A very hypothetical question based on the rumour that Newcastle were looking at SG to come in as manager

If we qualified for the CL I'd be happy to bring in lampard and start making use of our academy tbh. He done fairly well with the youngsters at Chelsea when he first took over.

Just my opinion but once we qualify for CL there is nowhere else we can realistically go from there and I'd be happy to start developing youth.

With the possible exception of Gary McAllister were the board to offer him the job?

I can’t see that happening btw.
No, I don't think McAllister would be in the frame mate.

Just my opinion but I just can't see any of the backroom team staying in the event of Gerrard leaving.

Andriy Shevchenko is looking for a job in Britain. Done a really good job with Ukraine, maybe an outside shout. Obviously a world class footballer as well. Would maybe command a level of respect close to Gerrard. Perhaps not as much but up there. I like the idea of GVB as well
This is the type of thing that is more likely. There will be names that practically none of us will have thought of.

As mental as this might sound, would Steve Bruce make a cnut of it? Based on how wide open at the back the Geordies are, you’d have to say yes. But could he thrive in Scotland? He certainly seems to know some foreign markets.

Before anyone berates me, I’m not for a second saying that I’m a proponent of such an appointment. I’m just trying to be somewhat realistic if the board weren’t attractive from a spending power perspective. Who could we attract? Another recently retired global superstar with managerial aspirations but no real clout?

I don't think Beale is what we require.

Rangers need a freshness , a new impetus. We're stale and not much fun to watch. Beale has been apart of that.

He's been a fantastic coach for us but I think us and him need a new challenge.

No, I don't think McAllister would be in the frame mate.

Just my opinion but I just can't see any of the backroom team staying in the event of Gerrard leaving.
Agreed mate. I’ll wager that Gary covets the job though if he still feels that he could be his own man again one day.

I would offer it to Beale but if not him then I'm unsure who would be next on the list.
What about the Denmark coach very under the radar but I think he's been superb. He seems to be getting the best out of players and the style of football they play is of a very high standard. It surprises me no Clubs have shown an interest,but I think he'd be a great fit.

Im actually astonished at the amount of people who would take Beale. Whats it based on? The assumption he is some sort of tactical genius? The truth is Gerrard is the man at Ibrox, he has a great backroom team, but hes the one that makes it work.

Im not comfortable giving Beale his start in management. Before anyone mentions Gerrard himself, the 2 arent remotely comparable. Gerrards experience at the highest level of football, working under the best coaches and the general respect that he has earned from his players, cant be bought. The Beale suggestion reminds me of the Cathro one.

The JDT suggestion is my favourite so far.
If you were the new owners of Newcastle - inheritors of a dysfunctional club, but with a massive budget even by EPL standards to turn things around - why would Gerrard be viewed as a top candidate to entrust with the rebuilding project? Granted he has done well at Rangers, but does he have the requisite depth of experience to take over a team who play in the most competitive league in the world and fulfill the ambitions of the new ownership? I'd say no.
If you take for example Brendan Rodgers, who had managed to build Swansea into an overachieving team, then brought Liverpool to within a hair's breadth of winning the EPL, coupled with his experience as manager of the bheasts, this is the sort of CV that if you were an owner of Newcastle that you'd feel comfortable entrusting your investment to. But Gerrard has nothing like this range of managerial experience to offer. In terms of his managerial pedigree, he still has much to prove.

Like his great midfield rival Frank Lampard discovered, managing a team with huge expectations, with a wealthy, ambitious owner constantly breathing down your neck, isn't that easy. The situation he took on at Chelsea was a one that required an experienced manager - which Lampard wasn't. The difference that we saw at Chelsea when an experienced manager (Tuchel) took over was dramatic. Tuchel, within a season, managed to transform largely the same group of players, into Champions League winners. As I said at the outset, Gerrard still has much to learn as a manager. IMO, he'd be well advised to resist the Newcastle siren song and remain at Ibrox for a while longer.

If you were the new owners of Newcastle - inheritors of a dysfunctional club, but with a massive budget even by EPL standards to turn things around - why would Gerrard be viewed as a top candidate to entrust with the rebuilding project? Granted he has done well at Rangers, but does he have the requisite depth of experience to take over a team who play in the most competitive league in the world and fulfill the ambitions of the new ownership? I'd say no.
If you take for example Brendan Rodgers, who had managed to build Swansea into an overachieving team, then brought Liverpool to within a hair's breadth of winning the EPL, coupled with his experience as manager of the bheasts, this is the sort of CV that if you were an owner of Newcastle that you'd feel comfortable entrusting your investment to. But Gerrard has nothing like this range of managerial experience to offer. In terms of his managerial pedigree, he still has much to prove.

