Accies the victims of Fraud

I didn't say it was. Whether as individuals or collectively people and organisations can, are and can be robbed no matter what regulations and practices are prescribed.

A friend of mine (a CA) detected a massive fraud not through the normal auditing process but because the person perpetrating the fraud was on holiday and an invoice came in - the scam then tumbled like a huge of cards. It was a financial services company - it never went to court and the monies were repaid.
Yes you're right. I just have a suspicion Accies can't be defrauded out of 3/4 of million pounds without an employee's "assistance".

Hamilton were in the second tier when the vote to expel us from the SPL took place in 2012 - they had no part of it. What has happened could be absolutely catastrophic for them, especially a small team that is doing well considering very few fans.

You don't say? Too fucking bad!

Is there any reason to suspect they wouldn't have joined in the bloodlust, vindictiveness and gloating of the rest of them if they had been in the SPL?
No sympathy for them.

CRIMINALS posed as officials from a bank’s fraud department to dupe Hamilton Academical FC into handing over almost £1m million, according to sources.

The Scottish Premier League club is reeling after losing the money to the gang.

Today, we can reveal how the fraudsters are thought to have conned the South Lanarkshire club.

A source familiar with details of the fraud said: “There’s sympathy for what’s happened but there’s a degree of surprise they’ve fallen for the scam.

“It seems fraudsters contacted Accies to say they were from their bank’s fraud department and that they had identified them as being susceptible to fraud.

“The criminals then advised Accies to move their funds into another account and that’s when the money vanished.”

It’s been reported the raid plundered funds set aside for vital upgrades at Accies’ SuperSeal Stadium.

Is there any reason to suspect they wouldn't have joined in the bloodlust, vindictiveness and gloating of the rest of them if they had been in the SPL?
No sympathy for them.

It's this kind of irrational hate that gets trotted out when we talk of "building bridges"

Accies voted to grant our license to play in the SFL. Their Chairman has openly supported our return to the Premiership.
Aim your hate at those who really done for us and leave the decent people alone, will you and others never learn that we can't get back into positions of power without allies.

No sympathy for them.

You do know how mental you sound?

It's this kind of irrational hate that gets trotted out when we talk of "building bridges"

Accies voted to grant our license to play in the SFL. Their Chairman has openly supported our return to the Premiership.
Aim your hate at those who really done for us and leave the decent people alone, will you and others never learn that we can't get back into positions of power without allies.

well said.

CRIMINALS posed as officials from a bank’s fraud department to dupe Hamilton Academical FC into handing over almost £1m million, according to sources.

Today, we can reveal how the fraudsters are thought to have conned the South Lanarkshire club.

A source familiar with details of the fraud said: “There’s sympathy for what’s happened but there’s a degree of surprise they’ve fallen for the scam.

“It seems fraudsters contacted Accies to say they were from their bank’s fraud department and that they had identified them as being susceptible to fraud.

“The criminals then advised Accies to move their funds into another account and that’s when the money vanished.”

It’s been reported the raid plundered funds set aside for vital upgrades at Accies’ SuperSeal Stadium.

Then surely it must have been someone high up in the financial team/club that has been taken in. A wee admin person paying invoices wouldn't have the authority to move that kind of money to a new account. How could they have been so stupid?

Surely the bank can follow the cash and there will be a trail

I'd have thought the bank would query and suspicious transaction and block it. They could be liable.

I'd have thought the bank would query and suspicious transaction and block it. They could be liable.

My other half is a trustee of a charity that got wiped out a few months ago, and Barclays are giving them short shrift.

Always had a soft spot for Accies but, like in case of my other half's charity - they probably won't pay unless there is a clear breach on their part.

Yeah, can't wait for the day that Accies and Rangers are running Scottish fitba. "Building bridges" indeed.

Have they checked with all the African Princes living in the Hamilton area?

Quite incredible they fell for that if that’s the case.

