Accies the victims of Fraud

An awful lot of tosh on this thread.

Most of the known facts in post #121.

Easy to say it shouldn't have happened; plenty businesses get caught out by this kind of thing. Thing is, it's a huge amount of money for Accies, and could have catastrophic consequences. Including insolvency. Including disappearing as a club altogether. Third time in my lifetime we've faced this thread.

For the record, I defy any of the "fūck them" posters to produce any vote or statement from Accies hostile to, or even critical of Rangers through your recent difficulties.

Obviously I'm an advocate of the Accies model. Invest in youth. Develop talent to move on when mutually beneficial. Never pay big transfer fees or big salaries. Maintain facilities appropriate to our climate. Operate within your means. Support the local community. It would be tragic if all this were to be lost due to falling for a criminal fraud.
All fair comments above. Hope Accies can survive this.

Easy to say it shouldn't have happened; plenty businesses get caught out by this kind of thing. Thing is, it's a huge amount of money for Accies, and could have catastrophic consequences. Including insolvency. Including disappearing as a club altogether. Third time in my lifetime we've faced this thread.

For the record, I defy any of the "fūck them" posters to produce any vote or statement from Accies hostile to, or even critical of Rangers through your recent difficulties.

Obviously I'm an advocate of the Accies model. Invest in youth. Develop talent to move on when mutually beneficial. Never pay big transfer fees or big salaries. Maintain facilities appropriate to our climate. Operate within your means. Support the local community. It would be tragic if all this were to be lost due to falling for a criminal fraud.

I'm sure all true football fans feel your pain & only wish your club well

I clicked on like your post as I came from Hamilton and my auld man's season ticket holder, however it's only natural posters are asking for equality in the way we were treated as also victims of fraud...

I'd guess that most of their fans were loving it when we were being raped by corporate fraudsters.

I think I read there that they didn't vote us out. They would have if they were there.

I'd guess that most of their fans were loving it when we were being raped by corporate fraudsters.

I think I read there that they didn't vote us out. They would have if they were there.
les gray voted for us to drop into the first division when was was kicked out the spl along with a few more, the rest voted we start at the bottom, Only those that voted against us in the SPL i would enjoy watching go through what they wished on us.

watch how this is handled if Hamilton are in trouble.

While you seem a most decent guy, and ordinary fans like us shouldn't suffer this shìt, it's understandable that Rangers fans should be demanding any potential insolvency is met with equal punishments.
While I'm sympathetic for the club being the victims of crime, the precedent has been set which ultimately is not Accies fault but the hate filled twisted bigots who saw an opportunity to kill off my club.

I'd like to think it won't mean insolvency, but if it does then the punishments simply have to be the same.

Heard from someone tonight it was a fraudster phoning up saying their bank account had been compromised and if they could transfer their money to another bank.

Bank not willing to help them.

Between 750 and 850k over 9 transactions.

That happened to me, I said I'd go down to my local branch the next day to sort it out queue "don't do that we can do it over the phone" then I knew it was a scam.

Sure enough my bank had nothing to do with it. They never got a penny.

Anytime you get these calls always say you will go to your local bank and sort it.

If they are genuine that won't have a problem with it.

You don't have to be rich or even have much for them to target you.

Still don't know how they got my name, telephone number and which bank I was with.

That happened to me, I said I'd go down to my local branch the next day to sort it out queue "don't do that we can do it over the phone" then I knew it was a scam.

Sure enough my bank had nothing to do with it. They never got a penny.

Anytime you get these calls always say you will go to your local bank and sort it.

If they are genuine that won't have a problem with it.

You don't have to be rich or even have much for them to target you.

Still don't know how they got my name, telephone number and which bank I was with.

No bank will ever, under any circumstances, ask you to perform actions like that over the phone. Ever.

Have Accies sold anyone recently that would mean they are due 750k in a transfer fee?

Is it possible that someone has been syphoning off ticket money over a period of time?

Oh poor Hamilton. After the way we were treated it will be interesting what the football authorities do next

Hear hear. It's awful watching your club get taken advantage of in a way that could put it out of business, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

apart from Celtic.

Heard from someone tonight it was a fraudster phoning up saying their bank account had been compromised and if they could transfer their money to another bank.

Bank not willing to help them.

Between 750 and 850k over 9 transactions.

Was at there game today and was told by a senior Accies official its nearer the 900k

Was at there game today and was told by a senior Accies official its nearer the 900k
if that is indeed the case, it would be hard to see them being able to ride this one out,, but as has been alluded to earlier,,the football authorities should be watched to see their response

At the risk of sounding judgemental.

Are they being run by simpletons?

So nobody at Hamilton noticed several transactions for very substantial amounts each time.. Nobody ? Sounds like an inside job. How on earth wouldn't you notice these amounts going out, Surely given they are a small football club with not a big income the red flags would be raised by the bank given the huge amounts of money being transferred from a small football club to another account.

Would banks not also be looking at these huge sums of money under the proceeds of crime act, Pretty sure they are obliged by law to question large amounts of money being moved from one account to another to make sure everything is all above board.

