Aberdeen manager job - what happened?

Waiting for Lennon to sober up ?

OIP.zes0uFp3rQYA8C1LEOk7vAAAAA

That's what I think as well. Plenty of times he threw the players under the bus with his post-match comments. One point he said "I can't see us winning a game."
No he didnt. He said "we will struggle to win a game if we continue to defend like that". Nothing wrong with that people say things like that all the time. He was simply saying his team needs to defend better.

It’s very clear that it’s obviously a manager who’s in a job that they want. If not, they’d have got someone in who was out of work after Robson was sacked and not the short term option till the end of the season which hilariously even backfired.

Don't think Dave Cormack's disastrous reign as owner/chairman of the club gets spoken about enough tbh, obviously not on here but in the wider media.

Appointed Stephen Glass, Jim Goodwin, Barry Robson - Glass was a bomb-scare from the off, Goodwin ended in disaster, Robson completely lost the dressing room and form collapsed.

Their wagebill must be around the third or fourth highest in the league. Apparently, a German consultancy has been conducting a review of their operations as well as assisting on the manager side.

Jimmy Thelin of Elfsborg was seemingly surprised at how long they took to get in touch, seemingly didn't dawn on the Sheep that he wouldn't leave within a week of the Swedish season beginning.

They've massively backed themselves into a corner, they may not plan on appointing a coach who is already in a job, but how can they not do that?

Would be a massive riddy appointing someone who was available all along.

Calum Davidson would have been an excellent choice
A very good one indeed.

I too was hugely impressed by the way in which he grabbed glory with someone else's St Johnstone team, giving him a far greater amount of time to dismember a squad and give the Saints a great opportunity to lose that unfashionable top-flight status.

Who knows? Had St Johnstone persevered for just a little but longer before giving him his jotters, they could be looking out stab vests for visiting Greenock right now, only needing a defeat against Livingston to achieve armageddon.

Perhaps they were unable to hire an armoured team bus for transport to the QB, and that's why they ditched Davidson early and replaced him with someone who knows what he's doing? One thing's for sure, Levein will be on more than they want to pay a manager, but Davidson landed them in a lot of shit and they needed someone who was proven to have a track record of digging clubs out of it.

Yes - get Callum Davidson in, you vile, twisted, Arctic arseholes, and get typing PA15 into the tractor SatNav.

I thought Lennon would have been appointed fairly sharpish tbh. Putting himself in the running just before Warnock left didn’t seem like a coincidence.
They obviously don’t want Lennon and were never interested or else he would have been appointed weeks ago as he is available so no need to delay.
If they end up appointing him now it means they have been knocked back by a few candidates and he is just a desperate appointment.
They will spin it like it was a thorough search and after interviews etc he is the best candidate.
We will all know that’s not the case.

Last edited:
I think the compensation for O’Neill is the issue.

IFA will want big money given he’s got 4 years on his deal.

Then that would mean that Septic will be the only team in Scotland never to be relegated from Scotland's top league .
Bullshit
We have never been relegated from the top league.
Granted we spent time out the league but we weren’t relegated.
We were thrown out the SPL and had to start at the bottom but not relegated.
We were docked points that season and still finished 2nd in the league.
After that the rest decided to take a kick when we were down and threw us out their private members club.

Bullshit
We have never been relegated from the top league.
Granted we spent time out the league but we weren’t relegated.
We were thrown out the SPL and had to start at the bottom but not relegated.
We were docked points that season and still finished 2nd in the league.
After that the rest decided to take a kick when we were down and threw us out their private members club.
Correct.

A very good one indeed.

I too was hugely impressed by the way in which he grabbed glory with someone else's St Johnstone team, giving him a far greater amount of time to dismember a squad and give the Saints a great opportunity to lose that unfashionable top-flight status.

Who knows? Had St Johnstone persevered for just a little but longer before giving him his jotters, they could be looking out stab vests for visiting Greenock right now, only needing a defeat against Livingston to achieve armageddon.

Perhaps they were unable to hire an armoured team bus for transport to the QB, and that's why they ditched Davidson early and replaced him with someone who knows what he's doing? One thing's for sure, Levein will be on more than they want to pay a manager, but Davidson landed them in a lot of shit and they needed someone who was proven to have a track record of digging clubs out of it.

Yes - get Callum Davidson in, you vile, twisted, Arctic arseholes, and get typing PA15 into the tractor SatNav.

They didn't replace Davidson with Levein. They had Steven Mclean in for about 5 months or so.

Not to mention that Davidson won 2 more trophies with St. Johnstone than Levein has in his entire managerial career.

They didn't replace Davidson with Levein. They had Steven Mclean in for about 5 months or so.

Not to mention that Davidson won 2 more trophies with St. Johnstone than Levein has in his entire managerial career.
Davidson destroyed them,

McLean was an irrelevance.

Would you trust Alan Burrows to make a competent decision? Especially when Davie Cormack is likely to just make it himself anyway.

Equally it would be no shock horror situation to see someone like Lennon appear.

What happened to their super doopper new stadium?
The kingsford stadium was cancelled during Covid and a new plan was started. Which is probably lucky as the location for the new ground out of the city was rubbish. They have been trying to get the council to include it as part of the beach masterplan work that’s going on to renovate that area but don’t think they got far with that.

I’m no Aberdeen fan but including the stadium in those plans would actually be very good for the city but it won’t happen and I doubt they would get enough private investment.

From Burrows today:

“The search for a new manager is ongoing. I’d like to think it is entering the very final stages.

“We said a couple of weeks we hoped to appoint this during the international break but it looks unfortunately as if that won’t happen.

“But what I would say is it’s absolutely important we get this appointment right rather than quick.

“While this process has gone on longer than anyone hoped or anticipated the key focus is to ensure this appointment is right in the long term for Aberdeen Football Club.

“Rather than panic and go into something to get us through a timescale, it’s important we get it right.”

“The search for a new manager is ongoing. I’d like to think it is entering the very final stages.
Hed like to think or he actually thinks? What exactly is the difference between 'final' and 'very final' as Ive never heard such an expression.
“We said a couple of weeks we hoped to appoint this during the international break but it looks unfortunately as if that won’t happen.
Not looks like, it wont, because I think the break is now over.
“But what I would say is it’s absolutely important we get this appointment right rather than quick.
Thanks for pointing out the importance of Executive's hiring the right people to Manage an organisation. Theyve already failed the quick part so lets hope for their sake it is indeed right.
“While this process has gone on longer than anyone hoped or anticipated the key focus is to ensure this appointment is right in the long term for Aberdeen Football Club.
Its only gone on longer than he said it would.
“Rather than panic and go into something to get us through a timescale, it’s important we get it right.”
Self imposed panic to get through a self declared timescale? That really would be the height of incompetence.

Incompetence the likes of which knows no bounds at Aberdeen FC.

With that said, we await the drying out and wheeling out of Neil Lennon...

Then that would mean that Septic will be the only team in Scotland never to be relegated from Scotland's top league .
I think you have outed yourself there.

There are heaps of teams hat have never been relegated from the top tier in Scotland, with us being the most notable amongst them.

Last edited:
You would be nuts to take that job just now, imagine being the manager with no transfer window who's reputation would end up in tatters if they went down via the play off which is a real possibly

Amateur hour. Time to call Raymond Sparkes to see if he's got anyone on his books available. Would be pretty apt.

Just hope they get relegated.

Back