A very hypothetical question based on the rumour that Newcastle were looking at SG to come in as manager

AndythephotoDr

First things first I don’t want Gerrard to leave and also I think the Newcastle story was garbage but let’s run with it a bit as one day Gerrard will go. Who or what type of manager would you want to come in at Rangers when it’s time to hire another Rangers manage?

Would you hire from within? Would you go for experience? Young manager looking to get teeth into big job? An ex Ranger or does that matter, foreign coach? Figurehead type with good staff under them?

I hope we have the structure in place which makes it fairly smooth transition with us having a DOF in place and hopefully a style which any new manager can fit into but I fear that when SG does go it will be total upheaval with him taking his entire team back to Liverpool (as I’m sure that’s the only place he will go after Rangers)

If we go young hungry manager is Kevin Thomson front runner for that type of role now he has some club experience? He knows Rangers and the system we have in place. He also seems to carry himself well and has the makings of a Rangers manager but would he be high profile enough for some?

Is there anyone out there that you think would be good fit and realistic to fit with our budgets, can handle the Scottish goldfish bowl?

I know it’s way too early perhaps but maybe worthy discussion piece

First things first I don’t want Gerrard to leave and also I think the Newcastle story was garbage but let’s run with it a bit as one day Gerrard will go. Who or what type of manager would you want to come in at Rangers when it’s time to hire another Rangers manage?

Would you hire from within? Would you go for experience? Young manager looking to get teeth into big job? An ex Ranger or does that matter, foreign coach? Figurehead type with good staff under them?

I hope we have the structure in place which makes it fairly smooth transition with us having a DOF in place and hopefully a style which any new manager can fit into but I fear that when SG does go it will be total upheaval with him taking his entire team back to Liverpool (as I’m sure that’s the only place he will go after Rangers)

If we go young hungry manager is Kevin Thomson front runner for that type of role now he has some club experience? He knows Rangers and the system we have in place. He also seems to carry himself well and has the makings of a Rangers manager but would he be high profile enough for some?

Is there anyone out there that you think would be good fit and realistic to fit with our budgets, can handle the Scottish goldfish bowl?

I know it’s way too early perhaps but maybe worthy discussion piece
There’s no way on earth a Rangers manager can be coming from Kelty Hearts.

With who or whatever manager we get in. I would like one that wouldn’t or doesn’t need a complete rebuild. Someone who can utilise/improve our current group either in the current system or maybe a brand new system/formation. Maybe give them a few signings but ones with quality. We simply can’t afford to start fresh all the time. I hope you get what I mean.

The biggest fear is if Gerrard goes elsewhere he takes the whole backroom team with him.

Mine too, I dont worry too much about a manager leaving tbh, it can and does happen, but a whole backroom team is a scenario I dont want to think too much about.

The biggest fear is if Gerrard goes elsewhere he takes the whole backroom team with him.
Which I imagine he would do.

The question is, does Beale get a better starting job than Rangers if he spends 2 successful years with SG at Newcastle or Liverpool as assistant? Or will he view it as potentially his only chance to win a PL?

You tell Beale he is head coach with Gary Mac and Defoe supporting him as assistants.

Consistency with opportunity for growth is the approach I would take.

Beale has been coaching at an elite level so far and has ambition. Whilst unproven as the front man, it would be a gamble but every manager is a gamble.
I’d be shocked if Beale, McAllister and probably
Defoe don’t go with Gerrard to wherever he eventually moves on to.

Lampard for me isn’t a good option as I’m not convinced he has enough proven track record from his previous roles

Loved Lampard as a player but I don’t think he would be the right person

I’m sure Ross Wilson will have options when Stevie G is ready to move on

When Stevie G goes he will also take his team and that leaves a huge void to replace with similar quality

Let’s hope the Newcastle interest is bollocks and we win 56 and the gaffer gets a crack at CL football

If Beale was offered it, then yeah I think he would accept.