Not in the thirsting for revenge camp.
Hope that Rangers show class by offering Hamilton any help permitted by SPFL rules.
There's a difference between wanting revenge and wanting to be treated the same.
As I've said earlier, I hope it doesn't lead to insolvency for Accies.
If it is the case though, they simply must face the same punishments we did.

Plenty of bright people get robbed without them or their employees being complicit.
It wasn't a person who got robbed. It was a football business with a finance dept and departmental procedures enabling adherence to regulations and security. Getting a massive sum of money out of Accies would be easier by knowing what security and fraud prevention processes are in place and how to get round them.

did they come out with a statement condemning our treatment and how we had a witch hunt to finish us off

What's their turnover?
As of Jun 2016 they had circa £250k cash in the bank.
Even if the fraud has been over a longish period of time it's a massive sum to account for.

This is terrible. Accies are a fantastic team with an excellent youth set up, I'm involved at another academy and their coaches and attitude towards player development are both tremendous.

I don't recall any ill feeling towards us from Hamilton during our troubles and I certainly wish them all the best. Once we know all the facts we could maybe organise some sort of benefit match or something? I know a lot on here wont be for that but I'd like to see us help a fellow Scottish team and prove once again that we are and always will be better than the rest of Scottish football.

There's a difference between wanting revenge and wanting to be treated the same.
As I've said earlier, I hope it doesn't lead to insolvency for Accies.
If it is the case though, they simply must face the same punishments we did.
Spot on
Its not about Hamilton,its about the
SHFA/SHPFL and how treat this matter given precedent set by our treatment and the new regulations put in place following our evisceration
Cant believe the scale of the losses alledgedly 750K were incurred in a wholely innocent way

While you seem a most decent guy, and ordinary fans like us shouldn't suffer this shìt, it's understandable that Rangers fans should be demanding any potential insolvency is met with equal punishments.
While I'm sympathetic for the club being the victims of crime, the precedent has been set which ultimately is not Accies fault but the hate filled twisted bigots who saw an opportunity to kill off my club.

I'd like to think it won't mean insolvency, but if it does then the punishments simply have to be the same.

100% the way I feel

Huge sympathy for Accies, but massives fines from the SFA, whole squad stripped from them, thrown out of football entirely and made to re-apply for bottom tier, transfer and signing ban, is the established punishment for insolvency for any reason, whether it's the fans fault or not.

Again, genuinely sorry or Accies fans, but they must be treated the same way as we were

Not in the thirsting for revenge camp.
Hope that Rangers show class by offering Hamilton any help permitted by SPFL rules.

Fuq that.

I'll be raging if we offer anybody anything except the bird if they hit the skids for any reason at all.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, was even remotely interested in sticking up for our fans when we were being shafted by spivs and charlatans, so why the feq should we give a fuc about anyone elses fans now they are they are in trouble.

The precedent has been set. Massive fines. Stripped of team. Transfer and signing ban. Booted out of football. Re-apply at 4th tier.

Thems the roolz

They dont know what it means to be the victim of fraud. Couple of quid missing from your bank account,so what, try losing your football club.

Last edited:
It wasn't a person who got robbed. It was a football business with a finance dept and departmental procedures enabling adherence to regulations and security. Getting a massive sum of money out of Accies would be easier by knowing what security and fraud prevention processes are in place and how to get round them.

I didn't say it was. Whether as individuals or collectively people and organisations can, are and can be robbed no matter what regulations and practices are prescribed.

A friend of mine (a CA) detected a massive fraud not through the normal auditing process but because the person perpetrating the fraud was on holiday and an invoice came in - the scam then tumbled like a huge of cards. It was a financial services company - it never went to court and the monies were repaid.

100% the way I feel

Huge sympathy for Accies, but massives fines from the SFA, whole squad stripped from them, thrown out of football entirely and made to re-apply for bottom tier, transfer and signing ban, is the established punishment for insolvency for any reason, whether it's the fans fault or not.

Again, genuinely sorry or Accies fans, but they must be treated the same way as we were

Totally agree. Nothing against Accies, but the precedent has been set. If that treatment is disproportionate for Accies' situation, then it was disproportionate for ours.

Fuq that.

I'll be raging if we offer anybody anything except the bird if they hit the skids for any reason at all.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, was even remotely interested in sticking up for our fans when we were being shafted by spivs and charlatans, so why the feq should we give a fuc about anyone elses fans now they are they are in trouble.

The precedent has been set. Massive fines. Stripped of team. Transfer and signing ban. Booted out of football. Re-apply at 4th tier.

Thems the roolz

The only club that came to our aid was linfield .

The best we got after that was an abstention from Kilmarnock .

Rangers only for me

Those with the “%^*& them” attitude. That mind set gets you absolutely no where in business and is not a long term view that our club will, or should persevere with. I expect and would demand Accies are treated the same way we were by the SPFL The rules have been rewritten for events like this in the hope that Rangers would suffer another financial event and could be ‘nailed to the floor’. Accies are unlikely to become insolvent though given soft loans from directors.

Offering a benefit match is the Rangers way. Over the years we have helped other clubs when they struggle because we have a moral compass, unlike many others. We should offer a benefit match in January with a foreign team invited to Scotland if it becomes clear the monies are lost. We have to show we are Scottish Football and not be led by those morally bankrupt who wish they had the fibre we do.

Back