hear in last season's Europa run and real credit/plaudits must go to our support for the tremendous and powerful atmosphere generated. The support genuinely is the '12th player' in Europe and I think we will get a decent result to take to Eindhoven because of them.

Without sounding like a broken record, I am glad this is on BT / Stan Sports Australia - coverage is far better than RTV and feels more deserving of the occasion.
Stan is awful tbf, you get a crappy English commentator on his own waffling. RTV is better, and you hear more of the atmosphere. I’d prefer the BT covered though but that isn’t an option.

This is a 50/50 tie imo...it's going to boil down to whoever wants it more as both teams have the ability to beat each other in any given day.
If we are to progress we must take a lead into the second leg.

Stan is awful tbf, you get a crappy English commentator on his own waffling. RTV is better, and you hear more of the atmosphere. I’d prefer the BT covered though but that isn’t an option.

I assume it's the same feed as we have with Spark Sport in NZ but apart from the average commentating, I find the atmosphere is better than RTV. And we get the build up from 10mins before kickoff just with the crowd noises with no breaks or anyone talking over it.

Feeling quietly confident for tonight and probably only 3 positions up for debate.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands/Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack/Kamara/Davis

Lawrence/Matondo
Tillman
Kent

Colak

3-1 Rangers.

No chance, I’d give an argument for RBL but not Dortmund. They don’t have a Reyna or Bellingham or World Cup winners
I meant the situation rather than a direct comparison of players. PSV are very close to ourselves in teams of ability and ambitions (given recent failures in CL) so its finest of margins time.

Dortmund were obvs miles ahead of us in terms of their quality level but they give us a big hand by starting poorly and reacting slowly. By the time they did we were off and running which levelled things considerable.

Fair play to you - enjoy your time at Ibrox and may the best team win. (Rangers)

Any type of win tonight and I’ll be happy, give us something to hold onto in the return leg.
I agree but also a draw BUT wi the the right performance will give us all hope for the return leg. Be cracking to go toe to toe with them and annihilate them this week AND next week with clinical finishing.
Tie won’t be over unless we hump them 4:0

I think both ties (home and away) could actually go either way.

If all our players are on their 'A' game we should take a narrow lead to Eindhoven. If not then we will have to pull out something in Holland.

The whole tie remains 50/50 but we'll have a better idea after tonight.

Last edited:
Still getting used to these big European nights coming on a Tuesday rather than a Thursday. Hopefully it stays that way!

Agree PSV are in the box seat, they are a very good team. They were in it in 1978 and then again 1999. Our record against them in Europe is P4 W3 D1 L0.

I think it will be tight but doable if we are on it and completely focused for the two games. It would be good to keep our record against them going.
We played them 2011-12 im sure

Over the 2 legs we lost.

0-0 in eindhoven and went down 1-0 at Ibrox

Edit; just checked 2010-11 it was

Last edited:
This is two evenly matched sides.

I’m just wanting us to take any lead over to Eindhoven. Being honest, I don’t even think a draw is disastrous.

Hopefully, Rangers will make these thoughts look ridiculous and win handsomely. :)

Assuming no barrier at the corner tonight? Not mentioned on the official correspondence from rangers but that doesn’t necessarily mean very much….

This is two evenly matched sides.

I’m just wanting us to take any lead over to Eindhoven. Being honest, I don’t even think a draw is disastrous.

Hopefully, Rangers will make these thoughts look ridiculous and win handsomely. :)
Thats my thoughts tonight, i hope the team turn up with the energy and relentless attacking we've seen at prevoius home euro ties since Gio's tenure.

Any lead going over to EIndhoven and i will be happy, a 2 goal lead or more and i will be delighted.

I hope the team are hungrier than PSV for CL group stage. This might come down to who wants it more.....

Back