A look back at one of the most blatantly corrupt Referee performances by Kevin Clancy

Yes, Aribo should've got a penalty (although Clancy couldn't possibly see that from his position - but the linesman had a clear view)
Yes, Christie got away with that 2 footer (not sure what the Sellick free kick was for?)
Yes, Bolingoli should have got a second yellow

But

No, there was no punch on Tav by Brown (a shove with his arm - less than the Flanagan one on Brown at Ibrox)
No, not a second yellow for Christie. That's not a yellow card. Alfie made a song and dance of that
No, not a red for Julie-Anne. That wasn't even a foul

No, no off the ball foul by Julie-Anne on Alfie - a shoulder shove ffs - Alfie's a big boy
No, no foul on Jack. It was a 50/50 tackle
And the Sellick penalty was a penalty - it's just that Aribo should also have got his

Don't get me wrong. Clancy cheated a fair bit in that game (the above "yesses" are enough and there were many fouls given wrongly). But let's not go overboard. I sit next to a guy who sees every single decision against us as a cheating referee. Every single free kick against us is wrong. Every throw in should be ours. We're never offside, etc. and it's really really hard work.

Christie got a two match ban afterwards for it. He grabbed Alfie by the balls to stop him getting past him:
Untitled.png

Yes, it was a foul by Julien on Morelos going through on the box (both pulls him back and trips him) and should have been a red card as no genuine attempt made for the ball.

Two of the worse Refereeing performances ever seen in Scottish football history yet never once was it called out in the Scottish press.
But it would have been done if the Rangers Board had made a bigger stink about it - had they done so the matter would have gone national - the Scottish press would then have had little choice to get involved.

I've seen many bad performances by refs. 'Dodgy' or 'incompetent' is usually as strong as i go, but Clancys performance that day had the added ingredient of him willfully interpreting things to suit one team, his team.
Thats the big difference between him and the others.
I am so glad we won that day.
The thought of a defeated Clancy thinking he had done his bit but his shite team had still been defeated by us still delights me.

Quite incredible to think that rather than be demoted to officiate in lower /amateur league football after this. Clancy was awarded the next Celtic home match and another two before the season ended.

Footage also doesn't mention the fact that Clancy also added on extra minutes after the injury time had been exceeded after he sent Morelos off.

To think that the only outcome over this was for Morelos to get another ban again by the SFA and Rangers coach Michael Beale receiving a FIVE match ban for calling Clancy out in a touchline spat.

Ironically when the Scottish mhedia regularly drag up contentious decisions against Celtic when a Referee is about to take charge of their game. Absolutely nothing was ever reported on the performance of Clancy that day. It was every bit as corrupt as the performance of Beaton where he helped ensure Hibs would defeat Rangers at Ibrox in a similar outrageous performance. In both games despite Rangers being kicked off the park. It was Rangers that were reduced to ten men.

One of the few games in living memory that my phone lit up with neutrals in groups all jumping on board the ‘Celtic MOTM Clancy’ jokes etc. Guys usually jumping two footed into anything anti rangers felt compelled to comment about the clear bias.

The Morelos dive was a dive but in the whole spirit of game management they sometimes praise refs for, I think most refs alive in the world blow for FT there. It was full time for starters. And then have a word with Morelos to indicate he was only not red carded because time has expired. But not the bold Kevin he sent him off then managed to play on more than another minute of extra time.

On our return to the top flight I always felt we would have to be not just better than Celtic to win a league but be flawless in performance and discipline to have a chance. The refereeing in this country is poor but when their performances are of more concern than ours (to the media not least) it counts against us imo.

FWIW, I've never felt refereeing is corrupt in this country (Clancy's performance is probably the closest ive seen to 'bent'), I just feel they themselves, being part time, are surrounded by the same narrative and nonsense spouted in the press. It's bound to have an impact on your ability to be impartial in OF games.

I felt Clancy's performance in the summer of 2020 was more concerning but entirely in keeping with what we've seen from him so far. How to interpret "we know what's at stake this season".

Yet Gerrard’s interview after the game on sky ,he said when asked about the decisions “no complaints” this is when we should go after them more , when we win
At least point out some bad decisions that on another day may have been costly but fortunate on this occasion.

On 89 minutes he made Davis leave the field at the nearest point so as to give the scum the opportunity to take their corner as quickly as possible. Davis was pelted with missiles, which was always going to happen, Clancy should never have made him do that, fucking disgraceful.

Reliving the feelings of anger watching that and remembering that hibs game! You would think given that performance his family were being held hostage by someone till the game was finished or he needed a result for his betting slip?

The standard of officials in Scottish football is dreadful.
It’s just another consequence of the ineptitude of the governing bodies and our game will never progress as long as the current people wield the power
I noticed that after New Year last season the refereeing in our games became much more equitable.
I think this was because they realised that even they could not get the mhankies over the line.
It is much closer this season, so expect some shenanigans when this season restarts.

I've seen many bad performances by refs. 'Dodgy' or 'incompetent' is usually as strong as i go, but Clancys performance that day had the added ingredient of him willfully interpreting things to suit one team, his team.
Thats the big difference between him and the others.
I am so glad we won that day.
The thought of a defeated Clancy thinking he had done his bit but his shite team had still been defeated by us still delights me.

This is perfect summation (in bold). A shirt pull in one constitutes a penalty but not in the other.

The clips in the OP doesn't show the Julien shirt pull on Alfie in the first half.

I still think that Euan Anderson is by far and away the most incompetent prick of a ref I have seen since Alan Freeland…
Freeland was the only ref that his guide dog access to the refs room!!!!

Watching that short clip again, it looks as if Clancy has blown for a Celtc penalty before the corner-kick has even been taken.

