A very hypothetical question based on the rumour that Newcastle were looking at SG to come in as manager

I'd definitely be offering it to Beale and giving him a decision to make. Try and keep the disruption to a minimum.

Forget about Cannavaro, the guy is an absolute fortune in China. Like £12m a year fortune and has 2 year left on that deal.

No way are forking out anywhere near that amount for manager, not talking about wage even if Cannavaro fancied a wage drop the compensation we would have to pay is far far too much

I'd assume Beale and the rest of the backroom team would also take the millions on offer at Saudi Newcastle.

Van Bronckhorst seems a reasonable choice if he'd come here.

I think a Rangers manager needs to have a certain stature, an aura about him. Smith, Advocaat, Sounness, Gerrard all had it.

I think Gio and Thomasson are the best shouts so far. Both had elite level club and international careers, stayed at the top for a long time, are respected pand known across Europe and carry themselves with an air of confidence.

Both are also relatively young coaches with initial domestic success and could really kick on with us.

The idea of Beale taking over gives me the fear to be honest. We need a statesman like figurehead and keep the Beales etc in the background doing their magic.

I think Gerrard takes all those staff with him anyhow
This is my thinking. Beale is very good at what he does but I just can't see him as the main man, suited and booted and being the figurehead and everything that comes with it.

None of the names mentioned on the thread enthuse me. Could GVB cut it? Would he import a Dutch side which would need rebuilding as soon as he was tempted elsewhere?

Kevin Thomson is so wide of the mark it is unreal. He’s nowhere near ready. I’d sooner appoint Tommy Sloan.

Rangers would need someone with some sort of stature in the game and preferably someone with a track record of delivering success. If the board want to continually appoint someone without a demonstrable track record because they don’t want to accede to the presumed transfer budget demands, then we better get used to the likes of Robbie Neilson or a Calum Davidson being touted as Stevie’s replacement.

As long as it isn’t a lesser light from England’s lower leagues.

Im actually astonished at the amount of people who would take Beale. Whats it based on? The assumption he is some sort of tactical genius? The truth is Gerrard is the man at Ibrox, he has a great backroom team, but hes the one that makes it work.

Im not comfortable giving Beale his start in management. Before anyone mentions Gerrard himself, the 2 arent remotely comparable. Gerrards experience at the highest level of football, working under the best coaches and the general respect that he has earned from his players, cant be bought. The Beale suggestion reminds me of the Cathro one.

The JDT suggestion is my favourite so far.

I would LOVE it if we were the first (to my knowledge) British / European professional club to appoint a female manager, the debate (putting it mildly) it would cause and the utter carnage that would ensue (elsewhere) if she brought home the title.

What a bizarre perspective. Rangers are the pinacle of Scottish football and you want to turn us into some bizarre social experiment?

What a bizarre perspective. Rangers are the pinacle of Scottish football and you want to turn us into some bizarre social experiment?

Not really. In the spirit of the hypothetical nature of the original post / a wee bit of fun and imagination.

Maybe I am semi-joking.

My worry about Gerrard going is the staff going with him but also players.

Not saying they would go to Newcastle but Gerrard has signed near enough every player in our squad and a few came because it was Gerrard.

Mainly Kent and Goldson but maybe Roofe and Tav aswell.

My worry about Gerrard going is the staff going with him but also players.

Not saying they would go to Newcastle but Gerrard has signed near enough every player in our squad and a few came because it was Gerrard.

Mainly Kent and Goldson but maybe Roofe and Tav aswell.
Newcastle will be shopping at a different level from Kent Tav Roofe and Goldson all good players but I think they will not be in Newcastle's thinking.
Goldson will be a free soon anyway.

Newcastle will be shopping at a different level from Tav Roofe and Goldson all good players but I think they will not be in Newcastle's thinking.
That's what I ment to say mate.

If Gerrard goes to Newcastle they might want to move on to other clubs.

I think players like Kent only ended up here because of Gerrard but I might wrong there.

T

That's what I ment to say mate.

If Gerrard goes to Newcastle they might want to move on to other clubs.

I think players like Kent only ended up here because of Gerrard but I might wrong there.
Definitely, Kent only came here because of Gerrard he will get a move quite easily I'd have thought.

I think the backroom team will go as well as they will see it as a massive opportunity.

Sophie Wallace with Gemma Arteron as her assistant I would like to see us change it up a bit, if you can't raise your game to perform for them there is something seriously wrong IMO.

I would LOVE it if we were the first (to my knowledge) British / European professional club to appoint a female manager, the debate (putting it mildly) it would cause and the utter carnage that would ensue (elsewhere) if she brought home the title.
I get your logic mate. Personally, I’m not sure that I’d give her the top job but I wouldn’t be averse to her working in the mens football department in some capacity.

I concur; if we were to partake in some serious blue sky thinking like appointing a lady and she went on to win the title, what a story that would be. In reality though, it would take balls of solid steel to ratify such an appointment.

Reactions: lwl
I’d like to see Gio in our hot seat class act as a player and as a person. I think he would be a great fit for us.
I also mentioned Rino when Warbs left and was ridiculed, then we had Pedro. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)):))

The biggest worry for me is that if SG goes, half his staff will join up with him again. Wouldn`t want that to happen.

I would like Kevin Thomson back as first team coach or assistant to prepare him for the job in the future, as for next manager I’m not so sure but has to be someone who knows the league

Kevin "I enjoyed a tackle in my day, Clive" Thomson as Rangers manager. Deary me.
He needs to properly earn his spurs first.

Who would sign for Kevin Thomson unless he garners a reputation as a tactician or a developer of players who can win football matches at a serious level?

I would like Kevin Thomson back as first team coach or assistant to prepare him for the job in the future, as for next manager I’m not so sure but has to be someone who knows the league
He will need to prove himself or accept a job as a coach before becoming assistant imho.

Back