Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 16:30 Sunday - BT Sports

We need to get in behind them second half. When we go wide for a cross their box is flooded and there’s no Arfield making late runs.
I’d put Middleton on through centre when Sadiq inevitably tires.

Poor in all honesty. Dominated possession but look toothless up front. Final ball has been pish and we’re definitely missing the work and movement of Alfie.

Sort of game we could chuck away with a brain fart at the back if we’re not careful.
This. If we had a final ball the game would be over.
Jack as a midfield player should have played Candeias in on goal, ....very poor.
We are also too slow in loading the box.
They need a fckn rocket up their arses.

Pretty much owned that half. Candy's played a blinder.

Recurring them seems to be with Ejaria playing a pass, and sprinting forward to receive a return and it not being picked up. Sometimes feels like the players are playing one touch too many. Hopefully it'll come quicker in the second half.

We work the ball into good wide positions. I'm not entirely sure what we're expecting to happen, though, when we don't have any numbers in the box. The overwhelming majority of the time, it's going to be won by the defender.

It looks like there's one goal in this. I can't say I'm confident we'll get it.

The frustrating ones are where Candeias beats the last defender out wide and then with nothing but grass between him and the one or two players arriving chips it up to the goalkeeper.

Playing well, but lack penetration. I can see the sheep's tactics. Hold on till about 15 minutes to go then start to attack us, hoping the Spartak game will slow us down. Aberdeen are entirely defensive, trying to hit us on the break. We are strolling it in the midfield but can't get through a packed defence. We need to score first and then pile it on.

We have come a long way in a short time, but we really need a real quality player in the middle of the park. We have loads of possession but aren't really turning it into chances.

So far the front 3 have not been making enough good runs off the ball to get open for through balls. It’ll come though.

Poor end product and too slow and deliberate at times.
Lots of possession but very little in end product.
Kent and Dan look lively and big Sadiq has done ok.

Lacking any penetration but lots of possession. Arfield will be the difference I think you unlock the play.

The long stoppage came just at the wrong time as we were pushing them further back. No concurrence as the half came to an end we were doing the same.
Missing Alfredo massively it’s not just what he does with the ball it’s the runs he makes that create space for others that we’re missing.
Only thing I can really fault us in is the quality of our crosses. They’ve been rank rotten.

Seriously though, blowing half time/ full time whistle is something which needs to be written in to the rules/regulations by FIFA, because it is something which affects all teams, all countries - ie. passage of play in progress, or dead ball situation, let it continue until the next out of play.
Calling half time without allowing a corner to be taken is pathetic !

In dire need of some creating passing up front. All this trying to pass the ball into the goal is just a wee bit reminiscent of Warburton. They know we aren't going to shoot and it shows. I hope SG has someone creative on his tranfer target list. For now, we need to try others such as Arfield, Middleton or Grezda and not wait until 4 minutes from the end. I worry that they will score from a break while we are passing the ball around the edge of the penalty area.

Our lack of quality and intelligence in the final third is there for all to see today. Other than that it’s been fairly comfortable so far.
I’d love to see big Sidiq grab us a goal early in the second half. We need that bit of breathing space and the big man needs to convince us that he’s worthy of getting a start today.

Game going the way I thought, sheep sitting in, our passing and non existent shooting in the final third is killing us.
As long as it’s 0-0 this shyte Aberdeen team can still nick it.
Need to up our game big time second half.

We are dominating the game, get the feeling aberdeen would take penalties right now.

We just need more cutting edge and better decision making in the final third

Sadiq is doing fine, but id like to see our mid field offer runs in support
His hold up play has been excellent

I wonder if its arfield for Jack?

Need to get a fcking shot on goal here,great possession poor up front.want a comfortable win 2nd half

Kent being kept quiet, nothing coming fron the left at all. Getting into great positions, just final ball lacking quality.

We keep passing it sideways or back. No one trying to turn a defender. Its all very well having the ball but there's no point if we dont attack them.

They are really over-egging that McGinn chance over the bar.

"He must score" -really? Anything towards either corner hits a defender. So he's 14 yards out and having to ram it down McGegor's throat to score.

Big Sadiq has done well for being out in the wilderness and I have said in other threads that he was absolute pish.

We lack anyone controlling the midfield and we’re just not direct enough. Shunting the ball our wide to find one Rangers player in a sea of sheep defenders is madness.

This. If we had a final ball the game would be over.
Jack as a midfield player should have played Candeias in on goal, ....very poor.
We are also to slow in loading the box.
They need a fckn rocket up their arses.
Bilko if we had a final ball we wouldn’t have lost a game this season. We are a very hard team to beat but that final ball.....

We are great in possession, solid in defense and getting the ball back but we have lacked real creativity most of the season in my view. Imagine what we could do with a Silva or a Hazard type of midfield maestro.

Anyone else think that Candieas is very guilty of stopping and crossing at times when he can keep driving into the box and make the cross easier and pull defenders out of position?

I really like him but at times I think his decision making is bizarre. First 20 minutes he was by far our best player that said. Just feel he could work on calming the fu*k down when he gets in a good position.

It’s great to have our Rangers back though. Gone are the days of teams coming and thinking they can beat us, Aberdeen are hanging on, yep they could fluke it but won’t be through being the better team,

Other than conceding the clear cut chance we’ve been in control and easily the better team. Some of the build up play is fantastic but unfortunately often lacking that final bit of quality. Couldn’t believe Jack didn’t roll in Candeias for a 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Solid if unspectacular 1st half. We really struggle to break teams down & always look best on the counter (which there hasn't been many in this half).

Candieas has been lively with some good passes through the back but he is such a mixed bag when it comes to that final bit of quality.

We miss Arfield big time in the midfield. His insightful passing & ability to find space in attacking areas are badly missed. We need to demand more from Ejaria and Coulibaly who are having little influence on the game.

When Arfield is back, I think it is a toss up between Jack and Coulibaly for the defensive role. Coulibaly just doesn't look as good playing slightly more advanced.

Anyway, it looks like anything we will create will come from either kent or candieas & most likely from a little break.

Back