Lampard nah
GVB same

Outwith that, my word it’s tough. If he doesn’t go now, then it’ll be happening within the next year or two so we need to plan

Kevin Thomson plucked as manager of Rangers right now should put shivers down your spine
would he have had more of a shot if he stayed at Ibrox and moved up the coaching structure as he was there?

Not saying a disagree with you as I only ask the question.

Some would argue our current manager was plucked from coaching youth football so does the type of person count more than experience?

I really can't fathom why people think Beale and Co will want to stay here instead of following SG to the Prem.

I'm old enough now to not lose sleep over managerial changes. We have limited resources and the next man's main checkpoint should be he has done a good job with little money.

would he have had more of a shot if he stayed at Ibrox and moved up the coaching structure as he was there?

Not saying a disagree with you as I only ask the question.

Some would argue our current manager was plucked from coaching youth football so does the type of person count more than experience?
Yes absolutely

If he goes, the entire coaching team goes with him (including Beale imo) so maybe its best if he goes mid-contract so we at least get decent compensation.

Because replacing like for like will cost a fortune, which we don't have - ironically because the current set up couldn't beat Malmo.

Either way, the financial implications of Gerard moving on are massive.

Fábio Cannavaro.
He is currently in China and he may well be interested in a big name European team to use as a steppingstone to one of the big Italian jobs.

It would be the same model as Gerrard, an icon of the game who certainly knows what a good defender looks like!!

If we needed a manager and Lampard was a contender, a lot would probably depend on who his assistant would be. I think Lampard would be good, but only if he had a good coach beside him.

I think we'd offer Beale the job and it would be up to him at that point.

He won't get offered many jobs bigger than us but if we win the league again, make the Champions League etc then Beale might feel he's achieved what he can with us already and want to go with Gerrard for a new challenge.

If Beale was offered it, then yeah I think he would accept.

Lampard nah
GVB same

Outwith that, my word it’s tough. If he doesn’t go now, then it’ll be happening within the next year or two so we need to plan
It is highly unlikely that Beale doesn't go with Gerrard, to wherever that may be.

Beale is the natural choice but if we were going down the ex-player route then I would wonder about Rino Gattuso being offered the job.

If he goes, the entire coaching team goes with him (including Beale imo) so maybe its best if he goes mid-contract so we at least get decent compensation.

Because replacing like for like will cost a fortune, which we don't have - ironically because the current set up couldn't beat Malmo.

Either way, the financial implications of Gerard moving on are massive.
I’m not sure it would be best if we have to completely rebuild during a very important season

If Beale was offered it then I would be happy enough with him. After that I'm not so sure to be honest Davidson probably the only standout candidate in Scotland is he good enough to come in and take us forward? Im not sure suspect he will be down south by the time we come to replace Gerrard. My own opinion is Gerrard regardless of what happens this season will leave in the summer.

Kevin Thomson isn't ready but he's worked closely with the current management team whilst at the club to have the 18s/B team playing the same way as the first team. Another job after Kelty then he would probably become a candidate moving forward given how open he has spoken about wanting to be the manager.

as I’ve yet to give an opinion on the questions I’ve asked I think Rangers need to appoint a figurehead who would excite the fans and be a big enough name to have more ego than the squad .

If it had to be someone who knows the club I’d love to have Rino Gattuso with decent coaches around him. I think he is a guy fans would take to and would be one who wouldn’t take any crap.

Signing Eddie Howe would be a right laugh mind you

Genuinely not sure but Wilson will have lists of options I’d imagine.

Gerrard leaving will be his first proper test

Gerrard will take his whole back room staff with him where ever he goes in the future. Beale, mccalister and co will be gone.

What happens if Wilson also goes with SG that could be a huge problem.
Wilson should be identifying a replacement for Gerrard and sorting that out not going with him.

The role of director of football won’t see him leaving the club

Fábio Cannavaro.
He is currently in China and he may well be interested in a big name European team to use as a steppingstone to one of the big Italian jobs.

It would be the same model as Gerrard, an icon of the game who certainly knows what a good defender looks like!!
I thought I saw Cannavaro at one of the EPL games at the weekend?

Back