Banks have made no secret about requesting customers to double and triple check the veracity of any ‘calls’ like this for years now, why on earth wouldn’t you check by communicating with them independently before transferring the guts of £1m into an undisclosed account?

It’s no more sophisticated than those ‘Nigerian Prince’ emails of 10 years ago in execution.

My other half is a trustee of a charity that got wiped out a few months ago, and Barclays are giving them short shrift.

Always had a soft spot for Accies but, like in case of my other half's charity - they probably won't pay unless there is a clear breach on their part.

The only way Accies are getting the cash back is if either the bank can be proven to have been negligent (not performing checks for large sums moving, if they are even meant to check, so highly unlikely the bank will be found at fault at all) or if the cash is traced, found and returned. Their insurance will most likely be voided/wont cover it if someone has deliberately transferred cash/fell for the scam. The bank are not going to pay out on someone else's mistake, the insurance company will do everything in their power to avoid paying out, as they do, and the scammers will not just have left the cash sitting in an account, it will be long gone. Does not look good for them getting their money back at all.

Quite incredible they fell for that if that’s the case.

Banks have made no secret about requesting customers to double and triple check the veracity of any ‘calls’ like this for years now, why on earth wouldn’t you check by communicating with them independently before transferring the guts of £1m into an undisclosed account?

It’s no more sophisticated than those ‘Nigerian Prince’ emails of 10 years ago in execution.

In fairness, you do hear of phone lines being hacked at the same time. The caller asks the target to google the head office phone number (so the customer is calling a number they 100% know to be genuine/have not been told by the scammer) and when they call out, the scammers direct the call wherever they like.

In fairness, you do hear of phone lines being hacked at the same time. The caller asks the target to google the head office phone number (so the customer is calling a number they 100% know to be genuine/have not been told by the scammer) and when they call out, the scammers direct the call wherever they like.

Fair point. That’s maybe where the ‘sophisticated’ part comes in.

I would find it difficult to believe them getting reeled in if it wasn’t something of that nature.

My understanding is that if the payment is physically authorised by someone typing in a code or PIN then the bank hold no liability because they haven't been negligent. It's not the same as if someone has hacked the bank's computer system and cleared the account out.

The cash will be long gone in the banking system now.

Fair point. That’s maybe where the ‘sophisticated’ part comes in.

I would find it difficult to believe them getting reeled in if it wasn’t something of that nature.

I think a few years ago it would take someone extremely paranoid to not fall for that as a scam. Today, people would be more savvy I think and perhaps use a different mobile to call out or even visit a branch.

Again in fairness, if I was phoned up about possibly losing 750k, I would be demanding face to face meetings with the bank manager, not dealing with it over the phone. Someone has fucked up big style no matter what has happened here.

I'm very surprised that someone transferred that amount of money without checking with the bank first to see if it was legit. I widdnae transfer a fiver without checking first ffsake

Who the hell gets a phone call, from your bank or anyone, and actually gives details over the line?

It would have taken 2 minutes to hang up and phone the proper number to check it was real. Whoever did this is either in on it or incompetent.

Yeah, can't wait for the day that Accies and Rangers are running Scottish fitba. "Building bridges" indeed.

What would you suggest?

We don't speak to any other club, don't get on various football boards and allow the Mhanks to run the show forever.

That sounds like a plan..........indeed

Hamilton aren't a team I have a problem with.

I know not many had any sympathy for us when the rats were allowed to run riot fleecing us.

Hope they recover from this a club who gives young guys a chance to break into the game.

Hamilton aren't a team I have a problem with.

I know not many had any sympathy for us when the rats were allowed to run riot fleecing us.

Hope they recover from this a club who gives young guys a chance to break into the game.
Just like the rest of scottish football clubs did , we should sit back and do nothing.

Good luck to Les Gray and Hamilton Academical in trying to get their money back

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18751486

The Scottish FA say Rangers should join Division One, not Division Three.

"Hamilton and the other SFL clubs should not be put in the position to vote on something which may destroy Scottish Football," said chairman Gray.

