A look back at one of the most blatantly corrupt Referee performances by Kevin Clancy

ThorntonMM

Quite incredible to think that rather than be demoted to officiate in lower /amateur league football after this. Clancy was awarded the next Celtic home match and another two before the season ended.

Footage also doesn't mention the fact that Clancy also added on extra minutes after the injury time had been exceeded after he sent Morelos off.

To think that the only outcome over this was for Morelos to get another ban again by the SFA and Rangers coach Michael Beale receiving a FIVE match ban for calling Clancy out in a touchline spat.

Ironically when the Scottish mhedia regularly drag up contentious decisions against Celtic when a Referee is about to take charge of their game. Absolutely nothing was ever reported on the performance of Clancy that day. It was every bit as corrupt as the performance of Beaton where he helped ensure Hibs would defeat Rangers at Ibrox in a similar outrageous performance. In both games despite Rangers being kicked off the park. It was Rangers that were reduced to ten men.

I'd had this down as the most openly corrupt performance I'd ever seen, and only watching that do I realise that I didn't even remember the half of it.

Any half-decent organisation would have had full blown investigations after this. In fact I still think Rangers themselves should have been kicking up absolute fck in the aftermath of this one.

Quite incredible to think that rather than be demoted to officiate in lower /amateur league football after this. Clancy was awarded the next Celtic home match and another two before the season ended.

Footage also doesn't mention the fact that Clancy also added on extra minutes after the injury time had been exceeded after he sent Morelos off.

To think that the only outcome over this was for Morelos to get another ban again by the SFA and Rangers coach Michael Beale receiving a FIVE match ban for calling Clancy out in a touchline spat.

Ironically when the Scottish mhedia regularly drag up contentious decisions against Celtic when a Referee is about to take charge of their game. Absolutely nothing was ever reported on the performance of Clancy that day. It was every bit as corrupt as the performance of Beaton where he helped ensure Hibs would defeat Rangers at Ibrox in a similar outrageous performance. In both games despite Rangers being kicked off the park. It was Rangers that were reduced to ten men.

The biggest cheating performance I’ve seen in watching the club for over 50 years.

Even if you are kind to him, he made 5 100% wrong match changing decisions in their favour.

I'd had this down as the most openly corrupt performance I'd ever seen, and only watching that do I realise that I didn't even remember the half of it.

Any half-decent organisation would have had full blown investigations after this. In fact I still think Rangers themselves should have been kicking up absolute fck in the aftermath of this one.
Rangers as ever deployed the old dignified silence role.

A game that we won despite the Referee doing all in his power to ensure we didn't. This should have been when we called it out.

The club didn't even bother to appeal the five match ban slapped on Beale. It truly was a disgrace from our board and you can be sure it the roles were reversed the scum would have fought it all the way and we'd still be reading and hearing about it.

Shortly after this game, I was down at a local outdoor football centre. There was a game between some old pros (some ex Rangers players) and a group of what seems to be just normal guys. The non-ex pro team were doing quite well considering but were getting beat by 4 or 5. Someone asks what the score was an another person, in jest, shouts ‘level!’. One of the ex rangers players replies with ‘Who the f*** is the ref, Kevin Clancy?!?!’.

So it seems even that even an ex player had concerns over Clancy’s performance that day.

I don’t like pointing the finger at a referee performances but this game in particular there’s definitely something going on. How he could get so many decisions blatantly wrong is strange.

It’s unbelievable how we went on to win the game. I guess we were just so superior it didn’t effect the outcome of the game.

This just shows why we need VAR desperately. Some of these decisions are shocking.

To be fair the first one was a penalty, it was crazy that Katic was pulling Julien's shirt like that. The punch on Tav happened after the shirt pull, so with VAR it probably should have been a penalty to celtic and red card for Brown.

I can't understand why players pull shirts in the box, very high risk and amateur behaviour.

some on here (plants) think he is just a poor ref.

Beaton against hibs was worse , as corrupt as Clancy was in this game, and he was, Beatons display that day was beyond belief

Beaton was horrific that day as you say Gers, but Clancy :

Allowed a goal that was hand balled into the net.

Ignored the Christie pull on Aribo when he had given them a penalty, and Katic a yellow, for less of a jersey pull. Both in the box.

Ignored Christie’s baw grab on Morelos.

Christie was, IIRC, already on a yellow before both of these.

