Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 13:30 Sunday - Premier Sports

I would genuinely have taken a draw before the game. I was worried because I knew the manager would have a selection dilemma. Gerrard's thinking (imo) is, "We've done well in the past 3 games, no need for a change". My thinking was that Aberdeen would make it very physical and we needed to be up for it. I was right and we were not up for it from the very start. Ross McCrorie should have been an automatic selection today and I am disappointed that neither Gerrard nor McCallister could see that. When we beat that mob at the end of December, McCrorie's presence was huge. When we are faced with a big physical challenge in midfield, we need Ross McCrorie in our team.

Some amount of overreacting on this today. Yes we were rotten in the 1st half but second half we improved. We are still in the cup and we have a chance to put it right in the replay. Thought big Worrall was class in the second half and Kamara once again was a standout performer in a midfield that wasn't great.
Exactly this. The sheep gave their all out there. We got a result. Back home now so not the end of the world. Some pure roasters on here, absolutely clueless thinking we are the finished article and should steamroller every team. Gerrard is the man and he knows the limits of his players and who can trust to perform. A good few of them won't be here in two years time providing we have the dosh for the upgrades required.

I didn't enjoy the game at all. I thought we were 2nd best first half and although we improved 2nd half, we were still disappointing. I'm happy to get a second shot at beating this shower.
On a positive note, Kamara looks like a steal and his defence of Arfield is what I want to see from Rangers players.

Seen the replay, there's no foul on Goldson before it. Goldson was just unlucky with McKay-Steven's positioning, but it was a penalty.
Sorry mate - no matter how many times I replay this - McKS very clearly taps Goldsons foot first - which is actually what causes both of them to tumble
I can understand why the ref gives it but I really can't see what Goldson does wrong - or what else he could have done for that matter ??

Plus...it makes a change from us dominating the games against them and getting f-all. Hope they are sick and we absolutely give them a do-in at Ibrox.

Sorry mate - no matter how many times I replay this - McKS very clearly taps Goldsons foot first - which is actually what causes both of them to tumble
I can understand why the ref gives it but I really can't see what Goldson does wrong - or what else he could have done for that matter ??

They don't tumble though - Goldson tries to clear the ball and doesn't notice the McKay-Steven is there. McKay-Steven does stick his left boot across, but Goldson catches him when attempting to clear.

We weren't forced into a replay because of a dodgy penalty, we did ourselves over in the first 45.

I agree that Goldson had no other choice - let's it run and Aberdeen score, he's berated till the end of the season; he had no other choice.

I just don't see what McKay-Steven did in the run as a foul, I can't stand the wee prick, but I can't see his actions in that scenario as a foul.

We'll do them at Ibrox.

They don't tumble though - Goldson tries to clear the ball and doesn't notice the McKay-Steven is there. McKay-Steven does stick his left boot across, but Goldson catches him when attempting to clear.

We weren't forced into a replay because of a dodgy penalty, we did ourselves over in the first 45.

I agree the penalty didn't define the game & we 'beat' ourselves again by not turning up in the 1st half

Goldson's attempt to win the ball was clumsy at best and a schoolboy error when not fully shielding the ball as the opponent was so close behind him.
BUT the first contact comes from McKS
He clips Goldson first & once he does - what exactly can Goldson do ? He can't keep his balance & neither can McKS
I've watched this over 100 times & can't arrive at any other conclusion - so I'm just going to have to agree to disagree
Which is why football is what it is of course
No offence meant by the way

What the %^*&?

This Gerrard can do no wrong is utter pish. We had players on that park not performing, we had match winners on the bench.

It's not up to me to make a tactical change. That's what Gerrard gets paid to do.

And when your team is doing better you don't change things.

I agree the penalty didn't define the game & we 'beat' ourselves again by not turning up in the 1st half

Goldson's attempt to win the ball was clumsy at best and a schoolboy error when not fully shielding the ball as the opponent was so close behind him.
BUT the first contact comes from McKS
He clips Goldson first & once he does - what exactly can Goldson do ? He can't keep his balance & neither can McKS
I've watched this over 100 times & can't arrive at any other conclusion - so I'm just going to have to agree to disagree
Which is why football is what it is of course
No offence meant by the way

Mate, no offence taken. I agree that we have to just disagree, I just don't see it the same way.

I'd much rather have seen Goldson punt the ball behind for a corner than dither and be forced into a clumsy challenge.

Hopefully we aren't even talking about ifs and buts after the replay.

It's what he lets the other side off with which doesn't get recorded that matters.
What would be recorded would be the total number of fouls etc for and against for both teams in all games. If other refs average out about the same for Rangers v Aberdeen games and his are significantly different, he is treating us differertly.
You should also beable to see if he treats us differently than any other referee against any opposition.

