A very hypothetical question based on the rumour that Newcastle were looking at SG to come in as manager

Would it be totally out of the question to go after someone like brentford manager Thomas frank?
Could we match his wages? maybe the offer of working at a bigger club, going for a title, euro football and domestic trophies could sway him.
he certainly has a great thing going down there at the minute.

I thought I saw Cannavaro at one of the EPL games at the weekend?
Yes he was, cannot remember which game, but the minute I spotted him, I googled him to see what he is up to.
Dunno if he would even contemplate coming to Scotland though.

I think the biggest problem we have is Gerrard taking his staff with him. It won't be just Beale, Gary Mac, Culshaw, Milson...itll be the doctor and all his medical staff as well. We won't be only looking for a new gaffer when Gerrard goes but a whole new background team.

I thought I saw Cannavaro at one of the EPL games at the weekend?
He was at one of them and that is why his name came to my attention.
And then looked up to see what he was doing.
He would be a replacement of the same level who has managed with a degree of success in China for a number of years.
Money is not going to be a motivating factor for him as he made so much playing, and I suspect a real wedge in China too.
If we are looking at replacing one icon with another, the compensation from Newcastle might well allow us to do that!
Can you imagine the uproar from the bigots on the other side if a citizen from the home country of the papist regime was to be our manager!!!

I think the biggest problem we have is Gerrard taking his staff with him. It won't be just Beale, Gary Mac, Culshaw, Milson...itll be the doctor and all his medical staff as well. We won't be only looking for a new gaffer when Gerrard goes but a whole new background team.

This is the concern. The Club will likely undergo a massive overhaul and I'd imagine a number of players would leave also. I really hope Wilson has got the required planning in place.

Would it be totally out of the question to go after someone like brentford manager Thomas frank?
Could we match his wages? maybe the offer of working at a bigger club, going for a title, euro football and domestic trophies could sway him.
Expect him to be too of the list for a few bigger teams down south soon

Rino gattusso would also be another decent managerial candidate for the rangers job in my opinion, if Steven Gerrard was to leave, gattusso did well with Napoli in a better league than the spl, and he wouldn't take any shite of anybody

This is the concern. The Club will likely undergo a massive overhaul and I'd imagine a number of players would leave also. I really hope Wilson has got the required planning in place.
Would be a lot easier done in the summer rather than midway through a season so hopefully all this Newcastle stuff is just rubbish

Enjoying the number of recommendations based on the suggested person ‘not taking any shit’ , knowing what it’s all about’ etc rather than any demonstrable ability whatsoever.

You tell Beale he is head coach with Gary Mac and Defoe supporting him as assistants.

Consistency with opportunity for growth is the approach I would take.

Beale has been coaching at an elite level so far and has ambition. Whilst unproven as the front man, it would be a gamble but every manager is a gamble.
This. Has to be wee Beale for me he’s waited long enough for his chance. Hopefully not in January though , too soon

You tell Beale he is head coach with Gary Mac and Defoe supporting him as assistants.

Consistency with opportunity for growth is the approach I would take.

Beale has been coaching at an elite level so far and has ambition. Whilst unproven as the front man, it would be a gamble but every manager is a gamble.

Not a chance now. Maybe before he had the success with brentford it would have been possible.

It worked with Walter, post Souness,so a combination of Beale and Defoe,and McAllister,if he doesn't go with Gerrard.although I hope it doesn't happen in the near future.

Some of the suggestions here are giving me a right laugh! However in fairness I have no idea, Gerard was a completely left field option so it’s possible the replacement would be the same.

I’m pretty confident we will have Gerrard till the end of the season. Let’s see how David Wagner does in his first season with Young Boys, seems to have started well in a similar league to ours where he’s expected to win the title.

Fábio Cannavaro.
He is currently in China and he may well be interested in a big name European team to use as a steppingstone to one of the big Italian jobs.

It would be the same model as Gerrard, an icon of the game who certainly knows what a good defender looks like!!
This.

But Xavi.

I think a Rangers manager needs to have a certain stature, an aura about him. Smith, Advocaat, Sounness, Gerrard all had it.

I think Gio and Thomasson are the best shouts so far. Both had elite level club and international careers, stayed at the top for a long time, are respected pand known across Europe and carry themselves with an air of confidence.

Both are also relatively young coaches with initial domestic success and could really kick on with us.

The idea of Beale taking over gives me the fear to be honest. We need a statesman like figurehead and keep the Beales etc in the background doing their magic.