Ignored Bolingoli, already on a yellow too, a clear professional foul on Morelos, and didn’t second yellow him.

Morelos was sent off 2 minutes after his 4 minute injury time signal.

There were a few other Jullien issues, but maybe not 100% clear, so I’m excluding them.

This just shows why we need VAR desperately. Some of these decisions are shocking.

To be fair the first one was a penalty, it was crazy that Katic was pulling Julien's shirt like that. The punch on Tav happened after the shirt pull, so with VAR it probably should have been a penalty to celtic and red card for Brown.

I can't understand why players pull shirts in the box, very high risk and amateur behaviour.

Cant believe you just watched this and thats the two pieces of information you took to write about

I don’t doubt for a second that a referees job is a difficult one, they have all sorts of things to consider when officiating. Keeping pace with the game. Ensuring the rules are adhered to and the game is fair. Watching every single player, action, ball movement and events off the ball.

These things would be difficult to do all at once, but there are guys out there who can do it and do it fairly well, whilst not getting everything 100% spot on, the one thing that most refs will always do is make sure the game is fair:

Clancy and Beaton are two of the absolute worst officials to every set foot on a football pitch. Clancy is abysmal, he’s corrupt to the point where it’s blatantly obvious. Everyone knows where his allegiance lie and yet there are those out there who defend him as a credible referee.

His performance that day was one of the worst to go down in Scottish football history. Blatantly allowing over 2 minutes over the injury time to try and let his favourite team equalise and then, inexplicably send Morelos off for a very soft dive, I mean it was really soft, but he couldn’t wait to send him off just to take the shine off our victory that day.

This just shows the level of Scottish football and the bowling club committee style governance that controls it. A bunch of idiots who couldn’t find their own arse.

A Southampton fan in my work literally said on the Monday morning to the tims I work with “that ref literally was like a 12th man for Celtic, done everything but put the ball into the net himself”.

Absolutely disgraceful refereeing and the most one sided I’ve ever seen

Morelos caused havoc that day this is what we need from the rest of the season from him.

Clancy should have never reffed again.

I don’t doubt for a second that a referees job is a difficult one, they have all sorts of things to consider when officiating. Keeping pace with the game. Ensuring the rules are adhered to and the game is fair. Watching every single player, action, ball movement and events off the ball.

These things would be difficult to do all at once, but there are guys out there who can do it and do it fairly well, whilst not getting everything 100% spot on, the one thing that most refs will always do is make sure the game is fair:

Clancy and Beaton are two of the absolute worst officials to every set foot on a football pitch. Clancy is abysmal, he’s corrupt to the point where it’s blatantly obvious. Everyone knows where his allegiance lie and yet there are those out there who defend him as a credible referee.

His performance that day was one of the worst to go down in Scottish football history. Blatantly allowing over 2 minutes over the injury time to try and let his favourite team equalise and then, inexplicably send Morelos off for a very soft dive, I mean it was really soft, but he couldn’t wait to send him off just to take the shine off our victory that day.

This just shows the level of Scottish football and the bowling club committee style governance that controls it. A bunch of idiots who couldn’t find their own arse.

Stewart Regan made sure all the placeman where in place under his tenure. From ref advisors to staff within. It would be very interesting if demographics where ever carried out at Hampden and all employees within that could be compared to Scottish averages.

If the fouls on Morelos was any other player his decisions may have been different. Morelos is fair game to the guy.

Ignored the Christie pull on Aribo when he had given them a penalty, and Katic a yellow, for less of a jersey pull. Both in the box.

Ignored Bolingoli, already on a yellow too, a clear professional foul on Morelos, and didn’t second yellow him.

There were a few other Jullien issues, but maybe not 100% clear, so I’m excluding them.
Well done for documenting all of these incidents of outright cheating by a septic minded referee
Seen I this short video the evidence is clear.
In any other league that has integrity Clancy would be booted out

Both referee 'performances' were diabolical mate but

Stokes headlocked Tav right in front of beaton then threw him to the ground. Yellow for both players.

Stokes later grabs Ryan Jack by the neck , Jack leans into stokes . Red card Ryan Jack.

Then ,the most unbelievable decision I've ever saw at Ibrox . Alfie was through on goal gets close lined by McGregor of Hibs, Free kick Hibs.

Aye because it's an old firm game it is more important to us because Clancy cheated LF, but Beaton against Hibs that day still defies belief mate

Last edited:
Back