He then called Regan out

Remember, the SFA were complicit in trying to force unwarranted sanctions on Rangers FC which we told them to ram and we were as a direct result forcibly removed from football to the lowest tier. No sporting rule / sanction required any of it to happen.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan fears placing Rangers in the bottom league would cause serious financial difficulty for clubs.

Gray does not believe any proposal to "parachute" Rangers into the second tier of the senior league set-up will get the majority vote at Friday's meeting, highlighting that it is "contrary to Scottish Football League rules".

And he has echoed calls from other clubs for the SFA to take leadership of an overhaul of the Scottish game.

"League reconstruction, play-offs, a fairer financial distribution model and more effective corporate governance are some of the major issues which require to be addressed," added Gray.

"The current circumstances we find ourselves in have created an opportunity for these changes to be implemented.

"We believe the problems facing the game are not of the SFL's making and as such would strongly suggest that the SFA, our governing body, take immediate ownership of the current situation in tandem with the two league bodies, and table a set of proposals at next week's meeting providing a solution for the way forward in the best interests of Scottish football."

Last edited:
Good luck to Les Gray and Hamilton Academical in trying to get their money back

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18751486

The Scottish FA say Rangers should join Division One, not Division Three.

"Hamilton and the other SFL clubs should not be put in the position to vote on something which may destroy Scottish Football," said chairman Gray.

He then called Regan out

Remember, the SFA were complicit in trying to force unwarranted sanctions on Rangers FC which we told them to ram and we were as a direct result forcibly removed from football to the lowest tier. No sporting rule / sanction required any of it to happen.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan fears placing Rangers in the bottom league would cause serious financial difficulty for clubs.

Gray does not believe any proposal to "parachute" Rangers into the second tier of the senior league set-up will get the majority vote at Friday's meeting, highlighting that it is "contrary to Scottish Football League rules".

And he has echoed calls from other clubs for the SFA to take leadership of an overhaul of the Scottish game.

"League reconstruction, play-offs, a fairer financial distribution model and more effective corporate governance are some of the major issues which require to be addressed," added Gray.

"The current circumstances we find ourselves in have created an opportunity for these changes to be implemented.

"We believe the problems facing the game are not of the SFL's making and as such would strongly suggest that the SFA, our governing body, take immediate ownership of the current situation in tandem with the two league bodies, and table a set of proposals at next week's meeting providing a solution for the way forward in the best interests of Scottish football."
Seems like we may owe Hamilton one; a friendly or something?

They don’t hack the line, they just keep it open from when they first call the victim. This only works if the victim tries to call the number on the same line they received the fraudulent call on. When the victim thinks they have hung up, the cu.nts are still on the line.

The bank are not going to help if it’s not the banks fault

They don’t hack the line, they just keep it open from when they first call the victim. This only works if the victim tries to call the number on the same line they received the fraudulent call on. When the victim thinks they have hung up, the cu.nts are still on the line.

That is one way of doing it, yes. Phone lines can also be remotely controlled, in more sophisticated cases.

The fraudsters must have not believed their luck.

Imagine the fear the person has going into work tomorrow who caused the mess.

Who the hell gets a phone call, from your bank or anyone, and actually gives details over the line?

It would have taken 2 minutes to hang up and phone the proper number to check it was real. Whoever did this is either in on it or incompetent.

I can understand some wee old biddy getting taken in but a business with a finance team should have measures in place that it prevent it happening. One of the problems is footballclubs probably move large sums of money regularly so it might not strike the bank as unusual activity.

The bank isn't liable if a Hamilton employee goes into branch/goes on Internet banking and says 'transfer £X into this account.'

A significant part of that cash will likely be corporation and vat that get paid at end of year and quarter respectively

I actually feel sorry for them and hope they get it sorted

I hate their stadium and pitch but it gives me no pleasure in thinking they are in serious bother.

Had it been the likes of Dundee United that would be a different matter.

Back