I’ve a pal down here who thinks that Referees for Rangers v them games should not be allowed to be Scottish referees.

He’s probably right, but we just need them not to be child molesting Tims!

P.S. They still couldnae beat us! B-D

Imagine the score line if we’d had parity of esteem that day! Still one of the sweetest OF victories for me.

Looks like the cats got moes tongue Grigo.....too many among us frightened to say it as it is..Our league and SFA are infested with cheating anti Rangers bastards....
No one has my tongue, I was on during my lunch break. Clearly in our league and no doubt in the corridors of the SFA there are many who favour the dark side, but we are talking about a game refereed against the yahoos from 2019 which we agree highlighted outrageously poor refereeing. As others have said not only Clancy bit also Beaton and at that time Thomson, all 3 of them are utter pish, take your pick of the current crop you us such as Willie column etc The referees in Scotland are part time and most of them are not for for purpose , if referees in Scotland are “ corrupt” we might as well just chuck it.

That day just showed how much their corruption has paid off for them on the field of play,in the corridors of the football authorities and Scottish society in general
Our performance that day was worthy of a 4 goal mauling but that would result in refs and Rangers players being hit by coins etc and our players being attacked on the field of play by filth supporters
After the game in steps the media to heighten Kents goal celebration and Alfies sign both being used as attempts of violence towards the jolly craicsters
The lack of politicians queing up to condemn the racist and sectarian abuse directed at Alfie as he came off the pitch
They won't give that power up easily

It doesn't get much more blatant than that.

When he sends off Morelos (long after 4 mins injury time has come and gone), he again bends the rules to make sure the Tramps have another chance to get the ball up the pitch.

A scumbag.

Clancy also made Steve Davis leave the field by the shortest route which was the Broomloan Stand in front of the Celtic supporters. The SFA modified that rule to state that it only applied if it was safe for the player to leave by the shortest route. Clancy had no consideration for Davis' safety that day. He was desperate to give Celtic as much time as possible to grab an equaliser. No wonder Micahel Beale said why don't you just award them a goal.

Christie got a two match ban afterwards for it. He grabbed Alfie by the balls to stop him getting past him:
Untitled.png

Yes, it was a foul by Julien on Morelos going through on the box (both pulls him back and trips him) and should have been a red card as no genuine attempt made for the ball.
Spot on.

The only time i have ever thought a reff was cheating was him in our 2 1 win over them at there place. He was giving them free kicks for absolute nothing. I remember ryan jack and one of there players literary bumped in to each other and he gave them a free kick. This was at 2 1 with about five mins to go. He was doing everything in his power to get them up the park for an equaliser. He also played well over time.

Untitled.png

Think it looks worse than it was there - I doubt he meant to grab him there. I'd concede that could be a yellow though.

But the Julie-Anne one wasn't a foul by him. If anything Alfie tripped him.

A dishonest cheat. He should have lost his career as a referee after his performance, had it been the other way round and was blatantly trying to help Rangers he would not only have been out the game, his career as a lawyer would have been finished too.

As the OP says, the Beaton game was the worst I'd ever seen but Clancy certainly gave him a run for his money that day.

That's why it pisses me off when you get posters on here saying "don't blame the refs" etc...you can't always play at your best and win, so sometimes when the team takes a dip and you're up against that level of officiating of course it's going to have an effect.

BTW watching that video, look how quickly Clancy blows his whistle at certain situations. He'd already made his mind up no matter what.

The Bolingoli one is laughable. Literally no way to defend it at all.

Beaton was horrific that day as you say Gers, but Clancy :

Allowed a goal that was hand balled into the net.

Ignored the Christie pull on Aribo when he had given them a penalty, and Katic a yellow, for less of a jersey pull. Both in the box.

Ignored Christie’s baw grab on Morelos.

Christie was, IIRC, already on a yellow before both of these.

Ignored Bolingoli, already on a yellow too, a clear professional foul on Morelos, and didn’t second yellow him.

Morelos was sent off 2 minutes after his 4 minute injury time signal.

There were a few other Jullien issues, but maybe not 100% clear, so I’m excluding them.
GY
One of the worst decisions was Julien blatantly pulling Morelos’s shirt off his back when there was only two outfield players in the scum box
No one will convince me that was an honest mistake, how the officials missed that was dreadful

No one has my tongue, I was on during my lunch break. Clearly in our league and no doubt in the corridors of the SFA there are many who favour the dark side, but we are talking about a game refereed against the yahoos from 2019 which we agree highlighted outrageously poor refereeing. As others have said not only Clancy bit also Beaton and at that time Thomson, all 3 of them are utter pish, take your pick of the current crop you us such as Willie column etc The referees in Scotland are part time and most of them are not for for purpose , if referees in Scotland are “ corrupt” we might as well just
I think it's post 64 you should really be replying to ......that's if you have an answer...

GY
One of the worst decisions was Julien blatantly pulling Morelos’s shirt off his back when there was only two outfield players in the scum box
No one will convince me that was an honest mistake, how the officials missed that was dreadful

It’s hard to remember every decision Goggsy, that’s how bad he actually was mate.

Both referee 'performances' were diabolical mate but

Stokes headlocked Tav right in front of beaton then threw him to the ground. Yellow for both players.

Stokes later grabs Ryan Jack by the neck , Jack leans into stokes . Red card Ryan Jack.

Then ,the most unbelievable decision I've ever saw at Ibrox . Alfie was through on goal gets close lined by McGregor of Hibs, Free kick Hibs.

Aye because it's an old firm game it is more important to us because Clancy cheated LF, but Beaton against Hibs that day still defies belief mate
Beaton against Hibs was the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen. He really should not have refereed again after that. It was a disgraceful performance. Corrupt or incompetent I dont know but so far below an acceptable standard it should've been the end for him.

Back