I think Gerrard takes all those staff with him anyhow

First things first I don’t want Gerrard to leave and also I think the Newcastle story was garbage but let’s run with it a bit as one day Gerrard will go. Who or what type of manager would you want to come in at Rangers when it’s time to hire another Rangers manage?

Would you hire from within? Would you go for experience? Young manager looking to get teeth into big job? An ex Ranger or does that matter, foreign coach? Figurehead type with good staff under them?

I hope we have the structure in place which makes it fairly smooth transition with us having a DOF in place and hopefully a style which any new manager can fit into but I fear that when SG does go it will be total upheaval with him taking his entire team back to Liverpool (as I’m sure that’s the only place he will go after Rangers)

If we go young hungry manager is Kevin Thomson front runner for that type of role now he has some club experience? He knows Rangers and the system we have in place. He also seems to carry himself well and has the makings of a Rangers manager but would he be high profile enough for some?

Is there anyone out there that you think would be good fit and realistic to fit with our budgets, can handle the Scottish goldfish bowl?

I know it’s way too early perhaps but maybe worthy discussion p

I don’t know who it would be but is it not the case that Southampton constantly scout and track managers in the same way as they do players, using their “black box”, and that Wilson introduced similar technology at Ibrox? So they constantly have a list of 10 (or whatever the numbers is) prospective managers in the same way as they have a list of 10 left backs etc? Part of the rationale I think was that you don’t want a new manager to completely change the way you play and thus have to swap in and out loads of players over multiple transfer windows just because you changed your manager.

Van bronckhorst did well with feyenoord. Pretty sure he won them their first title in almost 20 years. I'm not too sure what happened after he left them though. Based on that he would be one I'd be thinking about at least.

Our biggest fear should not be losing just Gerrard. It's whether or not his whole backroom staff goes too! Don't underestimate how important they work as a team and that impact has had on the whole club. I'm just hoping he does not bite if the rumours are true.

First things first I don’t want Gerrard to leave and also I think the Newcastle story was garbage but let’s run with it a bit as one day Gerrard will go. Who or what type of manager would you want to come in at Rangers when it’s time to hire another Rangers manage?

Would you hire from within? Would you go for experience? Young manager looking to get teeth into big job? An ex Ranger or does that matter, foreign coach? Figurehead type with good staff under them?

I hope we have the structure in place which makes it fairly smooth transition with us having a DOF in place and hopefully a style which any new manager can fit into but I fear that when SG does go it will be total upheaval with him taking his entire team back to Liverpool (as I’m sure that’s the only place he will go after Rangers)

If we go young hungry manager is Kevin Thomson front runner for that type of role now he has some club experience? He knows Rangers and the system we have in place. He also seems to carry himself well and has the makings of a Rangers manager but would he be high profile enough for some?

Is there anyone out there that you think would be good fit and realistic to fit with our budgets, can handle the Scottish goldfish bowl?

I know it’s way too early perhaps but maybe worthy discussion piece
Who ever takes this Newcastle job has a massive task on there hands keeping them up. No matter how much money you spend in January it will take time for the new players to settle which will make the job even harder. Also reckon whoever the manager is, if they get relegated they will be sacked Especially if the new owners flash money in January.

That being said the danger is not losing Gerrard himself, it’s the whole coaching team could go with him.
Can’t see him leaving us with the chance of another title and group stage Champions League football for a relegation battle that could cost him his job.

Fábio Cannavaro.
He is currently in China and he may well be interested in a big name European team to use as a steppingstone to one of the big Italian jobs.

It would be the same model as Gerrard, an icon of the game who certainly knows what a good defender looks like!!
He was earning over 10 million a year, mate.

I think a Rangers manager needs to have a certain stature, an aura about him. Smith, Advocaat, Sounness, Gerrard all had it.

I think Gio and Thomasson are the best shouts so far. Both had elite level club and international careers, stayed at the top for a long time, are respected pand known across Europe and carry themselves with an air of confidence.

Both are also relatively young coaches with initial domestic success and could really kick on with us.

The idea of Beale taking over gives me the fear to be honest. We need a statesman like figurehead and keep the Beales etc in the background doing their magic.

I think Gerrard takes all those staff with him anyhow

I think Steven Davis has the right characteristics to be a good manager, he seems like a very professional quite intellectual type of person, a bit like Walter Smith. He has said that he wants to get into management in the below interview.

I don’t know about Beale or McAllister tbh?

Beale is clearly a good coach but he’s never managed before and he’s not got the same aura about him as Gerrard. When Gerrard eventually does go he probably takes his entire back room staff with him - a fresh start may not be a bad thing?

Certainly hope it’s not some one like Callum Davidson. Simply not the best man out there for the job.

Back