A clear example from the Scotland v NornIron game on why the Arthur Boruc defence is flawed in the Scottish context

This cretin was obviously out to provoke - with the aid of a steward, no-man’s land and a fence.

He is not acting in an act of faith, praise or supplication. He is in fact inspired by sectarian hatred as he believes making the sign of the cross is a Catholic thing to do and will offend and provoke Protestants.

Hatred, pure and simple.

Can that be forwarded to polis scotia on monday as a hate crime?

I watched a wee bit of the build up of the game before I switched over to the Wales game.
Do you know how the telly scans round the terracing and picks up punters.
They see themselves on the big screen and start waving and then they tell the guy next to them and then they all wave look Ma Iam on the telly.
Well it went round to a young lassie and maybe her boyfriend both jumped for joy together but there was another older chap with them but he was gleefully giving the N I fans the Vicky with both hands and loving every minute of it.
As the couple kept pawing and grabbing at him to say look we are on the screens he shrugged them off and kept giving the Vicky to the lads!
A proper football fan who missed his three seconds of fame.
I couldn't help but laugh!

Not sure how you could reasonably be offended by that but that’s just my opinion.
This is the problem. In bygone days, 99.99% of people wouldn't be offended. They'd just (rightly!) think the guy was a prick, laugh at him and wouldn't give it another thought. Nowadays, 99.99% probably still aren't really offended, but we live in a climate where so many people claim to be offended, you're almost compelled to be offended right back at them, so the narrative can't be all one way. Consequently we get all this tit-for-tat bullshit. Just wait until next week when Humza unleashes his McStasi thought and speech police upon us, with the new hate crime legislation. It'll be a free for all. And apparently this is 'progressive'! I'd suggest people 'man up', but even that's likely to get me arrested nowadays!

The reference to Artur Boruc in the OP is a little bizarre.

The only thing this is a clear example of is the fact the tartan tranny are full of absolute weirdos, poets and bitter wee men.
"Neds, boors and Shinners" is my stock phrase to describe supporters of Nationalist Scotland.

And I think I'm right!

Boruc was never cautioned by the PF for crossing himself. That was a blatant lie allowed to be peddled by the Scottish media and the PF for almost a week before the truth emerged that it was for making a one-fingered salute to the crowd. But when did the truth ever matter in Scotland.?
When did it ever matter at the knewcamp

This cretin was obviously out to provoke - with the aid of a steward, no-man’s land and a fence.

He is not acting in an act of faith, praise or supplication. He is in fact inspired by sectarian hatred as he believes making the sign of the cross is a Catholic thing to do and will offend and provoke Protestants.

Hatred, pure and simple.

That was me who took the video, surely I’m entitled to the copyrights for it.

I was there in the Northern Ireland end.

He stood there for ages with the Yes flag and barely anyone noticed. Steward comes over and people start cheering and waving at him.

i actually filmed the same guy leaving. Walking up the stairs. Gives a Nazi salute, crosses himself repeatedly, then mimicks an IRA gunman. Weird behaviour. In fairness, majority of Scottish fans looking at him confused.

He will be a RC just like 90% of them only place he practices makeing the sign of the cross is in a voteing booth i dont have to tell you where he places his

If any of the Norn Iron fans had mimicked playing a flute towards Scotland fans, which is part of their culture as the bagpipes are to Scotland, this would have made the tabloids this morning.
Absolutely , and going by his logic catholics don’t play or support Northern Ireland either :rolleyes:

I watched a wee bit of the build up of the game before I switched over to the Wales game.
Do you know how the telly scans round the terracing and picks up punters.
They see themselves on the big screen and start waving and then they tell the guy next to them and then they all wave look Ma Iam on the telly.
Well it went round to a young lassie and maybe her boyfriend both jumped for joy together but there was another older chap with them but he was gleefully giving the N I fans the Vicky with both hands and loving every minute of it.
As the couple kept pawing and grabbing at him to say look we are on the screens he shrugged them off and kept giving the Vicky to the lads!
A proper football fan who missed his three seconds of fame.
I couldn't help but laugh!
Even for a friendly ffs,

I strive to be as cool and laid back as you.

It must be wonderful.
Wouldn’t say I’m cool or particularly laid back tbh but I can’t really get annoyed about a guy at a football match making a gesture at me.

I’d say that’s fairly normal but appreciate you don’t agree.

Wouldn’t say I’m cool or particularly laid back tbh but I can’t really get annoyed about a guy at a football match making a gesture at me.

I’d say that’s fairly normal but appreciate you don’t agree.
I just thought your post was totally irrelevant and unnecessary.
Absolutely nobody is upset about it. In fact he's being roundly mocked.

The OP was making the point of the motive behind it and why it's done deliberately to provoke,
even though he looks like a prize bell end and the object of ridicule. (the Tim, not the OP:)))

I get the feeling that was towards the end of whatever goading he was doing .

It was at half time. Stood there for ages with his Yes flag and got little reaction so resorted to the crossing. As I posted above, as he was leaving he was giving Nazi salutes and pretending to be an IRA gunman so obviously wasn’t chucked out the first time. Folk just laughed at him.

Luther saw no wrong with Protestants doing this. This invocation isn't exclusive to Papists.

The Sign of the Cross in the Reformation​

At the time of the Reformation, things were no different. Conservative reformers such as the Church of England’s Archbishop Thomas Cranmer and, in Germany, Martin Luther did not abolish signing the cross. Still, they endeavored to appropriate its use to significant occasions such as Holy Baptism, Holy Communion, affirming the Creed, and the benediction at the end of Mass. Luther was especially concerned about retaining this meaningful act of worship, preserving nearly all of its liturgical and devotional uses. In the realm of catechesis, Luther took his lead from St. Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem (AD 315 – 386), who, in his ancient catechism for children, remarked:

Let us not then be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the Cross our seal made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat, and the cup we drink; in our comings in, and goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake… It is the Sign of the faithful and the dread of evils; for He has triumphed over them in it, having made a show of them openly; for when they see the Cross, they are reminded of the Crucified; they are afraid of Him, Who hath bruised the heads of the dragon. Despise not the seal of baptism, because of the freeness of the Gift; but for this rather honor thy Benefactor. [5]

Luther thought no different. He purposed to see to it that all children of the Reformation were liberated to worship the Lord in this most meaningful and dignified expression of faith and devotion. Consequently, he encouraged the signing of the cross with the invocation in his directions for morning and evening prayer within the Small Catechism. There Luther writes:

"In the morning, when you get up, make the sign of the holy cross and say, ‘In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.’ … In the evening when you go to bed, make the sign of the holy cross and say…." [6]
According to Don McLean, it is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

It was at half time. Stood there for ages with his Yes flag and got little reaction so resorted to the crossing. As I posted above, as he was leaving he was giving Nazi salutes and pretending to be an IRA gunman so obviously wasn’t chucked out the first time. Folk just laughed at him.
Simpleton.

Back