1 minute extra in the second, ha ha ha ha, thats so funny. And the whistle blows for the last time. Utterly pathetic performance from the well paid players today, at least they will still be well paid. Bet Rangers give Aberdeen a big allocation for the replay, bet ye they do. Cant see the Bears filling Ibrox for it. 28 000 attendance prediction.

I hope you're a young guy Cauldwell, because if you're a grown man words fail me.

Happy we are still in the cup as we just never got going today.

We were second best all over the park first half but at least we upped the performance second half and got the goal. They had a couple of great chances but so should we have with quick breaks. Candeias ball to Kent was very unlucky that it just got caught up under his feet and then Kent ought to have played in DC as he was clear.

Confident we will beat the sheep in the replay.

As for 28,000 not a fecking chance that the game doesnt sell out.

Anti football from Aberdeen, break up the game with fouls, referee giving soft fouls for Aberdeen,same challenges for Rangers/Aberdeen ? different outcomes for same challenges (Aberdeen advantage). It's a slog trying to play a game and win on fair terms without "Clancy" type refereeing.

I would genuinely have taken a draw before the game. I was worried because I knew the manager would have a selection dilemma. Gerrard's thinking (imo) is, "We've done well in the past 3 games, no need for a change". My thinking was that Aberdeen would make it very physical and we needed to be up for it. I was right and we were not up for it from the very start. Ross McCrorie should have been an automatic selection today and I am disappointed that neither Gerrard nor McCallister could see that. When we beat that mob at the end of December, McCrorie's presence was huge. When we are faced with a big physical challenge in midfield, we need Ross McCrorie in our team.

This. I'd have Ross in the team every week but that's just my opinion. We didn't play well so a draw at Pittodrie isn't a bad result, previous Rangers teams would have been out the cup after days like this.

I just don't understand why we aren't able to 'mix-it' with this dolly side

They seem much more 'savvy' than us when it comes to conning the referee ( even allowing for poor refereeing)
they seem to be able to bully us whatever one player's stature is against another
& they always seem to get to the ball first or win 50 - 50 tackles

All these things make them sound like a good team - but they're not even all that well organised- as we proved on the 3 or 4 occassions we exposed them on the break - but regrettably didn't capitilise on

It's very frustrating, disappointing & really needs to be avenged as soon as possible

That,

and

a case of biased refereeing no more, no less !!

Last edited:
This. I'd have Ross in the team every week but that's just my opinion. We didn't play well so a draw at Pittodrie isn't a bad result, previous Rangers teams would have been out the cup after days like this.
This for me too. They bust a gut playing against us and I’d go as far as saying that this is possibly the best Aberdeen team for many a year. Yet we’ll totally cuff them at Ibrox.

every time I see the sheep play, its just brightens my day Mcinnes bottled it - their main tactic is stop the game of fitba being played. negative, predictable play , every player is schooled into just doing enough to get away with it (aided by the refs...) all over the pitch. in fact the pitch today was intentionally in this condition to stop a passing game being played - I have no doubts we will run all over this mob at Ibrox - the only thing stopping us is a ref decision etc

every time I see the sheep play, its just brightens my day Mcinnes bottled it - their main tactic is stop the game of fitba being played. negative, predictable play , every player is schooled into just doing enough to get away with it (aided by the refs...) all over the pitch. in fact the pitch today was intentionally in this condition to stop a passing game being played - I have no doubts we will run all over this mob at Ibrox - the only thing stopping us is a ref decision etc

Whilst I agree with you, it baffles me why the scum have no problem turning them over. There’s no way McIness changes his tactics for them yet it’s a comfortable win.

No chance he was going to change the team who had scored 14 goals in 3 games.
If anything he gerrard should of hooked jack who was having a poor game

I thought we were poor, lucky to be still in the cup. They caused problems all game from set-pieces yet we constantly gave away daft fouls in bad areas.

I know for a fact barisic isnt good enough.

I know for a "fact" that you don't know that for a "fact".

Is this you below?

2whm87c.jpg

was at the game at half time every bear said they would take a replay to many players never turned up yesterday

As Steven Gerrard is reported as saying to Premier Sport that "Aberdeen trained on the pitch yesterday and it hadn't been rolled, it hadn't been cut" it was interesting to see the lawn mowers out cutting the grass in the background while Steven Gerrard was giving his reaction on Rangers TV on the edge of the pitch after the game.

Whilst I agree with you, it baffles me why the scum have no problem turning them over. There’s no way McIness changes his tactics for them yet it’s a comfortable win.
I'll bet he'll drop/rest players against them at weekend. to save them for us

Back