Like his great midfield rival Frank Lampard discovered, managing a team with huge expectations, with a wealthy, ambitious owner constantly breathing down your neck, isn't that easy. The situation he took on at Chelsea was a one that required an experienced manager - which Lampard wasn't. The difference that we saw at Chelsea when an experienced manager (Tuchel) took over was dramatic. Tuchel, within a season, managed to transform largely the same group of players, into Champions League winners. As I said at the outset, Gerrard still has much to learn as a manager. IMO, he'd be well advised to resist the Newcastle siren song and remain at Ibrox for a while longer.
I reckon that just about covers it.

I have a gut feeling Kevin Thomson will be the next Rangers manager. No rhyme or reason to it, just a feeling I have.

Mick Beale wants to be a manager one day doesn't he? Well, it's similar to the time when the magnificent bastard went to Liverpool. We did alright after he left iirc.

Experienced candidates: Rudi Garcia, Chris Wilder, Quique Setien, Paulo Fonseca

Left field candidates: Xabi Alonso, Rino Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Andriy Shevchenko, Sergi Rebrov (UAE) Jon Dahl Tomasson (Malmö) , Gio van Bronckhorst

Meh candidates: Frank Lampard, Eddie Howe, Frank de Boer, Andre Villas Boas

A varied amount on offer really. Some interesting names amongst that lot. Lucien Favre is free at the moment but I think he's beyond our budget tbh. A few of the names in the experienced coach bracket might be tbh. Kevin Thomson is very inexperienced and I'm not sure he's quite got the gravitas yet. I feel the same way about Defoe. Imo, if Gerrard goes we'll need someone either with serious coaching chops or someone with a similarly elite level mentality. I also think the majority of the current coaching staff leaves with Gerrard, including Mick Beale.

You tell Beale he is head coach with Gary Mac and Defoe supporting him as assistants.

Consistency with opportunity for growth is the approach I would take.

Beale has been coaching at an elite level so far and has ambition. Whilst unproven as the front man, it would be a gamble but every manager is a gamble.
^ Absolutely this, I know we will miss SG but the importance of Beale should not be underestimated

Which I imagine he would do.

The question is, does Beale get a better starting job than Rangers if he spends 2 successful years with SG at Newcastle or Liverpool as assistant? Or will he view it as potentially his only chance to win a PL?
Just don't see it being Beale. Will be Murty act 2. Beale is part of a management team and plays his part but gets far too much credit for everything we do. We hear about him as being a great tactician but I don't see evidence recently of any great flexibility in that department. And as for all this get the Kelty manager stuff in..... Will be time to go Dutch again...Gio.

Rino gattusso would also be another decent managerial candidate for the rangers job in my opinion, if Steven Gerrard was to leave, gattusso did well with Napoli in a better league than the spl, and he wouldn't take any shite of anybody
Think Rino is a real left field option, would be very unpredictable and I think a risk but he'd bring a lot of passion to it. Imagine him on the touchline at an old firm game or dealing with media here. Would certainly be great entertainment.

He will need to prove himself or accept a job as a coach before becoming ass
Has he grown a set of wheels and seats? That's as close to being first team coach as he will be getting. Not so long ago it was get Barry Ferguson in. Someone even mentioned Tam Courts the other day. We may aswell set up a Rangers job centre in Kelty. The Kelty baker can provide the pies, Kelty plods on security and we can move the B team there next season.

I’m hoping that Steven Gerrard works through his contract, wins us another title and has a positive go at the Champions League with us next season. I think that would be the best strategy for him to achieve his Liverpool dream. Winning titles and building on his excellent European record as a manager with Rangers will do more for his coaching / managerial credentials than saving Newcastle from relegation with an influx of millions in a January transfer window.

I‘m hopeful he sees it that way too but I do get the impression that he’s been less than impressed with the last couple of transfer windows and seems a little jaded with the monotony of Scottish football. Although his celebrations after the Hibs victory suggested the passion is still there, I do detect some increasing frustration. The playing squad appear less inclined to able to do what he wants based on performances this season and perhaps there is an increasing feeling that without significant investment he can do little more here to improve things. Perhaps the main thing that would persuade him to move south as a stepping stone to Liverpool is the family situation though.

Anyway I hope this decision is delayed for a couple of years but if not, some of the suggestions here that are of interest to me would be Jon Dahl Tommason, Gio vB, Eddie Howe. Of the Scottish candidates, Callum Davidson is worth taking seriously, he clearly has the ability to put a winning team together with limited resources. I doubt we’ll promote a member of the back room staff, I think they’d go wherever Gerrard goes, including Beale and Gary Mac. One thing is for sure though, we’d find it VERY hard to replace the superstar impact of Gerrard in terms of profile and attracting players.

Back